Apple iPhone Event 2017

30,939 Views | 440 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by WES2006AG
khkman22
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

Not a new phone, but after the IOS update, I am getting a nag screen about the no activity during driving or whatever it is called. Is there a way to turn that screen off? I set it the first time to not set that up but it came back again. I'm not going to like having to deal with that every day or two.

I don't need a nanny (unless she's hot).
I had it pop up right after upgrading and once a day or so later, but nothing since. It may not pop up anymore if those were the only two times it happened.
khkman22
AG
Javelina said:

Iphone 8 is a screamer.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/iphone-8-benchmarks-fastest-phone,review-4676.html
Yeah, based off of what I've seen and people's reviews on here, I may have to think about the 8 instead of the 7 because if I wanted to keep it for three years, I think the 8 would show very little performance decrease as compared to the 7, which would be four years old by that point.
Charlie Delta
Who here is holding out for the iPhone X?

Is it worth getting over the 8?
jtmoney03
AG
The 8 plus is ridiculously fast and a MAJOR upgrade from the 6 plus that I came from. My plan was to give it a test run and think about if the X was enough to make me give this to the wife and preorder the X next month. Right now, I'm just not sure. I know the X will be the size of the 8 but the screen of a 8 plus, but my hands have gotten so used to the size of the plus, that the 8 feels so small. Maybe I'll hold out and see if they do a plus size or something comparable next year.
Brick Tamland
I've read rumors that they'll do a X and X plus next year, a la Galaxy S and Galaxy Note (but released at the same time and not 6 months apart)
WES2006AG
AG
Brick Tamland said:

I've read rumors that they'll do a X and X plus next year, a la Galaxy S and Galaxy Note (but released at the same time and not 6 months apart)

Wonder if the X Plus will have a $1200 starting price tag?
Diet Cokehead
AG
Probably
Charlie Delta
The thing that bugs me about the X is that notch at the top of the screen. When you play video and it is zoomed out to not fill the notch area, are you sacrificing the ability to watch the videos at their full resolution?
62strat
AG
ONE-TWO-- said:

I have a feeling Verizon and others will do a trade-in promo like they did last year if sales aren't what they expected. It would be pretty sweet to get a new iPhone for the cheap cheap.
I still have 12 free monthly credits on my 7,so if I went in for a trade in, I'd have to pay off the balance. I wonder how many others would show up for a promo like this thinking they'd turn in a 7 that isn't even paid for yet!

I'll continue with my monthly credits
degreedy
AG
That is a good question. Did the demo show the phone playing video? Were there black bars on either side of the notch?

I feel like that would bother the hell out of me.
Brick Tamland
The video goes full screen around the notch. The reviewers of it say you end up not even seeing it if you're focused on the video. Probably why the face of both X models is black.
Charlie Delta
My question is more about losing pixels to display the full resolution. The phone will put black bars around the notch, but does that mean you can't view the video at pixel perfect resolution?
easttexasaggie04
AG
I have a 6s Plus and I'm holding out for the X. My phone performs fine so I'm in no huge rush to get a new phone, so I might as well wait. If the X gets negative reviews I'll just get an 8 Plus.
evan_aggie
AG
Brick Tamland said:

Not earth shattering, but I like it a lot for the most part.

I like how when my music is playing, the controls will show up on my watch.

I don't like the new app switcher. Wish it had gone horizontally like before, but with the vertical swipe to close the app.

The Siri face is my favorite part of the new OS.

Yes, the music controller is a nice touch. It used to drive me insane not being able to skip spotify songs while using my BT earbuds.
Brick Tamland
Even better is the new list view instead of the honeycomb of circles. Force press your app menu and you can change it to a list
hatchback
AG
Is anyone experiencing overheating with their 8+ on a regular basis? When holding the device in my hand, the upper right corner of he back - just below the camera - gets very warm and the screen dims for about 5 minutes before the phone cools down.
Javelina
WES2006AG
AG
hatchback said:

Is anyone experiencing overheating with their 8+ on a regular basis? When holding the device in my hand, the upper right corner of he back - just below the camera - gets very warm and the screen dims for about 5 minutes before the phone cools down.

Haven't experienced this. Sounds like you may need a trip to the Apple Store.
jtmoney03
AG
I also have not experienced that issue with my 8+.
hatchback
AG
Things seem to have calmed down after closing a bunch of apps in the background and restarting the phone. Hopefully this isn't a regular issue...
jtmoney03
AG
On another note, I've had multiple people tell me that my phone calls from the watch are just as, if not clearer, than from my phone. That's interesting. It seems to be blocking out more of the ambient noise than the phone does.
Charpie
AG
I freaking used my watch to get on my plane to Detroit this afternoon. I love texting by scribbling. I love my 8+ battery life compared to my 7+.
Brick Tamland
Texting by scribbling is the best reason to have an Apple Watch
easttexasaggie04
AG
OK I just got the new Apple Watch Version 3 with data. This is my first Apple Watch (coming from a Garmin 920XT). Do you guys recommend a good Apple Watch 101 video I can watch so get up to speed? Right now the watch is syncing with my phone.
Brick Tamland
Nice! I recommend just playing around with the settings from the phone app and force pressing every screen on your watch to see what the options are.
degreedy
AG
What Charpie said... I can't wait for the 8+ battery life.

My 6+ has to be plugged in every 3 hours or so.
k20dub
AG
Not sure about a video but the app "Sports Alerts" is the best app for the watch for getting scores.
easttexasaggie04
AG
I'm still learning the ropes on my first Apple Watch. I'm having errors with both Instagram and twitter on the watch. Instagram says connection error and twitter just glitches and goes back to ap screen.
TexAgsAnon
Lots of reports of static in the earpiece during calls, which i'm experiencing around half of my calls on the 8+. Cool stuff.
k20dub
AG
Just read, Apple confirmed they're working on a fix for it. Still sad for a $800 phone.
tamusc
AG
k20dub said:

Just read, Apple confirmed they're working on a fix for it. Still sad for a $800 phone.
Yep, at least it's apparently something that can be fixed with a software update.
91AggieLawyer
AG
11.0.1 is out. I haven't had any issues that I know of but updating anyway.

On the phone app, the whole "Recents" and other headers look incredibly cheap. Reminds me of the default Microsoft Word Table of Contents formatting.
easttexasaggie04
AG
Coming from a Garmin I was very skeptical how well the Apple Watch would perform as a running watch. I was very pleasantly surprised with my first run this morning. It syncs seemlessly with Strava and the HR monitor did great. I fear the battery life won't hold up for a long run but anything short will be fine.
Aggietaco
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

11.0.1 is out. I haven't had any issues that I know of but updating anyway.

On the phone app, the whole "Recents" and other headers look incredibly cheap. Reminds me of the default Microsoft Word Table of Contents formatting.
Agreed. I feel like I'm using a jitterbug.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.