Metroplex
Sponsored by

North Texas Drought

77,638 Views | 800 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by riverrataggie
planoaggie123
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It is a tough balance right now....I was under-watering trying to be a good person + save money...lawn starting showing signs of being thirsty so the past few weeks i picked it back up and am expecting to feel the hit in the wallet but still cheaper than having to replace large portions of lawn in the fall.....

The pool stuff stinks a bit too....my overflow gate is not at a great location (lower than i want vs skimmer) so I have to fill up about every 6 days...
nai06
AG
PlanoAg98 said:

For the past month, I was watering every morning at 4am and letting all 10 zones run for 5 minutes. I did the same thing at 5 am. That plus having to put an inch of water in my pool each day, I got my water utility bill for the past month. Needless to day, I cut back to every other day and only 1 round of 5 minutes per station. Can't do anything about the pool evaporation/refill though.

Every day? I water twice a week and maybe have to fill the pool once a week. The lawn has a few stressed areas but it will survive.
YouBet
AG
PlanoAg98 said:

For the past month, I was watering every morning at 4am and letting all 10 zones run for 5 minutes. I did the same thing at 5 am. That plus having to put an inch of water in my pool each day, I got my water utility bill for the past month. Needless to day, I cut back to every other day and only 1 round of 5 minutes per station. Can't do anything about the pool evaporation/refill though.
Every day is extreme. You are better off doing less frequent, deeper watering.

I'm still running my 2x per week cycle. And if you are having to put water in your pool every day you may have a leak. I'm only having to put an inch in once every 7-10 days.
Pepper Brooks
AG
I'm still on 30 min 2x per week for the turf. I go every other day on the flowerbeds as of the bushes were planted in May and are showing a lot of signs of distress.
“There is no red.
There is no blue.
There is the state.
And there is you.”

“As government expands, Liberty contracts” - R. Reagan
PlanoAg98
AG
Quote:

And if you are having to put water in your pool every day you may have a leak.
I did the bucket test and about 1.5" is evaporating per day.
Decay
AG
PlanoAg98 said:

Quote:

Your pool needs some shade
YouBet
AG
Decay said:

PlanoAg98 said:

Quote:

Your pool needs some shade
Yeah, my pool has a lot of shade which probably accounts for the difference.
planoaggie123
AG
PlanoAg98 said:

Quote:

WOW. Do you have a lot of water features and zero shade?

My pool has no trees / coverage other than the house but that is early morning shade and by noon its fully sun.

I lose ballpark quarter inch per day in summer....less in winter obviously....
notex
AG
planoaggie123 said:

It is a tough balance right now....I was under-watering trying to be a good person + save money...lawn starting showing signs of being thirsty so the past few weeks i picked it back up and am expecting to feel the hit in the wallet but still cheaper than having to replace large portions of lawn in the fall.....

The pool stuff stinks a bit too....my overflow gate is not at a great location (lower than i want vs skimmer) so I have to fill up about every 6 days...
I've been adding water every other day for an hour to two hours to my pool also. No shade on mine. I don't water my yard too much though. My actual water charges are only about 11 bucks a month annually (never more than 4800 gallons), though with account fee etc. it's still probably 30-40 bucks a month.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Headed to car wash now to do rain dance. Small chances this evening now showing up
planoaggie123
AG
Make sure to do the Deluxe w/ the wheels / tires, etc.....that increases odds....
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
planoaggie123 said:

Make sure to do the Deluxe w/ the wheels / tires, etc.....that increases odds....

It does it all! Most expensive on the the board that way I can take it home and put it in the driveway to get down poured on.
The Collective
AG
I even added essential oils to my wash, so my car knows it's special.
Old School Brother
My pool loses a ton of water too. Several factors. No shade other than house very late in the evening, overflow grate at bad spot relative to skimmer height, as was mentioned, and high winds in my area. We live on the corner of an all acre lot neighborhood surrounded by mostly farmland, so there is nothing to break the wind. Between water features (which I sometimes turn off) and water getting blown out the overflow, I'm having to add 1-1.5 inches every 3rd day or so.
planoaggie123
AG
So we are looking to do some plaster work on our pool....one of the owners of the companies we are talking to said a lot of his former clients are losing 1/2" to 3/4" per day so you are not alone but it doesnt make it fun either...
Decay
AG
Makes me so glad I don't have a pool. My buddy has a cover, I should ask him if that's helping him keep it from evaporating
Fenrir
Depending on the type of cover, it should. Vinyl and solar covers should definitely help reduce evaporation. If you have a rectangular pool it shouldn't be too costly to get one but if you have an odd shaped pool you'd be looking at a custom size/shape cover or doing something like this.
1997aggies
AG
The last day it rained in Argyle was on June 6.
wangus12
AG
Lot of somewhat dark clouds in North McKinney. I just started my soaker hoses to tempt them to let some water out
Robert C. Christian
AG
Eeesh man, these temps.
Decay
AG
Rain looks so close! Come on!
Absolute
AG
Washed my car, ran my soaker, and filled the pool for an hour. Doesn't look hopeful tonight in North Dallas. Crossing fingers for tomorrow!
agcrock2005
AG
1997aggies said:

The last day it rained in Argyle was on June 6.
Hey neighbor! Looked like we might get some tonight...
FDXAg
AG
Rain in NW Fort Worth! (Very light rain, but still rain)
ChoppinDs40
AG
Raining in prosper!! A nice little soaking
wangus12
AG
Not sure how much we got but its damp outside my house. Still let the sprinklers run this morning
YouBet
AG
All that rain sitting about 2 miles north of me and none of it touching me.
Old Buffalo
AG
Frisco is nice right now. What is this stuff falling from the sky? Am I allowed to let it touch my skin?
“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Nice to wake up to rain here in Prosper... Washing the truck always works.
agcrock2005
AG
Little sprinkles in Northlake. Hopefully they get larger and more prolific!
HarleySpoon
AG
Got a 1/4 inch yesterday evening…..puddles and mud. Temp went from 103 to 73 in about 20 minutes. Stayed pretty cool the rest of the evening. Light sprinkles right now. West of Gainesville.
Decay
AG
hbc07
AG
SO far some light sprinkles in Carrollton for a few minutes around 8am
Ark03
AG
I got 0.04 inches in Lewisville. Just enough to add some humidity to the heat. And that was the first drop in 46 days.
Decay
AG
So even if we're not getting a lot here, looks like upstream is getting it more consistent. Should help lakes at least.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.