******** Dallas Cowboys 2020 Season ********

129,945 Views | 1905 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Kashchei
MooreTrucker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Agristotle said:

I guess some quarterbacks never make it all the way back after a serious injury.
huh?
Agristotle
AG
Just meant Wentz' deterioration makes me concerned about giving Dak a Wentz like contract.
ChemAg15
AG
The cowboys issues begin with the front office. We have paid the wrong players and neglected other positions because of it. My attitude is that if we're going to struggle, I might as well like who the QB is. I hope Dak gets his contract regardless if it works out like Wentz.
MooreTrucker
AG
Agristotle said:

Just meant Wentz' deterioration makes me concerned about giving Dak a Wentz like contract.
Giving him that contract, seeing how fragile he is, was a mistake. How many full seasons has Wentz played?
Saint Pablo
Agristotle said:

I think that the issues Wentz has are between the ears. Dak's makeup seems different, I don't see the dude being rattled. It seems like he is mentally tough.
Agristotle
AG
Fair points, I hope y'all are right because Dak is going to get paid. I just hope there is some hometown discount baked in.
BenFiasco14
AG
I've kinda half checked out at this point - watching nfl only for fantasy purposes. Are the cowboys mathematically eliminated at this point?
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
jtstanley4621
AG
Never felt like Wentz was going to be an elite QB. Eagles had a pretty good o-line for a while during the beginning of his career. His biggest calling card is his size and athleticism, not necessarily his ability to play QB between the ears
jtstanley4621
AG
ChemAg15 said:

The cowboys issues begin with the front office. We have paid the wrong players and neglected other positions because of it. My attitude is that if we're going to struggle, I might as well like who the QB is. I hope Dak gets his contract regardless if it works out like Wentz.

Dak was lighting it up before his injury. If you assume that he can fully recover from the injury, his career numbers definitely deserve the contract
MooreTrucker
AG
BenFiasco14 said:

I've kinda half checked out at this point - watching nfl only for fantasy purposes. Are the cowboys mathematically eliminated at this point?
Mathematically, no. Realistically, yes.
TheCougarHunter
AG
There goes Sewell...
Grapesoda2525
TheCougarHunter said:

There goes Sewell...
Yeah I'm thinking we need to trade down now and get a bunch of picks to help the team across the board.

There is no monster defensive end in this years draft class and no outstanding bad ass defender either.
PooDoo
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

Never felt like Wentz was going to be an elite QB. Eagles had a pretty good o-line for a while during the beginning of his career. His biggest calling card is his size and athleticism, not necessarily his ability to play QB between the ears

I'll be interested to see if the Colts try to sign Wentz after the Eagles eventually cut him.
Danny Phantom
This draft is pretty deep at OL so I doubt we would of picked Sewell with all the help we need on defense. I hope we end up in front of a QB needy team & right now we're at #5 in front of the panthers.
Ag Natural
AG
I dont see how you could justify drafting an OL in round one anyway. Smith, Collins and Martin will all be back. Plus we have invested high picks in Williams and McGovern. There is a boat load of cap space tied up in the position.

If we end up picking around 10, I'm thinking they either go DL or CB. It would be real interesting if Kyle Pitts is still around as well. I think he's the next superstar TE.
Danny Vermin
Tight End , like wide receiver,
Is a waste of a draft pick no matter what round. We have two very good ones and Blake Bell should be resigned pretty cheap. If we have 7 picks in the first 5 rounds they should all be Defensive.
Southlake
Hated to win today. With Philadelphia and Redskins winning, made it tougher to win the division and we went down in the draft with a win.
Ag Natural
AG
Ag Natural said:

I dont see how you could justify drafting an OL in round one anyway. Smith, Collins and Martin will all be back. Plus we have invested high picks in Williams and McGovern. There is a boat load of cap space tied up in the position.

If we end up picking around 10, I'm thinking they either go DL or CB. It would be real interesting if Kyle Pitts is still around as well. I think he's the next superstar TE.

Position of need is a tie breaker. Pitts is a game changer. So unless there is a defensive game changer available you should still take him.

According to most mock drafts the two highest rated defenders are Micah Parsons (a big LB from PSU) and Rousseau (edge rusher from Miami). Both of those guys opted out this year.
DannyDuberstein
AG
The tradedown takes 2 to tango. I'm not sure outside of the 2 QB's that there will be many interested in giving up a lot to move up in to top part of this draft.
Danny Phantom
If for some reason we go offense I would much rather have waddle or smith over Pitts. I think waddle will have a tyreke hill level impact in the NFL
Grapesoda2525
Southlake said:

Hated to win today. With Philadelphia and Redskins winning, made it tougher to win the division and we went down in the draft with a win.
This is probably the only year in cowboys history where you shouldn't want them to win the division.

Going to the playoffs would kill any chances of getting a good draft pick and it would likely be a first round matchup with Tom Brady while the cowboys are missing dak and their entire offensive line.

Winning the division just isn't worth it this year. We need to focus on rebuilding this team and getting people healthy for next year. Resign dak and give it another go.
gigem1223
Southlake said:

Nope. Pick stays the same. Still pick number 4
Macarthur
DannyDuberstein said:

The tradedown takes 2 to tango. I'm not sure outside of the 2 QB's that there will be many interested in giving up a lot to move up in to top part of this draft.
Well, I think Wilson at BYU is right there w the two consensus QBs. I think there is a very strong possibility someone could want to move to 4 and grab their QB.
jr15aggie
AG
Will be interesting to see if the year off will help Tyron. Sometimes a long reset can bring a couple solid/healthy years.

Would be nice if we could finish out his contract, which is more than reasonable cap wise. We really need our early picks for defense.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Maybe. Hopefully he'll show in offseason workouts for teams. I feel like that CCU game wore some of the shine off of him, at least as far as being top 5-10 worthy. But maybe somebody will be desperate
jr15aggie
AG
Because we didn't expected to draft this high going into the season, we feel ripped off if there isn't an Aaron Donald sitting there. But there are plenty of really good top 10 rated defenders in this draft. If our scouts/GM does their job we should find someone to improve our D.

At the very least, according to early player rankings, there will be a worthy LB or CB and both are needs.
Grapesoda2525
jr15aggie said:

Because we didn't expected to draft this high going into the season, we feel ripped off if there isn't an Aaron Donald sitting there. But there are plenty of really good top 10 rated defenders in this draft. If our scouts/GM does their job we should find someone to improve our D.

At the very least, according to early player rankings, there will be a worthy LB or CB and both are needs.
There are good defenders, but the complaint is nobody is a flat out stud like some of the players the redskins got the last few years while they drafted up around this spot. All the players we can take will have flaws. You really do want a sure thing especially in the top 5 of the draft.
jr15aggie
AG
I completely agree.... but I also remember when Mo Claiborne was a sure thing can't miss stud. And that wasn't a miss by the Cowboys scouts, everybody thought that.

Draft the best one and coach 'em.
Nagler
AG
jr15aggie said:

I completely agree.... but I also remember when Mo Claiborne was a sure thing can't miss stud. And that wasn't a miss by the Cowboys scouts, everybody thought that.

Draft the best one and coach 'em.

Claiborne also got a 4 on the wonderlic. That should've been a red flag, I don't care what position you play.
Macarthur
Yeah, there is Parsons and a couple of corners that are very good, but not an impact front 4 guy that you hope for when you draft this high so infrequently.
Ag Natural
AG
I was bored last night and did a little research. I looked up the top DTs in the league and where they were drafted.

Aaron Donald (7th)
Chris Jones (37th)
Fletcher Cox (12th)
Grady Jarrett (137th)
Cam Heyward (31st)
Kenny Clark (27th)

I view this position as a huge differentiator and something the Dallas defense has lacked for a very long time. Obviously the brass thought so as well bringing in two FAs this year (who didn't work out). So looking at this small list of top guys its interesting that almost all of them were drafted in the 1st round or early 2nd. But nobody is spending top 5 picks either.
Danny Phantom
I wouldn't be opposed to signing Suh &/or Gerald McCoy to a 1 year deal this offseason. Then draft a DT that's 6'4+ with long arms that can stop the run. Bobby brown in the 2nd if he declares?
birdman
There might not be a lead pipe cinch in the top 5. That doesn't matter. If you pick the best or second best defensive lineman, you've got a stud. He may not end up Randy White, but he should start for a decade.
PooDoo
AG
Danny Phantom said:

I wouldn't be opposed to signing Suh &/or Gerald McCoy to a 1 year deal this offseason. Then draft a DT that's 6'4+ with long arms that can stop the run. Bobby brown in the 2nd if he declares?

Hasn't Brown had a hard time staying healthy?

I'd avoid any college kid that has a history of missing games due to injury in the first 3 rounds.
Danny Phantom
Idk of any injuries he's had outside of when he got banged up after celebrating a sack. Just missed one game in all of his A&M career.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.