Metroplex
Sponsored by

North Texas Drought

76,847 Views | 800 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by riverrataggie
ChoppinDs40
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Celina is worse than Prosper actually.
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
ChoppinDs40 said:

I'll see your 20,000 gallons and raise you to 63,000 gallons and a $750 water bill. How the hell did we even use that much water.
planoaggie123
AG
I am expecting nearly 30K - 35K this month....part of that is "recovery" watering from under-watering previously. Hoping in about 4 weeks to reduce the water lengths by a substantial amount....
Robert C. Christian
AG
planoaggie123 said:

I am expecting nearly 30K - 35K this month....part of that is "recovery" watering from under-watering previously. Hoping in about 4 weeks to reduce the water lengths by a substantial amount....
I really hope we get some rain some but, all the info I am seeing from NWS point to this continuing on.

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/
ChoppinDs40
AG
Red Pear DFW Luke said:

ChoppinDs40 said:

I'll see your 20,000 gallons and raise you to 63,000 gallons and a $750 water bill. How the hell did we even use that much water.

Uhh, that's got to be a misreading unless you're watering an acre to look like a rainforest and filled a pool.
Prince_Ahmed
ChoppinDs40 said:

Red Pear DFW Luke said:

ChoppinDs40 said:

Uhh, that's got to be a misreading unless you're watering an acre to look like a rainforest and filled a pool.
It's not hard to get to 30,000 gallons if you're watering 1/4 an acre twice a week. If someone is watering every day, or every other day I can see how they'd use 60k+
Spaceship
AG
My bill just read 50,000 gallons for my 1/3 acre lot with no pool. By far my highest ever. The cost for that is $385.
nai06
AG
I am shocked at y'all's numbers. My highest reading in the last year was 20,000 gallons because I had a leak in my outdoor cabana from the winter storm that I didn't catch right away.

I just got my latest bill in and I'm up to 6000 gallons which I've attributed to having to fill my pool a little more often this summer.

Robert C. Christian
AG
nai06 said:

I am shocked at y'all's numbers. My highest reading in the last year was 20,000 gallons because I had a leak in my outdoor cabana from the winter storm that I didn't catch right away.

I just got my latest bill in and I'm up to 6000 gallons which I've attributed to having to fill my pool a little more often this summer.

Cue the Vivaldi!
ChoppinDs40
AG
Prince_Ahmed said:

ChoppinDs40 said:

Red Pear DFW Luke said:

ChoppinDs40 said:

It's not hard to get to 30,000 gallons if you're watering 1/4 an acre twice a week. If someone is watering every day, or every other day I can see how they'd use 60k+
yeah... 30k gallons isn't 63k.

I water my grass twice a week and run the zones twice each time, so call it 4x. I also do a 45minute tree bubbler and 45 minute foundation drip.

My Rainbird controller "adjusts" to weather conditions... it's been running 200% of the standard run times so about 4 hours, twice per week on the standard cycle. Granted, these newer homes use the drip lines for beds and the smaller rotors and pop-ups so they're pretty efficient. No Hunter PGP rotors that throw serious water.

But yeah, every day waterer is going to have a super lush green yard and could maybe hit 45k+... that's still an ass-ton of water.
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
ChoppinDs40 said:

Prince_Ahmed said:

ChoppinDs40 said:

Red Pear DFW Luke said:

ChoppinDs40 said:

I water my grass twice a week and run the zones twice each time, so call it 4x. I also do a 45minute tree bubbler and 45 minute foundation drip.

My Rainbird controller "adjusts" to weather conditions... it's been running 200% of the standard run times so about 4 hours, twice per week on the standard cycle. Granted, these newer homes use the drip lines for beds and the smaller rotors and pop-ups so they're pretty efficient. No Hunter PGP rotors that throw serious water.

But yeah, every day waterer is going to have a super lush green yard and could maybe hit 45k+... that's still an ass-ton of water.
As the man with 63,000 usage and a Highland Built Home - my yards were not even close to super lush or green. Still looks like it's bone dry and everything is dying.
nai06
AG
Lol its been more of a hassle than anything else. There's a covered outdoor kitchen and seating area with a half bath. The previous owners broke the grill by snapping the control knobs off and bent the valve in the process so it just leaks gas. The hot water line was busted and at one point there was an outdoor shower that had a leak so they just took the head off, wrapped some tape around the leak, and put siding over it. That's what ended up bursting during the freeze along with the toilet line.

Ill eventually get it all replaced and working properly.
ChoppinDs40
AG
has to be a leak or a mis-reading.
Prince_Ahmed
Red Pear DFW Luke said:

ChoppinDs40 said:

Prince_Ahmed said:

ChoppinDs40 said:

Red Pear DFW Luke said:

ChoppinDs40 said:

As the man with 63,000 usage and a Highland Built Home - my yards were not even close to super lush or green. Still looks like it's bone dry and everything is dying.
But how often are you watering? When's the last time you measured how much water they put out (inches per cycle)? That's the question - not how dead your grass is.

But to the other poster, an every day waterer is going to use 45k gallons? Yes that's an ass-ton of water, but if you're watering a half inch per cycle, that's about 3,400 gallons of water per cycle on a quarter acre yard. If you water every other day, that's 50,000 gallons/month. Five days a week would be almost 74,000 gallons of water a month. Water an inch per cycle and the numbers double.

Yes these are crazy numbers, but in the suburbs where people know nothing about lawn maintenance and let tons of it evaporate in this heat, or dump it all at once in hour-long cycles and let it run off.... it's not uncommon to hit those numbers.
ChoppinDs40
AG
Prince_Ahmed said:

Red Pear DFW Luke said:

ChoppinDs40 said:

Prince_Ahmed said:

ChoppinDs40 said:

Red Pear DFW Luke said:

ChoppinDs40 said:

But how often are you watering? When's the last time you measured how much water they put out (inches per cycle)? That's the question - not how dead your grass is.

But to the other poster, an every day waterer is going to use 45k gallons? Yes that's an ass-ton of water, but if you're watering a half inch per cycle, that's about 3,400 gallons of water per cycle on a quarter acre yard. If you water every other day, that's 50,000 gallons/month. Five days a week would be almost 74,000 gallons of water a month. Water an inch per cycle and the numbers double.

Yes these are crazy numbers, but in the suburbs where people know nothing about lawn maintenance and let tons of it evaporate in this heat, or dump it all at once in hour-long cycles and let it run off.... it's not uncommon to hit those numbers.

I guess my AGRO302 with Dubel paid off

twice a week, about 25 mins each cycle. I've got so many zone that it's about 2 hours between each zone. Start at 430AM and 630AM. I should probably do that even earlier right now with the sun already blasting at 8am. I think the 630AM run is getting pushed back much farther right now.
PlanoAg98
AG
Quote:

twice a week, about 25 mins each cycle. I've got so many zone that it's about 2 hours between each zone. Start at 430AM and 630AM. I should probably do that even earlier right now with the sun already blasting at 8am. I think the 630AM run is getting pushed back much farther right now.

Do you think we 25 minutes/zone time 2 cycles?

We are all in the same drought. I have 10 zones which would be 250 minutes (> 4hours) per cycle. I currently have it set at 10 minutes/zone and only 1 cycle. That's 1h 40m of watering and I start at 4am. I start at 4am as I have 3 zones of drip irrigation going around the house for 30 minutes each at 6a, 7a, & 8a.
Ark03
AG
ChoppinDs40 said:

Prince_Ahmed said:

Red Pear DFW Luke said:

ChoppinDs40 said:

Prince_Ahmed said:

ChoppinDs40 said:

Red Pear DFW Luke said:

ChoppinDs40 said:

I guess my AGRO302 with Dubel paid off

I assume you've checked your meter with everything off to see if it's still turning?

I'd take a look at your meter before and after watering to see how much it puts out in a full cycle.
ChoppinDs40
AG
PlanoAg98 said:

Quote:

Do you think we 25 minutes/zone time 2 cycles?

We are all in the same drought. I have 10 zones which would be 250 minutes (> 4hours) per cycle. I currently have it set at 10 minutes/zone and only 1 cycle. That's 1h 40m of watering and I start at 4am. I start at 4am as I have 3 zones of drip irrigation going around the house for 30 minutes each at 6a, 7a, & 8a.
I've got 12 zones including a foundation drip and tree bubblers. So of the 10, that's 6 pop-ups, 2 rotors, 2 drips for beds/sidewalk grass. My Friday scheduled run is going to do 2hours 41 mins... twice. That's 11 mins on pop-ups, 24 on rotors, 16 on sidewalk drip, 31 on flowerbed drip (probably an overkill since most my annuals are now dead).

You want to water deep but at some point, the water runs off since it cant absorb fast enough... let them soak in (especially with this clay soil) and then hit them again.

Watering deep and less often pushes your plants to grow deeper roots.

You probably have St. Augstine in Plano (we did when we lived there). It's not going to look good at all during this heat but it's better for the grass. If you want it to have nice full blades in this heat, you'll be watering every day or every other day.
riverrataggie
AG
So looks like rain chances are gone for the weekend.

I'm in Vegas this week. It's cooler here. They actually get rain. Weird summer for sure.
ChoppinDs40
AG
Gunter is out of water.
Signel
AG
1997aggies said:

I currently live in Argyle, TX. This is the worst drought I have seen in years. Please God give us rain!!!
I want to say 2016 or 2011 was the worst in recent memory. Lewisville lake was lower than I've ever seen. Right now it ain't bad.

Lewisville (TX)
-1.71 Not even 2 feet low. https://www.lakelevels.info/USA/Texas/
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
ChoppinDs40 said:

Gunter is out of water.

The worst part is Anna, Gunter, Celina, and lots of these North Collin County cities are woefully unprepared for all the exploding growth and the underinvestment (prior to it happening or in it's early stages) to prepare ahead of time. They will all be reactive vs proactive and it's going to cause significant growing pains.
mosdefn14
AG
So let's tell people not to run the dishwasher (at like 3 gallons a cycle, a full days worth) and instead have them hand wash at 2 gallons a minute each meal?
planoaggie123
AG
mosdefn14 said:

So let's tell people not to run the dishwasher (at like 3 gallons a cycle, a full days worth) and instead have them hand wash at 2 gallons a minute each meal?

Well...they do say "and sink water" which means basically dont use any water anywhere for any reason other than maybe drinking.

I hate this situation....sad that cities can get away with exploding growth to drive up tax revenues but somehow waste the money on needless things vs critical infrastructure....same with Texas and our own energy infrastructure...
ChoppinDs40
AG
apparently it has nothing to do with growth...

they have a pump that's out and it couldn't fill the tower... someone definitely screwed up.

Lake levels are fine so there isn't any real "need" for water restrictions anywhere at the moment.
YouBet
AG
Zero concept of gallon usage. Just never looked at it but y'all got me curious. My July bill was exactly 20,000 gallons and our annual average is 10,000 gallons. Lot is 12,600 feet with a smaller pool. I have 5 sprinkler zones that I run 2-3x per week. (I have an original Imperial analog sprinkler system and I'm missing a pin so it runs 3x every other week.)

Feel like I'm doing ok but maybe that's high for my sq footage. No clue.
catfan
I visited a friend in Carrollton last weekend. Most yards are bone dry and quite a few don't mow them. Nice!
Absolute
AG
Red Pear DFW Luke said:

ChoppinDs40 said:

Gunter is out of water.

The worst part is Anna, Gunter, Celina, and lots of these North Collin County cities are woefully unprepared for all the exploding growth and the underinvestment (prior to it happening or in it's early stages) to prepare ahead of time. They will all be reactive vs proactive and it's going to cause significant growing pains.
This. All these little towns have had explosive (relatively) growth and have done little to nothing to expand infrastructure. Yes, this summer is hot and dry, but the "drought" is nothing like some we have had in the past. But back then these little towns weren't really growing.

Yet another example of the complete lack of competent leadership and planning that are ruining everything. It will get worse before it gets better. If it ever actually gets better, which I have pretty significant doubts about.
HarleySpoon
AG
Raining in torrents here……lots of thunder and lightening….probably a half inch in the last 20 minutes. Southwest of Gainesville.
agcrock2005
AG
Pretty dark in Northlake and thundering, but not letting myself get hopes up.
wangus12
AG
Looks like McKinney gonna be missed again
planoaggie123
AG
Tiny rain amount in Plano. Doesn't look like we will get enough to register but maybe it lingers…
ChoppinDs40
AG
same in prosper.. little drizzle and came down hard in some areas for a few minutes.

At least it cooled off. Just got off the golf course and that northern wind with clouds was a savior on the back 9.
hbc07
AG
Not a drop in Carrollton.
wangus12
AG
Very little drizzle. Not enough to dampen the concrete. Was nice to see something falling though. Lasted about 3 minutes maybe

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.