Metroplex
Sponsored by

Amber Guyger Trial

101,787 Views | 1267 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Bocephus
culdeus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ElephantRider said:

That's why I hate social media; it gives a platform to people who don't need to have one.

Most of the people that are upset on twitter are morons. They don't understand that the jury handed down the sentence, and are slamming the judge as a "race traitor" for giving a lenient sentence. People are saying awful things about the brother and the judge.

Maybe they should pay attention to the trial for five minutes and understand who did the sentencing
Know Your Enemy
AG
SoupNazi2001 said:

Junkhead said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

ElephantRider said:

That's why I hate social media; it gives a platform to people who don't need to have one.

Most of the people that are upset on twitter are morons. They don't understand that the jury handed down the sentence, and are slamming the judge as a "race traitor" for giving a lenient sentence. People are saying awful things about the brother and the judge.

Agreed have you ever read a Trump tweet? So much hate in this country when people are on social media.
fixed

I could have said the same thing in the comments to a Sanders or Warren tweet. Lots of hate out there on both sides.
Absolutely. Both sides are pretty despicable these days.
The Collective
AG
Enjoyed Gordo's coverage this morning. While some were freaking out that Guyger didn't deserve the compassion shown to her by the victim's brother or the judge, that's exactly the point of grace.

As I thought about yesterday, Brandt Jean's action is the most Christlike thing I've ever personally witnessed. It kind of reminded me of Jesus' interaction with the prostitute. As others are foaming at the mouth for blood, Brandt Jean saw a hurting person. It is powerful not only because he is willing to forgive her, but his forgiveness also gives her a chance to let the forgiveness transform her. It's like a call to her to put the guilt aside and not let this tragedy destroy her life as well. That's a powerful gift to give by someone who has every right to be bitter and want revenge.
Rudyjax
AG
CJS4715 said:

Enjoyed Gordo's coverage this morning. While some were freaking out that Guyger didn't deserve the compassion shown to her by the victim's brother or the judge, that's exactly the point of grace.

As I thought about yesterday, Brandt Jean's action is the most Christlike thing I've ever personally witnessed. It kind of reminded me of Jesus' interaction with the prostitute. As others are foaming at the mouth for blood, Brandt Jean saw a hurting person. It is powerful not only because he is willing to forgive her, but his forgiveness also gives her a chance to let the forgiveness transform her. It's like a call to her to put the guilt aside and not let this tragedy destroy her life as well. That's a powerful gift to give by someone who has every right to be bitter and want revenge.

You would think testing a "racist" with forgiveness and compassion would go further towards changing her perspective than hatred.
ElephantRider
AG
She didn't deserve it, and that's what makes it so powerful.
MW03
AG
CJS4715 said:

Spot on.
YouBet
AG
CJS4715 said:

Pretty damn humbling. That is one of the strongest men around being able to do that.
Bocephus
AG
People who complain about the sentence do not know anything about Dallas County juries

https://www.prisonlegalnews.org/news/2008/jun/15/dallas-county-texas-criticized-for-offering-probation-to-murder-defendants/
Bocephus
AG
ElephantRider said:

How can anyone sit in a position to judge that?
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Bocephus said:

ElephantRider said:

So, stepping outside of all the ins and outs of this particular case.....

you're suggesting that somebody could have deserved to be forgiven, encouraged and hugged by the brother of a person who was killed (whether you want to call it murder or anything else) by their actions?

I'm not sure I understand the narrative you've been driving the last few days....seems to be that she has 0 culpability here and is entirely the one being victimized, which is not a belief I have seen anyone else espousing.
ElephantRider
AG
Bocephus said:

ElephantRider said:

You're just trying to be a contrarian at this point
Bocephus
AG
JDCAG (NOT Colin) said:

Bocephus said:

ElephantRider said:

So, stepping outside of all the ins and outs of this particular case.....

you're suggesting that somebody could have deserved to be forgiven, encouraged and hugged by the brother of a person who was killed (whether you want to call it murder or anything else) by their actions?

I'm not sure I understand the narrative you've been driving the last few days....seems to be that she has 0 culpability here and is entirely the one being victimized, which is not a belief I have seen anyone else espousing.

If you believe that, then you didn't read my posts. I have been consistent from the beginning that she deserves punishment. I said all along I thought a conviction for manslaughter with whatever sentence the jury decided on would be appropriate.

My issue is that I don't think anyone can sit and judge whether one person deserves forgiveness from another. That is up to the people involved. I would argue that a person who committed her life to service, was good enough at her job to get selected for a selective unit, then made a horrible mistake would deserve some consideration. However, I would completely understand if the family was unable to forgive.
Bocephus
AG
ElephantRider said:

Bocephus said:

ElephantRider said:

You're just trying to be a contrarian at this point

Not at all. I don't see how you can say who does and does not deserve forgiveness from another person. People forgive each other all the time for stuff I do not understand. Mostly women forgiving men that beat them. It happens, and it is their choice. I think that forgiving someone for a wrong sets you free from the anger and hatred involved with that wrong so it frees you also. JMO

Btw, there are a few people I will never forgive. Is what it is
ElephantRider
AG
Saying she deserves it makes it sound like he was obligated to forgive her, or that she was entitled to forgiveness, which I disagree with. I absolutely support the fact that he did, and think it's great for both sides. But I don't think she deserves it.
Rudyjax
AG
Just my opinion here, everyone who is truly sorry for their actions and has tried to make amends deserves forgiveness.

That doesn't mean they shouldn't face consequences for their action.

permabull
AG
BleacherRat
To me, the definition of grace, is being forgiven though you don't deserve to be forgiven.
Gig 'em!
Bocephus
AG
Don't know if y'all heard, Mike Mata was just interviewed on WBAP. Stated that he followed protocol after the shooting. Command staff told him it was an OIS. He texted Guyger's info to her lawyer and texted the lawyer's info to Guyger so she would answer the incoming call. Then he had the camera turned off bc he knew and attorney and client were about to talk and that could not be recorded. That whole constitution thing.

He said that this exact process has gone across Hermus' desk 25-30 times in Officer involved shootings. He only brought it up at trial to push the narrative that the officers were corrupt to the jurors.
ElephantRider
AG
Bocephus said:

Don't know if y'all heard, Mike Mata was just interviewed on WBAP. Stated that he followed protocol after the shooting. Command staff told him it was an OIS. He texted Guyger's info to her lawyer and texted the lawyer's info to Guyger so she would answer the incoming call. Then he had the camera turned off bc he knew and attorney and client were about to talk and that could not be recorded. That whole constitution thing.

He said that this exact process has gone across Hermus' desk 25-30 times in Officer involved shootings. He only brought it up at trial to push the narrative that the officers were corrupt to the jurors.
Does the fact that she was off-duty change the protocol at all?
Bocephus
AG
ElephantRider said:

Saying she deserves it makes it sound like he was obligated to forgive her, or that she was entitled to forgiveness, which I disagree with. I absolutely support the fact that he did, and think it's great for both sides. But I don't think she deserves it.

Okay, I see your point of view. I'm not saying anyone is obligated to give it out or someone was entitled to it. The way I took it was that he should not have been free to give it to her, which is clearly not what you meant.
Bocephus
AG
I Am Mine said:

Just my opinion here, everyone who is truly sorry for their actions and has tried to make amends deserves forgiveness.

That doesn't mean they shouldn't face consequences for their action.

Which is where I'm at with Guyger.
Bocephus
AG
ElephantRider said:

Bocephus said:

Does the fact that she was off-duty change the protocol at all?

It would as far as him talking to her, only the Chiefs told him they were treating it as an OIS so he was perfectly fine in all his actions.

If she was off duty, we knew it was off duty, we are treating it as a civilian on civilian shooting, we STILL HAVE TO TURN OFF the camera when she talks to her lawyer on the phone.
Bocephus
AG
To take it one step further, she's a civilian and she talks to her lawyer and he tells her not to give any kind of statement to the detectives. She doesn't. Ballistics have to be analyzed before we know what the hell happened. She goes home that night and is not arrested until everyone else gets interviewed and the shooting is reconstructed. Would likely take a few dats before the warrant is issued so she is still free for 3+ days even if she is not an officer.
Kellso
Bocephus said:

She will not be convicted of murder. The DA should not have listened to the mob and upped the charge. Manslaughter was reasonable. This incident is the perfect example of mistake of fact.

There are 12 women on the jury. You don't think one of them will be able to identify with coming home and seeing someone in your apartment and getting scared?

Residents of that complex went to the wrong apartment all the time. It was a very common occurrence. My understanding is that he was not watching football on his laptop.

She made a tragic mistake and imo a manslaughter conviction was a given and he would have received a fair punishment. The murder charge was an overreach. If the prosecution asks for lesser included charges it may signal to the jury that they don't have enough for murder. Not a good thing and not likely.

Already have multiple reasons for appeal with the release of the 911 audio to the public and the refusal to change the venue.

She is not going to be found guilty of murder. Dallas county jurors do not convict legit bad guys with felony convictions for murder. The DA gave the mob the charge they wanted and in the end, ensured that Guyger will walk.
Someone's predictions about this case were way off........
Bocephus
AG
Kellso said:

Bocephus said:

She will not be convicted of murder. The DA should not have listened to the mob and upped the charge. Manslaughter was reasonable. This incident is the perfect example of mistake of fact.

There are 12 women on the jury. You don't think one of them will be able to identify with coming home and seeing someone in your apartment and getting scared?

Residents of that complex went to the wrong apartment all the time. It was a very common occurrence. My understanding is that he was not watching football on his laptop.

She made a tragic mistake and imo a manslaughter conviction was a given and he would have received a fair punishment. The murder charge was an overreach. If the prosecution asks for lesser included charges it may signal to the jury that they don't have enough for murder. Not a good thing and not likely.

Already have multiple reasons for appeal with the release of the 911 audio to the public and the refusal to change the venue.

She is not going to be found guilty of murder. Dallas county jurors do not convict legit bad guys with felony convictions for murder. The DA gave the mob the charge they wanted and in the end, ensured that Guyger will walk.
Someone's predictions about this case were way off........

Yep. Didn't think the DA would attack Amber's character since they refuse to do it in every other case. They did not disprove mistake of fact but it did not matter.

Talked to one of Guyger's attorneys today. To quote him, "the case was lost when they refused to change the venue."
Guitarsoup
AG
Did they expect to not get in the expert witness testimony?
BoDog
AG
No, the case was lost when they picked the jury.... Just sayin...
PatAg
AG
He has some relationship to guyger, either personally or professionally.
PatAg
AG
BoDog said:

No, the case was lost when they picked the jury.... Just sayin...
It was more accurately lost when she entered someone else's apartment and murdered them.
dave94
AG
I've tried to not get pulled into this whole discussion because I have only minor knowledge of law having known lawyers who have worked for the DA and also some as independent defense attorneys.

But I have to ask what your connection to this case is. Do you know the defendant? Or just have experience in this realm?

You seem to have connections to either law enforcement or the county DA in some way.

So where is your perspective coming from? Because you haven't ever said, "the jury decided, and that's how it's supposed to work."
Ol Jock 99
AG
He's DPD
ElephantRider
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

He's DPD

Would make a lot of sense
ElephantRider
AG
Freedom from Religion Foundation has filed a complaint against the judge for giving her a bible
Kellso
dave94 said:

I've tried to not get pulled into this whole discussion because I have only minor knowledge of law having known lawyers who have worked for the DA and also some as independent defense attorneys.

But I have to ask what your connection to this case is. Do you know the defendant? Or just have experience in this realm?

You seem to have connections to either law enforcement or the county DA in some way.

So where is your perspective coming from? Because you haven't ever said, "the jury decided, and that's how it's supposed to work."

Quote:

"
Yep. Didn't think the DA would attack Amber's character since they refuse to do it in every other case. They did not disprove mistake of fact but it did not matter.

Talked to one of Guyger's attorneys today. To quote him, "the case was lost when they refused to change the venue "

I'm in the same boat.
Its now the juries fault that Gugyer was convicted of murder?
Its not the fault of the convicted murderer that walked into the wrong apartment and shot a man dead?

What does it say about our justice system when you have an obvious Gugyger defender seemingly wishing that the case should have been moved to a different county to have a whiter jury pool?

I called Bocephus out because (forget all the legal mumbo, jumbo) COMMON SENSE would tell you that intruding into other persons home and killing them is a crime that deserves punishment.

This case was clearly NOT manslaughter because she admitted on the stand she intended to kill him.
Decay
AG
Also remember that a discussion about the jury like that is coming from a lawyer's viewpoint. At the end of the day, it's their job to win. It's probably accurate that the jury selection makes a big impact on the conviction in this case.

I also think this is just a tough case to wrap up neatly. Legally, I don't think murder was the correct conviction. Logically and emotionally, I do think it should be considered an act of murder by an agent of the state. There's a lot of viewpoints, and the charges, conviction, and sentencing are all byproducts of that.

I do think it's generating a lot of quality discussion for a topic that usually tends to see blind arguing, which is a silver lining to a really sad case.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.