Cord Cutting for Beginners

90,580 Views | 553 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Gomer95
agproducer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We have cord cutting threads all the time, and maybe its time to put the information in one place. I've learned a lot about it through research, and honestly, I'm pretty passionate about trying to save others money. I felt like I was throwing cash away each month, and by making the switch, I'm saving $1000 a year.

Setup

Streaming Sticks
Each TV in your house needs a streaming device (Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV or stick, Chromecast, etc.) to get the internet streams. Most plug right into your TV's HDMI ports. If you have a smart TV, you can download apps straight to your TV. From what I've read, Samsung Smart TVs may have issues downloading some of the streaming services due to Samsung's proprietary Smart TV builds. In that case, to access an app like PSVue, you'll need a streaming device for your Samsung TV.

Internet
I've read 25 mb down is enough, but I went with 100 down -- since we stream on several devices at once. I found a deal with xfinity that locked me into a $50 rate. Now, you can buy your own modem with wifi and hook it up to the xfinity network. That way, you will avoid the company's modem rental fee each month. It will cost you about $200 up front for a good one (I have a Netgear Nighthawk), but you will make that money back in about two years.

OTA TV
You want your local channels? Invest in an antenna. The website, tvfool.com, will let you know the specific antenna range you need. You can put an exterior antenna on your house or in the attic and and wire it to your TVs, or get individual antennas for each TV (more expensive). I put an exterior antenna outside my home. I used to have DirecTV, and the dish was accessible. So, I popped off the cone from the dish, strapped the antenna to the dish and used the pre-existing wiring to my TVs. I followed the process I found here: Turn your satellite dish into HD Antenna

Streaming Services

To get the shows you want, you'll want to pick a streaming service app. A subscription will also help you log into other apps like Disney, etc. Here are the options:

PSVue
Options as low as $40/month. 28 day cloud DVR -- can be hinky but is improving. Lots of sports options. You aren't missing any Aggie football with this app (all the ESPNs, except ESPN3 but you'll have credentials for it. SEC Network is included. You can also get your local channels in several markets. There used to be no channel guide on Roku, just tiles. But, the channel guide is now available on Roku.

For sports, you cannot DVR a game, jump in say at halftime and start from the beginning and fast forward through commercails until you catch up. Also, there is no way to extend the end time to catch the end of the game. (Full disclosure -- I use Vue).

SlingTV
This is one of the cheapest options, but to me the channel setup is weird. It costs as little as $20-$25/month. There is limited DVR available for live channels. Most of the live channels do not have DVR functionality. (thanks hatchback)

DirecTVNow
Lots of channel options here, but it seems to be a little pricier. People who got in on the ground floor were grandfathered in at $35/month. But, there's no DVR service -- though DirecTV says it is working on it. You can get a $25 credit if you have AT&T unlimited mobile plan. (thanks candyland02) Also, the service runs month-long free trials with a code (from aggielax48). This month's code as of 9/28 is RULESFREE9.

YouTubeTV (***Updated 2/2/18***)
Available in dozens of cities now. All the local channels are available along with ESPN/SEC Network, but the overall offering is slimmer. It's one of the least expensive and has DVR service. There is a YouTube TV app to download to your streaming device. You can stream it from your phone to TV on Chromecast, and the service offers a free Chromecast after you pay for the first month.

Hulu Live (from zurcaled11)
Provides live TV and does have a standard DVR functionality. It also has an expanded DVR add- on and a reduced ads add-on. The channel lineup is not as robust as other options, but it has the entire Hulu back library of shows.

You can read and compare more on the services here (***Updated 2/2/18***)
https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/playstation-vue-vs-sling-tv-vs-directv-now-vs-youtube-tv-vs-hulu-with-live-tv/

Netflix -- we all know about that.

Amazon Prime -- lots of free video and content with your Prime membership

XFinity Instant -- (info from Pman17)
Comcast is offering its own pseudo streaming service to its internet customers only. It's basic service is $18 for channels you can get over the air. Then, you can play add-on for extra cash: +$30 for sports and news,
+$10 for all of the kids channels, +$15 for your entertainment and reality TV channels and then additional for the premium ones. DVR is included. It's pitched basically as a skinny bundle -- not a direct competitor to PSVue, DirecTVNow or others mentioned above. Read more here: https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/27/15095464/comcast-xfinity-instant-tv-stream-abc-cbs-fox-nbc

Other Apps (from Aggie MHA)
These channels don't appear to be on the streaming services. So, if you want them, you'll have to get them individually.

CW App: -- Free, shows posted after airing
PBS App -- Free, shows posted after airing
PBS Kids App -- Free, cartoons posted
Hallmark -- Starting stand alone app October 1 (make those wives happy with Christmas movies!)
History Channel Vault - $4.99 standalone paid app for documentaries and specials
CBS All Access - $5.99 standalone paid app including live sports (you can use this if CBS is not available on Vue or other services in your market)

Free movie apps that run ads:
- Popcorn Flix
- Fright Pix
- Crackle
- TubiTV

What about sports?

Aggie Football
As I said -- if you subscribe to one of these streaming services above (especially Vue) you should not miss any Aggie football. You may run into DVR trouble on Vue because the service doesn't extend the game windows on recordings -- but apparently the service is working on it.

NFL
You can watch Texans or Cowboys OTA or through the streaming services. Vue and other streaming services have RedZone and NFL Network available. The only trouble with streaming and NFL are blackouts in the preseason due to rights issues. Those are usually solved with OTA channels.

MLB
This is tricky. I don't think Rangers fans have an issue with this because Rangers games are on FSSW. That channel is available on some of the streaming services -- like Vue. But, people in Houston need to use a workaround to get the Astros. ATTSW is not on the streaming services as of now. So, if you don't have a friend's login to use their app, you'll have to do the workaround.

First, I suggest subscribing to a SMART DNS service. It will cost you $5/mo. I use overplay.net. The service hides your location, so you can have privacy online. You could do the same with a VPN and you can find deals for the VPN by signing up for a year. I tested both and Smart DNS does not buffer for me the way VPN does.

As for Overplay, it lets you set your location for different services. You can setup in the US for Netflix and Amazon, and the UK for MLB to avoid the blackout.

Next, download the MLB.tv app. You can buy the season pass for the Astros for a one-time fee of $89 at the beginning of the season. I bought the month-to-month one first to see if it would work -- and it did. I later switched to the full season. I've watched the Astros all season at my home in Houston with the app.

NBA
I'm not sure about this one and the blackout, but I'm guessing the NBA League Pass will work with the workaround method mentioned in the MLB section. Maybe someone can help me here, and I'll update the post.

Issues

This is a warning for the Smart DNS service and MLB.tv. You could have problems with this method depending on your streaming devices. Smart TVs shouldn't have issues.

The workaround does not work with Android-based devices. It does not work on Amazon Fire TV or with Chromecast because those require location services.

It does work with Roku, PS4 and (I believe) XBOX. You have to make adjustments on your router, but sites like overplay.net have easy walk-throughs to show you how to do it.

OTA DVR Options (from Jasomania)

Tivo Roamio OTA
The best and most expensive. 4 channel tuner. Works like a traditional DVR that you are already used to and has a super simple interface. Can also connect to Hulu and Netflix and for series you watch it will fill in gaps in recordings with the streaming episodes if they are availible, really nice for series if you want to watch the whole thing and its distributed through various services. Has 1 Tb Hard drive. Also has apps on phones so you can add shows to record when you are not at home. Cons are that it is expensive (400) but it is a one time fee and there is no subscription cost. Also only works on 1 TV. You can get additional Tivo minis that will extend your DVR to other TV's but they need to be hard wired through ethernet to work.

Tablo
Less like a traditional DVR and more like netflix in how it works. 4 channel tuner. You hook up the tablo (and will need to buy an external HD for it) to your router and then download the tablo app on your Fire TV / Apple TV / Roku and watch the shows streaming through the app. There is no subscription to use it at your home but I believe that there is a subscription you can pay for to watch your shows streaming away from your home. Cost is 250 but you will need to buy an external HD to plug in to it (or if you have an extra one around use it) so really more like 350. Interface is clean and nice but really simple and lacking some features of the Tivo. Good if you want to watch your shows on multiple tv's. Also has phone apps for adding shows when away from home (i believe)

Channel Master
Similar to the Tivo it is a more traditional DVR that has a guide and is directly plugged into a single tv. 2 channel tuner. Like the tablo you need to get your own external DVR. Seems ok but is the lowest rated of the 3 and doesn't have a clean of interface as Tivo. It costs 300 but again without the external dvr you might need to add another 100 to the cost which puts you back in tivo territory. No phone app.

What to expect

Changing between channels is not as easy as cable -- but the way you change channels depends on the device and service you are using to stream. You won't just punch in a channel number to have your TV go to the next channel.

The cloud DVR options may frustrate you -- with the inability to extend record times.

Also, it you are switching between your OTA to streaming device, you'll have to change inputs on your TV. Streaming will come down an HDMI port, the OTA signals will come down the co-ax.

Overall

(***Update 2/2/18***)

I've been streaming all my content for more than a year. I'm not going back to traditional cable TV. Whenever I talk to traditional cable TV watchers, I try to convince them to switch. Many are just throwing their money away. I saved $1000 over the year by making the change.

I have more content to watch than I did before, and I'm not having to pay for tons of channels I don't watch. This method gives me more control of what I watch, when I want it.

Also, the stuff I thought mattered for me to watch, HBO all the sports packages, etc, I don't miss them. But, it's nice to know I can add them or drop them whenever I want.

Making the switch gives you flexibility.

You will find traditional cable TV watchers who will argue, "Well, I got a great deal with Such-and-such cable company. You just need to talk them down." That doesn't work for everybody. I used to call to get the rates down, but I really got tired of calling up DirecTV and AT&T every few months. I don't have time to consistently haggle over a bill -- especially when you consider cable companies always put customers on hold. Just know what works for you, may not work for them.

My wife was reluctant to make the switch at first -- but now she says she'd never go back to watching TV the old way again.

If you are on the fence, take a free trial of one of the streaming services. See how it fits into your family's TV watching style. It will probably feel a little awkward at first, since it is different than how many of us grew up.

Cord cutters -- if you have other information to add -- please do! I'll update the post accordingly.

aTm2004
AG
I have PSVue and the interface is slow on a Fire Stick (no issues watching programs), but runs great on a FireTV. For a secondary TV or bedroom, a stick would be fine, but not for a primary TV.

No experience with other streaming devices.
ArticPenguin:
I am a middle aged lesbian with two children. In Texas, the GOP would love to claim I am an unfit parent and take my children.

Response when pressed for proof:
I actually have 6 links, and was getting super pissed the more info I looked up...So, look it up yourself, I am not going to fight about something I know to be true, to a person who would just as soon see me in prison or dead.
https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/2948036/replies/51680255
Psychag
AG
I use psvue on Roku in living room, roku express in bedroom and fire stick for outside tv. No complaints. I want to buy OTA antenna and install where dtv dish is on roof. We have Netflix and Amazon Prime. No need for satellite or cable.
permabull
AG
agproducer
AG
Psychag said:

I use psvue on Roku in living room, roku express in bedroom and fire stick for outside tv. No complaints. I want to buy OTA antenna and install where dtv dish is on roof. We have Netflix and Amazon Prime. No need for satellite or cable.

Nice. I got an antenna on Amazon for $40. You could grab one and stick it on your dish. The install for me took about an hour, but that's because I'm scared of heights. It just took me a little longer on the roof.
agproducer
AG
VPN can be cheaper, but I noticed a lot of buffering with it.
TX scallywAG
AG
I'd add this to other apps in OP:
CW App: Free, shows posted after airing
PBS App: Free, shows posted after airing
PBS Kids App: Free, cartoons posted
Hallmark: Starting stand alone app October 1 (make those wives happy with Christmas movies!)

None are available on any streaming service I've seen.

Also, YouTube TV is a thing now. I'm not well versed on it though.

Also worth mentioning free movie apps that run ads:
- Popcorn Flix
- Fright Pix
- Crackle
- TubiTV

Go to PS Vue site to see your locals. Houston for example has the 4 major locals + my20, all live. Some markets will have a couple live, then some on demand only, or missing entirely.

I'm in an interesting spot geographically between two OTA towers. I'd need a serious OTA set up. Not having locals was the only thing keeping me from cutting the cord. Once they added all locals here, I made the jump.

I use Vue with Android & iOS apps to Chromecast. Extremely steady. I will eventually get a Fire TV box for a more typical remote experience.
---
Class of '10 - A&M Undergrad & Master's Alum
hatchback
AG
Quote:

SlingTV

This is one of the cheapest options, but to me the channel setup is weird. It costs as little as $20-$25/month. But, there's no DVR.
There is DVR available with SlingTV but it's not part of the base package.
TX scallywAG
AG
hatchback said:

Quote:

SlingTV

This is one of the cheapest options, but to me the channel setup is weird. It costs as little as $20-$25/month. But, there's no DVR.
There is DVR available with SlingTV but it's not part of the base package.

Also not all channels unless that's changed recently.
---
hatchback
AG
Most channels don't have DVR functionality for live TV but you can record any program on any channel.
Jasomania
AG
If you want OTA DVR functionality you have three good options:

Tivo Roamio OTA: The best and most expensive. 4 channel tuner. Works like a traditional DVR that you are already used to and has a super simple interface. Can also connect to Hulu and Netflix and for series you watch it will fill in gaps in recordings with the streaming episodes if they are availible, really nice for series if you want to watch the whole thing and its distributed through various services. Has 1 Tb Hard drive. Also has apps on phones so you can add shows to record when you are not at home. Cons are that it is expensive (400) but it is a one time fee and there is no subscription cost. Also only works on 1 TV. You can get additional Tivo minis that will extend your DVR to other TV's but they need to be hard wired through ethernet to work.

Tablo: Less like a traditional DVR and more like netflix in how it works. 4 channel tuner. You hook up the tablo (and will need to buy an external HD for it) to your router and then download the tablo app on your Fire TV / Apple TV / Roku and watch the shows streaming through the app. There is no subscription to use it at your home but I believe that there is a subscription you can pay for to watch your shows streaming away from your home. Cost is 250 but you will need to buy an external HD to plug in to it (or if you have an extra one around use it) so really more like 350. Interface is clean and nice but really simple and lacking some features of the Tivo. Good if you want to watch your shows on multiple tv's. Also has phone apps for adding shows when away from home (i believe)

Channel Master: Similar to the Tivo it is a more traditional DVR that has a guide and is directly plugged into a single tv. 2 channel tuner. Like the tablo you need to get your own external DVR. Seems ok but is the lowest rated of the 3 and doesn't have a clean of interface as Tivo. It costs 300 but again without the external dvr you might need to add another 100 to the cost which puts you back in tivo territory. No phone app.
Civen
AG
There's also YoutubeTV for streaming. It's currently available in Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio but they seem to be expanding their reach rapidly. Outlying suburbs also seem to qualify, just have to check your address on the site. They have all the local channels and ESPN/SEC Network, but their extended offering is a bit slimmer than some of the others. Although, the trade off for me is that it was the least expensive. It has a DVR service too.

The downside is, they don't currently have an app for Roku/Amazon Fire. You can get it on your TV with a chromecast or watch on your computer/phone (and they currently have an offer for a free chromecast after you pay for your first months service).
agproducer
AG
Civen said:

There's also YoutubeTV for streaming. It's currently available in Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio but they seem to be expanding their reach rapidly. Outlying suburbs also seem to qualify, just have to check your address on the site. They have all the local channels and ESPN/SEC Network, but their extended offering is a bit slimmer than some of the others. Although, the trade off for me is that it was the least expensive. It has a DVR service too.

The downside is, they don't currently have an app for Roku/Amazon Fire. You can get it on your TV with a chromecast or watch on your computer/phone (and they currently have an offer for a free chromecast after you pay for your first months service).
Thanks. I had mentioned YouTubeTV, but not in this much detail. I will add it.
TX scallywAG
AG
@Ag Producer. Thanks for adding my input . Hope it helps. Two more apps to add:

History Channel Vault - $4.99 standalone paid app for documentaries and specials
CBS All Access - $5.99 standalone paid app including live sports

Important because Vue does not have History channel.

https://www.historyvault.com/?force=true&cmpid=HV_P_Search_zzz_Bing_AllDevices_Brand&gclid=CLulzcOIt9YCFYH2DQodxkoEZw&gclsrc=ds

CBS is worth noting if Vue doesnt have CBS in your market or you have poor OTA signal.
---
02skiag
AG
Vue is now $40 a month for the lowest option. If you already had it it will increase to that in about a month. Directv Now has a $25 a month credit if you have an AT&T unlimited mobile plan.
Timber08
Anyone using a Chromebit or Chromebox and a family member's cable login to stream? It seems like this picks up the obvious services like Netflix but you also have the option to stream ESPN/BTN/Bravo etc. which are restricted on hardware like firesticks.

I just bought a chromebit to combine with an OTA antenna and can't come up with any service I won't be able to access. Trade off is interface and using a small keyboard for a remote I suppose.
TX scallywAG
AG
Using someone else's log in isn't cutting the cord. It's stealing... the 2017 version of tapping into your neighbor's cable or a black market satellite card. Eventually these providers will get smart and lock it down to an IP or a few MAC addresses of mobile phones initially registered within a certain network. It's coming.

Personally, I also don't really think of Vue, Sling, DTV Now, etc as cord cutting. It's just an OTT/IPTV "cable" provider. It does happen to be quite a bit cheaper & an alternative to typical cable or satellite so it all gets lumped together. That's more of a definition thing though. I also work in telecom & IT so maybe I'm too into the jargon.
---
jja79
AG
There's frugal and there's dishonest. That's dishonest.
Timber08
The toughest part about ditching cable is when guests are over and complain they can't watch the game on ESPN the ocho or the game of thrones premier. I'm not actually looking for a source to stream Bravo.

I'm looking for a one stop shop so I don't have 8 dongles and a laptop hanging off the back of the TV so we have what we need when we need it.

I do split a netflix account- hope that doesn't ruffle too many feathers.
jja79
AG
It's the age of entitlement.
TX scallywAG
AG
Bravo is an option on one of the Vue tiers.
---
nwspmp
In addition to the above, there are a few things I've used to help the transition from conventional cable/satellite service over to a 90% internet/10% OTA setup.

In addition to the above services, I have a Netgear NAS (technically two of them, but they're shared into one) and on the Intel based one, I run a Plex server (http://www.plex.tv). This allowed me to rip all of my music and DVDs/BluRays and have one good central source that showed them and took care of all of the metadata/art/organization automatically. For a long time, I used the free tier only, but when they added Live TV DVR to it, I paid a one-time PlexPass Lifetime fee. For that, with a small bit of configuration, my Plex server could now record from my OTA antenna and dumped the recordings directly into my Plex system. I bought an SiliconDust HDHomeRun Duo (http://www.silicondust.com) to connect to the OTA antenna. I bought an app called "Channels" for the AppleTV which connects over the home network to the HDHR, and lets you watch the Live OTA TV.

That takes care of the OTA TV and recording of it. I had a Tablo as well at one point, and it worked very well.

The other thing that has really helped was PlayOn.tv. I hate that I sound like a damned shill for it, but it's been super awesome for me. It's a software that records streaming services. Basically, it records the video and audio directly as if you were watching the show from the service. So, you browse your services through it (I typically use DirecTV Now, Netflix, Amazon Video and Hulu through it mostly), it parses the websites and shows a list of the shows available, you select which ones to record (and which ones to Subscribe to; it rechecks that page each day to see if a new episode has been posted and if so, automatically records it) and it loads up the video in the background (you don't see the audio and video) and it streams it as if you were sitting watching it and records it. The files are DRM free and dump directly into Plex very well. With the Subscribe option, even if an episode is on a channel's website for only a few days, it's typically picked up before its gone. This was also a one-time purchase, and it basically my only reason for a WIndows machine at home.

Those two things, coupled with the associated Roku and AppleTV apps for Plex (and the Plex app now allowing for live TV viewing along with recording) helped me get over the top on the WAF to drop the Cable/Satellite that I'd had previously
maverick2076
The NFL and Aggie football helped make this decision easy. I just cancelled the U-Verse we have had for 6 years. Going to keep AT&T Internet. We get good speeds and I am happy with them. Now I need to look at replacement options. I have Amazon Prime already. My main TV has an Xbox 1 and a RetroPi box with Kodi on it. My bedroom has a 360 and an older Windows HTPC hooked up. If I go with PSVue, Youtube TV, or something else, do I really need a FireTV, or can I make it work with what I've got?
aTm2004
AG
I don't think you can stream Amazon Video on anything other than a Fire TV or Fire Stick, unless you have a tablet/phone hooked up to your TV via HDMI. Probably wrong on that, though.
ArticPenguin:
I am a middle aged lesbian with two children. In Texas, the GOP would love to claim I am an unfit parent and take my children.

I actually have 6 links, and was getting super pissed the more info I looked up...So, look it up yourself, I am not going to fight about something I know to be true, to a person who would just as soon see me in prison or dead.
agracer
AG
Just to clarify on PSVue and their "DVR"...it's not a real DVR. You can watch shows later, but you cannot turn on a show in the middle and start from the beginning.

Case in point, I tried to DVR the Ark game b/c I knew I would miss part of the 1st half. I got home, fired up Vue, went to "my shows", clicked on the A&M/ARK game and it dumped me into the middle of the game. There is no way to watch from the beginning until it's over. And the problem with that is that the recording ends when the time slot on the guide ends. No way to extend time (and when has a football game ever ended on time?). You can't just record the next program as it will just show you THAT program, not what was actually broadcast at that time (hope that make sense)

You might be able to use Watch ESPN to see the whole game, but I don't know how quickly those are available. It might be the next day before you can watch the game.
Josepi
AG
agracer said:

Just to clarify on PSVue and their "DVR"...it's not a real DVR. You can watch shows later, but you cannot turn on a show in the middle and start from the beginning.

Case in point, I tried to DVR the Ark game b/c I knew I would miss part of the 1st half. I got home, fired up Vue, went to "my shows", clicked on the A&M/ARK game and it dumped me into the middle of the game. There is no way to watch from the beginning until it's over. And the problem with that is that the recording ends when the time slot on the guide ends. No way to extend time (and when has a football game ever ended on time?). You can't just record the next program as it will just show you THAT program, not what was actually broadcast at that time (hope that make sense)

You might be able to use Watch ESPN to see the whole game, but I don't know how quickly those are available. It might be the next day before you can watch the game.
That's a problem for me. I commonly like to start a game an hour or so after kick-off so I can speed through commercials and half-time. The South Carolina Game kicks off at 6:30, and my kids go to bed at 8, so I probably wont start watching until after 8. I don't want to wait until 10pm to start watching, and i don't want to miss the 1st half. Also, games never fit the allotted time slot. When was the last time a game ended in 3 or even 3-1/2 hours?
aTm2004
AG
Quote:

CFBLights normally has the games up on YouTube the next day with no commercials.
ArticPenguin:

maverick2076
Amazon Video has apps on the Xbox. I was more wondering about the other streaming services, such as YouTube TV or PSVue.
aTm2004
AG
Ahh...you can go to each of their sites and it will tell you what devices you can stream their service through. I know YouTube doesn't work on Fire products at the moment.
ArticPenguin:

aTm2004
AG
Oh, and if you're a big football fan like me, the game streams run about a play behind satellite, so if you're watching a game and don't want the ending to be blown by a text, turn off your phone. Case in point, before the final play of the game on Saturday, I got maybe 10 texts between the end of the next to last play and the snap of the last play. Without reading, I knew immediately, given the number of texts, that we had won. They wouldn't text me if Arky tied the game.
ArticPenguin:

agproducer
AG
maverick2076 said:

Amazon Video has apps on the Xbox. I was more wondering about the other streaming services, such as YouTube TV or PSVue.
I don't believe Vue will work on Xbox. You can get Amazon Fire sticks for $40 each, or a Roku stick for $50.
Post removed:
by user
CoolaidWade
AG
What is the picture quality of the streaming services? I'm hearing it's not as good as Cable/Satellite.

Is it HD quality?
agproducer
AG
HD quality. I think Vue is 720p. Amazon prime has 4k available.
aTm2004
AG
My picture looks better via streaming than it did over DTV.

Also, the above poster is correct, Amazon Video has some shows/movies in 4k UHD.
ArticPenguin:

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.