Cord Cutting for Beginners

93,937 Views | 553 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Gomer95
jja79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Including wifi?
aTm2004
AG
I paid for wifi regardless, so I don't see why I should include that in the cost of TV service. Since I had DTV and not cable, I wasn't getting any bundle deal either.
ArticPenguin:
I am a middle aged lesbian with two children. In Texas, the GOP would love to claim I am an unfit parent and take my children.

Response when pressed for proof:
I actually have 6 links, and was getting super pissed the more info I looked up...So, look it up yourself, I am not going to fight about something I know to be true, to a person who would just as soon see me in prison or dead.
https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/2948036/replies/51680255
Ark03
AG
aTm2004 said:

I paid for wifi regardless, so I don't see why I should include that in the cost of TV service. Since I had DTV and not cable, I wasn't getting any bundle deal either.
Wifi costs extra money? How is that possible?
aTm2004
AG
What are you talking about? WiFi/internet/the web/etc.
ArticPenguin:
I am a middle aged lesbian with two children. In Texas, the GOP would love to claim I am an unfit parent and take my children.

I actually have 6 links, and was getting super pissed the more info I looked up...So, look it up yourself, I am not going to fight about something I know to be true, to a person who would just as soon see me in prison or dead.
MRB10
AG
Does anyone use the new streaming product from Charter Spectrum? We just cancelled with them to go cordless + cheaper internet option and they were pushing this HARD. The offered to match the price I'm paying now($85 all in) and double my speed(100MBs to 200MBs) if I stayed and went with their streaming product.

I can't find anything online regarding channel line ups to compare it to PS Vue.
zurcaled11
AG
Chatted with Spectrum about their Spectrum Streaming TV Service and they sent over this list and said all local channels are included:

A&E
ABC
AMC
Animal Planet
Bravo
CBS
CNN
Discovery
E!
Food Network
Fox
FX Movie Channel
FreeForm
FX
FXX
Hallmark
Hallmark Movies
HGTV
History
Lifetime
Lifetime Movie
Nat'l Geographic
NBC
Oxygen
PBS
Spectrum News
TBS
TLC
TNT
USA

I had also seen on a few news articles that it had ESPN, but that wasn't included in the list, so I'm not sure. Seems odd they don't have a list on a website somewhere.
TX scallywAG
AG
Prince_Ahmed said:

As I'm skimming through posts here and seeing references to a DirectTV DVR box, PlayStation Vue, subscriptions to youtube, hulu, HBO, and references to all content being tied to the internet, may I point out that most of you haven't succeeded in "cutting the cord?" You just found yourselves a new cord.

If you truly want to cut the cord and actually realize some of the savings people talk about, go get (or build) yourself an antenna and if you want to splurge, maybe a DVR to record content off your antenna. Make sure to find one that doesn't depend on streaming content (like the ChannelMaster).

People who say it's not worth it to cut the cord are still tethered to cable companies because they can't give up their cable content. All people are doing when going to paid steaming content rather than cable/satellite content is restructuring their pay model. I'm not surprised it doesn't result in massive savings; if you want cable content, cable companies are going to get their pound of flesh.

Yeah I mentioned this a couple pages back. I don't view myself as a cord cutter personally. I'm an OTT (Over the Top) "cable" subscriber with PS Vue.

I'm saving $500-$600 per year and I could technically cancel at any time with the month to month. I could ratchet down my tier outside of football season and up those savings. Good luck doing that with traditional cable or satellite.

It's also changed the way my family watches TV. We watch almost nothing live now. When you "tag" a show on Vue it pulls all recordings & VODs for that show in one nice place. I like this better than a traditional DVR as it involves going to between multiple apps less. I never have one visit the respective channel's app for older episodes I missed DVRing.

We do have Watch ESPN and other channel logins if you do want to access those apps. You don't get that with OTA. Most of us here want to watch live sports outside of locals.

I did confirm over at another forum, if you cancel Vue but sign back up under the same account, your favorite channels & shows all remain "tagged." That's pretty slick.
---
Class of '10 - A&M Undergrad & Master's Alum
MRB10
AG
The guy mentioned ESPN, espn 2, and news when I talked to him. No conference networks though. It sounds like they may be in the early stages of getting their contracts sorted out. I'll check them out again when my contract comes up in a year.

aTm2004
AG
Any of you with PSVue able to get the channels to change with Alexa? I'm able to launch Vue, pause, etc with Alexa, but when I say "Tune to ESPN" or a similar command, it says "can't do that on Fire TV." I've tried relinking as well as ensuring the app on my Fire TV is updated, but it still won't work. Works fine for my dad at his place.
ArticPenguin:

Synopsis
agproducer said:

We have cord cutting threads all the time, and maybe its time to put the information in one place. I've learned a lot about it through research, and honestly, I'm pretty passionate about trying to save others money. I felt like I was throwing cash away each month, and by making the switch, I'm saving $1000 a year.

Setup

Streaming Sticks
Each TV in your house needs a streaming device (Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV or stick, Chromecast, etc.) to get the internet streams. Most plug right into your TV's HDMI ports. If you have a smart TV, you can download apps straight to your TV. From what I've read, Samsung Smart TVs may have issues downloading some of the streaming services due to Samsung's proprietary Smart TV builds. In that case, to access an app like PSVue, you'll need a streaming device for your Samsung TV.

Internet
I've read 25 mb down is enough, but I went with 100 down -- since we stream on several devices at once. I found a deal with xfinity that locked me into a $50 rate. Now, you can buy your own modem with wifi and hook it up to the xfinity network. That way, you will avoid the company's modem rental fee each month. It will cost you about $200 up front for a good one (I have a Netgear Nighthawk), but you will make that money back in about two years.

OTA TV
You want your local channels? Invest in an antenna. The website, tvfool.com, will let you know the specific antenna range you need. You can put an exterior antenna on your house or in the attic and and wire it to your TVs, or get individual antennas for each TV (more expensive). I put an exterior antenna outside my home. I used to have DirecTV, and the dish was accessible. So, I popped off the cone from the dish, strapped the antenna to the dish and used the pre-existing wiring to my TVs. I followed the process I found here: Turn your satellite dish into HD Antenna

Streaming Services

To get the shows you want, you'll want to pick a streaming service app. A subscription will also help you log into other apps like Disney, etc. Here are the options:

PSVue
Options as low as $40/month. 28 day cloud DVR -- can be hinky but is improving. Lots of sports options. You aren't missing any Aggie football with this app (all the ESPNs, except ESPN3 but you'll have credentials for it. SEC Network is included) You can also get your local channels in several markets. For sports, you cannot DVR a game, jump in say at halftime and start from the beginning and fast forward through commercails until you catch up. Also, there is no way to extend the end time to catch the end of the game. (Full disclosure -- I use Vue).

SlingTV
This is one of the cheapest options, but to me the channel setup is weird. It costs as little as $20-$25/month. There is limited DVR available for live channels. Most of the live channels do not have DVR functionality. (thanks hatchback)

DirecTVNow
Lots of channel options here, but it seems to be a little pricier. People who got in on the ground floor were grandfathered in at $35/month. But, there's no DVR service -- though DirecTV says it is working on it. You can get a $25 credit if you have AT&T unlimited mobile plan. (thanks candyland02) Also, the service runs month-long free trials with a code (from aggielax48). This month's code as of 9/28 is RULESFREE9.

YouTubeTV (from Civen)
currently available in Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio and expanding. All the local channels are available along with ESPN/SEC Network, but the overall offering is slimmer. It's one of the least expensive and has DVR service. There is currently no app for streaming devices like Roku or Amazon Fire. You can stream it from your phone to TV on Chromecast, and the service offers a free Chromecast after you pay for the first month.

Hulu Live (from zurcaled11)
Provides live TV and does have a standard DVR functionality. It also has an expanded DVR add- on and a reduced ads add-on. The channel lineup is not as robust as other options, but it has the entire Hulu back library of shows.

Netflix -- we all know about that.

Amazon Prime -- lots of free video and content with your Prime membership

XFinity Instant -- (info from Pman17)
Comcast is offering its own pseudo streaming service to its internet customers only. It's basic service is $18 for channels you can get over the air. Then, you can play add-on for extra cash: +$30 for sports and news,
+$10 for all of the kids channels, +$15 for your entertainment and reality TV channels and then additional for the premium ones. DVR is included. It's pitched basically as a skinny bundle -- not a direct competitor to PSVue, DirecTVNow or others mentioned above. Read more here: https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/27/15095464/comcast-xfinity-instant-tv-stream-abc-cbs-fox-nbc

Other Apps (from Aggie MHA)
These channels don't appear to be on the streaming services. So, if you want them, you'll have to get them individually.

CW App: -- Free, shows posted after airing
PBS App -- Free, shows posted after airing
PBS Kids App -- Free, cartoons posted
Hallmark -- Starting stand alone app October 1 (make those wives happy with Christmas movies!)
History Channel Vault - $4.99 standalone paid app for documentaries and specials
CBS All Access - $5.99 standalone paid app including live sports (you can use this if CBS is not available on Vue or other services in your market)

Free movie apps that run ads:
- Popcorn Flix
- Fright Pix
- Crackle
- TubiTV

What about sports?

Aggie Football
As I said -- if you subscribe to one of these streaming services above (especially Vue) you should not miss any Aggie football. You may run into DVR trouble on Vue because the service doesn't extend the game windows on recordings -- but apparently the service is working on it.

NFL
You can watch Texans or Cowboys OTA or through the streaming services. Vue and other streaming services have RedZone and NFL Network available. The only trouble with streaming and NFL are blackouts in the preseason due to rights issues. Those are usually solved with OTA channels.

MLB
This is tricky. I don't think Rangers fans have an issue with this because Rangers games are on FSSW. That channel is available on some of the streaming services -- like Vue. But, people in Houston need to use a workaround to get the Astros. ATTSW is not on the streaming services as of now. So, if you don't have a friend's login to use their app, you'll have to do the workaround.

First, I suggest subscribing to a SMART DNS service. It will cost you $5/mo. I use overplay.net. The service hides your location, so you can have privacy online. You could do the same with a VPN and you can find deals for the VPN by signing up for a year. I tested both and Smart DNS does not buffer for me the way VPN does.

As for Overplay, it lets you set your location for different services. You can setup in the US for Netflix and Amazon, and the UK for MLB to avoid the blackout.

Next, download the MLB.tv app. You can buy the season pass for the Astros for a one-time fee of $89 at the beginning of the season. I bought the month-to-month one first to see if it would work -- and it did. I later switched to the full season. I've watched the Astros all season at my home in Houston with the app.

NBA
I'm not sure about this one and the blackout, but I'm guessing the NBA League Pass will work with the workaround method mentioned in the MLB section. Maybe someone can help me here, and I'll update the post.

Issues

This is a warning for the Smart DNS service and MLB.tv. You could have problems with this method depending on your streaming devices. Smart TVs shouldn't have issues.

The workaround does not work with Android-based devices. It does not work on Amazon Fire TV or with Chromecast because those require location services.

It does work with Roku, PS4 and (I believe) XBOX. You have to make adjustments on your router, but sites like overplay.net have easy walk-throughs to show you how to do it.

OTA DVR Options (from Jasomania)

Tivo Roamio OTA
The best and most expensive. 4 channel tuner. Works like a traditional DVR that you are already used to and has a super simple interface. Can also connect to Hulu and Netflix and for series you watch it will fill in gaps in recordings with the streaming episodes if they are availible, really nice for series if you want to watch the whole thing and its distributed through various services. Has 1 Tb Hard drive. Also has apps on phones so you can add shows to record when you are not at home. Cons are that it is expensive (400) but it is a one time fee and there is no subscription cost. Also only works on 1 TV. You can get additional Tivo minis that will extend your DVR to other TV's but they need to be hard wired through ethernet to work.

Tablo
Less like a traditional DVR and more like netflix in how it works. 4 channel tuner. You hook up the tablo (and will need to buy an external HD for it) to your router and then download the tablo app on your Fire TV / Apple TV / Roku and watch the shows streaming through the app. There is no subscription to use it at your home but I believe that there is a subscription you can pay for to watch your shows streaming away from your home. Cost is 250 but you will need to buy an external HD to plug in to it (or if you have an extra one around use it) so really more like 350. Interface is clean and nice but really simple and lacking some features of the Tivo. Good if you want to watch your shows on multiple tv's. Also has phone apps for adding shows when away from home (i believe)

Channel Master
Similar to the Tivo it is a more traditional DVR that has a guide and is directly plugged into a single tv. 2 channel tuner. Like the tablo you need to get your own external DVR. Seems ok but is the lowest rated of the 3 and doesn't have a clean of interface as Tivo. It costs 300 but again without the external dvr you might need to add another 100 to the cost which puts you back in tivo territory. No phone app.

What to expect

Changing between channels is not as easy as cable -- but the way you change channels depends on the device and service you are using to stream. You won't just punch in a channel number to have your TV go to the next channel.

For example, PSVue has a guide that works on PS4s and Amazon Fire devices, where you can call it up and switch channels. There is lag time between switching channels, and there is channel recall.

On Roku, you have to hit "Back" to get out of a channel, then find the tile of the new channel you want to watch. It can be cumbersome, but once you are used to it, I haven't found it to be a problem.

Also, it you are switching between your OTA to streaming device, you'll have to change inputs on your TV. Streaming will come down an HDMI port, the OTA signals will come down the co-ax.

Overall

I'm glad I've cut the cord. I'm not looking back. My wife was reluctant to do it at first -- but now she says she'd never go back to watching TV the old way again.

Cord cutters -- if you have other information to add -- please do! I'll update the post accordingly.

I've bookmarked this and wish that I could give you a gazillion stars for taking the time to write this down. Thank you.
evan_aggie
AG
Been with PS Vue since August. Not a huge fan of their app on a phone. They don't even go to landscape mode to show the TV guide more easily so I find myself scrolling more side to side to see one channel at a time.

The iPad works better because I can see 3-4. Anyway, DVR has worked well with some minor gripes. I've caught all of the Tamu games I've wanted.

rynning
AG
YouTube TV now has an Apple TV app. Anyone try it yet?

AggieFrog
AG
rynning said:

YouTube TV now has an Apple TV app. Anyone try it yet?

Yes - it's slick. Trying to decide whether to jump from DirecTV Now or not. I'm grandfathered into the $35 deal and have AT&T Wireless so mobile streaming is free but the Interface and DVR of YouTube TV are far superior.
rynning
AG
I really like PSVue channels, quality, price and streaming, but the DVR is not very intuitive and the guide needs a make-over, especially as they add more channels.

Planning to start a YouTube trial this weekend to compare.
aTm2004
AG
What are you using for PSVue? On FireTV, the guide is pretty much what you're used to seeing with cable/satellite. The DVR is weird at first, but pretty good once you get used to it. YMMV.
ArticPenguin:

94chem
Quote:

I cut the cord in the fall of 2012.

Essentials
~$50 - OTA antenna, may need an amplifier depending on where you live. Amazing when they are working at peak.
~$100 each - I use ROKUs - like the interface, performance, and channel availability (Aggie owned or designed?)
~$40/mo - I have a Cable internet 50Mb download speed which is more than enough.
Need a good WiFi connection and/or Ethernet connections.
I prefer external devices as opposed to builtin streamers.
BTW, We travel with a Roku stick in our suitcase.

Services I always use
~$10/mo - Amazon Prime - would own it with the streaming, but streaming is nice since it provides a show buying service. Lots of older shows available via Prime.
~$12/mo - Netflix - essential channel with good shows, occasionally great shows and some duds.
~$12/mo - Hulu - I get it without commercials for a few more bucks.
~$40/mo - PSVue - Access level for Live cable news mostly. Price just went up.

Services I upgrade or purchase month to month or for Football season
~$5/mo - PSVue - Core level for All ESPN channels for College Football
~$15/mo - HBO Now - when our show are running
~$10/mo - Starz via Amazon - When our shows are running
~$100/yr - CRTV - Mark Levin's conservative news service <-- I wanted FoxNews to do this 4 years ago

Note: I originally did this save money over my $150/mo cable plan + $40 cable internet + Netflix, Amazon and Hulu+, but I really wanted to change how people watch TV and that has happened. The only live TV we watch is Aggie football and the world series. I still save a little but care more about the ala cart service.
Good post. I have my cable, internet, and land line bundled with Suddenlink. The cable includes my router rental, sports package upgrade, and all HD channels (standard now). The internet is now unlimited high speed. I upgraded because we have 5 phones, 3 PC's, 1 smart TV, 2 firesticks, and 10 tablets. I keep a phone line because I'm an old fogie. Anyway, the total is $158/month including all taxes and fees. I also have Netflix, hulu, and Amazon Prime - but those are the same either way. Bottom line is that I probably wouldn't save much money at all. I'd just make everything 10 times more complicated.

HERE'S SOMETHING EVERYBODY WITH CABLE NEEDS TO DO: GO INTO YOUR LOCAL OFFICE AND TELL THEM YOU'RE PAYING TOO MUCH. EVERY TIME I DO THIS THEY HIT SOME MAGIC BUTTON AND MY BILL GOES DOWN.
aTm2004
AG
You're in Kingwood as well. Go into the local Suddenlink office and ask about buying a modem. They just gave me one rather than selling it or renting it to me.
ArticPenguin:

rynning
AG
Well I signed up for a YouTube TV trial with Apple TV.

First impressions:

1. The YouTube DVR is more intuitive than PSVue's, mainly because it has its own "Library" tab. PSVue has the DVR located four rows down under the "Home" tab.
2. The YouTube video quality is not quite as good as PSVue. It's very hard to tell without a side by side comparison, but I swear I see artifacts with YouTube that I don't see with PSVue.
3. The YouTube guide is worse that PSVue's. The channels are rows instead of columns, which is fine, but the font is much bigger so you see fewer channels at the same time. It's also easier to quickly scan over the PSVue's guide for shows. I'm not sure it's possible to make a great guide with the AppleTV remote.
4. YouTube doesn't support separate profiles for different people, i.e., each person has their own favorites and DVR.

I'll keep trying it for a few days...
PTXaggie08
AG
I am almost 24 hours with YouTube TV. I still have my Sling account, which has been my primary for about a year. I have tried Vue, and I didn't care for the interface, and I haven't messed with Hulu TV.

First impressions: wow, this is so much better than the Sling UI. It works great on the Apple TV and it looks so much cleaner than Sling. There is a slight learning curve, but it isnt bad at all.

I think the quality is the same as all the other stream services, which isn't necessarily a compliment.

I have an Amazon fire stick in my bedroom, and I have just learned that Youtube TV doesn't play well with Amazon, which is really disappointing because I like my Fire Stick so much better than my Roku. I'm still trying to figure out what I am going to do with that.

All in all, I predict I will be canceling Sling now that Youtube TV is on the Apple TV.
jay040
Quote:

I have tried Vue, and I didn't care for the interface,

FYI, The UI for Vue has been updated - Roku, Firestick, etc all now have the traditional channel guide that the PS4 Vue had. I have a 2016 Roku stick - it's a little slow but works fine.
chigger
AG
Cancelled Sling last night for Hulu full service. Not a fan of Hulu's interface at all but my wife loves Hulu so we are just going with that.

Honestly the interfaces for all of the major ones are terrible. At least on Roku. I've had PSVue, Sling, and Hulu now and I'd give the nod to Sling but not by much.

As of now we just have Hulu, Netflix and Amazon Prime. That covers pretty much everything my family watches. I watch basically nothing but Aggie football in the fall and Netflix.
rynning
AG
jay040 said:

Quote:

I have tried Vue, and I didn't care for the interface,

FYI, The UI for Vue has been updated - Roku, Firestick, etc all now have the traditional channel guide that the PS4 Vue had. I have a 2016 Roku stick - it's a little slow but works fine.

I don't hate the Vue guide, just think it could be even better. A guide is for perusing channels and for finding/switching to a specific channel. Vue's guide is great for perusing, but a little cumbersome for finding/switching. (Try switching to TNT if TNT is not a favorite.) Maybe I'd like it better if the channels were rows instead of columns. Currently you can view 5 channels and 3 hours in one screen. If channels were rows, you could probably view 8 channels and 2 hours. YouTube does it that way, but the font is so big it also shows 5 channels at a time and it's not nearly as smooth...

By the way, YouTube came to the rescue just before the Super Bowl. I couldn't get Vue to show the Home screen or the Guide, so I couldn't change the channel. My YouTube trial worked fine. Here's the outage if you look within 24 hours: http://downdetector.com/status/playstation-vue Apparently both Vue and Hulu had outages during the Super Bowl as well.
aTm2004
AG
Quote:

(Try switching to TNT if TNT is not a favorite.)

"Alexa, tune to TNT."
ArticPenguin:

Candiru
AG
At the start of the Super Bowl, my Vue through the Fire TV was frozen. Luckily, my very old Roku stick and Vue worked fine.
chigger
AG
We watched the Super Bowl through the NBCsn app on Roku and had zero issues. I was actually pretty impressed.
CoolaidWade
AG
chigger said:

Cancelled Sling last night for Hulu full service. Not a fan of Hulu's interface at all but my wife loves Hulu so we are just going with that.

Honestly the interfaces for all of the major ones are terrible. At least on Roku. I've had PSVue, Sling, and Hulu now and I'd give the nod to Sling but not by much.

As of now we just have Hulu, Netflix and Amazon Prime. That covers pretty much everything my family watches. I watch basically nothing but Aggie football in the fall and Netflix.
They are changing the format this year to a more traditional channel guide.

Ed Carter
AG
Hey guys, quick dumb question. I'm going to go with either YouTube tv or psvue and I bought 2 Rokus and an apple 4K for my 2 tv's and media room. I will be using one of the rokus in my media room so it will be inserted directly into the receiver. My question is, which hdmi port would I plug this into (cbl/sat, aux, etc) and are there any specific differences I need to look out for when it comes to using a Roku on a receiver in a media room setting? Thanks in advance!
Caesar4
AG
rynning said:

Well I signed up for a YouTube TV trial with Apple TV.

First impressions:

1. The YouTube DVR is more intuitive than PSVue's, mainly because it has its own "Library" tab. PSVue has the DVR located four rows down under the "Home" tab.
2. The YouTube video quality is not quite as good as PSVue. It's very hard to tell without a side by side comparison, but I swear I see artifacts with YouTube that I don't see with PSVue.
3. The YouTube guide is worse that PSVue's. The channels are rows instead of columns, which is fine, but the font is much bigger so you see fewer channels at the same time. It's also easier to quickly scan over the PSVue's guide for shows. I'm not sure it's possible to make a great guide with the AppleTV remote.
4. YouTube doesn't support separate profiles for different people, i.e., each person has their own favorites and DVR.

I'll keep trying it for a few days...

Regarding your #4, I believe that YTTV does provide different profiles. They call that a Family Group. I haven't set up the Family Group yet, because I'm not sure we're keeping YouTube TV, due to the channel selection.

I like everything about YouTube TV, except there are some channels that I wish it had:
  • HGTV
  • History
  • Travel
  • TNT
  • Turner Classic Movies
  • AHC
  • HLN

ETA: We're using it on the Roku. Works well.
AggieFrog
AG
There are rumors of an announcement Wednesday for YouTube TV. Lots of hopes that the Turner networks will be added.
AggieFrog
AG
https://www.reddit.com/r/youtubetv/comments/7x9tvd/youtube_tv_is_getting_the_turner_channels/?st=JDLZTY2G&sh=40c44ae2
zurcaled11
AG
YouTube TV is Adding Turner Channels.

"According to Buzzfeed's post, which has been updated to remove all embargoed info, YouTube TV is getting CNN, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, TBS, TNT, truTV, and Turner Classic Movies. For sports fans, the service will get nationally televised NBA games, All-Star weekend, Playoffs, and the NBA TV channel. New baseball content includes the MLB Network and MLB Postseason games. There will also be UEFA soccer and the PGA Championship broadcasts. You'll be able to pay extra for access to NBA League Pass and MLB.TV premium channels as well."
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
Comparing Streaming services channel lineups 07/2017

fta09
AG
So I think I'm going to take the jump and dump DirecTV because I'm paying way too much for what I get. I hardly watch TV outside Aggie sports, and my wife only DVRs some shows. All of the networks we watch would be on PS Vue.

That said, it appears the only local channel I can get is CBS. I know I can get an OTA to get more, but I know quality can vary by location. Anyone in Midland/Odessa use one and have any luck?
agproducer
AG
fta09 said:

So I think I'm going to take the jump and dump DirecTV because I'm paying way too much for what I get. I hardly watch TV outside Aggie sports, and my wife only DVRs some shows. All of the networks we watch would be on PS Vue.

That said, it appears the only local channel I can get is CBS. I know I can get an OTA to get more, but I know quality can vary by location. Anyone in Midland/Odessa use one and have any luck?
Check out tvfool.com. It will let you know what you can pick up with what antenna.
RAT90
AG
What is yall's GB usage per month?

Rigth now we have 150Mbps (speedtest.net usually hits 170-180) and have many wi-fi devices, including a 4K tv, 2 other HDTVs, 2 Rokus, 1 Apple TV, 3 Nest devices, and a myriad of other wi-fi devices (around 25 total).

I am worried about hitting our Xfinity 1024 GB cap at the end of the month as we are around 450 GB right now and just "cut the cord" on Sunday.

Someday I do plan to put up an HD antenna up on the roof. Maybe QVC OTA will help reduce our usage as that is a heavily used channel in the household.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.