Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2024

180,010 Views | 1143 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by MyNameIsJeff
Sea Speed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm in piney woods area and have plenty of habitat in my area and can't seem to find anything. Give me tips.
P.U.T.U
AG
zooguy96 said:

Yeah, if you are actually looking for snakes and know where to look, you can find some quite easily in the right habitats.

Others - quite difficult. I've only seen 3 Eastern Hognoses in the field (my favorite snake).
After being in areas with lots of venomous snakes you get pretty good at seeing them. The majority of the time when I do see them I have to point them out to other people and still sometimes they miss them. My wife has gotten really good and has way better eyesight than me, starting to challenge me.

I grew up in Harris county and we had an empty lot with a garage randomly on it. Grass was rarely cut and there were a ton of copperheads around that place. Parents told me once to watch out for them and not to get bit, luckily never did. But you get used to watching for them and how they normally travel, aka they like borders and fence lines.
zooguy96
AG
Sea Speed said:

I'm in piney woods area and have plenty of habitat in my area and can't seem to find anything. Give me tips.

For example - when in West Texas, we'd road cruise anywhere we saw rain on the radar in the evenings. Snakes were usually moving because their food was moving. I remember once we saw 20-ish in an 1 mile stretch of road. Also, after dark on black top (warming up on the road to hunt). During the day, we'd flip rocks, or look in road cuts, again, depending on habitat. Flipping tin, wood, etc that has been there a while has always yielded snakes.

Found the rattlesnake flipping tin. Found the rat snake in a tree. Really, it's about knowing the species and where it would normally be found. Our, just understanding generalities of where snakes are found depending on habitat.

Flipping rocks, logs, tin, etc. has always been an easier way for me to find snakes. Road cruising a close second.

I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
12f Mane
AG
TarponChaser said:

12f Mane said:

While I'd guess 300 is too high I think you'd be surprised how many snakes are in any particular area that you never encounter, especially in that part of the world where the majority are fossorial.

Check out 12f Mane breaking out the $20 words.
Sea Speed
AG
I flipped TONS of tin and didn't find a single one.
Sea Speed
AG
The majority of snakes on our property were found in our pool.
AZAG08
AG
wai3gotgoats said:

If you were inclined to, you could communicate to your spouse that 43560 sq ft (1 acre) divided by 300 = 142.5 square feet per snake. Meaning that, theoretically, you should be able to find a snake in any 10 foot by 14.25 foot rectangle.
Don't figure that will gain you any advantage in the matter, but if she didn't immediately get and wear snake boots when outside, you would have standing to express doubt in the sincerity of her assertion of 300 snakes per acre.
But maybe just keep this calculation on the down low.
Dont try to bring logic into this!!!
FrioAg 00
AG
If you're talking completely raw land in that area, I think your estimate is likely too low but hers is way too high.

But you can be right or you can have peace, so it's your choice how far you want to take this.
P.U.T.U
AG
Thinking about it I think MouthBQ98 probably has more snakes per acre than most of the world
txags92
AG
Sea Speed said:

Move to MouthBQ's neighborhood.
txags92
AG
Not snakes, but they are reptiles…. Took these two a few minutes ago.

Not the same species by the way…
Sea Speed
AG
That first one must have been the inspiration for some of the movie Beetlejuice.
JDGS612
Can't decide whether Texas Garter Snake or Gulf Coast Ribbon Snake. I'd lean Ribbon but I don't imagine the frog cared which species it is!!

Pro Sandy
AG

Southern Pacific Rattlesnake
Found while taking the Scouts hiking
txags92
AG
Sea Speed said:

That first one must have been the inspiration for some of the movie Beetlejuice.

They are hilarious to watch running around with tails curled up behind them
maroon barchetta
He was eating a spiny lizard under my mower.

Poor lizard.
maroon barchetta
Wrong board!
Ducks4brkfast
AG
What we got? CW?

12f Mane
AG
You got it
nealan
Saw a dead on the road timber today. Same place I usually see them. Near Beckville Texas
nealan
On another note, this thread just hit 1000 posts !
TheVarian
AG
Ran into a second rattler on the walking path by my house. Never saw this one nor the other until I heard the rattle.

This one had at least a dozen rattles on the tail, about jumped out of my shorts when I looked and saw him coiled up.

ETA: the rattle is in the middle of the first photo, located in southeast CO

C@LAg
25 years living in the PNW and have never seen a snake anywhere west of the cascades and I have been all over the terrain in that time.

And in the last month alone have seen many garter and western territorial garters.

neat for me.
12f Mane
AG
It can be really snakey at times. The few trips I've made over there and caught a mild/sunny day the garter snakes are everywhere. Last time we got 3 species in a morning

Wandering gartersnake

Northwestern gartersnake

Puget Sound gartersnake
nealan
Do they have many venomous snakes up there ?
12f Mane
AG
Just one, the northern pacific rattlesnake
DJV2012
AG
He looks happy lol
12f Mane
AG
Was not pleased at me for almost stepping on him in tall grass
zooguy96
AG
12f Mane said:

Just one, the northern pacific rattlesnake

Beautiful snake.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
12f Mane
AG
TheVarian said:

Ran into a second rattler on the walking path by my house. Never saw this one nor the other until I heard the rattle.

This one had at least a dozen rattles on the tail, about jumped out of my shorts when I looked and saw him coiled up.

ETA: the rattle is in the middle of the first photo, located in southeast CO

Just so everyone knows, that's a prairie rattlesnake
P.U.T.U
AG
Haven't run in a while but did today, was surprised to see two 3 foot dbws swimming in a creek. Normally only see the smaller ones in this heat
ttha_aggie_09
AG
A place I have been in S Central CO swore they had a big Western they saw but I'm pretty sure it was a Prairie… any thoughts on a western being up West of Trinidad, CO?
12f Mane
AG
No WDBs in Colorado. They get up to around Taos but none have been found to my knowledge in the state.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
That is exactly what I thought and also they had no pictures so I couldn't verify. They were adamant it was a WDB and its barely North of the NM line but still figured it was a prairie rattler.
TheVarian
AG
I'll see if I can get better photos next time, I'm sure they will be out and about again over the next few days

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.