******* Dallas Cowboys 2020 offseason thread *********

189,319 Views | 2298 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by dc509
Saint Pablo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
He does seem like a head case, but the dude can flat out ball. One of the best safeties in the league no doubt. He'd be a clear upgrade for the Boys.
Ag Natural
AG
Cowboys need to sign him to keep him away from San Fran.
Trucker 96
We'll see if Balt can get out of paying him the $10 mill he was guaranteed this year. Otherwise, they just paid $32 million for one season and are taking a $25 million cap hit for him not to play this year. And their replacement is an injury riddled 6th rounder that hasnt played much. What a nightmare behind the scenes he must have been
gigem1223
There's an out in the contract that allows them to cut him with conduct detrimental to the team and not be out any dead money. Maybe I heard that wrong but that was my understanding from what I heard on nfl network yesterday.
BMX Bandit
Would like to hear more of that. I've never heard of an option that protects a team from the dead money penalty. That's a function of a the cap, not a contract with player.
gigem1223
Like I said I could've heard wrong. It was background noise in my garage when I was working outside.
J.P. 03
AG
Ag Natural said:

Cowboys need to sign him to keep him away from San Fran.

Don't worry. Did you miss the part where he was described as a talented head case? Jerry Jones never loses bidding wars for that type of player.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Earl Thomas seems like one of those guys that always gets linked to Dallas but never ends up in Dallas.
DTP02
AG
While I'm excited about the possibility of upgrading the S position, this has the signs of Thomas having become a player who's now in the "no go" zone of the crazy/hot matrix, which would be more of a PITA/talented matrix for athletes.
ac04
the guy can ball, IDGAF if he's insane. trying to win football games not marry him
Danny Vermin
I heard it too yesterday from some fox sports radio guy from Baltimore.
DTP02
AG
ac04 said:

the guy can ball, IDGAF if he's insane. trying to win football games not marry him

It's "football marriage", with multiple veteran teammates reportedly wanting him gone, and the team decided the juice wasn't worth the squeeze anymore. That means either he was a heckuva disruptive presence, or he was a disruptive presence who's lost a step. It takes a whole lot to have your team release you if you're any good.
Ag Natural
AG
DTP02 said:

ac04 said:

It's "football marriage", with multiple veteran teammates reportedly wanting him gone, and the team decided the juice wasn't worth the squeeze anymore. That means either he was a heckuva disruptive presence, or he was a disruptive presence who's lost a step. It takes a whole lot to have your team release you if you're any good.

Yeah its a major red flag to be unceremoniously dumped by two of the best run franchises in the league. Rumors are hes been a problem for a while in Baltimore and then this fight he got into was the last straw. Whoever signs him will demand very strong conduct language.
Trucker 96
Exactly. 2 well run franchises that also happen to know exactly what it takes fo play great defense. There are no bigger red flags. I could still see an incentive laden deal with conduct requirements. Then at best best you get 1-2 years out of him before he wears out his welcome beyond repair again. That may still be worth it. But it feels like he's decided to be the defensive version of Antonio Brown
ac04
he's going to be cheap to acquire because of all the reasons mentioned. most likely baltimore will get nothing because they blew all their leverage by letting it slip that they are moving on, so he'll move into a very team-friendly FA market and get a prove it deal. if it works he's a difference maker and if not you flush him.
Grapesoda2525
Looks like he's been released.

I'd say cmon down. Our safety play has been below average since Darren Woodson left. That's a very long time.
Southlake
5M cap hit this year and 10M next year for conduct detrimental.

Look for Jerry to have a Kumbaya understanding and personally resurrect Thomas's career.

I really don't want another Karen on this team. With the CV issues, a QB in a contract year and a new head coach, I'd pass.

But who know's?
Macarthur
Bingo Bango Bongo said:

Exactly. 2 well run franchises that also happen to know exactly what it takes fo play great defense. There are no bigger red flags. I could still see an incentive laden deal with conduct requirements. Then at best best you get 1-2 years out of him before he wears out his welcome beyond repair again. That may still be worth it. But it feels like he's decided to be the defensive version of Antonio Brown

Yeah, agree. I've been on board with bringing him in, but this does not appear to be the same ET of 2017.

The only way I would be okay with this is if he came in VERY cheap and we had easy outs if he was a problem.
Southlake
Macarthur said:

Bingo Bango Bongo said:

Yeah, agree. I've been on board with bringing him in, but this does not appear to be the same ET of 2017.

The only way I would be okay with this is if he came in VERY cheap and we had easy outs if he was a problem.

Ha, your last line! I've heard that so many times about bringing projects into the fold. I actually agree with you, but he's not going to come cheap as teams can bid on him.
dc509
AG
I wouldn't mind signing him on a cheap and short image rehab deal.
Southlake
And incentive based??
Danny Phantom
Looks like randy Gregory just got reinstated.

Also we had a visit with fan favorite Brandon Carr
Southlake
6 week until RG can play
Macarthur
Southlake said:

Macarthur said:

Bingo Bango Bongo said:

Ha, your last line! I've heard that so many times about bringing projects into the fold. I actually agree with you, but he's not going to come cheap as teams can bid on him.

He may not come cheap but it's not like guys haven't signed with teams on show me types of contracts.
dc509
AG
Southlake said:

6 week until RG can play

Seriously? This absurd. Just reinstate the guy now. The NFL picks the dumbest stuff to care about.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.