Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2024

180,183 Views | 1143 Replies | Last: 10 hrs ago by MyNameIsJeff
watty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's been 72 hours since it happened and my finger is still numb/tingly where it happened, but there's definitely nothing under my skin. And I shouldn't have said there was no swelling, there was, and still is, some swelling, it's just not much.
MouthBQ98
AG
Sounds like the striped bark scorpion sting I got last year. I red dot, burned like hell if no ice on it. Throbbing pain that would come and go, and was tingly numb in the area for a few days.
TheAggiesAreWe03
AG
Any idea what this POS is?

aggiesundevil4
AG
Yep, the slimy orange liar snake. It lures its prey with NIL money then stabs it in the back.
RED AG 98
AG
TheAggiesAreWe03 said:

gravid yellow-bellied orange hornsnake
Badace52
AG
TheAggiesAreWe03 said:

You nailed it. That is without a doubt a POS.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ought1ag
zooguy96
AG
RED AG 98 said:

TheAggiesAreWe03 said:

gravid yellow-bellied orange hornsnake

It thinks it is camouflaging by looking like a piece of ***** But, no camouflage there. It's just a steaming, ripe, disgusting, smelly, trashy, hideous piece of *****
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
Mas89
AG

Drove by this guy at the ranch. Interestingly it had a leech of some kind attached to the top of its shell. Huge head and legs when it stood up to walk.
He was near a ditch with water in it.
zooguy96
AG
Mas89 said:

Drove by this guy at the ranch. Interestingly it had a leech of some kind attached to the top of its shell. Huge head and legs when it stood up to walk.
He was near a ditch with water in it.

Yeah, leeches not uncommon on common and alligator snappers. That is a common.
Sea Speed
AG
There were leeches on a slider I found in my front yard last fall.
mandevilleag
What's up with this dude's shell?

Daddy-O5
AG
Someone wanted a turtle snack.
MouthBQ98
AG
Found 3 last night. Warm and humid and still outside.

MouthBQ98
AG
If you're going to have to deal with a pit viper on a regular basis, copperhead is the way to go. I imagine they were insect/cicada hunting. Bugs were everywhere.
Badace52
AG
Couple water snakes wanted to join in with my son and me fishing yesterday. One of them made off with a small perch we threw back. The bullhead catfish got away.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
alamogeorge
AG
After years of seeing this thread pinned at the top, I opened it last night while waiting for baseball news. Several hours later it became my favorite thread. As a kid, I was a self proclaimed herpetologist. I had two young rat snakes that were rescued from people who were unknowingly threatened by them. We released them once they were bigger. Had a red tailed boa also. I prefer to watch these guys in the wild now instead of caging them in an aquarium. Lots of good info here. It has probably saved a few snakes and a bite or two.
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Aggieland!" -Davy Crockett
GeorgiAg
AG
Herpetologist? New word for me.

Anywho. Here is a South Georgia Rattling Danger Noodle my forester killed.
zooguy96
AG
GeorgiAg said:

If true, he might not want to post. Eastern Diamondbacks are protected in Georgia - it is illegal to kill them.
GeorgiAg
AG
zooguy96 said:

GeorgiAg said:

If true, he might not want to post. Eastern Diamondbacks are protected in Georgia - it is illegal to kill them.
Whoops.

But it's ok if you say this before you shoot, right?

It's legal in Georgia to kill venomous snakes. It's illegal in North Carolina. Also, from the article: you can't keep a non-venomous snake as a pet but you can keep a venomous one.

https://www.ajc.com/news/local/illegal-kill-most-snakes-georgia/VMizguV4eDe6fJlWzg24RP/

JayM
GeorgiAg said:

Shouldn't kill them. It's a magnificent snake. We have big brains so that we can figure out how to avoid them. Where they live. Forester has a gut on him.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Genuinely shocked this hasn't gone viral on next door or someone else with a caption of:

"Careful out there boys and girls of the Woodlands! This 9.5' rattlesnake was killed just off woodlands parkway and had a chihuahua in its belly"
TarponChaser
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Genuinely shocked this hasn't gone viral on next door or someone else with a caption of:

"Careful out there boys and girls of the Woodlands! This 9.5' rattlesnake was killed just off woodlands parkway and had a chihuahua in its belly"
Somebody with a NextDoor account needs to step up and make it happen then report back here as hilarity ensues.
GeorgiAg
AG
JayM said:

GeorgiAg said:

Shouldn't kill them. It's a magnificent snake. We have big brains so that we can figure out how to avoid them. Where they live. Forester has a gut on him.

I wouldn't kill it. Plus it's the property where i have the easement problem with the neighbor. Maybe it will bite him in the ass.

Ole boy needs some Ozempic.
maroon barchetta
GeorgiAg said:

JayM said:

GeorgiAg said:

I wouldn't kill it. Plus it's the property where i have the easement problem with the neighbor. Maybe it will bite him in the ass.

Ole boy needs to make better dietary choices and show a little self control.

FIFY if my doctor was using my account to post this.
Burdizzo
AG
GeorgiAg said:

JayM said:

GeorgiAg said:

Ole boy needs some Ozempic.

That belly wards off all but the largest South Florida pythons.
GeorgiAg
AG
I can attest. There ain't much to do in that part of Georgia other than drink a few Budweisers.
BadAzzBohemian
AG
Another near Barker Reservoir

ttha_aggie_09
AG
You in Kelliwood somewhere? That's my old stomping grounds. Caught a bunch of snake in Barker from Mason Creek all the way to Buffalo Bayou.
BadAzzBohemian
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

You in Kelliwood somewhere? That's my old stomping grounds. Caught a bunch of snake in Barker from Mason Creek all the way to Buffalo Bayou.

Nearby off Baker Rd backing up to GB Park.
Poot
Pretty speckled in Bridgeland.
bigevent99
AG
Water snake or cottonmouth? Sorry not a great pic
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Looks a lot like a DBWS but it's a pretty low quality picture…
Badace52
AG
100% water snake. Hard to know for sure which species but DBWS would be my guess as well.
MouthBQ98
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.