*****Nintendo Switch Thread*****

99,676 Views | 749 Replies | Last: 14 days ago by Jimmy McNulty
Pman17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Figured I'd make an actual thread for this.
Post if you've got any questions.

Share your friend codes here!

Friend Codes
Pman17 5076-1544-9029
The Fife 7764-7067-0117
tfunk02 5263-0475-3910
TonsterPS 7689-5287-5871

Pman17
AG
Yesterday's Nintendo Direct

Key Points
  • Classic Games are coming at the end of this month starting with Mario Bros this is more like Nintendo Arcade games coming to the switch, but gives hope for Virtual Console on the horizon.
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2
  • Square Enix's Octopath Traveler Free Demo
  • Fire Emblem Warriors new character
  • Next Zelda DLC Amibos with special armor
  • Kirby 25th Anniversary
  • Splatoon 2 will continue to get new stuff
  • Skyrim Release Date 111717
  • Bethesda is bringing the latest Doom and Wolfenstein II to the Switch
  • Rocket League exclusive cars
  • Arms .3 update
  • New Worlds in Mario Odyssey (this game is freakin huge!)
  • Mario Odyssey Switch Console Bundle with Red JoyCons and a red carrying case
  • Games Games Games Games Games Games Games Games Games Games Games Games Games Games Games...........They keep coming!

3rdGen2015
AG
I am so excited for Odyssey. October 27 needs to get here sooner.
agfan2013
AG
Super excited for Odyssey as well, love 3D Mario games. Actually just bought Mario 64 as I still have a working N64 and never played through the whole game back in the day and wanted something to pass time until some good games start coming out in Oct and Nov.

I'll try to remember to add my friend code down the road one evening. I've got Mario kart and BotW right now and that's it. Looking to add odyssey and splatoon 2 this year and maybe some smaller indie stuff as well.
3rdGen2015
AG
I took a summer session at A&M one year and I went back to 64 to get all 120 stars. It took a few weeks, but it was definitely worth it. Great game outside of the terrible camera controls.
Javelina
AG
Finally got my hands on one. Can't wait to dig into Zelda.
dtkprowler
AG
Javelina said:

See you in a few weeks...
AggieChemE09
AG
Javelina said:

I am in the middle of Zelda right now. Absolutely incredible game. My progress has slowed as of late since my wife wants to watch me play it since she is invested in it now as well.
koadie
AG
AggieChemE09 said:

Javelina said:

I am in the middle of Zelda right now. Absolutely incredible game. My progress has slowed as of late since my wife wants to watch me play it since she is invested in it now as well.
I keep waiting on this from my wife in any video game

Eph: 2:8
AggieChemE09
AG
littlebrotherag said:

AggieChemE09 said:

Javelina said:

She followed "The Last of Us" all the way through too
koadie
AG
No need to rub it in. (kidding) That's awesome though. She actually did watch the first level of Destiny 2 before she fell asleep and wanted to know what happened.

She has since been a bit curious by things.

Eph: 2:8
millertyme
AG
AggieChemE09 said:

littlebrotherag said:

AggieChemE09 said:

Javelina said:

She followed "The Last of Us" all the way through too
My wife enjoyed watching me play the Uncharted Series. Only because she said that Nathan Drake was cute.
Silky Johnston
I have been on a Zelda kick lately after losing interest the last couple of months. Really enjoy the game and often lose track of how long I have been playing.

I am looking forward to NBA2K18 coming out tomorrow as I would love a robust sports game that could be played anywhere. I am really hoping that they will eventually come out with Madden or some sort of football game.
dtkprowler
AG
Still holding out for Mario Maker 2
dtkprowler
AG
SPullig
sorry to hijack the thread but we just got one with Mario Kart for my son for Christmas. He is 6 and has started playing sky landers and the Leto games on my old Xbox. What other games should I look at getting him? Here are the ones we know

Splatoon 2
Mario
Zelda (more for the wife)
???

Javelina
AG
The one I bought is a gift for all the boys in my house. I've also purchased Mario Kart, Mario Kingdom Battle, Mario Odyssey, and Pokmon Tournament (my kids are Pokmon junkies). Those are all for the boys who are 6 and 9. Zelda is mostly for me. I'll dabble in the other games, but I've played every console version of Zelda since I was a child and I've been looking forward to Breath of the Wild since the first bits started showing up. I'll also buy some of the digital downloads like Shovel Knight and Sonic that are $20 each and get great reviews. I don't know if I'll bother with downloads of Nintendo's old games since I have most everything covered on my Raspberry Pi.

I've already preordered Kirby, Yoshi, and Metroid (again for me) because I am pretty sure they will be instant classics. I'm on the fence about Skyrim, but I'm probably going to pass. I've already bought the game enough times.

I don't know what to think about the Amiibo though. Anybody have any insight on if there's any value there?
CubbieAggie
AG
dtkprowler said:

Biggest thing missing from the switch for me. Hopefully they work on it after Odyssey comes out.
Pman17
AG
In reply to Javelina

I buy the physical copies on Amazon if they're available. Prime gives you a significant discount. Whatever isn't physically available I download. Sometimes the physical copy can be discouraging to developers because there's a Nintendo Tax depending on the size of the game. I would have gone all download but 256GB MicroSD's are expensive. It'll be easy to share games with the cartridges.

Amiibos have NFC chips in them that drop special items in games when you place them near the Switch. They're not necessary though. Some allow you to save information to them like game saves I think. Depends on the game. I think they're just a way for Nintendo to make more money. Think TY Beanie Babies. And yes, they do go up in value as some are made in limited quantities. There's a way around this though, you can actually make your own amiibos by programing NFC chips with a tool and spoof the Switch into thinking it's a real Amiibo. People on Etsy sell NFC Amiibo trading cards for $5 per card vs $15 per Amiibo.
Bryan98
AG
AggieChemE09 said:

Javelina said:

Hey, congrats on getting married!

My wife has spent more time playing Breath of the Wild than anyone else in my house. We've all played it a ton - me, her, and the 8 and 5 year olds. She finished it one day before I did and has gotten all the shrines as well. Maybe all the quests, too. I'm nowhere near that, but I also play other games.
AggieChemE09
AG
Bryan98 said:

AggieChemE09 said:

Javelina said:

Hey, congrats on getting married!

My wife has spent more time playing Breath of the Wild than anyone else in my house. We've all played it a ton - me, her, and the 8 and 5 year olds. She finished it one day before I did and has gotten all the shrines as well. Maybe all the quests, too. I'm nowhere near that, but I also play other games.
Nice!

I am trying to get all the shrines I can but unfortunately, my wife won't let me cheat and use google and is somehow convinced that I will find them all my self... It looks like I will be disappointing her once again.
Bryan98
AG
I want to get them all without using the internet, and Hero's Path will help, but ever since I finished I've moved on to other games. I put a lot of time into Shadow of Mordor, Bloodborne, and now I'm working on Destiny 2. Very much behind in D2, thanks in large part to our first floor flooding a couple weeks ago. Fortunately things have settled down enough to get back to gaming most nights.
Post removed:
by user
Pman17
AG

Guess they're easy to find now.
SPullig
Which was-mart or target is that
agfan2013
AG
Yep, have been through several Walmart's and targets the last month in central Texas (and particularly B/CS) and seen stock sitting in their Nintendo counters. Online too, Walmart and GameStop have had just base console packages stay in stock for over an hour multiple times, it's still hard to catch it on Amazon but you can get it other places more easily now.

Now is the time to buy if you're still wanting one and haven't gotten it yet, I'm guessing scarcity will go back up as we approach the holiday rush.
SPullig
Yeah, we got one a few weeks ago for my sons christmas. Just had to ask
Sazerac
AG
Is the Switch the best option for a 10yr old to play Mario Cart?

Anyone have the steering wheel controller?

Bryan98
AG
cclearman said:

Is the Switch the best option for a 10yr old to play Mario Cart?

Anyone have the steering wheel controller?

Absolutely. Only real choice.

I have never used any steering wheel stuff. My eight and five year old play Mario Kart with normal controls.
Pman17
AG
SPullig said:

Which was-mart or target is that
Galveston Target
Pman17
AG
In stock on Amazon with Prime shipping
Nintendo Switch - Neon Blue and Red Joy-Con https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MUAGZ49/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_wwz0zb52C87JV
Pman17
AG
I put my iPad on eBay and pre-ordered the Mario Odyssey Switch. Don't use my iPad anymore. GF gets mad when I take the switch to work. Haha
Sazerac
AG
if you buy the games as cartridge (not digital) and you only have a few games will you ever need to buy an SD card?

Silky Johnston
You should be good. Most games require space on your console for game saves, but it shouldn't add to more than the console capacity. NBA2K18 needs something like 6GB of space that has to be on the console and can\t be saved to an SD card. That is on top of the 28GB file size.
Pman17
AG
Update 4.0 is here.

Hold down the capture button to record 30 second videos.
Profiles and game saves can now be transferred to another console.
Pre-Purchases now available in eShop
New Profile Photos

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.