Metroplex
Sponsored by

North Texas Drought

77,606 Views | 800 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by riverrataggie
bco2003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Measured 0.12" of rain in Frisco. Will take anything I can get.
bco2003
AG
O, and I have been negligent on getting soaker hoses for the foundation. Unfortunately seeing some cracks in various walls & sticky doors to show for it.
notex
AG
Yes, a real monsoon.

agcrock2005
AG
bco2003 said:

O, and I have been negligent on getting soaker hoses for the foundation. Unfortunately seeing some cracks in various walls & sticky doors to show for it.
You just reminded me to set up another program for foundation watering only. Any folks know how often we should water foundation in this crazy ass heat/lack of rain?
Fenrir
agcrock2005 said:

bco2003 said:

You just reminded me to set up another program for foundation watering only. Any folks know how often we should water foundation in this crazy ass heat/lack of rain?
Honestly I don't know how much good soaker hoses have done for me. I try to do it for a bit every night but there is still noticeable gaps along my foundation perimeter. It's just too damn hot, I don't have a lot of shade, and I have some pretty expansive soils in my area. In the future my plan is to look into getting an irrigation zone set up just for my foundation perimeter with a soil/moisture sensor controller.
agcrock2005
AG
Yeah, my irrigation system has a zone specifically for foundation so I'm setting up a program just for that one, but don't know how often to do it. Probably switch it to 5 days a week for now and see how it reacts. Thanks for info.
Fenrir
agcrock2005 said:

Yeah, my irrigation system has a zone specifically for foundation so I'm setting up a program just for that one, but don't know how often to do it. Probably switch it to 5 days a week for now and see how it reacts. Thanks for info.
I'm not really sure (I imagine the ideal amount changes depending on soil type) that's why my plan is to eventually incorporate a controller with a soil moisture sensor.

Something like this
https://www.rainbird.com/products/smrt-y-soil-moisture-sensor
HarleySpoon
AG
Decay said:

Couldn't believe it. Checked two vehicle thermometers and still didn't believe it. Then I checked the analog thermometer hanging in the barn. The 73 was of course during the heaviest rain. Have two walls of windows on our hilltop house....we kind of watched the whole popcorn storm form up a couple of miles to the west....so it may have just gotten that cool where the initial formation occurred. Was pretty extraordinary.
HarleySpoon
AG
Decay said:

So even if we're not getting a lot here, looks like upstream is getting it more consistent. Should help lakes at least.
Really just enough to settle the dust and help the pastures.....not really enough run off to affect the trees, lakes or aquafers.
wangus12
AG
Seriously, what bad karma have I earned lol

ChoppinDs40
AG
wangus12 said:

Seriously, what bad karma have I earned lol

melissa city dump rain bubble?
riverrataggie
AG
Water bill is 525 all in.
PlanoAg98
AG
Quote:

Are you refilling a pool?
nai06
AG
My water bill was a little higher than normal last month at $78. I have a pool and no kids. $500 is more than my electric water, and internet combined.
riverrataggie
AG
PlanoAg98 said:

Quote:

I did have to refill about 12k gallons. But I also have 0.9 acres. Takes lot of watering.
FincAg
AG
nai06 said:

My water bill was a little higher than normal last month at $78. I have a pool and no kids. $500 is more than my electric water, and internet combined.

Your water was $78? Better question how many gallons did you use?
riverrataggie
AG
FincAg said:

nai06 said:

I could have 0 galling used and my water bill would be higher due to storm drainage fees, meter fees, sewer, and trash.
Coates
riverrataggie said:

PlanoAg98 said:

Quote:

I did have to refill about 12k gallons. But I also have 0.9 acres. Takes lot of watering.

You can call the city and tell them you made a pool repair and they'll credit your account some. The city of Dallas will or did in past.
nai06
AG
FincAg said:

nai06 said:

For that period of 33 days I used 3,044 gallons. Looking at past bills we average between 3000 and 3050 gallons a month.
Carlo4
AG
MW03 said:

Carlo4 said:

I learned something new about watering and will try. Been doing three times a day and will adjust. Appreciate the thread here.

This heat is brutal. No issues in home last year. AC guy said we had a lemon outside unit even though the house is 2018 (bought in 2029).

107 outside. AC can't cool past 75 right now when set lower. Hate to bite the bullet but might need to drop the money.

Any deals or good people you recommend?

Had a Trane XR 16 (5 ton) installed 2 years ago by Harris Air Services. Small business that I've been with for about 7 years now and been pretty pleased. Shoot me a PM if you want more details.

Thanks for responding. Figured out the issue after a few days. My wife's nest app had some default settings that bypassed the schedule shown on the wall.

It was hot in the house because the damn thing detected no movement in the house and shut off the AC or even turned on the heat to jump to the default 76 degree setting.

Turned that garbage off and all our issues went away.
riverrataggie
AG
Coates said:

riverrataggie said:

PlanoAg98 said:

Quote:

You can call the city and tell them you made a pool repair and they'll credit your account some. The city of Dallas will or did in past.

Good to know. Thanks!
YouBet
AG
riverrataggie said:

PlanoAg98 said:

Quote:

Can you let most of that go wild? That's what I would do.

Parents are on an acre and only keep grass in the immediate vicinity of the house. Rest of it is pine trees and wild. Makes no sense to water that much lawn unless you are using it for something?
ChoppinDs40
AG
YouBet said:

riverrataggie said:

PlanoAg98 said:

Quote:

Parents are on an acre and only keep grass in the immediate vicinity of the house. Rest of it is pine trees and wild. Makes no sense to water that much lawn unless you are using it for something?
could be in an HOA that requires mowing.
PlanoAg98
AG
Quote:

The city of Plano will credit up to the past 3 months of excessive water usage if you show them the leak repair receipt.
riverrataggie
AG
YouBet said:

riverrataggie said:

PlanoAg98 said:

Quote:

Are you saying let my bush go wild? I mean is this the 70's?

Tbh, been in this house since 2015 and never had water bills above 350. This is a unique situation. Most of the time my water bill in summers is about 250 bucks and winter 125 or so.
FincAg
AG
nai06 said:

FincAg said:

nai06 said:

For that period of 33 days I used 3,044 gallons. Looking at past bills we average between 3000 and 3050 gallons a month.

This made me wonder. We used 25,000 gallons water and 9,300 gallons sewer. 6/15-7/13. I did run the soaker hoses overnight a few times for the trees.

Has never been below 6,000 gallons.
Pignorant
AG
Pretty sure this is a foundation related roof collapse. Right by my house.

akaggie05
AG
That or the fact that they likely slapped a heavy tile roof on a structure that wasn't designed for it?
Garrelli 5000
AG
PlanoAg98 said:

Quote:

The city of Plano will credit up to the past 3 months of excessive water usage if you show them the leak repair receipt.
Our water has shot up the past few months and we recently figured out we had serious leaks in flower bed drip lines and in the lines under the grass by the street. So much that downstream from the leaks wasn't getting watered.

I need to see if Frisco offers a similar credit.
Staff - take out the trash.
FDXAg
AG
Very sad sight.... Large fire in Balch Springs has reached a neighborhood.

agcrock2005
AG
Sad
ChoppinDs40
AG
Garrelli 5000 said:

PlanoAg98 said:

Quote:

Our water has shot up the past few months and we recently figured out we had serious leaks in flower bed drip lines and in the lines under the grass by the street. So much that downstream from the leaks wasn't getting watered.

I need to see if Frisco offers a similar credit.
those damn Highland/Huntington homes

Drip lines are great but maintenance sucks and you can't really see what they're doing. I want to put popups in my bed to know they're getting water. My annuals in the drip lines have done very poorly.

Also, you probably know this but price per gallon is graduated. So if you go over certain usage, each additional gallon costs more... we used 20k gallons last month (watering like crazy)... $275 bill

Prosper water is expensive!
FDXAg
AG
Prosper water is cheap compared to Fort Worth City water....
ChoppinDs40
AG
FDXAg said:

Maybe but liquid gold compared to Plano. Damn it was cheap down there
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
ChoppinDs40 said:

FDXAg said:

Maybe but liquid gold compared to Plano. Damn it was cheap down there

Preach. I was surprised at how expensive water was up near prosper/Celina vs Plano too.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.