What game are you playing now?

126,513 Views | 965 Replies | Last: 19 hrs ago by J182
Lathspell
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
YouBet said:

flintdragon said:

4th time through Elden Ring right now for me. Favorite game ever and I still suck at it. I'm probably the worst soulslike gamer but I still love it.

Crimson Desert was good for a bit but the gameplay just didn't do it for me. Yes you can do a lot of stuff but it's all just fluff to me.

You realize you are a sado-masochist, yes?

What? Elden Ring is easy.

I play it to relax. When you know the mechanics, it's a breeze of a game. I only really have to sit up and focus on about 4 bosses, in the base game.
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Lathspell said:

YouBet said:

flintdragon said:

4th time through Elden Ring right now for me. Favorite game ever and I still suck at it. I'm probably the worst soulslike gamer but I still love it.

Crimson Desert was good for a bit but the gameplay just didn't do it for me. Yes you can do a lot of stuff but it's all just fluff to me.

You realize you are a sado-masochist, yes?

What? Elden Ring is easy.

I play it to relax. When you know the mechanics, it's a breeze of a game. I only really have to sit up and focus on about 4 bosses, in the base game.

It's not remotely easy. It's easy compared to other Souls game based on general consensus commentary from Souls experts in this thread and the internet, but not easy compared to most other games.

It's an absolute slog and not for me. I respect the game for what it is, but it wasn't fun dying all the time and having to retread my steps over and over.
flintdragon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Dying in ER isn't much a problem usually because they put bonfires everywhere. I die a LOT. The runback isn't that bad.

I don't know why but I always start from scratch even though I have characters with all the drops. For some reason, I never do new game+.
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
flintdragon said:

Dying in ER isn't much a problem usually because they put bonfires everywhere. I die a LOT. The runback isn't that bad.

I don't know why but I always start from scratch even though I have characters with all the drops. For some reason, I never do new game+.

Yeah, I guess I just got tired of the runback. And that actually makes sense now that I think about it because I never play games a second time once I'm done. Don't see the point.

So, maybe the constant runbacks in ER were essentially a proxy of this aspect of gaming that I do not like. I hate having to replay the same stuff over and over.
jr15aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I find it strange that I haven't played ER yet. I've beaten every Souls game going back to the OG Demon's Souls which was probably the most brutal. I've even played and beaten a few other Souls like such as Mortal Shell and Lies of P.

Elden Ring is considered by some to be the absolute pinnacle of the genre, and yet, it's the one I haven't even played yet. It's on my to do list, but I'm not itching to play it yet.
Lathspell
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Meh... I think most games are just easy, these days. Elden Ring isn't harder than the vast majority of games released on the NES, SNES, or Sega Genesis. If you don't truly know all the mechanics, it can seem harder than it is. For example, I see too many first time players think, "I like fast attacking weapons! I'll dual wield curved swords!" But they never get the correct talismans, they don't distribute attribute points correctly, they never infuse them with frost or bleed, and they never really interact with weapon arts or affinities. We could both enter Stormveil at the exact same level, after starting with the exact same "class". I guarantee you my character would probably do 50% more damage than you, if not more.

Also, all FromSoft games are 2-3X harder on your first playthrough. After that, you basically know where everyone is and have most bosses' move sets pretty much downloaded. Makes replays super easy. I cruise through Elden Ring like I do through Breath of the Wild. Hell, I would argue playing Breath of the Wild on Master Quest mode is harder than 95% of Elden Ring.
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Lathspell said:

Meh... I think most games are just easy, these days. Elden Ring isn't harder than the vast majority of games released on the NES, SNES, or Sega Genesis. If you don't truly know all the mechanics, it can seem harder than it is. For example, I see too many first time players think, "I like fast attacking weapons! I'll dual wield curved swords!" But they never get the correct talismans, they don't distribute attribute points correctly, they never infuse them with frost or bleed, and they never really interact with weapon arts or affinities. We could both enter Stormveil at the exact same level, after starting with the exact same "class". I guarantee you my character would probably do 50% more damage than you, if not more.

Also, all FromSoft games are 2-3X harder on your first playthrough. After that, you basically know where everyone is and have most bosses' move sets pretty much downloaded. Makes replays super easy. I cruise through Elden Ring like I do through Breath of the Wild. Hell, I would argue playing Breath of the Wild on Master Quest mode is harder than 95% of Elden Ring.

I get that. I went online and consulted the interweb and AI to help me with point distribution and build because I knew this game was very hard going into it. I think I got about 20% in before I bailed.

On the bold, that is another reason why I don't play games again. What's the point of replaying now that it's super easy and you know everywhere to go and how to combat everything? And not really with this game, but most annoyingly have to click through all of the same dialogue again. Woof.

Of course, as I already stated, I suck at Souls games so doing a replay would likely be just as difficult and sloggy as my first playthrough. Lol.

Aren't you just wasting time going through the motions? There are so many other games out there that you could experience for the first time. My brain doesn't compute this, and I realize I'm in the minority.
@NFLPlayerProps
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Currently playing CFB 27. I am so washed its pathetic. Was ranked top 100 in the nation online for a while back in the day. Now my 13 year old son just kicks me up and down the field with no mercy or remorse. This is how my roommates/friends must have felt back then, its horrible.
Lathspell
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Different builds provide a different experience. Also, the replays go MUCH faster because you don't have to go everywhere. The fun for me is creating a brand new build and seeing how it does against the various bosses. If I was just b-lining it through the game, I could probably beat Elden Ring in less than 20 hours. That's not rushing through, that's just a direct pace from one thing to the next.

I personally love replaying my favorite games. It's like watching a favorite movie, again. I don't usually finish most games I start replaying, unless they're FromSoft games. Big games like Skyrim, Oblivion, Morrowind, Cyberpunk, Fallout 3, FO4, FONV, The Witcher 3, etc, I have never actually fully beaten more than once. However, I've started many new playthroughs on each, investing around 20 hours in each playthrough before moving on to something else.
flintdragon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't replay many games other than FromSoft games. And ever since I discovered the soulslike genre, other game types are just kind of meh. Was hoping Crimson Desert would have staying power for me but after a 2 week vacation, I lost all momentum and interest.

easttexasaggie04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Got a Switch2 for my birthday. Downloaded Donkey Kong, Star Fox, and Mario Kart! Which should I try first?
Hagen95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I hate you guys now. I went back and looked at my steam account. 18 years worth of gaming. 3600 hours in PUBG! 2100 hours in Team Fortress 2. My BF6 numbers are getting up there (780) My wife can never know how to look these numbers up.

On topic, I finished Windrose to its current state and am still grinding BF6 with the squadmates. Waiting on the next Valheim drop (1.0 on Sept. 9). Also filling in some time with the current season of D4.
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hagen95 said:

I hate you guys now. I went back and looked at my steam account. 18 years worth of gaming. 3600 hours in PUBG! 2100 hours in Team Fortress 2. My BF6 numbers are getting up there (780) My wife can never know how to look these numbers up.

On topic, I finished Windrose to its current state and am still grinding BF6 with the squadmates. Waiting on the next Valheim drop (1.0 on Sept. 9). Also filling in some time with the current season of D4.

BTW, how is that game now? I loved it but had to quit. Playing K&M actually gave me carpal tunnel. Haven't played since probably first year it was out.
Ghost of Bisbee
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just finished Metaphor Refantazio. Took me 100 hours but still very much enjoyed it. I have exclusively been playing Japanese developed games over the last year because they have been so much better than the trash we've been getting from the western devs lately.

Have moved on to 007 First Light, which will be my first western developed game since Split Fiction I think.

Will probably move on to Adventures of Elliott next. I've been really into JRPGs lately. Anyone play this one yet?
heddleston
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Star Fox! You can beat it pretty quickly.
heddleston
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG




You will not find a better post-apocalyptic, open world, modern PSX game, made by four Polish dudes on the market today.
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looks pretty cool. What platform are you playing this on?
jr15aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
PS Plus is adding Rise of Ronin and Avatar this month. Not sure if I'll get around to Ronin, but Avatar is one that I've been wanting to try.
Ghost of Bisbee
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
PS5, but I'd prefer to play it on a portable

I was on a flight earlier this week that had Starlink. I remoted into my PS5 on my ipad while in the air to play metaphor. I got disconnected a few times but couldn't believe how well it worked. The future is here
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ghost of Bisbee said:

PS5, but I'd prefer to play it on a portable

I was on a flight earlier this week that had Starlink. I remoted into my PS5 on my ipad while in the air to play metaphor. I got disconnected a few times but couldn't believe how well it worked. The future is here

Thanks. I have zero desire to play games on portable, but glad it's an option for others.

If I can't use controller, I'm not doing it.
jr15aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ghost of Bisbee said:


I was on a flight earlier this week that had Starlink. I remoted into my PS5 on my ipad while in the air to play metaphor. I got disconnected a few times but couldn't believe how well it worked. The future is here


Yep. I played FFXVI in the hotel room this morning (remote stream from home PS5 to steam deck).

You definitely can't play any quick twitch games due to the slight input delay... But RPGs play incredibly well.
WGann3
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The future is most definitely here. I've been down in Port Aransas with the family the last week and when everyone crashes before dad I've been playing Darksiders Warmastered Edition on my Odin 2 Portal. Playing it through Gamenative/Steam. It's wild how far PC emulation has come on Android devices in the last few months. I can't play modern AAA games on it or anything crazy like that (unless streaming from my PC) but I have been able to play a bunch of new indies and older AAA games with almost no issue.
jr15aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
WGann3 said:

The future is most definitely here. I've been down in Port Aransas with the family the last week and when everyone crashes before dad I've been playing Darksiders Warmastered Edition on my Odin 2 Portal. Playing it through Gamenative/Steam. It's wild how far PC emulation has come on Android devices in the last few months. I can't play modern AAA games on it or anything crazy like that (unless streaming from my PC) but I have been able to play a bunch of new indies and older AAA games with almost no issue.


Yes, there are a lot of really great handhelds out there. Even though I absolutely love my Steam Deck, it has more power than I need most of the time. I would say at least 80% of my time is spent on emulation (NES - PS2 era) or playing Indy games. Neither are very demanding. Same goes for game streaming from the PS5... you can do that with virtually any handheld.
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Here is a good charity deal on a bundle of games for anyone interested: https://www.humblebundle.com/games/2k-megahits-2026-bundle
g1gg3m
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
These new games called Counter Strike and Day of Defeat (Source)!
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm playing Abiotic Factor on PS Plus. It's pretty awesome so far. It's a total ripoff, Half-Life clone (and I think they tell you that), but with crafting and quite a bit more to it. Really enjoying it.
State of Texas
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Picked up RDR II for $20 when it was on sale a few weeks back with no expectations and have been thoroughly impressed since I spend most of my time playing sports games. Put 30 hours in on CFB 27 and now I'm back to finish up the story for RDR.
StateofTexas
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I saw the username and was reading this post thinking I was hallucinating because I played RDR years ago.
Jinx
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Back to living on the rim in Rimworld. FFXIV and WoW still, otherwise.
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Jinx said:

Back to living on the rim in Rimworld. FFXIV and WoW still, otherwise.

Love idea of this game but it looks overwhelming.
State of Texas
How long do you want to ignore this user?
StateofTexas said:

I saw the username and was reading this post thinking I was hallucinating because I played RDR years ago.

You were!
Jimmy McNulty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Going to start horizon 1 soon
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Got bored with Abiotic Factor pretty quickly. Too much resource adn inventory management for me.

Downloaded the free 5 hour trial of Death Stranding 2 on PS Plus. Oh yes, I'm already hooked here. For anyone who hasn't played the first one or this one, it's just stunningly beautifully and well done.
zip04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
YouBet said:

Got bored with Abiotic Factor pretty quickly. Too much resource adn inventory management for me.

Downloaded the free 5 hour trial of Death Stranding 2 on PS Plus. Oh yes, I'm already hooked here. For anyone who hasn't played the first one or this one, it's just stunningly beautifully and well done.


I really enjoyed both DS and DS 2. The only issue I had with DS 2 was that it treated you like you never played DS, so it taught you all of the basics again. For that reason, if someone really hadn't played either, they could easily jump straight into DS 2 after watching a YouTube video to get caught up on the story from the original.
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
DS2 actually gives you a recap baked into the game now. It's on the start screen. Maybe that's new.
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.