Cord Cutting for Beginners

93,938 Views | 553 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Gomer95
zurcaled11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hulu Live TV does have a standard DVR functionality. Streaming works pretty well but I get some lag pretty frequently with 100mb down wired through my Xbox (and every other configuration I've tried). Hulu Live TV also has an expanded dvr add on and a reduced adds add on. Also comes with the whole Hulu library, which is pretty awesome.
cablinaggie
AG
agproducer said:

maverick2076 said:

Amazon Video has apps on the Xbox. I was more wondering about the other streaming services, such as YouTube TV or PSVue.
I don't believe Vue will work on Xbox. You can get Amazon Fire sticks for $40 each, or a Roku stick for $50.
I would spend the extra $50 and get the FireTV. PSVue runs so much smoother on it vs. the Fire Stick, especially flipping back and forth between the guide. The thing is, there are no "channel numbers" so you can't just type in "1602" for ESPN for example.

You can do "last channel" for a quick channel-change but that's it, unless there's something I'm missing. I'm hoping that one day the voice-enabled remote will work with PSVue to make this easier.
agproducer
AG
Has anyone made the switch after reading this thread? I'm curious what you think so far...
ntxVol
Just got off the phone with my 79yr old dad and he is cutting the cord. He lives in an older home that has one of those 40ft antenna towers and he went and bought a high dollar OTA antenna with a built in rotor. Because he lives in BFE. He already has an Amazon fire stick and another smart TV. I was laughing at him talking about how he has this all figured out. Guess we will see.
CoolaidWade
AG
I'm under contract until April of next year but think I may do a week trial this Saturday then cancel.

WIll be interesting to do a full Saturday of football with Hulu TV or similar.

I think I like Hulu TV the best but they don't have AMC.
maverick2076
My Uverse gets cut off on Friday, when my new internet gets installed. We will just have Amazon Prime and my Kodi for right now, while I try to figure out which service we need...if we even want one.
DeBoss
AG
So I want to cut the cord but the DVR function is a big deal. We record up to 10 shows a week and even record the entire season for some before watching.

Especially with DirecTV Now, what does the On-Demand feature look like and how far back can you go on current seasons? My wife still watches Grey's Anatomy and some other typical shows like that, so I'm trying to figure out if you can get to the whole season or just the last 1 or 2 episodes.

I'm leaning DirecTV now since I can get it cheap and still keep my unlimited AT&T Plan.
- If you are going to do something stupid, be smart about it.
ABKitch
AG
Ready to cut the cord any day now from Dish. I tried Sling TV and PS Vue for the free trial period and wound up liking Sling a little more. Doing the orange+blue package, the "DVR" service, and sports extra package and that adds up to $50 a month.

Local channels and DVR functionality were pretty important to us too, so I was able to set up a home network DVR using Plex. Would not say it's the easiest, and probably not for everyone, but being somewhat techy and having pretty much everything needed, hardware-wise, it was the best option for us, and I'm really impressed with it so far.

For anyone interested, I know there are a couple of dedicated Plex TV threads, but I used a mini HP computer (already had it for running Plex only), a Netgear NAS for storage (2TB of space, and already housed my Plex movie library), an amplified OTA antenna ($19 from Amazon), and had to buy a TV tuner device (Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD, about $69 from Amazon). Got all the wires hooked up and the OTA channels tuned, and setup was fairly easy in the Plex PMS menus.

Overall, it's pretty slick...I love the way that you can search for and schedule recordings, and once recorded, they show up under your "TV Shows" category in your Plex library. Quality seems great too...very clear picture and does not seem to be buffering/stalling out when recording. The tuner I bought allows you to watch/record two shows at once.

Performance-wise, it's not bad...I could probably benefit from a faster internet speed (40Mb currently), and probably a faster PC since the HP mini doesn't have the greatest hardware and only has 8MB of RAM.

The DVR functionality is not *quite* that of a traditional DVR box...for instance you can't hit "record" while watching in the middle of a show (have to pre-schedule recordings), and not so sure about the fast forward/rewind capabilities, since it's streaming on your home network and those are not quite as fast as someone with a normal DVR would be used to. But it allows us to watch local channels live, and set recordings for shows on those channels that we like, so it does the job.

The other (pretty major) limitation I realized after setting it up, is that only Android/Apple devices, and maybe a couple others support Plex TV/DVR currently. I tried to pull it up in the Plex app on my Samsung SmartTV and those options are just not there. Same for Roku... but I have no doubt this will be added to those versions of the app soon. Currently I'm using phones/tablets (both Android and Apple), as well as a Google Nexus Player, all which are supported for TV/DVR now.
ABKitch
AG
should have mentioned... the streaming services I tried (Sling TV and PS Vue) did not offer our local channels in our area (Denver), but if they had, that may have swayed my decision on one of those over the other. Sling has all the "cable" channels we wanted, and has NBC on demand, which was good enough.
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
So with Plex TV it's limited to just recordings of the major OTA networks, correct? I wouldn't be able to watch a live ESPN game or Game of Thrones, etc.
Pman17
AG
https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/27/15095464/comcast-xfinity-instant-tv-stream-abc-cbs-fox-nbc

Comcast is going to offer its own streaming service for its Internet Customers Only.
Basic $18 for basic channels you can get over the air.
+$30 for sports and news
+$10 for all of the kids channels
+$15 for your entertainment and reality tv channels
+$15 for HBO
+$12 for Starz

DVR included
nwspmp
OldShadeOfBlue said:

So with Plex TV it's limited to just recordings of the major OTA networks, correct? I wouldn't be able to watch a live ESPN game or Game of Thrones, etc.
Plex TV works with whatever channels the DTV tuner you have can receive. Typically, most have an OTA antenna connected to their receiver, so that would be only OTA channels.

Plex Live TV and DVR does work with the HDHR Prime, which is a CableCARD tuner, and will work with any non-encrypted channels sent out over cable network. Depending on your cable TV provider, this may be your locals only, all channels but premiums, or (as is now the case in the B/CS area) none.

So, YMMV on what channels are available. ESPN may be available through a CableCARD tuner, but I can almost guarantee you that HBO would not. Note, any of these scenarios would require active cable service in addition to the tuner, and setup. Basically, you'd be setting up an auto-recorder/roll-your-own-DVR to existing cable service.

Edit: Those things that you are looking for would most likely be available through a DTVNow, Sling, PSVue subscription. I know that the DTVNow has ESPN App login capability, allowing for live streaming of games via ESPN app, and know it has HBO Go login capability and I stream HBO directly through the DTVNow app.
nwspmp
DeBoss said:

So I want to cut the cord but the DVR function is a big deal. We record up to 10 shows a week and even record the entire season for some before watching.

Especially with DirecTV Now, what does the On-Demand feature look like and how far back can you go on current seasons? My wife still watches Grey's Anatomy and some other typical shows like that, so I'm trying to figure out if you can get to the whole season or just the last 1 or 2 episodes.

I'm leaning DirecTV now since I can get it cheap and still keep my unlimited AT&T Plan.
The On Demand availability varies per channel and what they've licensed to DTVNow. Some shows it's the whole season, some shows just the last episode.

I do the same thing; I record a number of shows, and with some (like Suits for example) I've recorded the entire season before starting to watch it. It's worked great with DTVNow!
ABKitch
AG
Yep what he said (thanks nwspmp). My guess is that most people use Plex TV/DVR the way I do, hooked up to an OTA antenna for viewing and recording live local channels, but it does also have the capability to record cable channels too (but requires some type of paid cable package) so that kinda defeats the purpose.

As far as HBO goes, you need HBO Now or GO, which will give you on demand access to their entire catalog of shows. ESPN can be found in pretty much any streaming package and the added sports channels that go with it may cost a little extra. DVR capability for those is limited by whatever the service offers.

So I THINK you were getting at the question of whether or not you could use Plex TV/DVR for recording local network shows as well as HBO and ESPN, and the short answer is probably not.
aggielax48
AG
Anybody wanting to try Directv Now, they run a free month promotion quite a bit. The current one is with the code RULESFREE9.

Another resource is channels within Plex. Most of the network shows are available the next day, so a psuedo DVR for network television (including CBS shows).
TX scallywAG
AG
agracer said:

Just to clarify on PSVue and their "DVR"...it's not a real DVR. You can watch shows later, but you cannot turn on a show in the middle and start from the beginning.

Case in point, I tried to DVR the Ark game b/c I knew I would miss part of the 1st half. I got home, fired up Vue, went to "my shows", clicked on the A&M/ARK game and it dumped me into the middle of the game. There is no way to watch from the beginning until it's over. And the problem with that is that the recording ends when the time slot on the guide ends. No way to extend time (and when has a football game ever ended on time?). You can't just record the next program as it will just show you THAT program, not what was actually broadcast at that time (hope that make sense)

You might be able to use Watch ESPN to see the whole game, but I don't know how quickly those are available. It might be the next day before you can watch the game.

The opposite is also true though. You could've turned on the game at halftime, hit record (add to my shows) & have access to the entire game vs from when you hit record. This is really nice.

The Vue "Add to my Shows" acts as a combo of:
- DVR: can FF/RW etc. Saves for 28 days
- On Demand: Pulls video on demand from respective channel site as far as I can tell (saves you from having to download apps for each network)
- Catching Up: Often includes episodes not on VOD and plays commercials

It's an awesome combo of a 28 day DVR + network VOD + extra catch up episodes all by pressing one button, listed by epsiode for that show. I actually like this all in one optio better than the traditional DVR & VOD so far.

For example, I "recorded" The Orville starting in the middle of episode 3. Click on that show after airing, all of E3 is listed as DVR (not half of it), E1 & E2 are automatically listed as VOD below. I didn't have to visit the Fox app or site. All in one place.
---
Class of '10 - A&M Undergrad & Master's Alum
Silvertaps
AG
I'm in the market for getting an HD Antenna to mount in my attic, but I've heard I'll need to be extra careful due to having a radiant barrier. Apparently it can block the signal quite a bit. Anyone have any experience with this? Any work around or specific antennas I should be focusing on?
CoolaidWade
AG
Have a month trial of DirecTV now.

So far have watched Texas/Iowa St. and last night watched USC/Wazzou. Today will be the big day. It's Saturday during football season so obviously I'm not working so I'll be able to watch football all day. I'm going to use nothing but DirectTV now.

Positives: Picture is great. No real difference from regular DirecTV.

Cons: Buffering. Not often but annoying. Guide format is impossible and navigating with a FireTV remote is awkward. No DVR.

No DVR will be the deal breaker for this one. All signs point that I will probably either go with HuluTV or YouTubeTV. Hulu doesn't have AMC and YouTube isn't compatible with FireTV and Roku. Hopefully by next April when my DirecTV contract is up one of those issues is resolved.

Edit: And I'm out. No cbs.
aTm2004
AG
Where are you located?
ArticPenguin:
I am a middle aged lesbian with two children. In Texas, the GOP would love to claim I am an unfit parent and take my children.

Response when pressed for proof:
I actually have 6 links, and was getting super pissed the more info I looked up...So, look it up yourself, I am not going to fight about something I know to be true, to a person who would just as soon see me in prison or dead.
https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/2948036/replies/51680255
TX scallywAG
AG
aTm2004 said:

Where are you located?

@Wade,
Why is PS Vue not on your list to try? 28 day DVR.

Also, CBS All Access have live feeds in many markets. Listed in OP. List of those markets:
https://hd-report.com/cbs-all-access-live-streaming-list-of-markets/
---
aTm2004
AG
Also, look at getting an antenna for the local channels. Many just mount on the pole your dish is currently on. Yeah, you lose DVR, but you can buy things to capture that with the savings you'll have.
ArticPenguin:
I am a middle aged lesbian with two children. In Texas, the GOP would love to claim I am an unfit parent and take my children.

I actually have 6 links, and was getting super pissed the more info I looked up...So, look it up yourself, I am not going to fight about something I know to be true, to a person who would just as soon see me in prison or dead.
CoolaidWade
AG
aTm2004 said:

Where are you located?
In San Antonio. No CBS so I wasn't able to watch the 2:30 SEC game of the week.

I haven't tried Vue mainly because I heard the picture quality wasn't as good as some of the others. And mainly because I wanted to see what all the hype was about so I just picked DirecTV now because there was a code for a month trial on this thread.

Overall my wife and I like it. Just no CBS and DVR. We have 50 Mbps GVTC fiber and it's spot on. No problems streaming. It does buffer for a second every now and then but not too often. Probably only once every couple of hours.

I think I'll try them all beginning of next year so we can pick one when our two year contract is up next April. Honestly I hope Youtube TV will have more streaming options then the Chromecast by then.

I'm going to turn my DirectTV dish into a OTA antenna. I'm pretty sure legally they can't make me climb up there and take that dish down so unless they send someone on their dime that dish is mine.

Forum Troll
AG
I see DVR being some big functionality thing still, but I guess I just don't understand considering the amount of on-demand content and network apps available out there.
aTm2004
AG
Quote:

I haven't tried Vue mainly because I heard the picture quality wasn't as good as some of the others. And mainly because I wanted to see what all the hype was about so I just picked DirecTV now because there was a code for a month trial on this thread.
I was with DTV for almost 10 years, and IMO, picture quality via PS Vue is better than DTV. I have 200 mbps internet and get the occasional buffer, but it's not often enough for me to decide to go back to cable/satellite and pay twice as much.

I'm in Houston, so I luckily get all locals, but have an antenna ready just in case. DTV didn't make me return my dish, but DISH may be different.
ArticPenguin:

aTm2004
AG
Probably for sports. But streaming is still in its infancy. Imagine a year or two from now where it will be.
ArticPenguin:

Forum Troll
AG
aTm2004 said:

Probably for sports. But streaming is still in its infancy. Imagine a year or two from now where it will be.
I figured this was the case. Personally have a hard time watchign a tape-delayed game. Just too easy to catch to score on news/internet or be spoiled if trying to avoid it.
CoolaidWade
AG
Forum Troll said:

aTm2004 said:

I figured this was the case. Personally have a hard time watchign a tape-delayed game. Just too easy to catch to score on news/internet or be spoiled if trying to avoid it.
I'm the exact opposite....

It seems like every time The Aggies play at night I'm late to get to the TV. Mainly because my wife only has the weekends off so Saturday night we usually go out to eat... Something fun for her since she works all week.

So I'm always on a media/phone black out until we get home and I start the game from the beginning and catch up to real time sometime around the second half.

I NEED basic DVR functionality just for that reason. Plus The Walking Dead and Game of Thrones are the only series left that I'm watching in real time. So need a DVR for that until those shows are done with. That in itself is crazy.... I have totally adapted to On Demand for watching all my other shows. Actually with any HBO streaming service you have access to it On Demand so I'll only need it for Walking Dead.
agproducer
AG
CoolaidWade said:

aTm2004 said:

Where are you located?
In San Antonio. No CBS so I wasn't able to watch the 2:30 SEC game of the week.

I'm going to turn my DirectTV dish into a OTA antenna. I'm pretty sure legally they can't make me climb up there and take that dish down so unless they send someone on their dime that dish is mine.

You are right -- the dish is yours. They don't want that equipment back. I mounted my antenna on the dish and used the pre-existing wiring. It works just fine.

As for Vue and CBS -- you are in San Antonio and KENS is your CBS affiliate. It's owned by Tegna. Tegna owns KHOU in Houston and worked out a deal with Vue there. I wouldn't be surprised if a deal in SA is in the works.
TX scallywAG
AG
I just went to Vue site & changed my location to San Antonio. Saw KENS CBS listed for your market.

Don't assume DTV Now & PS Vue will have the same locals. Sounds like with Vue you fix both your pain points: CBS & DVR

I know when you check locals in BCS for example, it says ABC on demand, Fox on demand, KBTX. Due to that, looks like CBS KENS is live. Try the free Vue trial & report back.
---
bobinator
AG
I'm giving DirecTV Now a free trial before we cancel our regular DirecTV next week.
ecoag80
AG
I'll piggy back on this thread,; I need help...I want to cut the cord, so we added an antenna w booster in the attic for local channels..works great. We had Apple TV beforehand, primarily for ag and sec sporting events.

I signed up for psvue service but cannot get psvue to show up on the appletv. Vue works on the ipad but I do not know what to do to get it streaming on my tv.... Google has not been my friend...I am not tech savvy and quite frankly lost at this point.

Signed up for HULU on their free 30 day trial and it seems fine. There was an existing HULU icon on the existing Apple TV "page".

Is there supposed to be an icon on Apple TV for psvue once added? Is there a setting somewhere I am missing?

What's my next move?

aTm2004
AG
You will need to get the PSVue app. How old is your Apple TV? We couldn't find a way to add it to my dad's, which is the first generation.
bobinator
AG
Anyone in BCS have Vue? One thing the fiancee and I like is recording jeopardy, is that something I can do on Vue?
ecoag80
AG
aTm2004 said:

You will need to get the PSVue app. How old is your Apple TV? We couldn't find a way to add it to my dad's, which is the first generation.

I have the app on my ipad...no luck on the appletv...do I need to have a newer appletv? Or go to a different type of device like roku?
aTm2004
AG
If you can't get the app on your Apple TV, you may need to get a newer one or similar device. I use Fire TV.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.