Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2024

179,976 Views | 1143 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by MyNameIsJeff
Sea Speed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
DoitBest said:

Sea Speed said:

I will take the rat trap off when I relocate him. Don't have a way to contain it without it right now.
I am surprised it's still alive, those traps are no joke...

Alive and well. I was surprised as well to be honest. There was a smooshed rat in the other trap. Quite the scene.
cuz-i-can
AG
Had a buddy show up next to my front door...it did its best rattlesnake impression...was definitely not expecting company...
Poot
Is that a King?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Rat Snake
cuz-i-can
AG
It's a Rat snake...after I did my best to unkink it, the measuring tape read 6.5 ft...
Poot
Thanks. I just expected it to be as high as my hat!
cuz-i-can
AG
I have a raised porch...it climbed at least 4 ft to get to where it was...
TarponChaser
Not my post or video but I've never seen a cottonmouth underwater like this. I've seen a lot but they've always been on land or floating/swimming on top of the water. I've never even seen a video of one underwater like this either. Though, I've never seen one around water this clear either so there might have been a bunch go unseen.

Cottonmouth on IG reel
BabaAg
AG
Need some help with snake relocation in Central Texas ( Woodway specifically) Got a frantic text from neighbor lady last night about a huge snake in her backyard. I grabbed some gloves and a flashlight fully expecting to find a big rat snake. What I found was a 4 foot rattle snake headed back under her deck. Any help with a name in my area would be appreciated.
12f Mane
AG
Try Hill Country Snake Removal or jump on one of the horrible Snake ID Facebook groups and ask if someone can do it for free.
BabaAg
AG
Thank you
FrioAg 00
AG
TarponChaser said:

Not my post or video but I've never seen a cottonmouth underwater like this. I've seen a lot but they've always been on land or floating/swimming on top of the water. I've never even seen a video of one underwater like this either. Though, I've never seen one around water this clear either so there might have been a bunch go unseen.

Cottonmouth on IG reel

I'd like a fact check from the experts: I'm pretty sure all snakes are capable of swimming underwater, even if not their normal mode, but can venomous snakes inject their venom under water?
12f Mane
AG
Yes on the second question. Not entirely sure on the first.

And it makes sense that cottonmouths can swim, bite, inject, etc., under water as they are an aquatic species intimately tied to water.
TarponChaser
FrioAg 00 said:

TarponChaser said:

Cottonmouth on IG reel

I'd like a fact check from the experts: I'm pretty sure all snakes are capable of swimming underwater, even if not their normal mode, but can venomous snakes inject their venom under water?

Yeah, it's not about an "ability" to swim underwater. I'd always heard that cottonmouths could do so, I'd just never witnessed it myself. Not even in a video from some random social media account. Which, I just discovered a day or two ago and the guy has some pretty cool content, IMHO.
FrioAg 00
AG
I had heard and assumed the same - never seen it, so cool video.

I was just curious if they could inject their venom. From my novice view I was thinking the glands sort of "squirt" while their fangs puncture and the physics of that might not translate well to water - but 12f set me straight and I appreciate the knowledge.
zooguy96
AG
I've never seen a cottonmouth swim underwater. I've seen tons of water snakes swim underwater. Most other snakes tend to want to stay floating on the water, whether due to morphology or desire.

I do know that none of the snakes I've had liked taking a "shed bath" (when they didn't shed completely).
12f Mane
AG
I've had two separate instances of nearly stepping on a cottonmouth foraging completely underwater. I don't know that they do it often though.
P.U.T.U
AG
I've seen a cottonmouth go underwater when it saw me with a fish in its mouth but never seen one go underwater and come back up with anything
Stive
AG
Do they "hunt" underwater?

What do you mean by foraging underwater?
P.U.T.U
AG
Was taking the dog on a walk and a 3 foot water snake got spooked by us and tried to fly into the pond off a bridge and landed right on a rock. He will be feeling that in the morning
Shoe97
AG
Came across this guy in the front yard today taking the dog out (Lakeway) Best pictures I could get with the dog on her leash.

Coachwhip I think.

DoitBest
S
That's my guess....
12th Man Ag
AG
Are coachwhips docile snakes? They all look pissed off.
P.U.T.U
AG
12th Man Ag said:

Are coachwhips docile snakes? They all look pissed off.

They are until they are threatened. And that's how I always ID them, they all look pissed off
12th Man Ag
AG
Is this a really dark rat snake?
nealan
Don't think so. Almost looks like a DBWS, but the experts will be along shortly to identify
12th Man Ag
AG
nealan said:

Don't think so. Almost looks like a DBWS, but the experts will be along shortly to identify

Broad banded water snake was my second guess.
Badace52
AG
It's a water snake. Location?

Looks like N. Sipedon to me location would determine subspecies.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
12th Man Ag
AG
Badace52 said:

It's a water snake. Location?

Looks like N. Sipedon to me location would determine subspecies.

Humble, Tx
12f Mane
AG
They're pretty grumpy when you get them in hand and that entire genus, in my experience, make it a point to bite you in the face if they can. They look for your eyes and bite in that direction.
12f Mane
AG
That's some sort of banded watersnake but I'm about positive not from Humble. Looks like an east of the Mississippi animal to me.
12th Man Ag
AG
12f Mane said:

That's some sort of banded watersnake but I'm about positive not from Humble. Looks like an east of the Mississippi animal to me.

Maybe someone in our neighborhood posted it for a friend somewhere else.
ocling
AG
Watched this guy chase down and eat a frog. PBWS?
maroon barchetta
Ask him to show you his belly!
Deerdude
Mamba?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.