******* Dallas Cowboys 2020 offseason thread *********

192,751 Views | 2298 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by dc509
Slamn Sharpe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bobcat06 said:

McDadeTXAggie said:

dave94 said:

McDadeTXAggie said:

Bingo Bango Bongo said:

Dak and his agent are betting on a future market vs coming to an agreement aligned with the current one, which absent covid is probably a safe bet. But we'll see what impact covid has on revenue and the cap. They want him back on the market sooner because it's been crazy favorable for qb's.

I'm ready for Dallas to move on from Dak
That's a ridiculous take.

Is it?
2015 says it is

Laugh/cry

Many months ago he and Jerry had a handshake deal in which Jerry said within a few days it would be printed, signed, and delivered. So much has happened since then but signing a contract wasnt one of them.

The NFL draft came
Dak continues to drive his price up
Dak's brother tweets he doesnt like the Cowboys and will struggle to root for them next season. What does this mean? Dak is pissed at Jerry, or he knows his brother wont stay in Dallas.

If for some reason they sign Dak, how are they going to afford to put talent around him??

Yeah... tell me how this is ridiculous again

2015? Lol, its 2020!!!
MooreTrucker
AG
Well, you go have a point with the 2020 thing. This year sucks.
dave94
AG
McDadeTXAggie said:

dave94 said:

McDadeTXAggie said:

Bingo Bango Bongo said:

Dak and his agent are betting on a future market vs coming to an agreement aligned with the current one, which absent covid is probably a safe bet. But we'll see what impact covid has on revenue and the cap. They want him back on the market sooner because it's been crazy favorable for qb's.

I'm ready for Dallas to move on from Dak
That's a ridiculous take.

Is it?

Yes, how can anyone think the best move is to bail on your starting QB, getting nothing in return (no one is going to trade, they'll wait for the Cowboys to franchise him again or outright let him walk in your crazy scenario)?

And then what? Hope to draft the next Pat Mahomes and hope that he can develop fast enough to use the current roster during their primes?

Do you remember how hard it is to find "the guy"?!? You have to ride with Dak and hope that his previous good years are the norm, which I think they are.
Bobcat06
AG
Quote:

Do you remember how hard it is to find "the guy"?
He doesn't like you mentioning 2015 since that isn't today.

Some franchises get stuck in a rut searching for "the guy" for multiple decades.
ac04
people who don't like dak are almost always the same people who failed to appreciate romo and who seem to have blocked every spare we ran in here between aikman and romo out of their memory.
Slamn Sharpe
Bobcat06 said:

Quote:

Do you remember how hard it is to find "the guy"?
He doesn't like you mentioning 2015 since that isn't today.

Some franchises get stuck in a rut searching for "the guy" for multiple decades.

What does 2015 have to do with Dak? Are yall comfortable dumping truck loads of money on a guy that doesnt wanna play for Dallas? He's demanding money that's going to make it very challenging to sign the much needed talent to make them a SB contender. He doesnt deserve Patrick Mahomes-type money. He's not considered a top 10 QB by most
MooreTrucker
AG
The Cowboys between Aikman and Romo, for example. Quincy Carter, anyone?
Agristotle
AG
Dak's not terrible, he's quite good against the bad teams, but that's not enough to pay him like he's a difference maker, because he's not. He has really good talent around him and still couldn't generate enough offense in the big games to win a weak division. Let him win something this year and sign a reasonable contract or let's move on. If $100 million plus guaranteed is not enough, he doesn't want to win in Dallas.
Slamn Sharpe
Agristotle said:

Dak's not terrible, he's quite good against the bad teams, but that's not enough to pay him like he's a difference maker, because he's not. He has really good talent around him and still couldn't generate enough offense in the big games to win a weak division. Let him win something this year and sign a reasonable contract or let's move on. If $100 million plus guaranteed is not enough, he doesn't want to win in Dallas.

That's the thing! I get th arguments being made about finding "the guy" and how important a franchise QB is. The problem is, if you dump what he's asking, you're left with a good QB, not a great one, and trying to find guys that are willing to sign "team first" type contracts. I don't see this working out, as far as long term success goes. I think another cycle starts of either not being quite good to make the playoffs or a 1-and-done postseason till he retires.
Slamn Sharpe
ac04 said:

people who don't like dak are almost always the same people who failed to appreciate romo and who seem to have blocked every spare we ran in here between aikman and romo out of their memory.

Romo was good, he wasn't great.
Dak is good, he's not great.

I think if Dallas signs him for the money he's demanding he will win just as many Super Bowls as Romo did.
Trucker 96
He's around the 10th best qb in the league. You are nothing without him so you pay him. You keep trying to find one in the 4th or 5th round. Hit the jackpot again and you get back to a cheap qb. Until then, you pay him crazy $$$ because thats what it takes to not suck ass and why even meh qb's make crazy $$$
Bobcat06
AG
In 2014, Dallas was on fire. Winning 12 games and upsetting the Superbowl Champs on the road. Dallas had a legit chance to go to the Superbowl if Green Bay refs knew what a catch was.

In 2015, Dallas had a loaded roster but cycled thru an endless parade of former starting QBs. As a result, we won 4 games. Of the 12 games without Romo, the replacements combined for 1 win.

In 2016, we took largely the same roster and a rookie Dak won 12 games.

It's real easy to think that you can replace your starting quarterback, until it comes time do so.
Bobcat06
AG
MooreTrucker said:

Exactly. Dallas was looking at spending a decade wandering thru a series of journeyman and becoming the next Cleveland.

To quote Jerrah, "Romo was a miracle"
dc509
AG
MooreTrucker said:

What was really rough about those years was that Quicy Carter might have been the best of the bunch scrubs we trotted out.

If we part ways with Dak we don't get to replace him with Pat Mahomes. Luckily, I think he's the guy we need.
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
Dak couldn't find a way to beat the Jets or the Eagles last year. Yes, Garrett sucked, but Dak of Nazareth should have been able to compensate for this against those two horrible teams.
MooreTrucker
AG
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace said:

Dak couldn't find a way to beat the Jets or the Eagles last year. Yes, Garrett sucked, but Dak of Nazareth should have been able to compensate for this against those two horrible teams.
LOL because Dak has total autonomy in play calling and making sure everyone else on the field performs as needed every play.
Trucker 96
We'll find out this year (if covid will allow). This offense is loaded with weapons. No Garrett. Not the worst thing ever to see him play it under the tag.
Macarthur
Thought this was interesting.

Slamn Sharpe

Dak is also upset that Garrett was fired. Apparently it's one of the reasons he has been difficult during the whole negotiation period. I've said it before... he doesn't really wanna be there
investorAg83
AG
McDadeTXAggie said:

Dak is also upset that Garrett was fired. Apparently it's one of the reasons he has been difficult during the whole negotiation period. I've said it before... he doesn't really wanna be there

Has that been shown anywhere??
Panama Red
AG
Quote:

I've said it before... he doesn't really wanna be there

And I'm the rightful heir to the Kingdom of Zamunda
PooDoo
AG
investorAg83 said:

McDadeTXAggie said:

By the fact that he didn't sign a contract that would make him the highest paid player in the league?
jr15aggie
AG
Looks like Bosa just signed a $135 mil extension. Cowboys related because we could have done no wrong in that draft... we were either taking Zeke, Bosa, or Ramsey. Generally speaking (without looking it up) that has to be one of the most productive top 5 drafts in a long while (Goff, Wentz, Bosa, Zeke, Ramsey).

Cap related, we chose the least expensive guy to re-sign. Ramsey is still looking for a new deal, but he will get more than Zeke.
expresswrittenconsent
PooDoo said:

investorAg83 said:

McDadeTXAggie said:

By the fact that he didn't sign a contract that would make him the highest paid player in the league?

"Fact"?
Strange word choice.
You mean the deal that would have paid him the same guaranteed money as Goff and put him behind a bunch of other QBs?
Saint Pablo
Macarthur said:

Worth thinking about surrounding pieces too. Prescott has had dramatically better offensive lines and Zeke. Receiving corps are probably more comparable.
jr15aggie
AG
Saint Pablo said:

Macarthur said:

Worth thinking about surrounding pieces too. Prescott has had dramatically better offensive lines and Zeke. Receiving corps are probably more comparable.
Also worth thinking about how Watson had a defense that could turn the ball over and actually help the offense from time to time. To be honest I did not look this up, but there is no way they were anywhere close to Dallas's mental handicap with turnovers!
Ag Natural
AG
jr15aggie said:

Saint Pablo said:

Macarthur said:

Also worth thinking about how Watson had a defense that could turn the ball over and actually help the offense from time to time. To be honest I did not look this up, but there is no way they were anywhere close to Dallas's mental handicap with turnovers!
Not to mention the handicap at head coach. O'Brien has proven to be a very solid HC.

As a Cowboys fan, I love Dak. But my eyes tell me Watson is better. He is much more dynamic. My concern with him would be his durability. Dak has that going for him.
Macarthur
I would agree the Cowboys have had a better line but the phrase dramatically might be a stretch.

That Cowboys line in 16 was the last year they were really dominate. They've still been good but each year they have had key pieces missing.

And I would agree that Watson is prob a bit better, but I don't think it's by much.
Ag Natural
AG
Macarthur said:

I would agree the Cowboys have had a better line but the phrase dramatically might be a stretch.

That Cowboys line in 16 was the last year they were really dominate. They've still been good but each year they have had key pieces missing.

And I would agree that Watson is prob a bit better, but I don't think it's by much.

Yeah the Cowboys line has been overrated the couple of years. There's been serious injury problems. I do think the coaching staff has done a poor job as well. It's hard to be an effective oline when the defense always knows what is coming.
Saint Pablo
Macarthur said:

last year PFF ranked our offensive line as the fourth best in the NFL and Houston's as the 20th and that's after they added Tunsil. I do think that over their careers Dak has had the benefit of a much better OL. The difference between Zeke and their RB corps has been huge.
Agristotle
AG
Dak's not terrible, but he's very average against the good teams. There are other QBs that could put up Dak numbers with that supporting cast and some of them don't make $38 million a year. Some of them might even win a big game.
Macarthur
Agristotle said:

Dak's not terrible, but he's very average against the good teams. There are other QBs that could put up Dak numbers with that supporting cast and some of them don't make $38 million a year. Some of them might even win a big game.

Average?

PooDoo
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

PooDoo said:

investorAg83 said:

McDadeTXAggie said:

"Fact"?
Strange word choice.
You mean the deal that would have paid him the same guaranteed money as Goff and put him behind a bunch of other QBs?
5 yrs $175 million with $100 million guaranteed has been reported.
ac04
he wanted a four year deal so he could re-up sooner because the cap and QB deals both continue to explode. its the reason why every time a top 10 QB comes up for a new deal, he is either the highest paid QB or close to it. which is why dak will be among the highest paid QBs in the league when he signs a deal next off-season. and as a nice bonus, he'll be negotiating off $37 mil a year as the starting point instead of $31 mil. this worked out fine for dak, and IMO fine for dallas because they get a year of him playing with mccarthy to make sure he's the right guy.
dave94
AG
Macarthur said:

Agristotle said:

Average?

The false narrative of Dak's record against playoff teams has been debunked so many times in this thread already. EVERY starting QB has a lesser record against playoff teams. That's why they're playoff teams.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.