Metroplex
Sponsored by

North Texas Drought

77,602 Views | 800 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by riverrataggie
planoaggie123
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I would get some opinions on your system before I replaced. What is wrong exactly? If a lemon and that new, surely some sort of warranty if less than 5 years. I could be wrong but I think all units are somehow registered in a database that AC guys can access (an AC group told me my registration info based on model and serial number).

I just replaced a blower For my furnace. My system is about 8 years old and runs on the newest freon and is 16 SEER with variable speed so the guy said he tends to encourage replacement on less efficient and older units.

I recommend John's Heating and Air out of Mansfield. They may charge a trip fee depending on location so check that but they are an honest, family run business. If you call them let me know.
Yesterday
AG
We have our AC at 78 right now on a one story with new windows and it is doing fine. It's tough for any system to cool 40+ degrees though.
planoaggie123
AG
We always run 78. During the day I get too cold in much less. One thing I hate about my company/office.

Night we kick it down to 76 for a few hours while we fall asleep.
FincAg
AG
How long are y'all's a/cs running these days?

We are 80 day and 77 after 7pm but our unit basically runs from noon to 9pm straight when it's 100 outside. I looked back to in our thermostat history and it was the same even a couple years ago.

Single story 1600 sqft with 4 ton Trane.
planoaggie123
AG
I maybe dont pay enough attention but we run pretty continuously starting around 10am or so these days. Our house doesn't get super hot during the day (noted when we had one of our units not working for 4 days last week) but we have high ceilings and it makes the system work pretty constant.
YouBet
AG
I'm in a one story with two units. One unit covers 2/3 of house other unit covers 1/3. The unit covering the 1/3 is set at 75 and is only making 77 right now while the unit with the larger footprint is set at 75 and hitting it.

Latter one is newer though.
Old Buffalo
AG
bco2003 said:

I'm having a new Trane system installed today by The Cold Truth out of the Colony. They also changed out our other system 5 years ago and were pleased with them then. They get good reviews with others in the neighborhood as well.

That being said, I wouldn't consider a system keeping you at 75 in this heat too bad.

+1 for The Cold Truth
“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
J.P. 03
AG
Well this is certainly a pleasant surprise.
YouBet
AG
J.P. 03 said:

Who are you? The Joker?

Droughts aren't a pleasant surprise.
harge57
AG
YouBet said:

J.P. 03 said:

Who are you? The Joker?

Droughts aren't a pleasant surprise.

Probably one of the lucky ones getting a random rain shower right now.
J.P. 03
AG
Sorry, should have clarified. Yes, we were one of the lucky ones who got a surprise rain shower. Blue skies visible in all directions except for one random cloud that decided to open up over our neighborhood. I'll take it. Hopefully it's headed to every single lake in the area next.
Yesterday
AG
FincAg said:

We are 80 day and 77 after 7pm but our unit basically runs from noon to 9pm straight when it's 100 outside. I looked back to in our thermostat history and it was the same even a couple years ago.

We set ours to 74 for the night and it's on and off. We turn it to 78 when we wake up and it won't kick on until 10:30. It's off and on and easily cools to 79. One story 2800 square/ft with new windows. Not sure what size the AC is but I'll look in a bit.

Our old house was two story 3500 sq/ft with tall ceilings and the ac never shut off.
waitwhat?
Yesterday said:

FincAg said:

We set ours to 74 for the night and it's on and off. We turn it to 78 when we wake up and it won't kick on until 10:30. It's off and on and easily cools to 79. One story 2800 square/ft with new windows. Not sure what size the AC is but I'll look in a bit.

Our old house was two story 3500 sq/ft with tall ceilings and the ac never shut off.

Just checked my Ecobee history and I'm in for a real treat with this next electric bill. And that's only one thermostat in my two story dual zone house, so it doesn't include when the downstairs thermostat is calling for air
" 'People that read with pictures think that it's simply about a mask' - Dana Loesch" - Ban Cow Gas

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Dr. Ron Paul

Big Tech IS the empire of lies

TEXIT
clobby
AG
Just got a random storm near 635 and 75
waitwhat?
Lucky duck
" 'People that read with pictures think that it's simply about a mask' - Dana Loesch" - Ban Cow Gas

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Dr. Ron Paul

Big Tech IS the empire of lies

TEXIT
752bro4
AG
We were at the rangers game and came home around 5:00, and caught a shower as we approached downtown. My car thermometer went from 108 to 96. Got home and saw the sidewalks and alleys wet, and our pool umbrella upside down. #blessed
aglaohfour
AG
Driving home from Waco and ran into a shower between West and Hillsboro. Car thermometer dropped from 108 to 75 in two minutes. Was back up to 105 20 minutes after we got through the rain though. Came home (west Fort Worth) hoping we'd gotten some here too, but everything was bone dry.
wangus12
AG
Got nothing rain wise.

Our house tends to stay cooler than most. We keep it at 7578
Coates
clobby said:

Just got a random storm near 635 and 75

Watched it form over my house in north Dallas, heard thunder and got downdraft wind for a few minutes.

How much rain did you end up getting?
Texker
AG
We have 3250sqft with a 4 ton Trane and 3 ton Amana. Both were less than 2 years old when we bought the house so stuck with Seller's stupid decisions and sub-par vendor install.

The Trane app is priceless when it comes to managing the systems. The 4 ton system runs around 8-9 hours per 24 hrs, the 3 ton about 3-4 hours per 24 hrs.

We keep day temps 81-83 with 4 ton. Set the 3 ton to 85-86 during the day since we aren't in that part of the house during business hours.
planoaggie123
AG
Wow. 81 - 83. That is impressive. I get weird looks when I say 78 lol.

The AC covering the side of house with master was out 4 days last week (noticed when went to bed July 4 and for repaired late Fri night) and never went over 83 and would be 80/81 in the AM.
Coates
Are you in the house when it's 81-83? Yikes!

I replaced everything last summer with a 26 seer carrier, 5 ton for a 3100 Sq ft house. Set it at 76 during the day on weekdays, but with the dehumidifier it runs at 20% and keeps it at 72.

Per the thermostat the unit accounted for 881 kw of electricity, no clue if that's good but our bill is under $200 and we're nice and cool 24/7!
YouBet
AG
Coates said:

Are you in the house when it's 81-83? Yikes!

I replaced everything last summer with a 26 seer carrier, 5 ton for a 3100 Sq ft house. Set it at 76 during the day on weekdays, but with the dehumidifier it runs at 20% and keeps it at 72.

Per the thermostat the unit accounted for 881 kw of electricity, no clue if that's good but our bill is under $200 and we're nice and cool 24/7!

Is this a whole home dehumidifier built into the system?
Coates
I don't know if it's an actual dehumidifier, it just runs really low and apparently that does the trick. It's a carrier 26 seer infinity with greenspeed, here is what their website says:

Carrier takes comfort to a whole new level through enhanced dehumidification. Higher humidity can affect your comfort by reducing your body's natural ability to cool itself. Our new inverter-controlled, variable-speed systems are designed to run longer on their most efficient setting to remove more airborne moisture during cooling operation than most standard and many high-efficiency systems. Removing additional indoor humidity can make your home feel cooler and potentially allow you to increase your thermostat setting, resulting in additional energy savings.
chick79
AG
We have a two year old Trane. When it hit 107 Friday I was able to keep it at 78 inside. It was actually quite comfortable with all the ceiling fans going.
clobby
AG
I was at work but it looked like a decent downpour for a few minutes. Wife said we got some at the house but nothing registered on my weather station.
OKC~Ag
how does anything survive in this brutal heat???

No rain in HV just above flower mound for over a month plus. The lawn is all brown...i think my maple tree is toast despite watering...it just got burnt up from reflective heat from a brick...

No rain in sight for weeks ahead...Is this area turning into a desert?

Pray for a hurricane?
aezmvp
OKC~Ag said:

how does anything survive in this brutal heat???

No rain in HV just above flower mound for over a month plus. The lawn is all brown...i think my maple tree is toast despite watering...it just got burnt up from reflective heat from a brick...

No rain in sight for weeks ahead...Is this area turning into a desert?

Pray for a hurricane?
A hurricane might be nice at this point. Holy Jesus it's hot. But I just got back from Lake Havasu and put in for hazard pay, the temperature didn't drop below 95 at any point at night. It was 114 air temperature and felt like 130. Been a while since it's felt like this in Texas though.
nai06
AG
Conservation appeal issued by ERCOT. Does this mean there is a potential for rolling blackouts tomorrow

planoaggie123
AG
Prob a real threat but I take summer over winter.

I don't understand why homes get blacked out while large corporate offices can blast AC to 75. Would love to see skyscrapers get the first cuts over homes. Wish it was neither but hate to see helpless people lose power while corporate offices crank AC to unreasonably cold levels like mine does.
nai06
AG
planoaggie123 said:

I don't understand why homes get blacked out while large corporate offices can blast AC to 75. Would love to see skyscrapers get the first cuts over homes. Wish it was neither but hate to see helpless people lose power while corporate offices crank AC to unreasonably cold levels like mine does.

During the winter storm, the cowboys stadium was rocking full power while the rest of east Arlington was without power .
clobby
AG
I would guess they have a backup generator like hospitals do.
ftworthag02
AG
if we don't get decent rains this fall/winter we could have severe water restrictions next spring/summer
wangus12
AG
planoaggie123 said:

I walked into my office this morning and it was set on 66. My patients are freezing lol.
planoaggie123
AG
I have no idea what my office keeps it at but I am wearing a jacket right now....

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.