*****Nintendo Switch Thread*****

101,357 Views | 749 Replies | Last: 27 days ago by Jimmy McNulty
tamusc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It still boggles my mind that there's no way to backup saves.
Pman17
AG
Hopefully they'll have some cloud save service when the online service launches.
tamusc
AG
That's my hope as well because I just refuse to put any real amount of time into Zelda until that issue is addressed. The thought of losing 100+ hours of game time due to a hardware failure, physical damage or having a lost/stolen console is ridiculous in the era of ubiquitous could storage.

But, it's Ninetendo we're talking about and they like to ignore current trends for better or worse.
3rdGen2015
AG
Super Mario Odyssey release week. So pumped.
Pman17
AG
Can't play till Monday but I am pumped too
agfan2013
AG
Really looking forward to Odyssey. I think its going to be better than BotW and I've put over 70 hours and bought the DLC package for it (anybody know when the second part is coming out by the way?).
Pman17
AG
Rocket League coming Nov 14 for $20. Will be cross platform with everything except PS4.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
December
Quinn
AG
Can I download SNES & N64 games to play on the Switch? I saw they are releasing arcade games, but I'm more interested in past systems' games.
Pman17
AG
Quinn said:

Can I download SNES & N64 games to play on the Switch? I saw they are releasing arcade games, but I'm more interested in past systems' games.
Nobody knows if Nintendo will actually bring back the Virtual Console. I don't think we will see anything till June if they do. If you would ask Nintendo to play SNES games on the Switch, they would say go buy a SNES Classic or 3DS.
GetThoseKeysMilo
This is just really odd.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/11/l-a-noire-is-too-big-to-download-to-a-standard-switch/
Pman17
AG
LA Noire required a disc installation for consoles for what I can remember. Nintendo also charges the devs more for bigger sized game cards. With the read speeds, some of it probably needs to be installed on the SD Card for performance.
JBAggie00
Will LA Noire have anything new? I already finished it on Xbox 360.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Rumor that Zelda DLC 2 drops 11/23.
agfan2013
AG
Saw a poll on another message board I read frequently that I'd like to ask over here just to see the results. I assume that most of us Switch owners have at least the two big 1st party titles that have released for it. So which you do you think is a better game, BotW or Odyssey?

Im for Odyssey.

BotW was a great game in itself, but I just didnt like that there werent any true dungeons like the old games. And while the main map was huge, I felt it was almost too big and could have been shrunk down to make for a tighter experience when exploring between areas. And like many, I hate the breakable weapon system and the inventory over management that comes with it.

While Odyssey isnt perfect either and I wish it had a little bit more platforming sections like 3D world, I just find it incredibly fun to search out all the power moons and use the hat capture ability to control enemies. I never felt that compelled to hunt out the korok seeds in BotW. So Mario gets my vote.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It's such a tough question. They're my two favorite franchises of all time, and both games are utter masterpieces. Odyssey may the best Mario game ever. It's a perfect mix of nostalgia, with new and fresh gameplay mechanics, and gives that true sandbox feeling from SM64/Sunshine. It's basically "Mario's Greatest Hits" wrapped up within an entirely new game.

But...

BotW is just so damn good. Ocarina of Time is hands down my favorite game of all time and this game nearly toppled it. If there was a BIT more story and maybe more elaborate dungeons (the ones we do get are amazing, but too short), it would be my favorite Zelda game ever. But, it's still a 10/10 but just below OoT for me.

All that to say, I think BotW narrowly edges out Odyssey for me, however I've still not finished Odyssey. My opinion may change once I do.
Jim01
AG
I'm not done with Odyssey so that might affect my vote but right now I'd go with BotW. Zelda is my favorite franchise off all time hands down. It's the only reason I bought a GameCube or a Wii.

Quote:

I never felt that compelled to hunt out the korok seeds in BotW

The main problem with the Korok seeds is there were TOO MANY. It seemed way too long a task. I did hunt down all the shrines, but I agree I had NO desire to find all the seeds. Not sure how many moons there will end up being on Odyssey, but breaking them up in the worlds makes it seem like not as big a task.
jakelew04
AG
Would y'all recommend the Switch as a Christmas present for a 6 year old? We don't currently have any video games in the house, but he loves playing Mario on the Wii at his cousin's house.

Any game recommendations?
Pman17
AG
Get him a Switch and Mario Odyssey. Put on a glass screen protector, Switch screens are delicate plastic.
tamusc
AG
Pman17 said:

Get him a Switch and Mario Odyssey. Put on a glass screen protector, Switch screens are delicate plastic.

I'd add MarioKart to that a well.
Pman17
AG
Black Friday Sales coming on games.

Notable Ones
Fifa 18 $30 at Walmart
NBA 2K18 $30 at Walmart
Mario + Rabbids $30 at Walmart

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitchDeals/comments/7b742o/master_list_of_switch_deals_for_black_friday_2017/
Pman17
AG
Hulu is live for Switch
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/11/nintendo-shows-confidence-in-switch-with-record-setting-production-plans/

Nintendo ramping up production; Plans to have shipped 50M units by end of next [fiscal] year.
Jim01
AG
I was in Best Buy Thursday night and they had about 100 Switchs behind the checkout counter. I guess they aren't that hard to find anymore.
Pman17
AG
Yea, the demand dropped but I think it'll pick up pace when people start to notice Switches out in the wild. Did y'all see Doom running on the Switch? If Bethesda really nails Skyrim and Wolfenstein, we're gonna see a lot of cool stuff coming out. Praying Activision will do something like bring Modern Warfare to the Switch or something. Ubisoft says they'll have more games in the works. Pokemon will really boost sales when it comes out.
testosterbone
AG
Think I will snag Doom today.
Not a Bot
AG
PSA for anyone buying a Switch:

Do NOT waste your money on the Nintendo brand microSD card. They are incredibly overpriced. If you need to expand the storage, just check the specs that you need and buy a traditional microSD card. They use an open storage standard, you do not need their brand. The problem is if you go to almost any store The Nintendo brand cards will be right next to all of the games and people think they have to have that brand. They charge 3 times the price of the exact same card you can get a few aisles over in the computer section.
jr15aggie
AG
Out of town at a hotel and my cousin brought his switch. Pretty cool system as a hand held and also hooking it up to a TV.

Graphics and gameplay are really incredible considering it's really just a tablet with no cooling fans etc you see in modern systems.

I'll probably never get one, but good stuff.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
http://money.cnn.com/2017/10/30/technology/nintendo-switch-sales-earnings/index.html?es_p=5358763
Pman17
AG
Rocket League!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Pman17
AG
Tough decision between the two. I'm going with Zelda just because you get more hours than Odyssey and is more challenging than Odyssey.
Pman17
AG
Pman17 said:

Rocket League!
Rocket League plays well. Surprised at the downgrade in res for handheld mode, I think they have a ton of room to optimize in graphics compared to other games.
3rdGen2015
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Based on those nominees, Zelda and Mario deserve to go 1-2 in my eyes. The order depends on your personal preference. For me, Mario gets the nod. Even after a week "cooldown" after 100% completing Odyssey, it's still my favorite game of all time.

All-in-all, Nintendo has had its best year since the Wii released. Major props to them.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Pman17 said:

Tough decision between the two. I'm going with Zelda just because you get more hours than Odyssey and is more challenging than Odyssey.
Pretty much same. But both are 10/10 games.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.