Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2024

179,936 Views | 1143 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by MyNameIsJeff
jmazz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Safely relocated. (In College Station.)
zooguy96
AG
jmazz said:

Safely relocated. (In College Station.)

Nice. They are really shy, and usually try to hide, so not aggressive at all.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
12f Mane
AG
And just a public service announcement for those brave enough to relocate by hand... you can "tail" corals pretty safely. They can't come back up the entire length of their body and bite. Wouldn't recommend, but fyi.
Poot
Gloves and what not… but that's brave!
C@LAg
12f Mane said:

It can be really snakey at times. The few trips I've made over there and caught a mild/sunny day the garter snakes are everywhere. Last time we got 3 species in a morning

Wandering gartersnake

Northwestern gartersnake

Puget Sound gartersnake

definitely seen all three of those walking along the Green River in south King County
Thisguy1
Looks like the one I nearly stepped on in a yard in Williams Creek today. It was about 10 minutes after I nearly stepped on a ribbon snake which coincidently lines up with when I almost pooped my pants.
HtownAg92
AG
12f Mane said:

It can be really snakey at times. The few trips I've made over there and caught a mild/sunny day the garter snakes are everywhere. Last time we got 3 species in a morning

Wandering gartersnake

Northwestern gartersnake

Puget Sound gartersnake

Those are beautiful snakes. I like that the Puget Sound matches Seattle sports teams' colors.
12f Mane
AG
The Pacific Northwest might be the best place in the world for garter snakes. So many interesting colors and species there.

Ayto Siks
Went fishing this evening and ran into this guy in SW Florida. At first I thought snake, then glass lizard, then eel, then thought none of the above.

He looked like he was struggling on land, so I tried to get him in the water. Super slippery!

Internet says a two toed amphiuma, but there are also three toed, sirens, and who knows what else. What say the experts here? Next time I'll move the rock to see if there's legs.

maroon barchetta
Did you try just asking him for some I.D.?
12f Mane
AG
Asian Swamp Eel. One of a million invasive fish now common in south Florida.
Ayto Siks
I stared at it then got stuck in a stream of quotes from Tremors. "We discovered them, we should name them... that's what I like - graboids!"
Ayto Siks
Well that stinks. Thank you for the ID.
ProgN
Colorado 'mega den' of rattlesnakes growing even bigger | 9news.com

Quote:

The public can watch too on the Project RattleCam website and help with important work including how to tell the snakes apart. Since researchers put their remote camera online in May, several snakes have become known in a chatroom and to scientists by names including "Woodstock," "Thea" and "Agent 008."

The project is a collaboration between California Polytechnic State University in San Luis Obispo, snake removal company Central Coast Snake Services and Dickinson College in Carlisle, Pennsylvania.

By involving the public, the scientists hope to dispel the idea that rattlesnakes are usually fierce and dangerous. In fact, experts say they rarely bite unless threatened or provoked and often are just the opposite.

Rattlesnakes are not only among the few reptiles that care for their young. They even care for the young of others. The adults protect and lend body heat to pups from birth until they enter hibernation in mid-autumn, said Max Roberts, a CalPoly graduate student researcher.

"We regularly see what we like to call 'babysitting,' pregnant females that we can visibly see have not given birth, yet are kind of guarding the newborn snakes," Roberts said Wednesday.

As many as 2,000 rattlesnakes spend the winter at the location on private land, which the researchers are keeping secret to discourage trespassers. Once the weather warms, only pregnant females remain while the others disperse to nearby territory.

Project Rattlecam | Explore the Secret LIves of Rattlesnakes | Rattlesnake Cam

Mathguy64
AG
There is what looks like a non rattler in that pic. Is there some symbiotic relationship happening there?
ProgN
IDK, I just found the article fascinating and wanted to give you guys the links to their live webcams.
12f Mane
AG
That's a wandering gartersnake and I don't think there has been anything observed regarding a symbiotic relationship. At the very least though they recognize that they are not predator/prey. Super cool story.
TheVarian
AG
Twayne_02
AG
Can anyone identify this snake? My wife sent me the picture, so I haven't seen it in person.

Richmond, TX for context. We live on 3 acres and close to a creek.
Pasquale Liucci
AG
Some sort of watersnake. Banded I think

Definitely non venomous
TarponChaser
Non-venomous. Pretty sure it's a diamondback water snake but could be a plain-belly water snake.
Daddy-O5
AG
Diamondback Watersnake
ttha_aggie_09
AG
TarponChaser said:

Non-venomous. Pretty sure it's a diamondback water snake but could be a plain-belly water snake.
DBWS
Twayne_02
AG
Thanks everyone. Found the DBWS when I got home and chased it away from the house. It was hanging around the side yard and freaking out my wife.
Sea Speed
AG
We finally found a big snake on our property! Sucker slithered in to a rat trap in the feed room of the coop. Luckily I am not offshore because my wife would have burnt the place down if I wasnt home.

Sea Speed
AG
I will take the rat trap off when I relocate him. Don't have a way to contain it without it right now.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
It's a rat snake, caught in a rat trap. Seems legit
Sea Speed
AG
SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

It's a rat snake, caught in a rat trap. Seems legit

So perfect.
maroon barchetta
If you keep the snake you no longer need the trap!
Sea Speed
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Yea then none of the females in my family would go get eggs ever again.
Sea Speed
AG
So is this the Texas rat snake? Read it is a subspecies of the black rat snake and can get up to 9 feet long? Wild. This one was over 5 feet.
HarryJ33tamu

Friendly fella
ttha_aggie_09
AG
These are only second to an indigo as far as snakes I want to catch.
DoitBest
S
Sea Speed said:

I will take the rat trap off when I relocate him. Don't have a way to contain it without it right now.
I am surprised it's still alive, those traps are no joke...
JayM
Sea Speed said:

maroon barchetta said:

Yea then none of the females in my family would go get eggs ever again.
Have them study a picture of a rat snake. Impress upon them they do no harm to humans. Zero harm. And let them protect your chickens. Except rat snakes do eat eggs. Probably eat chicks.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.