Metroplex
Sponsored by

Amber Guyger Trial

101,779 Views | 1267 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Bocephus
culdeus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Guitarsoup said:

That was probably a contributing factor, but the main problem testified in court was that the strike plate was over torqued and bowed out, preventing the handle from catching in the closed position without additional effort.

There are a ton of things we probably never know saved our ass. But damn it sucks that a guy probably had his DeWalt set to drill instead of catch stop 5 installing that plate and here we are.
ItsA&InotA&M
Per the DMN.
Dallas County District Attorney Creuzot faces a contempt of court hearing over an interview he gave on the eve of the Guyger trial. It's scheduled for Oct 31.
There was a gag order in place that included him. In his interview he explained why he believed Guyger was correctly charged with murder.
DannyDuberstein
AG
He should. If that wasn't an egregious violation of a gag order worthy of enforcing, then gag orders shouldn't exist
TexasAggies06
AG
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime/2019/10/05/man-fatally-shot-apartment-complex-near-dallas-medical-district-suspect-loose/
jefe95
AG
Man if that doesn't seem sinister
DannyDuberstein
AG
It means the city is going to **** under ****bird chief eyelashes and DA bumble****.
ItsA&InotA&M
From the article::
Dallas County prosecutor Jason Hermus, the lead prosecutor in the Guyger case, said Saturday that Brown stood up at a time when others won't say what they know.

"He bravely came forward to testify when others wouldn't, " Hermus said. "If we had more people like him, we would have a better world."
-:-:

This is the first I've heard about others refusing to talk to prosecutors.
P.C. Principal
TexasAggies06 said:

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime/2019/10/05/man-fatally-shot-apartment-complex-near-dallas-medical-district-suspect-loose/

Holy ****

Dallas is a damn warzone. I live not far from there and there have been a number of murders within a 5 mile radius this year alone
PatAg
AG
Bunbury said:

Quote:

I told him that I am not sure how they do it in Brazil but in this country/state when you are threatened in your home you never pull a gun on somebody to threaten, intimidate or freakin shoot them in the leg.

Having taken CHL and gun-safety classes, and by virtue of living in Texas, hearing lots gun-owners share off their thoughts and feelings about gun-ownership, I'm of the opinion that a large % of gun owners in the USA are not responsible gun owners, and the statement above definitely fits into that irresponsible category. Responsible gun ownership involves being vigilant and constantly assessing the situations to make the best decision. Just because guns offer an ultimatum-type consequence of killing someone, that does not permit gun owners to think in ultimatum-type thoughts, but that doesn't stop irresponsible gun owners from doing so.
It's a lot of people who love to talk big
YouBet
AG
JDCAG (NOT Colin) said:

BoDog said:

Huh? If coming home to find some dude in your house isn't an ultimatum-type situation I don't know what is? Nevermind if you have a family member/s with you. Its amazing to me how some of you get on here and spew this limp wristed rhetoric. In that situation its likely you or him. You go ahead and talk it out and I'll handle it my way.

I get it if you feel threatened, or feel your life is in danger, they're coming at you or all the other reasons people can and do protect themselves....

but it is bat *** crazy to say that somebody deserves to die just because they broke into your house and you showed up before they left.

The problem is the fact that you decided, entirely by the virtue of somebody being in your home, that it is "you or him".

That doesn't make it okay for them to be there, but it is freaking concerning that we have a large number of gun owners who honestly feel that this is the appropriate way to handle a situation like this.
Then don't break into someone's home?

I'm not going to say I would just blaze away because I've never been in this situation, but I'm damn sure not going to begrudge anyone that does. Don't be a criminal and you won't get shot.
JAggie2007
AG
YouBet said:

JDCAG (NOT Colin) said:

BoDog said:

Huh? If coming home to find some dude in your house isn't an ultimatum-type situation I don't know what is? Nevermind if you have a family member/s with you. Its amazing to me how some of you get on here and spew this limp wristed rhetoric. In that situation its likely you or him. You go ahead and talk it out and I'll handle it my way.

I get it if you feel threatened, or feel your life is in danger, they're coming at you or all the other reasons people can and do protect themselves....

but it is bat *** crazy to say that somebody deserves to die just because they broke into your house and you showed up before they left.

The problem is the fact that you decided, entirely by the virtue of somebody being in your home, that it is "you or him".

That doesn't make it okay for them to be there, but it is freaking concerning that we have a large number of gun owners who honestly feel that this is the appropriate way to handle a situation like this.
Then don't break into someone's home?

I'm not going to say I would just blaze away because I've never been in this situation, but I'm damn sure not going to begrudge anyone that does. Don't be a criminal and you won't get shot.
Ummmmm, do you know what thread you posted this in?
YouBet
AG
Yes.
PatAg
AG
YouBet said:

Yes.
then you live in a fantasy world
CSTXAg92
AG
jefe95 said:

Unbelievable. And apparently he was shot in the mouth. Coincidence?
mavsfan4ever
AG
I'm confused. If the killing was due to his testimony, who is supposedly killing him? He testified favorably for the prosecution, correct? So who wants him dead? People who think guyger was wrongly convicted?
Rudyjax
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

I'm confused. If the killing was due to his testimony, who is supposedly killing him? He testified favorably for the prosecution, correct? So who wants him dead? People who think guyger was wrongly convicted?

Think about it.
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

Nm
YouBet
AG
PatAg said:

YouBet said:

Yes.

Texas is a fantasy world now? Because that's where I live. If someone is breaking into my home and I'm there when it happens you think I'm not justified in shooting them?

Hell, I even said I have no idea how I would react in real life because it's never happened but I'm sure as hell justified and the law says I am.

Edit: I see the problem. You thought I was coming at this from POV of being the intruder?
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
YouBet said:

PatAg said:

YouBet said:

Yes.

Texas is a fantasy world now? Because that's where I live. If someone is breaking into my home and I'm there when it happens you think I'm not justified in shooting them?

Hell, I even said I have no idea how I would react in real life because it's never happened but I'm sure as hell justified and the law says I am.

Edit: I see the problem. You thought I was coming at this from POV of being the intruder?

"Don't be a criminal and you won't get shot". That is what is comment was about. This whole thread exists because your statement was obviously false.
Bocephus
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

His testimony actually helped Guyger. After the shooting, there was all kinds of false information put out there about Guyger and Jean being in a relationship, Guyger banging on the door and yelling for Jean to let her in, Guyger filing a noise complaint about Jean etc. The less educated among us ate up these rumors and repeated them (just like with Michael Brown). This guy's testimony made it clear that those rumors were false and this was an accident.
Bocephus
AG
P.C. Principal said:

TexasAggies06 said:

Holy ****

Dallas is a damn warzone. I live not far from there and there have been a number of murders within a 5 mile radius this year alone

Welcome to the mf'n show! Also police involved shootings in Mesquite, Carrolton and one other surrounding area last night.
YouBet
AG
Bob Loblaws Law Blog said:

YouBet said:

PatAg said:

YouBet said:

Yes.

"Don't be a criminal and you won't get shot". That is what is comment was about. This whole thread exists because your statement was obviously false.
I think we are having a semantics issue. My comment was in context of the scenario I posted.

It wasn't a statement saying that accidents don't happen and innocents don't get shot.
Rudyjax
AG
YouBet said:

YouBet said:

PatAg said:

YouBet said:

Yes.

I think we are having a semantics issue. My comment was in context of the scenario I posted.

It wasn't a statement saying that accidents don't happen and innocents don't get shot.

So you're saying that if you walked in on someone burglarizing your house, and the bugler put his hands up and said, don't shoot. You'd shoot because it's your right?

No, I don't think so.
What that poster was saying is that there a different circumstances that guns blazing aren't always necessary.
YouBet
AG
I Am Mine said:

YouBet said:

YouBet said:

PatAg said:

YouBet said:

Yes.

So you're saying that if you walked in on someone burglarizing your house, and the bugler put his hands up and said, don't shoot. You'd shoot because it's your right?

No, I don't think so.
What that poster was saying is that there a different circumstances that guns blazing aren't always necessary.

I doubt that I personally would, but who the hell knows. It's an extreme, high stress situation. All I'm saying is I wouldn't begrudge anyone if they did.

This is a play stupid games; win stupid prizes scenario.
JAggie2007
AG
YouBet said:

YouBet said:

PatAg said:

YouBet said:

Yes.

What Bob Loblaw said. I wasn't trying to argue about your scenario, just pointing out your quote which is the reason we even have this thread in the first place.
YouBet
AG
JAggie2007 said:

YouBet said:

YouBet said:

PatAg said:

YouBet said:

Yes.

What Bob Loblaw said. I wasn't trying to argue about your scenario, just pointing out your quote which is the reason we even have this thread in the first place.
Then this all is a misunderstanding and we can move on.
Guitarsoup
AG
YouBet said:

JAggie2007 said:

YouBet said:

YouBet said:

PatAg said:

YouBet said:

Yes.

Ummmmm, do you know what website you posted this in?

YouBet
AG
Guitarsoup said:

YouBet said:

JAggie2007 said:

YouBet said:

YouBet said:

PatAg said:

YouBet said:

Yes.

Ummmmm, do you know what website you posted this in?

Yes. (Legit response though)
Bocephus
AG
For anyone who thinks Guyger got off easy with a 10-year sentence:

Just arrested a guy who was convicted of murder in Dallas County and sentenced to probation. Recently he tried to set his exes house on fire.
TSUAggie
Bocephus said:

Just arrested a guy who was convicted of murder in Dallas County and sentenced to probation. Recently he tried to set his exes house on fire.

Anything less than life or death sentence for a murder conviction is getting off easy, IMO.
wangus12
AG
CSTXAg92 said:

jefe95 said:

He wasn't shot in the mouth. Back & leg
Bocephus
AG
wangus12 said:

CSTXAg92 said:

jefe95 said:

He wasn't shot in the mouth. Back & leg

He was shot where Forrest Gump was shot. What's the symbolism there? My understanding is that he made poor life choices which tend to bring about these kind of results. The conspiracy has brought the democratic candidates for president into the mix, so that is amusing.
permabull
AG
Bocephus
AG
hypeiv said:

Bocephus said:

I am pretty sure almost everyone who thought Guyger got off easy would say this guy got off easy too.

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make... If one person gets away with murder we should let everyone get away with it?

The point is that Dallas County is notoriously bad at sentencing for murder and all things considered, Guyger got a tough sentence for what amounted to a tragic mistake. When lifelong criminals kill and get probation, don't whine when a good person gets 10 years.
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
Bocephus said:

hypeiv said:

Bocephus said:

I am pretty sure almost everyone who thought Guyger got off easy would say this guy got off easy too.

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make... If one person gets away with murder we should let everyone get away with it?

The point is that Dallas County is notoriously bad at sentencing for murder and all things considered, Guyger got a tough sentence for what amounted to a tragic mistake. When lifelong criminals kill and get probation, don't whine when a good person gets 10 years.
"Do not bring up what you believe is an unfair sentence because it is against someone I like and also other unfair sentences exist."

Doesn't hold water.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.