Metroplex
Sponsored by

North Texas Drought

80,275 Views | 800 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by riverrataggie
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
riverrataggie said:

Thoughts on when it will rain again? Going on 2 months here at the house.
September at the earliest sounds like.
riverrataggie
AG
YouBet said:

riverrataggie said:

Thoughts on when it will rain again? Going on 2 months here at the house.
September at the earliest sounds like.

Might as well just say no rain till 2023.
FincAg
AG
Efficient Home Solutions has been good to us over the years. Honest and about avenge in cost.
wangus12
AG
Had my wife turn the soakers on earlier and she cranked them all the way so now the yards flooded lol
Ernest Tucker
AG
CoppellAg93 said:

YouBet said:

I'm at the point in this season of Hell of trying to determine how some plants are absolutely frying and then the same plant literally next to it getting the same sun and water is perfectly fine.

I'm terribly vexed.
I feel your pain.

We literally have a spot in one of our front yard flower beds that has killed multiple plants the last couple years. The same plant next to it is growing like a weed. Even our landscape guy is baffled by it.

Sometimes shadows can move across a yard keeping some spots cooler

Or, conversely, there could be reflections off a window (neighbor or yours) that could absolutely roast some spots.
Garrelli 5000
AG
All 4 arborvitae in or front beds are red dirt colored. We had significant drip line blowouts ahead of them that took multiple efforts to fix until the company finally ripped out the old crappy cheap lines and replaced.

Too late, damage already done. Lord willing they'll come back.
Staff - take out the trash.
ChoppinDs40
AG
I get the reason why drip lines are popular for water saving reasons and "watering the roots" but gdamn if I didn't think they were huge pieces of junk…

I really want to rip them out and put pop ups. That way I know what's getting watered and what isn't.

I purposely put my annuals directly on drip lines and those have been roasted for weeks now.

Water calcifies and clogs those tiny holes. I dread the day of having to pay to replace all that crap.

Thanks Highland homes
planoaggie123
AG
Previous home...We "invested" in drip lines....not massive $$ but for us a decent chunk at the time....by the time we moved out we had already repaired several cracks and one section that clogged. I honestly don't even know if working by the end of it all...i eventually just turned off.

Current house...the previous owners just ran a drip hose above the ground ALL THE WAY AROUND our house. It was cracked as well and did not work...just leaked out in sections...

Me....I am done with drip lines for the time being.....

Edit: the current home / above ground drip line was great for stains on concrete too which is outstanding...
YouBet
AG
Ernest Tucker said:

CoppellAg93 said:

YouBet said:

I'm at the point in this season of Hell of trying to determine how some plants are absolutely frying and then the same plant literally next to it getting the same sun and water is perfectly fine.

I'm terribly vexed.
I feel your pain.

We literally have a spot in one of our front yard flower beds that has killed multiple plants the last couple years. The same plant next to it is growing like a weed. Even our landscape guy is baffled by it.

Or, conversely, there could be reflections off a window (neighbor or yours) that could absolutely roast some spots.
Yes, I've seen this happen with some other spots. I lost one of my hydrangeas because it was too close to a wall. Basically a convection oven off that wall.

However, the two plants I'm confused by have nothing around them that would cause indirect impact nor different shadowing. It's 4 pittosporum in a row. Two on the left are fine; two on the right are fried. All same sun, shadowing, and water. Ideally, I would have much more shade for all of them but we lost a giant shrub/tree during the freeze that used to shade the whole area and I haven't replaced it yet.
ChoppinDs40
AG
have you tried replacing/mixing the soil in that area? could maybe be some bugs/infestation/fungus right there.

I'd rip them out... completely change the soil (as in, pull the old stuff out and dispose of it) and start over
CoppellAg93
AG
Ernest Tucker said:

CoppellAg93 said:

YouBet said:

I'm terribly vexed.
I feel your pain.

Yeah - that exact thing happens each year to a patch of grass between my house and the neighbor. A sprinkler head is right in the middle of the spot - took me a few years to realize what was happening - actually saw the reflection from the neighbor's window on the grass one afternoon by chance.
ChoppinDs40
AG
CoppellAg93 said:

Ernest Tucker said:

CoppellAg93 said:

YouBet said:

I'm terribly vexed.
I feel your pain.

Yeah - that exact thing happens each year to a patch of grass between my house and the neighbor. A sprinkler head is right in the middle of the spot - took me a few years to realize what was happening - actually saw the reflection from the neighbor's window on the grass one afternoon by chance.
time to rip his fence down.
DadAG10
wangus12 said:

Had my wide turn the soakers on earlier and she cranked them all the way so now the yards flooded lol
Does she know you call her that?
PlanoAg98
AG
Quote:

Me....I am done with drip lines for the time being.....

Are you using drip irrigation (top) or soaker (bottom) hoses?

planoaggie123
AG
So we just rely on watering through our system at this point....we have heads around about 85% or more of the house.

The previous owner had the soaker hose (black) running around and it was old / cracked.

Our first home we had a sprinkler company install "true" drip irrigation (pipes).
YouBet
AG
ChoppinDs40 said:

have you tried replacing/mixing the soil in that area? could maybe be some bugs/infestation/fungus right there.

I'd rip them out... completely change the soil (as in, pull the old stuff out and dispose of it) and start over
No, but that would be the next step.
wangus12
AG
DadAG10 said:

wangus12 said:

Had my wide turn the soakers on earlier and she cranked them all the way so now the yards flooded lol
Does she know you call her that?
*********it lol
riverrataggie
AG
Well looks like the forecast is pulling the rain from this week. Thought we might actually get some since we were 48 hours in window.
PlanoAg98
AG
45% - I'll take it!

riverrataggie
AG
Same site says 20% for me.

Maybe it's just me and rain hates me.
ChoppinDs40
AG
Had my wife's car detailed on Sunday. Of course it will rain now.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
I hit the car wash on Saturday and will likely run through again here this evening hoping to pull some of that liquid gold from the sky.
riverrataggie
AG
I'm gonna fill up pool, wash both cars, run sprinklers tonight and tomorrow morning.
wangus12
AG
ChoppinDs40 said:

Had my wife's car detailed on Sunday. Of course it will rain now.

Sacrifices will by remembered
YouBet
AG
Supposed to be <100 rest of week. That's at least something.

In the meantime, our walk up to front door has completely separated from the slab at this point. Nice.

IOW, the house moved and left the first two steps where they were.
wangus12
AG
Sounds like my neighborhood is actually getting a little bit of rain right now
Yesterday
AG
Breaking up just west of 35. Come on man!!!!!
Garrelli 5000
AG
It's actually raining here in Frisco.

What does it mean?

Will I live?

Staff - take out the trash.
agcrock2005
AG
Argyle/Northlake got a nice bit of rain! Still raining so hopefully more to come.

On a side note hopefully this is hitting some of the lakes that need water so bad!
bert harbinson
AG
Once again a promising looking radar return falls apart on approach.
PlanoAg98
AG
Well... that was pretty uneventful here in Plano. It looked like a good rainfall but only lasted for 10 minutes. I checked the rain gauge outside and not even 1/16 of an inch.
riverrataggie
AG
Got our first drop here in Lakewood in 65 days or so. That said, stuff under trees is still dry.
riverrataggie
AG
Coming down hard now. We might be at a tenth of an inch so far.

Now watch all the trees fall over Bc the roots are brittle and the ground gets some saturation.
Yesterday
AG
Went right around Southlake. Ducking cock sucking mother ****er
wangus12
AG
Sounds like a ton in Dallas

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.