Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2026

189,532 Views | 1067 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by txags92
zooguy96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

Finally found our speckled king after 6 days. Was under a backpack in our mudroom, downstairs and about the furthest spot from his enclosure.


I found where one of my snakes was by putting flour all over the linoleum, and seeing where the tracks led when one of mine got out when I was in my 20's. Probably a stupid way to do it, but it worked; I found him in a laundry basket.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
zooguy96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm going to get a pair of Mexican Hognoses (Heterodon kennerlyi) from a guy who breeds them in Victoria. He's got some eggs that are about to hatch.

Here's a representative photo:



Always loved these. Had a couple over the years, but not in a long time.

I'm really enjoying getting back into keeping snakes and cooking. I usually don't have time to do a lot of things I enjoy, because of a variety of reasons.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
MouthBQ98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
They is a pretty snake.
zooguy96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

They is a pretty snake.

Yeah, some of them can get some pink or light red in coloration, depending on the location their parents were collected from. I'll be getting some from the Van Horn locale, which is an area where there are a ton of unique snakes.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
mandevilleag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ring-necked snake found during a hike at Oak Mountain State Park near Birmingham, AL

BadAzzBohemian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sealy Prairie

12f Mane
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Always a good find in that part of the state
Mas89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Bad boy.
MyNameIsJeff
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yep, that's a cottonmouth.
BadAzzBohemian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Barker Reservoir

3rd this week - first one tagged the JRT... she killed it but got bit on the face again.
CowtownAg06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So my son wants to go to a herp expo. There is one in Conroe this weekend, is it any good? We also are pretty busy this weekend, are there any others near Houston coming up?
zooguy96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CowtownAg06 said:

So my son wants to go to a herp expo. There is one in Conroe this weekend, is it any good? We also are pretty busy this weekend, are there any others near Houston coming up?


It says the largest venomous show in Texas, so it should have a lot of stuff.

What is he looking for? I may know of someone in Texas who could get him what he wanted for much cheaper. The reptile expos are generally pretty good for picking up inexpensive stuff; never get something from PetSmart, etc. Local pet shops are generally OK.

The Repticon shows are usually a little smaller, and at least in my experience have 80 to 90% ball pythons, which is super boring to me.

The national expo I went to in Daytona Beach a couple of weeks ago probably had 1000 vendors, and basically any type of reptile or amphibian you are looking for.

General, just Google "Houston Herp expos", and look for the vendor list. The bigger the vendor list, the more things they'll have. The herp trade is much different than it was when I was heavily involved in it at about 25 years ago. I'm just now getting back into it, and I'm focusing on old-school things that most people don't have (I.e. Very few people breed Mexican hog noses).

If you want more information, just PM me and we can discuss it off-line via text message, etc. I worked at five different zoos and aquariums, and was heavily involved in the herp trade for 5 to 10 years, although I primarily specialized with hog noses.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
txags92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is it just me or does "being heavily involved in the herp trade" sound like a description of a sorority in Lubbock?
CowtownAg06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks for the info and the PM. We aren't looking for anything at this point, but my son thinks it would be cool to just go and see. In his mind, this is like retile house at the zoo blown out. Maybe they aren't like that.
zooguy96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CowtownAg06 said:

Thanks for the info and the PM. We aren't looking for anything at this point, but my son thinks it would be cool to just go and see. In his mind, this is like retile house at the zoo blown out. Maybe they aren't like that.


They are like that. If he enjoys reptiles, he'd enjoy a good herp show.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
zooguy96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
txags92 said:

Is it just me or does "being heavily involved in the herp trade" sound like a description of a sorority in Lubbock?


LOL. Herpes =/= Herpetology.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
txags92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
zooguy96 said:

txags92 said:

Is it just me or does "being heavily involved in the herp trade" sound like a description of a sorority in Lubbock?


LOL. Herpes =/= Herpetology.

You should have heard the jokes 11 year old me made when I heard my older sister was taking a Herpetology class in college.
Daddy-O5
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
txags92 said:

zooguy96 said:

txags92 said:

Is it just me or does "being heavily involved in the herp trade" sound like a description of a sorority in Lubbock?


LOL. Herpes =/= Herpetology.

You should have heard the jokes 11 year old me made when I heard my older sister was taking a Herpetology class in college.

The jokes 43 year me was thinking as I read this probably aren't much better.
Ag83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Good guy doing good work this evening. Everyone pull for his success.

ttha_aggie_09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Rats or swallows?
Ag83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Rats
P.U.T.U
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Got a random rainstorm an hour after this pic, everything was probably a lot more active after the rain. Also saw this juvy 5 lined skin, love their blue tails

P.U.T.U
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Too dang hot today, went at the heat of the day not expecting to see anything. Another water snake

eAGer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What is this beautiful thing?
MyNameIsJeff
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ring necked snake.
maroon barchetta
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm binging The Rookie on Hulu. I watch an episode when I eat.

Auto repair customer arguing with shop owner pulls out a snake and threatens shop owner. Snake bites customer in the face.

It's a snake with red and black and yellow stripes. But it wasn't a coral! However, everyone got up high to be away from the hissing snake.
zooguy96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
maroon barchetta said:

I'm binging The Rookie on Hulu. I watch an episode when I eat.

Auto repair customer arguing with shop owner pulls out a snake and threatens shop owner. Snake bites customer in the face.

It's a snake with red and black and yellow stripes. But it wasn't a coral! However, everyone got up high to be away from the hissing snake.


Snake with red and black and yellow stripes.

Not dangerous, but classified as mildly venomous, even though it's the saliva and not any venom that comes from venom glands. .

However, they are reclusive, like all hognose snakes, and instead of playing dead or spread spreading their neck out, they wave their tail like a rattle snake. It's pretty funny.

I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
Danny Vermin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
That's a good show. Great cast with lots of chemistry.
Republicans may not fix all your problems but you can be damn sure Democrats cause ALL of them.
maroon barchetta
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It really is.
BadAzzBohemian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ring neck snake - playing dead
cuz-i-can
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I agree...
DoitBest
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
No snakes so far this evening, but saw this little fella...

ttha_aggie_09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Gators are cool but I have no desire to see them when hunting with my lab. Unfortunately I'll probably see quite a few this weekend.
P.U.T.U
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Healthy DBWS, almost 10 people went by it without noticing it. Wife saw a similar sized one but it moved before I got close to it.
ttha_aggie_09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I just caught a healthy girl while teal hunting. Waiting on pics to be sent my way and will post.
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.