Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2024

179,968 Views | 1143 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by MyNameIsJeff
HtownAg92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yesterday said:

Almost stepped on this guy. Panhandle of Florida. What is it?

Appears to be a lime.
MouthBQ98
AG
Checkered garter snake?

I've been throwing rat snakes out of the chicken coop on the regular. I've gotten to where I just grab them and pull them out. They're not super bitey unless they have a chance to coil up.
12f Mane
Counterpoint
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

Checkered garter snake?

I've been throwing rat snakes out of the chicken coop on the regular. I've gotten to where I just grab them and pull them out. They're not super bitey unless they have a chance to coil up.

Not super bitey, but what about super musky?
MouthBQ98
AG
Stay away from that end. Keep them moving so they can't coordinate themselves and try to ball up. If you kind of grab them at the back of the head and neck and keep gently swinging them back and forth a bit, the little bit of imparted centripetal force discourages them from balling up on your arm.
smstork1007
AG

Alpharetta Ga, just want to be sure before I tell them to kill it or let it be. Thanks.
Poot
I mean, that can only be a copperhead, right?

*not an expert
smstork1007
AG
I think so, but my snake knowledge only comes from this thread over the last few years.
ATX_AG_08
AG
Copperhead, yes.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
smstork1007 said:

I think so, but my snake knowledge only comes from this thread over the last few years.
It has taught you well
Poot
smstork1007 said:

Me too!
japantiger
S
This ******* bit Rowdy about an hour and a half ago...Dixie ran around him but Rowdy went straight in.

Just off the kitchen door on the walk to the trophy room.

japantiger
S
Teresa was coming over and we were going to watch some TV. Dixie came out first and just started barking. Rowdy is not going to get a MENSA INVITE and went straight infor his 3rd poisonous snake encounter (2 rattlers and a copperhead). He's tolerating everything OK right now.

Gotta see if there are more somewhere out here in the daylight tomorrow morning.
smstork1007
AG
Was that snake eating popcorn? Come on Rowdy, you can pull through once again, you stupid little pooch!
japantiger
S
smstork1007 said:

Was that snake eating popcorn? Come on Rowdy, you can pull through once again, you stupid little pooch!

Teresa had a big bowl of popcorn in her hands when this all went down.
aggiesundevil4
AG
Ok…so what caliber and distance…and where is it going in the Great Hall of Trophies?

Seriously - hope your dog gets through this ok!
japantiger
S
He's handled everything well...it's pain meds and fluids now.
MouthBQ98
AG
Ouch!

I saw three different snake species in one trip up my driveway yesterday afternoon:

A big fat plain belly water snake
A juvenile coachwhip
A large ribbon snake, red stripe variety

Pretty cool.
Daddy-O5
AG
Stop leaving your house without your phone or suitable picture taking alternative.

ETA: Just wear a go pro everywhere you go. Problem solved!
P.U.T.U
AG
Saw 3 small DBWS yesterday during a walk. Don't see many big guys during the heat of the summer
japantiger
S
smstork1007 said:

He's moving pretty slow this morning. Loopy from the pain meds. But everything seems to be pointed in the right direction
cheeky
AG
japantiger said:

smstork1007 said:

He's moving pretty slow this morning. Loopy from the pain meds. But everything seems to be pointed in the right direction
Good thing it was just poisonous and not venomous
Serious Lee
thought our resident herpers might appreciate this.

https://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/outdoor/west-texas-herping-trip/114261572/

basically, he finds a kingsnake in both phases, one that is supposedly rare.

and apparently trans pecos copperheads have different coloration than our gulf coast ones.

anyway, pretty interesting thread thats full of different rattlesnakes and spiny lizards and such
HtownAg92
AG
Serious Lee said:

thought our resident herpers might appreciate this.

https://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/outdoor/west-texas-herping-trip/114261572/

basically, he finds a kingsnake in both phases, one that is supposedly rare.

and apparently trans pecos copperheads have different coloration than our gulf coast ones.

anyway, pretty interesting thread thats full of different rattlesnakes and spiny lizards and such
That last copperhead is pretty metal. Have to call it silverhead.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
Geez... He almost photographed himself/his friend getting tagged by a few different venomous snakes.
12f Mane
AG
Yeah... that's a great trip with lots of neat finds but anytime I see grown adults taking trophy shots with every venomous snake they find I have to roll my eyes.
Poot
Looking thru those pics, I never realized that rattlesnake pupils don't look like coppers or cottonmouths… I guess I would have thought they'd be more similar.
Serious Lee
craziest thing is the guy is a retired dentist who only recently felt comfortable handling the venemous ones cause he no longer needs his hands for a living. louisiana folk are just different.
TarponChaser
12f Mane said:

Yeah... that's a great trip with lots of neat finds but anytime I see grown adults taking trophy shots with every venomous snake they find I have to roll my eyes.

Venomous snakes don't really bother me and I've relocated a few but using a big trash can and since I don't have tongs and old golf putter work well to move them along, but I doubt I'll ever want to grab a hot snake.
zooguy96
AG
Meh, hot snakes are usually more calm than say rat snakes. Handled many in my time. Never got close to getting bitten. Never had one strike.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
cuz-i-can
AG
Just thought it was a kool picture...

12th Man Ag
AG
A couple of cool ones (IMO) from Costa Rica.

TarponChaser
What is that last snake? Appears to be some kind of small viper.
Daddy-O5
AG
Tough to tell from the angle, but I think it's got to be an eye lash viper based on location.
zooguy96
AG
TarponChaser said:

What is that last snake? Appears to be some kind of small viper.

Eyelash viper. Definitely.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.