Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2026

189,535 Views | 1067 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by txags92
12f Mane
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This is a central Texas whipsnake. Confusing ID though because it's an extra dark one.



watty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks for the snake ID earlier. Just up the road from the one I posted (the whip near Enchanted Rock), we saw this. We first thought it was a snake, then zoomed in on the pic and googled and learned it was the spiny crevice lizard or whatever it's called. Wish we could have seen his whole body. Really cool tail.


Badace52
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
12f Mane said:

This is a central Texas whipsnake. Confusing ID though because it's an extra dark one.






And 12f with the thread save. I never would have thought of that one... I don't think I've ever seen a central Texas whipsnake that was essentially completely black.
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
KerrAg76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
"My" coachwhips in Kerrville area are very light
12f Mane
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That may be the darkest one I've seen a photo of. Also looks to have lost the end of its tail, adds to the tough ID.
CS78
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Stumbled across this one checking deer feeders by Lake Somerville this morning. He almost got the copperhead treatment before I took a closer look.


ttha_aggie_09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
"I heard this was a hog feeder"
maroon barchetta
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I would leave a copperhead out away from everything unless he was close to biting me.
CS78
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I used to do that but there's just so many of them around that it wont hurt to thin them some. Probably our #1 snake, even above all the non-venomous. I give the timber rattlers and corals a wide berth and free pass.
G-Houston
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Goodness, what a well fed guy.
zooguy96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
G-Houston said:

Goodness, what a well fed guy.


Just poofing out his body. They'll not only spread out their head - they'll do their entire body to look bigger.
G-Houston
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Interesting, did not know that. Thanks!

I continue to enjoy and learn a lot from this thread!
zooguy96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
G-Houston said:

Interesting, did not know that. Thanks!

I continue to enjoy and learn a lot from this thread!


My eastern hognose used to do it all the time.
TX_COWDOC
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This thread and the many contributions has me rethinking my attitude towards venomous snakes. My current feeling is around my house - they dead. In the brush at my country place- live and let live.
www.southpawprecision.com
Type 07 FFL / Class 2 SOT
Nightforce Optics Dealer
AGM Night Vision Dealer
mooney69
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
zooguy96 said:

G-Houston said:

Interesting, did not know that. Thanks!

I continue to enjoy and learn a lot from this thread!


My eastern hognose used to do it all the time.


So did my ex-wife.
Mooney69
12f Mane
How long do you want to ignore this user?
MyNameIsJeff
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's been 368 days since I've seen a snake on my property. Strange, as the previous year I found 5 copperheads, a hoggy, and several glossy snakes.
txags92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
MyNameIsJeff said:

It's been 368 days since I've seen a snake on my property. Strange, as the previous year I found 5 copperheads, a hoggy, and several glossy snakes.

Do you live down the street from MouthBQ? Maybe he stopped relocating all his to your property after his big adventure earlier this year.
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.