Cord Cutting for Beginners

90,506 Views | 553 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Gomer95
meek
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Checked the Roku site for specs you are correct.
The premier + shows: 802.11 (b/g/n compatible) with WEP, WPA, and WPA2 support
The stick + shows: 802.11ac MIMO dual-band wireless

Pman17
AG
AT&T TV Now Price Hike Alert!

Grandfathered $35/mo Go Big Plans
Currently $50
November 2019......$60

Check your payment history.

There was a mass "billing error."
BMo
Still with Dish for another year. Got two TVs set up to stream and called Dish to cancel and they cut my bill more than 1/2 which made it the same as streaming. I also have the ability to stream free stuff after my YT TV subscription is up this month. Was still in the trial period for Philo.
Aggie Pharmer
AG
Just cancelled DTV too and am trying out YTTV on ROKU for the next couple of weeks. So far, it's pretty refreshing!
JSKolache
AG
Same. Signed up for 2 week trial of YTTV. ATTNow can blow it.
JSKolache
AG
Same. Signed up for 2 week trial of YTTV. ATTNow can blow it.
aTm2004
AG
Canceled PSVue today and doing 2 week trial with YTTV. Will get Frndly for the wife as well. Works out to be about the same. Dad has had Hulu live for a while and already know how it works.
12thMan86
AG
Cut the cord last week (Spectrum Austin) and went with YOUTUBE Tv. Love it but having buffering issues, especially on back porch (furthest tv Away, maybe 70 ft). Have 1 smart tv which seems to have very FEW buffering issues, but the rest are on fire sticks. 200mbps (allegedly). Ran speed test with 3rd party, came in at 20bps.

Called tech at Spectrum. Ran their speed test and came in at 50mbps 15 ft from router. 80 for my one computer on cat6. He said if Netflix works ok, YT TV should also. Netflix DOES NOT HAVE BUFFERING issues.

What do I need to do? Change providers? Spend more on 400mbps ? ( would change bill from $70 to $90)get a range extender? Seems to be more of a YouTube tv issue. Do they have tech support?

Thanks in advance.
WoMD
I don't know how the YTTV app compares, but the directv (at&t) now app didn't work smoothly when speed was under 20, even when Netflix and amazon worked perfectly. Most of the time it was fine, but there would be frustrating times when it would buffer randomly, which seemed to be when my network was overwhelmed during afternoon slowdowns. Once I got the network sorted out (switching to mesh network with better router to solidify signal strength in my entire flat) it's been rock solid. Maybe these apps are more resource intensive than Netflix.

If it were me in your position I'd increase internet speed and incorporate a mesh system, which would likely resolve all issues. If you're supposed to be getting 200mbps, then start with a good mesh system to kill all dead zones first before increasing to 400. 200 should be more than enough. And make sure your WiFi network is 5Ghz. My 2.4Ghz network got hammered by evening throttling and would drop from 100+mbps to less than 5 in the evenings. Upgrading to 5Ghz did wonders.
Dad
AG
I canceled DirecTV last month. I was actually calling to say I was canceling and then get a great deal from them and instead they called my bluff and offered me only a $10 discount so I went through with it.

It was kind of weird like they don't care anymore about keeping customers.

I still pay for live tv through Hulu but noticed my wife and kids never watch anything live anymore.

The only thing I ever watch live is college football, NFL, and NBA playoffs, but I'm not giving up watching sports to save a few bucks. I am hoping to figure out how to watch those things without spending so much.
AustinAg2K
I switched to YTTV back in September, and it has been working great. I don't know that I'd really call that cord cutting, though, but rather just switching providers. I think after the football season I will cancel YTTV, as it's the only thing anyone watches live in my family. I think we can get everything else on Hulu the next day.
aTm2004
AG
I switched to YTTV a couple of weeks ago and I've only noticed the buffering issues during football games. No other shows/sports has it. I have noticed that it happens more when I channel surf between games vs just letting it be.
Dad
AG
AustinAg2K said:

I switched to YTTV back in September, and it has been working great. I don't know that I'd really call that cord cutting, though, but rather just switching providers. I think after the football season I will cancel YTTV, as it's the only thing anyone watches live in my family. I think we can get everything else on Hulu the next day.

I am thinking of doing the same thing after the super bowl.
Kyle Field Shade Chaser
AG
All my PS VUE users, what service are you switching to when PS VUE shuts down in January?

I'm thinking you tube tv, but I was very happy with the VUE.
aTm2004
AG
Switched to YTTV and really like it.
Brock Sampson
AG
Looks like I'll be on YouTube as well. Sucks because Vue was awesome
12thMan86
AG
WoMD said:

I don't know how the YTTV app compares, but the directv (at&t) now app didn't work smoothly when speed was under 20, even when Netflix and amazon worked perfectly. Most of the time it was fine, but there would be frustrating times when it would buffer randomly, which seemed to be when my network was overwhelmed during afternoon slowdowns. Once I got the network sorted out (switching to mesh network with better router to solidify signal strength in my entire flat) it's been rock solid. Maybe these apps are more resource intensive than Netflix.

If it were me in your position I'd increase internet speed and incorporate a mesh system, which would likely resolve all issues. If you're supposed to be getting 200mbps, then start with a good mesh system to kill all dead zones first before increasing to 400. 200 should be more than enough. And make sure your WiFi network is 5Ghz. My 2.4Ghz network got hammered by evening throttling and would drop from 100+mbps to less than 5 in the evenings. Upgrading to 5Ghz did wonders.
Thanks. I had spectrum bring out the newest router and issue was solved.
agdad4x
bumped so I can find this again -
Redstone
AG
Which poster cut the cable cord first for full-time streaming? We were early (second quarter of 2014) but unfortunately I don't believe that is the earliest here.
Mark Fairchild
AG
12thMan86: Your question on Spectrum. Was having big time internet problems with Spectrum. They sent Tech out that found my problem, he was VERY trough! In visiting with him about speed he ask why I did not got to their Premium of 400 mbs, said I did not know they had one. Also, had recently switched to the NetGear Orbi RB20 with two satellites. Call Spectrum and dropped my stinkin', worthless phone service and upgraded to the 400 mbps, and WOW! They did tell the truth, SpeedTest shows from 350 to 425 mbps every time I test. Bill also went DOWN. From where I sit, the upgrade is worth it!! With the Orbi I have incredible WiFi everywhere, run a CyberQ Cloud on Green Egg in backyard through wall and 60 feet from satellite and have great connection, Roku works perfectly. In short I was very pleased.

Am VERY interested that Dish, what I have, cut a guys bill by HALF just because he said he would switch. Gotta test the YTTV and see how that goes.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
duck79
AG
Newbie here that is finally making the plunge. I have been on DTV for years(I was paying $90 for the last year for TV plus internet) but after lying to me 2 months in a row about my bill, I'm out.

We are tv junkies, we like to sit down and watch our shows after putting kids to bed and I also love my sports channels. We have a 9 and 6 yr old and my 9 yr old son loves Star Wars.

Would Hulu Live with the refund on Disney plus be the best option for us to try? I hear quite a few ppl try YTTV but how much is the Disney plus add on?
aTm2004
AG
From my understanding, the Hulu/Disney package is for Hulu and not Live. Disney+ is a stand alone subscription that you'll have to get with any streaming TV service. YTTV and Disney will run you $60/mo.
duck79
AG
Ok thank you. I thought I read that if you get Hulu Live and Disney plus then the Disney plus portion is refunded on your bill. I'm glad I asked.
aTm2004
AG
I'm not 100% certain, so check it out. FWIW, my dad just cancelled Hulu Live for YTTV because the increased his bill to $60/mo, which is more expensive than what YTTV is and they don't charge for extras. Add in Disney+ and it may be about even.
nwspmp
It is. Basically if you already have Hulu before signing up for D+ and use the same email address, then your bill is then adjusted by 7.99$(?) down. I'd have to go check my email though. I have Hulu live without ads and D+
RAT90
AG
With an existing Hulu account and adding D+, Hulu will still charge you for whatever level of Hulu you have and Disney will charge you a discounted bundle price (full bundle price minus Hulu with no ads price).
Mr President Elect
AG
One thing I haven't seen mentioned on here:
On YTTV you can set it up as a family account (no extra charge) and share it with other gmail accounts.
law80
AG
If you don't mind me asking, what do you pay for that? We have Hulu Live but we're thinking about dropping down to Hulu and then adding D+ since we really don't watch much live tv.
RAT90
AG
Hulu no ads $12

D+ $13 - $6 (Hulu basic) = $7

Total is about $21 with tax
Gomer95
AG
We had PS vue and I changed to YouTube Tv and it's ok but does anyone like Hulu Live better? I'm thinking no because I like Walking Dead and Hulu doesn't get AMC, correct?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.