Cord Cutting for Beginners

90,710 Views | 553 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Gomer95
Ezra Brooks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
aTm2004 said:

Can you not set up profiles?
My understanding is that you set up the filter for the device - so I've got to toggle it on for any tv that the kids use.

I'm unsure if that would be different by setting up profiles, my Googling hasn't led me to that.
Cassius
I do it through Prime because it's easy to enable and disable when I want.

ATT is launching HBO Max next year. I expect the cost of HBO to go up pretty good if you are not using ATTs streaming service to get it. They may pull a Disney and pull HBO content altogether.

The content providers are streaming and the streamers are providing content. I'm not sure we end up in a good place.
Leander - Ag
AG
What are best options to get NFL network (and stream NFL games) if you have YouTube tv?

These blackouts are my only complaint with YTTV.
Rex Racer
AG
Leander - Ag said:

What are best options to get NFL network (and stream NFL games) if you have YouTube tv?

These blackouts are my only complaint with YTTV.
Amazon Prime and Fox will air the Thursday night games, as well (some of them, at least).
Canyon99
I've not been able to view some preseason NFL games over the past couple of weeks on YTTV. What the hell? I get San Antonio locals.
Rex Racer
AG
Canyon99 said:

I've not been able to view some preseason NFL games over the past couple of weeks on YTTV. What the hell? I get San Antonio locals.
Having the same issue tonight with the Cowboys vs. Rams game.
thirty-two
AG
Rex Racer said:

Canyon99 said:

It's some kind of old contractual thing. Regular season games will be unaffected.
Canyon99
Thanks for the heads up.
Decay
AG
I got a Clearstream TV and paired it with my Plex subscription and now I have HD-quality OTA and DVR. Only problem is that I can't put the Clearstream itself in the attic. That little guy runs freaking hot! I'll have to make a Coax run from the attic to an Air-Conditioned place where I can put the clearstream.
TMoney2007
AG
thirty-two said:

Rex Racer said:

Canyon99 said:

It's some kind of old contractual thing. Regular season games will be unaffected.
Preseason games are handled by the teams, not the regular NFL tv package.
aTm2004
AG
Just wanted to point out that FireTV now shows as an option for YTTV, but does have an asterisk stating it's coming. I'd say it's coming soon if they're putting it on there. Once it does, I may test making a switch from PSVue as my package is now $60, but they did add BeIn sports so I can watch MotoGP and World Superbike, so not sure if I want to give that up...
Sazerac
AG
cclearman said:

@ $50 for YTTN I'd rather just have Xfinity channels (as would the wife).

Looks like I'm probably buying 3 Rokus (or downloading the app on TVs that can) and selling Amazon FireTV/FireSticks so I can ditch the Xfinity cable boxes rental.

I went ahead with this. Have 3 Rokus streaming xfinity (so I don't need their rented boxes) plus still access to Prime, Netflix, etc.
EvenPar
AG
Apple TV streaming is rumored at $10/month when it debuts this fall
BmtAg96
AG
Does YTTV offer 5.1 digital surround sound?
taxpreparer
AG
PSVUE receny had an update that is not playing well with Roku boxes. I am hoping they get it fixed soon.
***It's your money, not theIRS! (At least for a little while longer.)
Cassius
taxpreparer said:

PSVUE receny had an update that is not playing well with Roku boxes. I am hoping they get it fixed soon.

Welcome to new TV....

where software bugs and compatibility make it a living hell.
aTm2004
AG
Cassius said:

taxpreparer said:

Welcome to new TV....

where software bugs and compatibility make it a living hell.
Please. DTV has been having chitty boxes for years. At least with streaming, you aren't paying a fee each month for the pleasure of having a box that takes 2 minutes for the guide to come up.
jaboonday
AG
If Xfinity is ready to open up their app to Apple TV, we would jump back in a heartbeat. All the "cable replacement" streaming services are basically charging the same as Xfinity would with similar channels. "AT&T Now" is basically finding ways to cut back on their channels and raise prices at the same time, which are exactly the opposite reasons we signed up with them in the first place.

I wonder what clever strategy AT&T is brewing up to get people off their older plans. They did a masterful job of getting people off their old unlimited data plans by offering AT&T Next pricing on new devices as bait. I can't wait to see what ploy they're dreaming up now.

Pay more, get less! It's the AT&T mantra!
heddleston
AG
I know lots of people ask about trying to catch games while abroad; I live in Ethiopia and use espnplayer.com . It's usable for Europe, Africa, Middle East, and some East Asian countries. I basically get every college football/basketball game thats on a disney owned network, 30 for 30s, espnU, SECN, ACCN, and lhn. its 14 bucks a month and works great even on my limited internet connection.
Ezra Brooks
AG
This is my first football season using YouTube TV and I'm finding that it puts a bind in my ability to watch multiple games at once.

With traditional cable/satellite, the remote had a back/previous button that would usually toggle through 2 (or sometimes 3 depending on the service) previously viewed channels. Additionally, knowing the channel numbers allowed for rather quick navigation as well.

I haven't yet uncovered any tricks for speedier navigation between game feeds and buffering/loading time.

Anyone cracked this?
OasisMan
AG
Ezra Brooks said:

This is my first football season using YouTube TV and I'm finding that it puts a bind in my ability to watch multiple games at once.

With traditional cable/satellite, the remote had a back/previous button that would usually toggle through 2 (or sometimes 3 depending on the service) previously viewed channels. Additionally, knowing the channel numbers allowed for rather quick navigation as well.

I haven't yet uncovered any tricks for speedier navigation between game feeds and buffering/loading time.

Anyone cracked this?
on apple tv or roku, scroll down, then down again, and there will be the most recent ~5 channels you had visited
Gomer95
AG
Probably a dumb question but I have a question about the Roku stick remote. When I'm watching something and then scroll through the guide, is there a way to immediately return to what I was watching without just scrolling back to the channel I'm on and selecting it? The back button just takes me up to different menu selections. Is there a way to do that or a cancel button?
OasisMan
AG
if you are scrolling through the menu,
if you press back, it will take you to the top, then if you go up it will take you to the channel you are on
Gomer95
AG
Ah thanks!
fig96
AG
You can also do multiview in the ESPN app to watch more than one game.

EDIT: meant to respond to the other post
Cassius
Pretty cool. Thanks for the tip.
montyBag
BMo
Anyone using a universal remote with Roku? There are video on doing it with Logitech Harmony remotes but wondered about real world experience.

Plan to go YYTV and Philo with the only two channels missing that we would like to have would be PBS and RFDTV. We are olds as the youngs like to call us.

Last question. I went online and customized my YTTV guide but it doesn't translate to my TV. Anyone know a solution.

BTW, thanks for this thread.
jay040
PBS coming to YouTubeTV (at least in some regions) on Nov 4th - https://thestreamable.com/news/youtube-tv-targeting-a-november-4th-launch-for-pbs-but-could-get-pushed-back
BMo
Quote:

Anyone using a universal remote with Roku? There are video on doing it with Logitech Harmony remotes but wondered about real world experience.

Yes, you can. I have a Harmony 650 and going to have to tweek some of the commands for youtube tv. I'm going to see if some of the newer Harmonies have youtube. I've had this remote for several years and it's been great, very intuit and easily customizable.

Quote:

Last question. I went online and customized my YTTV guide but it doesn't translate to my TV. Anyone know a solution.
I was able to reach out to youtube this morning and they have acknowledged receiving my question and will try to get back within a day.

Quote:

PBS coming to YouTubeTV (at least in some regions) on Nov 4th - https://thestreamable.com/news/youtube-tv-targeting-a-november-4th-launch-for-pbs-but-could-get-pushed-back
Thanks for the info, appreciated. Likely will eventually add a digital antenna to the house.
Decay
AG
Anyone notice SlingTV is being supported by fewer services? My kid's obsessed with the (probably soon-to-die) Disney streaming app but now I can't use it with my Sling login. Same with HGTV Go.

I still see Youtube TV as a login pretty much everywhere. I'm wondering if that's my sign to switch over next month. Luckily, it's as simple as that nowadays.
1997Aggie
AG
Thinking about cutting the cord finally...a couple of quick questions

1) Fubo is the only one that currently offers ATT Sportsnet for Astros games?

2) We watch a lot of Aggie baseball and basketball on SEC Network +. If your package has SEC network, does this also mean you get access to SECN+ on the ESPN app (specifically looking at Fubo and Hulu).

3) Same question for the ESPN app - do you get access to all ESPN content if your provider has the ESPN channels in lineup

khkman22
AG
I just want to double check that I am correct. I bought a 2019 version of the Roku Premiere + a few months ago. I just connected it to my 2.4 GHz wireless network because that's what I normally use to get full coverage in the house. I tried switching to the 5 GHz network last night since it sits right below the router and signal strength shouldn't be an issue. However, it never showed that network as an option. So is it true that the new Premiere + doesn't have a 5 GHz band capability? The Streaming Stick + does, so it seems strange to me they would have left the option off the Premiere +.
BMo
My Roku is connected straight to my TV so it is not the best at using my receiver for sound. My Dish receiver goes to the audio receiver then to the TV. Can the same be done with the Roku?

Edit to say: It can be done. I finally found an article on it at the Roku site.
DeangeloVickers
AG
I just cancelled DirecTV

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.