Outdoors
Sponsored by

Saltwater Flyfishing

480,326 Views | 3088 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by Newoldarmy
AgFlyGuy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Coming into the last day tomorrow. Been hit or miss on the wind/weather/sun which have made things tough. Group of 12 anglers and we've landed 3 permit in 5 days. Have had no less than 6 refusals on permit and a couple tarpon eats but never got tight….until today. ~60# to the boat.

Ayto Siks
Such a classic tarpon move - you really captured the moment. And a reasonable estimate on the weight. Bravo, sir.
AgFlyGuy
AG
Not me, but one of the guys in our group landed this stud on the last day. Epic trip despite the tough conditions.
Newoldarmy
AG
Fished Cozumel last week.
Ayto Siks
Lots of good stuff. I've been trying to catch baby permit in the surf without much luck. If I cast at them, they swim away before my fly sinks. If I cast where I think they're going, they go somewhere else. I hooked one on an orange scud fly, but he fell off right when I went to grab him. I didn't realize that a pompano previously straightened the hook a little bit.

I dont know why, but that trigger fish is extra cool.
Newoldarmy
AG
The baby permit we see in Mexico eat just like bonefish rather than mature permit.

They eat shrimp patterns and the smallest crabs and I wouldn't worry about weight. The strip I think is what makes them different. On a single or pair of mature permit we use a long, slow strip followed by a couple of bumps then another long, slow strip. We watch the fish and see what seems to excite it. On babies it's just strip fast and less than six inches per strip.

Are they singles or schooled up?

One of these shown ate a white shrimp pattern from Strip Strike flies. The other ate a tan EP micro crab and we've caught several on that. Like in the photos below but with small bead chain instead of lead.

Side note: we took a half dozen of those strip strike shrimp in olive and a dozen in tan and we lost all of them over a week of bonefishing in the mangroves. My buddy caught his permit on the white one because we were out of the others.

If the baby permit are schooled up we just get it in front of them and strip fast and short like a bonefish.

Yeah, that trigger was beautiful and covered in those starburst spots.

Btw, I love your posts. Baby tarpon are my favorite.
Ayto Siks
Thanks for the info! I'll try faster strips.

The baby permit I'm seeing are a touch smaller than the ones you caught. They're in schools of 5+ and swim around aimlessly near the bottom in 3 feet of water. They show up, disappear, then when I'm about to give up, they're back at my feet.

I've had minimal luck with freshwater flies like hares ears and scuds. I don't think they're seeing the crab flies or bonefish bitters for some reason.

Here's what I'm using... maybe the perms I'm going for are still too small. I'm sure they are permit and not pompano.

TarponChaser
I have no help to offer other than to say, permit are ********s.

I haven't had the chance to have a bunch of shots at them but I've literally had those buggers tip down to eat my fly and they swivel those chameleon eyes up and see me on the skiff, look me dead in the eye, flip me the middle fin, and bug out.
Newoldarmy
AG
They should pounce on that turneffe micro on the bottom right.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.