Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2026

184,156 Views | 1039 Replies | Last: 18 hrs ago by CowtownAg06
TAMUallen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Found where my coachwhip or red racer is living... hes actually in/under a rock tank



Good news for me though since that's less than 100yds from the house and will be keeping everything I dont want near the house away. The enormity of the rock tank it lives underneath is sort of mind blowing though and will try to upload a pic of it tomorrow
12f Mane
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Here's a rock rattlesnake from the Davis Mountains recently

MouthBQ98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Copperhead bite update:

Just barely a little remaining swelling around the ankle and top of foot. 4 permanent faint red fang scars. The tissue in the top of my foot was a bit tight and inflexible but I've been stretching it and working out on it, and it is nearly back to normal. There's some very mild lingering soreness but within another week or two I expect a full recovery.
Daddy-O5
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sooooo…. When do you get back to photos with buckets o copperheads?

Glad you're recovering well.
MouthBQ98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's been dry lately and the snakes either go into a sort of summer hibernation or move to water. If I put out my traps or look for them I will find them.
txags92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

Copperhead bite update:

Just barely a little remaining swelling around the ankle and top of foot. 4 permanent faint red fang scars. The tissue in the top of my foot was a bit tight and inflexible but I've been stretching it and working out on it, and it is nearly back to normal. There's some very mild lingering soreness but within another week or two I expect a full recovery.

So have you figured out what super power you got from it yet?
NoahAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
txags92 said:

MouthBQ98 said:

Copperhead bite update:

Just barely a little remaining swelling around the ankle and top of foot. 4 permanent faint red fang scars. The tissue in the top of my foot was a bit tight and inflexible but I've been stretching it and working out on it, and it is nearly back to normal. There's some very mild lingering soreness but within another week or two I expect a full recovery.

So have you figured out what super power you got from it yet?

Copperhead super power: A permanently pissed off look
MouthBQ98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't know about other powers yet but one is to be unfazed by exceptional medical bills.
Burn-It
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Curious, did medical insurance cover this?
AKA 13-0
maroon barchetta
How long do you want to ignore this user?
NoahAg said:

txags92 said:

MouthBQ98 said:

Copperhead bite update:

Just barely a little remaining swelling around the ankle and top of foot. 4 permanent faint red fang scars. The tissue in the top of my foot was a bit tight and inflexible but I've been stretching it and working out on it, and it is nearly back to normal. There's some very mild lingering soreness but within another week or two I expect a full recovery.

So have you figured out what super power you got from it yet?

Copperhead super power: A permanently pissed off look


What if it gave you a forearm sleeve in a copperhead pattern to identify you as a bite survivor?
MouthBQ98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Largely, yes. Still will be out about $2000 when it is all done.

One of the buggers was literally on my front porch waiting to catch cicadas last night. Saw another in the flowerbed.
zooguy96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Had a friend who got tagged by a baby rattlesnake (he was trying to remove reptile mites from it - but that's another story).

Took around 15 vials of antivenin - had no insurance. Was about 20 years ago. I think the final bill was more than his yearly salary.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
oh no
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
zooguy96 said:

(he was trying to remove reptile mites from it - but that's another story).
here for another story.
zooguy96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
oh no said:

zooguy96 said:

(he was trying to remove reptile mites from it - but that's another story).

here for another story.

He felt sorry for the snake - he was relatively experienced in handling venomous snakes, but made a mistake in holding it, and one of it's fangs got loose. He as young and in his 20's... Who of us didn't do stupid things in their 20's (other than me - I never did anything majorly stupid in my 20's - I was super boring in my 20's, still relatively boring today).
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
oh no
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
zooguy96 said:

oh no said:

zooguy96 said:

(he was trying to remove reptile mites from it - but that's another story).

here for another story.

He felt sorry for the snake - he was relatively experienced in handling venomous snakes, but made a mistake in holding it, and one of it's fangs got loose. He as young and in his 20's... Who of us didn't do stupid things in their 20's (other than me - I never did anything majorly stupid in my 20's - I was super boring in my 20's, still relatively boring today).
what the ____ are reptile mites and why would anyone want to "remove" them from a rattlesnake? How would one remove them?
zooguy96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
oh no said:

zooguy96 said:

oh no said:

zooguy96 said:

(he was trying to remove reptile mites from it - but that's another story).

here for another story.

He felt sorry for the snake - he was relatively experienced in handling venomous snakes, but made a mistake in holding it, and one of it's fangs got loose. He as young and in his 20's... Who of us didn't do stupid things in their 20's (other than me - I never did anything majorly stupid in my 20's - I was super boring in my 20's, still relatively boring today).

what the ____ are reptile mites and why would anyone want to "remove" them from a rattlesnake? How would one remove them?


Mites that are parasites on reptiles. He was picking them off with his fingers.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
agcrock2005
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

Largely, yes. Still will be out about $2000 when it is all done.

One of the buggers was literally on my front porch waiting to catch cicadas last night. Saw another in the flowerbed.

Moving my wife and two boys (9 and 10) out into the sticks (between Granbury and Lipan) next year and I've heard there are a lot of copperheads. How do you trap them and where/when do you see them the most?
MouthBQ98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I leave out minnow traps along the foundation of my house or by the base of large trees or anything they go to and then along. They crawl in and can't get back out.

I see them almost exclusively between dusk and about 2am once night temps are in the 60's, basically maybe mid april to late October. Occasionally in the later afternoon.

They are not aggressive at all. They freeze or flee unless massed with. The danger is simply not seeing it and stepping on it or reaching for something and nudging it. They will put on a show if provoked.
agcrock2005
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Do you bait the trap with an egg or anything?
MouthBQ98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
No. They just wander in while searching for prey.
oh no
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

The danger is simply not seeing it and stepping on it or reaching for something and nudging it.

or walking around barefoot, amirite?
mooney69
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
oh no said:

zooguy96 said:

oh no said:

zooguy96 said:

(he was trying to remove reptile mites from it - but that's another story).

here for another story.

He felt sorry for the snake - he was relatively experienced in handling venomous snakes, but made a mistake in holding it, and one of it's fangs got loose. He as young and in his 20's... Who of us didn't do stupid things in their 20's (other than me - I never did anything majorly stupid in my 20's - I was super boring in my 20's, still relatively boring today).
what the ____ are reptile mites and why would anyone want to "remove" them from a rattlesnake? How would one remove them?

Pear burner???
Mooney69
MouthBQ98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Half the year it is totally fine.
MyNameIsJeff
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My two year old can now ID the hognose and the "snake that bit daddy" (rat snake) in the snake ID booklet at the HEB checkout.
ttha_aggie_09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That's hilarious
BartInLA
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I encountered my first Hognose at age 12. It played dead. My father used a big stick to move it 100' away from the house. It didn't slither away for about 3 minutes.
At 16 my parents bought 9 wooded acres near Linden. My father stepped inches away from a Hognose. I had my single shot 20 gauge and with my 16 y/o brain I dispatched the reptile. Mom began to question why they bought the land as she was terrified of all snakes. I spent 80% of my day time from age 10 to 16 in the fields and bayous. Today I guessed there was over 100 times in life that I was 2' from a venomous snake without knowing it. I guess that is good and I was very careful where I stepped. I guess ignorance is bliss.
MouthBQ98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That reminds me I have an interesting list. Snakes that I have been bitten by: (drew blood)

Texas Rat snake
Great Plains rat snake
Yellow Belly racer
Coachwhip
Plain belly water snake
Diamondback water snake
Ribbon snake
Garter snake
Rough green snake
Copperhead

Those are all I can remember for sure. Might have gotten a hognose in there as well but can't recall for sure. And I don't even keep them as pets.
zooguy96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

That reminds me I have an interesting list. Snakes that I have been bitten by: (drew blood)

Texas Rat snake
Great Plains rat snake
Yellow Belly racer
Coachwhip
Plain belly water snake
Diamondback water snake
Ribbon snake
Garter snake
Rough green snake
Copperhead

Those are all I can remember for sure. Might have gotten a hognose in there as well but can't recall for sure. And I don't even keep them as pets.


Yeah, I've been bitten by all those, including an eastern hognose, but excluding a copperhead. Made my thumb swell up a little bit. And, been bitten by many others; but, I used to have around 50 snakes as pets.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
12f Mane
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
MyNameIsJeff said:

My two year old can now ID the hognose and the "snake that bit daddy" (rat snake) in the snake ID booklet at the HEB checkout.
Counterpoint
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

That reminds me I have an interesting list. Snakes that I have been bitten by: (drew blood)

Texas Rat snake
Great Plains rat snake
Yellow Belly racer
Coachwhip
Plain belly water snake
Diamondback water snake
Ribbon snake
Garter snake
Rough green snake
Copperhead

Those are all I can remember for sure. Might have gotten a hognose in there as well but can't recall for sure. And I don't even keep them as pets.

I feel like copperhead needs to be at the top of your list!
ttha_aggie_09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Perhaps that list is chronological
TheGifGuy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

That reminds me I have an interesting list. Snakes that I have been bitten by: (drew blood)

Texas Rat snake
Great Plains rat snake
Yellow Belly racer
Coachwhip
Plain belly water snake
Diamondback water snake
Ribbon snake
Garter snake
Rough green snake
Copperhead

Those are all I can remember for sure. Might have gotten a hognose in there as well but can't recall for sure. And I don't even keep them as pets.


This was today's comic from my calendar, thought it was pertinent for you and others


Mr. Frodo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A slight edit for this situation
TheGifGuy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Too good!
MouthBQ98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Touch grass, they said…it's good for you.
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.