Cord Cutting for Beginners

91,049 Views | 553 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Gomer95
Decay
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I was hoping to save a few bucks by cutting the cord. I ended up going from $200/month to $120, while also upping my internet from 75/75 to 500/500Mbps. Didn't even know they carried that in our area... Not bad.
thirty-two
AG
For YouTube TV...

For those of us with TVs that can't add the App directly (I have an older LG and a Sony)... is our best option for YouTube TV via a Roku? I'm thinking one Roku express on each TV?

Will Spectrum 200 Mbps be sufficient to handle YouTube TV?

I am currently paying $84/month for AT&T 45Mbps internet, and $127/month for UVerse U200. Seems like I can cut this bill in half with Spectrum internet and YouTube TV.
aTm2004
AG
thirty-two said:

For YouTube TV...

For those of us with TVs that can't add the App directly (I have an older LG and a Sony)... is our best option for YouTube TV via a Roku? I'm thinking one Roku express on each TV?
If you go the Roku route, I'd get the Streaming Stick+ at the very least due to 4K ability. For your primary TV, I'd splurge for the Ultra...splurge a little so you're not bogged down or have it take 3 seconds to move when you go to a different app. If you're already in the Apple ecosystem, an Apple TV would also be an option. We use Fire TV but they don't support YTTV yet, though they say it's coming.

Quote:

I am currently paying $84/month for AT&T 45Mbps internet, and $127/month for UVerse U200. Seems like I can cut this bill in half with Spectrum internet and YouTube TV.
200 would more than handle YTTV. You may want to check to make sure you're not data capped.
Al Bula
AG
Anyone know if AT&T SportsNet is anywhere close to inking a streaming deal with a provider other than fubo?
Worlds Foremost Ag
AG
Finally had enough of DirectTV Now after losing both Fox and CBS from the channel list. Switched to YTTV. Now I just need to address my $85/mo internet bill! Never ending battle....
Shelton98
AG
thirty-two said:

For YouTube TV...

Wouldn't recommend Roku Express. You want one that has volume and can turn the TV on/off.
thirty-two
AG
Worlds Foremost Ag said:

Finally had enough of DirectTV Now after losing both Fox and CBS from the channel list. Switched to YTTV. Now I just need to address my $85/mo internet bill! Never ending battle....
Same for me. My AT&T internet is $87/mo. I think I will switch to Spectrum for $50/mo.
Decay
AG
Shelton98 said:

thirty-two said:

For YouTube TV...

Wouldn't recommend Roku Express. You want one that has volume and can turn the TV on/off.

Agreed. We went with Roku Express just to get in at entry level price. It's fne for everything we use (we don't have 4k TV) except we're still juggling two remotes for each tv.
Gomer95
AG
I have a newbie question. I currently have U-Verse but I'm going to try PS Vue and if I like it, cancel U-verse. I will watch PS Vue through my PS4 in one location, a PS3 in the other location, and then for the TV on the back porch I guess I need to get a Roku Stick?

My newbie question is which is better for my small back porch TV, a Roku stick or an Amazon Fire stick? I have Amazon Prime so will that work on a Roku Stick as well? And if it's Roku, should I get Roku or Roku Express? What's the difference? Thanks!

***UPDATE*** Well Google does wonders lol. I answered my own question. I think I need a Roku Streaming + and it will take care of all my needs. BUT if anyone wants to expand on what their preference is, that would be great.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
So will YouTube TV run on a PS3/4?
Rex Racer
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

No. Because Sony wants you using PS Vue.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Rex Racer said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

No. Because Sony wants you using PS Vue.
Thanks. I figured that was the case when I saw that the PS was not on the list.

Already did Vue for a while. Didn't like the menu control.
Gomer95
AG
FYI I just started using PS Vue and it seems petty cool. The only thing is it runs seamlessly on my PS4 but on the PS3 I still had it lagged WAY too much so we used a Roku stick for that tv and it ran great. After reading online, it sounds like a lot of folks have issues using it with a PS3. I guess it's just an older machine that can't use it as well. Good thing to know. But the Roku stick and PS4 worked great.
thirty-two
AG
I just ditched UVerse completely. Switched to Spectrum for internet. Getting twice the speed for $25 less. Also went YouTube TV. Love it so far. Saving $50 / mo. there. Running both TVs on Roku Streaming stick.

My only gripe is the Roku steaming sticks don't use IR, so I can no longer use my Logitech Harmony remote as a single control for everything.
Gomer95
AG
We are ditching U-verse for PS Vue and I want to get HBO. How do you guys get HBO? Through PS Vue, Amazon Prime, HBO Now or HBO GO app? I have Vue and Amazon Prime but I'm kind of thinking a HBO app but I also hear there is a new HBO streaming service on the way? What's the best method of streaming HBO?
fig96
AG
HBO Go through the HBO Go app, though we actually signed up through Hulu as we got a promo for like 5 bucks per month for like 3 months (not sure if they still have that).

Only slightly annoying part was that I had to set up the account through HBO to be able to use the app, but that was just an initial 10 minute thing.

The upcoming streaming service is a whole separate thing from HBO and is I think still a ways off.
aTm2004
AG
If you have AT&T for your phone service, check their plans to see if you can get HBO Go included in that. We have it because they had a phone plan that had it included, and we were able to drop our bill while keeping everything else pretty much the same.
joerobert_pete06
AG
Regarding smart TVs, which TV is the best for connecting to DLNA devices on home networks?
Caesar4
AG
Gomer95 said:

We are ditching U-verse for PS Vue and I want to get HBO. How do you guys get HBO? Through PS Vue, Amazon Prime, HBO Now or HBO GO app? I have Vue and Amazon Prime but I'm kind of thinking a HBO app but I also hear there is a new HBO streaming service on the way? What's the best method of streaming HBO?
We do HBO on the Roku through the Roku Channel app.
Caesar4
AG
Just thought I'd mention this interesting tidbit....I was scrolling through my YouTubeTV recordings and saw that I still have the 5.5 hour A&M/LSU 2018 game.

That surprised me because I kind of expected that YouTubeTV would have replaced the cloud recording with a shorter/condensed one. Guess it's going to be a late night for me now that I started a replay of it.
nwspmp
https://www.engadget.com/2019/08/06/disney-espn-hulu-bundle/?utm_medium=newsletter&utm_source=morningafter

Disney+ streaming package + ESPN+ + Hulu for $12.99/month.

I'm paying $11.99/month right now for Hulu (on-demand only, with "limited" ads)

That and Philo and I might be dropping my DirecTV Now!
fig96
AG
We pay like 11 bucks now for Hulu and ESPN+ so this is a no brainer.

Not that I wasn't going to get the Disney package anyway, but I appreciate the deal.
TMoney2007
AG
I'm getting hulu free with spotify at the moment. I'm undecided if I'm going to get disney+ sometimes.

I'm adding YTTV for football season.
jay040
I don't think ESPN+ will get you what you think it does - it really doesn't offer much. Not content that you get on ESPN, ESPN 2, ESPNEWS, or ESPNU.
nwspmp
jay040 said:

I don't think ESPN+ will get you what you think it does - it really doesn't offer much. Not content that you get on ESPN, ESPN 2, ESPNEWS, or ESPNU.
TBH, I really don't watch much ESPN live at all. My sport content has been mostly MLB, of which I get whatever I need via MLB.tv (through T-Mobile free). Pretty much has only been for the occasional times when I've been able to watch football live, so for me it's probably fine.

With a kid, the Disney is a good add (though I've had all of the disney movies from 2008 and earlier on my Plex system) and we've already got Hulu.
Sazerac
AG
I was surprised YTTV
1. Isn't available on Fire devices yet
2. Is now $50.

With that I just signed up for a new contract with Xfinity for internet and TV.
boy09
AG
cclearman said:

I was surprised YTTV
Amazon and Google have trouble playing nicely...
Sazerac
AG
I also just found out that Comcast doesn't support their Xfinity streaming app on Amazon FireStick/TV. Will have to switch everything to Roku to use this feature.

It can't ever be simple can it??
Jethro95
AG
Seems like you should try out YTTV on the Roku now. Are you already locked into the contract with Comcast?
Sazerac
AG
@ $50 for YTTN I'd rather just have Xfinity channels (as would the wife).

Looks like I'm probably buying 3 Rokus (or downloading the app on TVs that can) and selling Amazon FireTV/FireSticks so I can ditch the Xfinity cable boxes rental.
CFTXAG10
AG
cclearman said:

I was surprised YTTV
2. Is now $50.

I think I read somewhere that Amazon is going to have YTTV available on its devices sometime this fall
TMoney2007
AG
cclearman said:

I was surprised YTTV
2. Is now $50.

I don't like the contract part of it. I'm going to sign up for YTTV for football season and then drop it in the off season. I have plenty to watch between netflix, amazon prime and my plex server in the off season.
Ezra Brooks
AG
Anyone have any guidance on the best way to handle Parental Controls?

I'm in the free-trial phase with YouTube TV right now and not terribly satisfied with their filter option - you can filter out anything PG-13 and above, but doing so makes a lot of regular programming "Unavailable Content"...news, sports, etc.

aTm2004
AG
Can you not set up profiles?
fig96
AG
Yeah, not sure how YTTV works but PSVue lets you set up different users to select from when you open the app.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.