Outdoors
Sponsored by

Cedar Strip Kayak Build Complete

1,966 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by jetescamilla
jetescamilla
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I started a thread over a year ago but got busy with life to keep updates going and the kayak build in general. I ended up a year behind schedule but was able to complete it 2 weeks ago and get out on the water last weekend. I have some more outfitting to do, thigh pads, hip pads, etc, however it's waterproof and ready for minor excursions. Below is the link to the post I made some time ago and photos of the completed yak.

https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/3354094/0

cupofjoe04
AG
Allow me to be the first to say HELLYEAH!!! THIS is how you OB!!!

That thing looks amazing. Great work. And I couldn't imagine a better place for the maiden voyage of such an awesome craft. Well done!!!!
daniel00
AG
That's worth like in for! Amazing work! I hope you get many years of joy out of it!
Guitarsoup
AG
That's fantastic. Great job!
dr_boogs
AG
Unfortunately I have but one blue star to award you. Well done sir!
jetescamilla
AG
Thank you all for the kind words. I learned a lot through this process. The second one will go much faster . Below are some of my photos of the build process picking up where I left off on the original thread.

S.A. Aggie
AG
I love seeing the work of true craftsmen! You sir are definitely at the top of the list with agrams! Very well done indeed!
Fishing Fools
You have more patience than me. It would have taken me a trip to Academy to get one.
bam02
AG
That is awesome and beautiful!
nealan
OP , is this you ?
spud1910
AG
That's incredible! Thanks for the update.
canoeman
Very nice I've always dreamed of doing this. Looks beautiful!
BenderRodriguez
AG
Wow!!!
JeremiahJohnson
AG
That's amazing. Always dreamed of building one of those, but I'm not that talented. Great work!
Deerdude
Amazing work and great insight to add tie downs and rudder.
AgDad121619
AG
How experienced where you as a woodworker prior to build. I would love to build to cedar strip canoe when I retire but I have zero experience with that kind of work
zooguy96
AG
I will never be able to do anything this cool.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
TarponChaser
Beautiful work. I have a ton of respect for dudes who can do this. I don't remotely have the patience or, more importantly, skill. And don't have the patience to try to acquire the skill.
Col. Steve Austin
AG
Beautiful work!
I am not the Six Million Dollar Man, but I might need that surgery. "We have the technology, we can rebuild him!"
80sGeorge
AG
Amazing. You sir are a bada$$.
milner79
Incredible craftsmanship!
jetescamilla
AG
AgDad121619 said:

How experienced where you as a woodworker prior to build. I would love to build to cedar strip canoe when I retire but I have zero experience with that kind of work

I'm fairly handy around the house installing wood floors, trimwork, etc, but not near a level of building fine furniture. Honestly reflecting back, the woodwork was the easy part. The big learning curve for me was fiberglass and epoxy. I bought a few books and watched a lot of YouTube, there's plenty of content available online.

I got caught up watching video after video from a fella named Nick Schade who owns Guillmot Kayaks https://youtube.com/@nickschade?si=DS38cUxb0GSE7Y8c . His content is easy to follow and not overly edited, he shows his mistakes and how he corrects them. I really appreciate that. Before I glassed the deck I had to move it when it was just the glued wood strips and it slipped out of my hand, fell to the floor, and folded backward on itself splitting almost fully through. After a lot of cursing I used some tape, super glue, and wood glue to get it back together and it's totally invisible. I now have the ability to fix just about any damage I do to it, which helps with my confidence on the water.

This took nearly 2 years but I have a full time job, 2 kids, coach their AAU basketball team, lego robotics team and have a few boards I'm on. If I was able to commit to the project fully through I bet it could get done in 3 months
Pull the trigger, it was super rewarding!

jetescamilla
AG
S.A. Aggie said:

I love seeing the work of true craftsmen! You sir are definitely at the top of the list with agrams! Very well done indeed!

This is my sole project that may be at that level, thank you for the comparison!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.