Outdoors
Sponsored by

Saltwater Flyfishing

518,650 Views | 3108 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by dr_boogs
AgFlyGuy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Coming into the last day tomorrow. Been hit or miss on the wind/weather/sun which have made things tough. Group of 12 anglers and we've landed 3 permit in 5 days. Have had no less than 6 refusals on permit and a couple tarpon eats but never got tight….until today. ~60# to the boat.

Ayto Siks
Such a classic tarpon move - you really captured the moment. And a reasonable estimate on the weight. Bravo, sir.
AgFlyGuy
AG
Not me, but one of the guys in our group landed this stud on the last day. Epic trip despite the tough conditions.
Newoldarmy
AG
Fished Cozumel last week.
Ayto Siks
Lots of good stuff. I've been trying to catch baby permit in the surf without much luck. If I cast at them, they swim away before my fly sinks. If I cast where I think they're going, they go somewhere else. I hooked one on an orange scud fly, but he fell off right when I went to grab him. I didn't realize that a pompano previously straightened the hook a little bit.

I dont know why, but that trigger fish is extra cool.
Newoldarmy
AG
The baby permit we see in Mexico eat just like bonefish rather than mature permit.

They eat shrimp patterns and the smallest crabs and I wouldn't worry about weight. The strip I think is what makes them different. On a single or pair of mature permit we use a long, slow strip followed by a couple of bumps then another long, slow strip. We watch the fish and see what seems to excite it. On babies it's just strip fast and less than six inches per strip.

Are they singles or schooled up?

One of these shown ate a white shrimp pattern from Strip Strike flies. The other ate a tan EP micro crab and we've caught several on that. Like in the photos below but with small bead chain instead of lead.

Side note: we took a half dozen of those strip strike shrimp in olive and a dozen in tan and we lost all of them over a week of bonefishing in the mangroves. My buddy caught his permit on the white one because we were out of the others.

If the baby permit are schooled up we just get it in front of them and strip fast and short like a bonefish.

Yeah, that trigger was beautiful and covered in those starburst spots.

Btw, I love your posts. Baby tarpon are my favorite.
Ayto Siks
Thanks for the info! I'll try faster strips.

The baby permit I'm seeing are a touch smaller than the ones you caught. They're in schools of 5+ and swim around aimlessly near the bottom in 3 feet of water. They show up, disappear, then when I'm about to give up, they're back at my feet.

I've had minimal luck with freshwater flies like hares ears and scuds. I don't think they're seeing the crab flies or bonefish bitters for some reason.

Here's what I'm using... maybe the perms I'm going for are still too small. I'm sure they are permit and not pompano.

TarponChaser
I have no help to offer other than to say, permit are ********s.

I haven't had the chance to have a bunch of shots at them but I've literally had those buggers tip down to eat my fly and they swivel those chameleon eyes up and see me on the skiff, look me dead in the eye, flip me the middle fin, and bug out.
Newoldarmy
AG
They should pounce on that turneffe micro on the bottom right.
dr_boogs
AG
Alto - no idea if your permit and fishery are right for these flies (baby permit in the surf not the same as big permit in the Belize flats), but these flies are THE crab fly to throw at the permit in S Belize. These are what I caught my crab on, and also got more follows/looks/rejections on these than anything else.

https://ssflies.com/product/camo-crab/
dr_boogs
AG
Here's a writeup of my Florida Keys fishing trip from week before last. It was an amazing week on the water. It was my first time to the keys and it lived up to the hype. I fished out of Marathon, 4 days of fishing. Fly only. Weather was hit or miss. First two days it was blowing 25-30, day 3 was the best weather day, winds in the 15-20 and no rain, 4th day started good and went south around lunchtime.

Day 1:
Launched 6:15, fished the backside of the keys for baby tarpon to get my feet wet and probably for my guide to figure me out too. The first trip w a poling skiff fly fishing guide is a lot like a first date. Nobody knows what to expect, there's been a lot of back and forth talk before the trip about how each person fishes, etc, but you never know until you step on the boat.

One of my favorite things about fishing is sunrises on the water. We ran about 20 minutes to one of the small islands just off Marathon looking for baby tarpon. Wind had been blowing 20-30 for a few days from the E/NE, so the game was to fish the windward side of these islands where the grass blows and stacks up. About 40-50 yards from shore the water goes from Keys clear to turbid like we are used to fishing on the middle coast, and then it gets pretty dark/brown right up against the grass. The baby tarpon cruise that turbid water looking for bait, as that water has reduced oxygen content and the bait fish rise closer to the surface to oxygenate. The tarpon have an advantage because of their ability to roll and breathe oxygen, so they excel in feeding on the bait rising to the surface there.

In those conditions, the game is to pole those windward shorelines looking for baby tarpon (2-20 lb fish) rolling and crushing/busting bait, then you basically blind cast to spots that look like they would hold fish - structure, eddies, rips around points. If you happen to be in them rolling and busting of course you throw to them (or in front of them) too. Threw dark colored shrimp patterns and absolutely cleaned up on the baby tarpon. Probably had 15-18 jumps and landed 8 baby tarpon to the boat, all in the 5-8 pound range. The baby tarpon are super aggressive, hit hard, and are a ton of fun to catch. They jump and run and don't take much time to get to the boat. My uncle told me "those are the size tarpon I like to catch".

My guide was outstanding, grew up in the Caribbean and the Keys and knows his stuff. Been guiding out of Marathon full time 7-8 years. Runs a Chittum Snake Bite. Even though I told him I fly fished the Tx coast quite a bit, before we got started he gave me the usual first time salt water tips like don't trout set, don't raise your rod, etc. I put a few strip sets on these baby tarpon and lost 3 flies with breakoffs and lost a 3rd with a bent hook and he says..."Ok, well, you can cast and strip set, let's step you up to a bigger hook". We started landing more fish and didn't lose any more flies.

Also caught a micro barracuda. Having never caught one before, even though it's tiny, it still counts for a new species on the fly. And these were my first tarpon on the fly.

Day1 Pics:

Day 2:
Day 2 was a completely different experience. We fished the ocean side looking for shots on big fish. That game is a little less active. Not a ton of poling around. It was really windy (blowing 20-28 all day) and so it's almost impossible to hold a skiff in position with a poll all day waiting for migrating fish. So we "posted up" or anchored about 200 yards from one of the bridges on the migratory path that the big fish follow. Water depth was 4-6 feet. Then it was sit, wait, and watch.

We just didn't see many fish (3-4) and never had any shots. I didn't even make a cast. It was a lot of sitting and staring holes in the water. Did see a juvenile manatee and a good sized loggerhead turtle and a couple of sharks. Keys water on the ocean side was beautiful, crystal clear even with all that wind. At about 3:00 my guide asked me if I wanted to move and go try and find the babies again. We did, but by that time of the day the water temp was up and the baby tarpon spots were blown out. It was still an awesome day on the water. Saw some great thunderstorms and the best sunrise of the trip.

Day 3:
Day 3 we went after ocean side big fish again, but launched 10 miles east and fished the ocean side E of marathon. Happened to be in the keys when the biggest tarpon fly tournament was going on, the golden fly. Turns out that the #1 and #2 boats in the golden fly both wanted to fish on the flat that my guide fishes almost every day, and they were cool enough to message him a few days before and ask him if they minded if they fished the flat. He said no problem, so we were posted up between the boats that eventually placed 1 and 2 in the tournament. Of the 4 boats on that flat that day, there were only 2 eats and 2 fish caught, one release fish and one weight fish. Those were on Dustin Huff's boat. He was about 250 yards due east of us.

I really only got 2-3 good shots at a school of big tarpon. The best school was an 18-20 pack of big fish that showed up upwind. Guide did the best he could to position the boat, wind was 15-18 so manageable and I can usually cast pretty well into that wind, but man, I saw those big tarpon and I lost my cast completely. Huge adrenaline rush to see fish that big that close. My first shot was short, my second shot was short, and my 3rd shot was in line with the middle of the pack. I stripped, got a follow, saw a huge tarpon rise at the fly, her mouth opened, and right at the last minute she saw something she didn't like and closed her mouth swiped it sideways with her head and she was gone. It happened in a split second but she was within 20-30 feet of the boat and because the water was so clear, you could see it all, it was incredible. Anyhow, didn't get any other legitimate shots at groups of fish that day but it was a great way to see what big tarpon fishing on the ocean side of the keys is really like. For those of you looking for a good stripping basket, the XL/widest carbon marine basket is excellent. Probably gonna get one for our boat.

Day 4:
On the last day I asked to run up to Everglades National Park, which is a 40 minute run from Marathon as long as the weather is good. We launched 5:15 and spend the morning working islands just inside the park, we could see mainland FL on the horizon. We started in low light looking for rolling tarpon. We saw a few tarpon but they were so close to the boat in that light that we didn't get any shots on them. Did some blind casting to points and troughs but didn't get any takes.

Saw another juvenile manatee, this one probably 250 pounds.

Ran to another flat that holds snook, but nobody was home. Went to another island and about that time a huge storm cell came our way from the south. He had planned to take us farther N into the park but we had to stay close to the island, some medium rain, thunder, etc. While poling around the shores of that island, caught a rat redfish (first red on the fly in FL, checks the "redfish in another gulf state box"), and came across a sand flat with 20-30 cruising lemon sharks. Guide says "well, this weather is gonna prevent us from looking for more big tarpon where I wanted to go, want to catch a shark?". Heck yeah. He quickly put on a large red and orange fly with some wire bit tippet and proceeded to pole and cast at sharks for 20-30 minutes. Finally hooked one. Probably a 30 pound lemon shark. They make a big strong run but that's about it, no acrobatics or anything like that.

We ran back S to Marathon between storm cells, hit a couple of spots looking for tarpon on the way back, but then another storm cell came up and this one was hard ran, thankfully we made it back to the N side of the island right as the big rain hit us. We spent the last hour and a half anchoring above the bridges throwing bait patterns and letting the current take the flies up under the bridge pilings. Apparently the big tarpon will post-op under the shade and ambush bait fish as they come through the shadows. Didn't get any takes, and headed back to the marina about 4:00.

All in all, this was an amazing first trip to the keys, and while I'm bummed I didn't get more shots at big ocean side fish, I'll be back next year to try and get a few eats and jumps!

Centerpole90
Ayto Siks
Great link. Just put some camo crabs and backcountry sweepers in the cart. The cult classic flies look good, too. Gotta narrow this down a bit and lose this website. Edit: I have the EP turneffe micro on my 5wt right now. Added 3 feet of 6# to make the leader extraaaaa long. Been to the beach a few times, but the water hasn't been clear enough to find 'em.

Your trip report for the Keys is fantastic. The pictures are great, but I like the writing the most.

Roaming baby tarpon with seagrass piled up... reminds me of a frustrating time where every cast landed on grass or a leader knot would hang up. I ended up changing to a gurgler and leaving it where it landed - actually worked pretty well just floating there.

Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed the read!
Al Bula
AG
Great trip report!
TarponChaser
Great stuff. I'm headed to the FL Panhandle next week for poon. And can't wait.
AgFlyGuy
AG
Not a fish but fishing related. , The new skiff is almost finished. Picking it up the 23rd.
RickSawyer
AG
Tiller gang!!! Photos like that might get me back into a skiff again. Beautiful boat.
chocolatelabs
AG
Boogs.

do you have the name of the guide you used?
LRHF
AG
Boogs trip looks like it was fun!!! Cool shark catch. Those big tarpon are tough but man I love baby tarpon!!! Baby tarpon remind me of big bass that jump and run like they are in crack .

The Drake skiff looks amazing!

Thanks to both of you for posting some cool content!!!
chocolatelabs
AG
AgFlyGuy said:

Not a fish but fishing related. , The new skiff is almost finished. Picking it up the 23rd.

Is there a sign up sheet for going out with you?
Newoldarmy
AG
Just back from Guanaja. Four permit landed and my stepson got his first one.

Amazing place.
AgFlyGuy
AG
Always up for meeting new folks with similar passions. I'm based out of Houston but fish between POC and Beaumont. When it comes in we can definitely set up a time.

Got another teaser pic. Got a black Yeti 45 that will need to still be mounted. I had a bigger water skiff before so this is meant to be as skinny as I can get.

chocolatelabs
AG
Al Bula
AG
FYI: Florida Keys Outfitters liquidates their fly fishing school demo rods every so often.

https://www.floridakeysoutfitters.com/salt-r8-school-rods.html

They have some Sage Salt R8s available in 7wt, 8wt and 10wt at super discounted prices. I've gotten spoiled on the 1 piece rods G Loomis rods i fish with my FL Keys guide, but im turning up game and want to start traveling with my own set-up. My guide says Sage and Orvis are notorious for breaking in the 11/12wt range for tarpon, but I'll take my chances with my own rod for bonefish, non-bull reds and snook I think.

No clue if that's really the case but I'll trust the captain's opinion for big inshore sportfish.

On a side note: I was admiring the limited edition Sage 11wt Tarpon One rod in the Angling Company in KW awhile back and those retail for almost 1400 bucks. Kinda cool moment because I was quizzing Nathaniel Linville about the rod but didn't ask him if that's what he personally fishes with. He won the Gold Cup this year just a few weeks later.

It's also amazing to me that the 11wt G Loomis/Tibor combo tarpon rig I use with my guide is lighter than the 10wt TFO set up i use for practicing at home. I'm using way too heavy of a line and will be consulting a fly shop soon.

TLDR: fly rod retail tactics should be compared against actual fishing, but a good deal is a good deal (but it is still subjective what defines a "good deal")
chocolatelabs
AG
Al,

since you may have insight on fishing in key west. what are your thoughts on fishing in KW from nov-march. thinking about a trip but may be the wrong time of the year.
TarponChaser
chocolatelabs said:

Al,

since you may have insight on fishing in key west. what are your thoughts on fishing in KW from nov-march. thinking about a trip but may be the wrong time of the year.

I've fished Key West in that time frame a few times. I fish with John O'Hearn who was recommended to me by a couple Ags that used to post here- eyeballz & BClark. O'Hearn also fishes Linville a lot (or used to).

The fishing in that time frame is often outstanding as long as there isn't some extreme cold front. And by extreme cold front I mean lows in the 50's or so. It does seem more likely to get those fronts in late-January to early-March. You tend to have a lot fewer skiffs on the flats too.

I've caught bonefish and tarpon in November there. Had shots at permit but they're ********s and refused to eat my fly. And barracuda are typically best in the cooler months.
Ayto Siks
Typed out a long trip report, but accidentally refreshed the page and lost it.

Short version: caught a bunch of baby tarpon. One of those slimeballs knocked my phone in the water. Dropped it a 2nd time trying to swipe no-see-ums from my eyelids.

Roller:

Little guy:

More:

This blurry pic pains me because it would have been good..these are the moments that are burned into my brain, and I really wanted a good pic.

Biggest tarpon of the day. 40+ inches. Again, wish my lens wasn't blurry.
AgFlyGuy
AG
I meant to mention this before the event, but did anyone else fish the Borracho Pescador? We've done this tournament every year for the last 6 years and wish we'd have done it sooner. You should check out the website and make plans to attend next year if not, it's for a great cause and it's one helluva party. I think I saw a posting on their IG that stated they'd raised over $350K this year, which puts them over $1.2M for charity.

We ended up getting 10th out of ~87 teams (I think), finishing with 101-1/8". We had 6 fish break off, most I've ever seen. 2 were due to our own issues, wrapping around the push pole holder on one, and the reel on the other before the line snapped. Both were good mid/upper slot fish. We had another 3 lost (all mine of course) on hooks being sprung after setting. All 3 were "new" flies, some of which may have been a year old and others purchased within the last 3 months. Weirdest thing I've seen but it's convinced me that I'm going to start tying my own flies from now on so I can control more about the quality of the hooks.

We landed 4 scorers on Friday, with our total ~84", biggest one was 21.5". We new the bigger fish were there (we'd lost at least 3 25"+) so we went back and go lucky finally connecting on a few and we were able to upgrade everyone of our Friday fish, finishing it off with a nice 28". It was nice to catch so many fish, but man was it nice to get out and see everyone, raise some money for a good cause, and relax for a few days.

New skiff was amazing, and we floated in some stuff where the fish had their backs out of the water. It got christened with some oyster rash of its own but super impressed with the way the boat handled and fished. I'll be making a point to fish more and will likely be leaving it down in POC so I can make quicker trips down/back, as it doesn't exhaust me like the other one did due to its weight/size.

Next year will be the 14th year they've done the tournament, usually the 3rd Thurs-Sat in Sept. Highly encourage those that want to attend or to know more to reach out to them (or me) but truly an amazing tournament.

dr_boogs
AG
I'm out of the country or I would have fished it this year and that would have put you at 11!

I kid I kid, about pushing you to 11th. We keep our skiff there in POC, gonna finally have to hook up and fish!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.