******* Dallas Cowboys 2020 offseason thread *********

191,113 Views | 2298 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by dc509
Slamn Sharpe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
investorAg83 said:

McDadeTXAggie said:

Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace said:

Dak couldn't find a way to beat the Jets or the Eagles last year. Yes, Garrett sucked, but Dak of Nazareth should have been able to compensate for this against those two horrible teams.

Dak is also upset that Garrett was fired. Apparently it's one of the reasons he has been difficult during the whole negotiation period. I've said it before... he doesn't really wanna be there

Has that been shown anywhere??

I didn't even get the entire sentence typed in Google before it autofilled it for me

https://www.sportscasting.com/dak-prescott-unhappy-since-dallas-cowboys-fired-jason-garrett-according-to-a-former-coach/

Google it yourself if you want more sources. Its out there
investorAg83
AG
McDadeTXAggie said:

investorAg83 said:

McDadeTXAggie said:

Dak couldn't find a way to beat the Jets or the Eagles last year. Yes, Garrett sucked, but Dak of Nazareth should have been able to compensate for this against those two horrible teams.

Dak is also upset that Garrett was fired. Apparently it's one of the reasons he has been difficult during the whole negotiation period. I've said it before... he doesn't really wanna be there

I didn't even get the entire sentence typed in Google before it autofilled it for me

https://www.sportscasting.com/dak-prescott-unhappy-since-dallas-cowboys-fired-jason-garrett-according-to-a-former-coach/

1) nice blog
2) it's not surprising that Dak would be upset that Garrett was let go. I wish it would have worked out too and Garrett is by all accounts a good guy. But he needed to go.

You're taking an awful big leap by assuming that's why he's 'being difficult' and an even bigger leap saying he 'doesn't want to be here'.
Slamn Sharpe
investorAg83 said:

McDadeTXAggie said:

investorAg83 said:

McDadeTXAggie said:

1) nice blog
2) it's not surprising that Dak would be upset that Garrett was let go. I wish it would have worked out too and Garrett is by all accounts a good guy. But he needed to go.

You're taking an awful big leap by assuming that's why he's 'being difficult' and an even bigger leap saying he 'doesn't want to be here'.

I think he's being difficult because

1. He didn't like his former HC getting canned (look at the time line)
2. I think he's gotten a big head and either his agent or inner circle is filling his head with visions of dollar signs.
3. His inner circle never liked Dallas from the very beginning

Long story short... this feels a little bit like Kawhi Leonard. I f he truly wanted to win a Championship he would have already signed the deal that was given. It was more than fair

Nice blog? Did you catch the other 15 articles on this?
ac04
i think he's probably "being difficult" because he wants to maximize his career earnings.
Panama Red
AG
1 & 2 probably true. Its not exactly uncommon.

3 just has no basis in fact. Sorry, but it really is devoid of any semblance of logic or reality.
Bobcat06
AG
I think it's more likely that Dak has played 4 seasons at near league minimum salary while playing better than much of his competition.

As I recall, Matt Stafford made more in a quarter than Dak did in an entire season.

If I'm mind reading, Dak probably views his first real contract as needing to some extra compensation for the last 4 years, in addition to his market value going forward.

Yes, Dak is wanting more than Pat Mahomes, but Mahomes has been making $17M per year and Dak has been making $400K.
Ag Natural
AG
I heard a good interview with Mike Vick talking about Dak. They asked the question about Dak being upset about Garrett getting fired. Vick said hell yeah he's upset. You never want your coach fired. Both Dan Reeves and Andy Reid were fired on teams Vick was part of.. he was upset every time.

If Dak is upset, that's normal. He probably feels like he let JG down.. I hope he feels that way to some extent. I also hope he's done some homework on McCarthy by now. This guy has done nothing but produce high level QBs. It should be a dream scenario.

The non-skeptic part of me thinks this is just a smart business move by Dak. He gets to play a year under a new coach who has a track record of improving QB play. He gets to do it with all these weapons around him and he's technically the highest paid QB in the league for this season. If he blows up then he can ask for whatever he wants next year and Cowboys will be happy to agree.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Bobcat06 said:

I think it's more likely that Dak has played 4 seasons at near league minimum salary while playing better than much of his competition.

As I recall, Matt Stafford made more in a quarter than Dak did in an entire season.

If I'm mind reading, Dak probably views his first real contract as needing to some extra compensation for the last 4 years, in addition to his market value going forward.

Yes, Dak is wanting more than Pat Mahomes, but Mahomes has been making $17M per year and Dak has been making $400K.
Mahomes' rookie contract was 4/16, with a $10 million signing bonus. Yea, better than Dak's deal because Mahomes was a much higher pick. But he hasn't been making $17m per year.
Bobcat06
AG
Quote:

On July 20, 2017, the Chiefs signed Mahomes to a fully guaranteed four-year, $16.42 million contract that included a signing bonus of $10.08 million.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Mahomes#2017_season:_Rookie_year

Wikipedia is the best thing ever. Anyone in the world can write anything they want about any subject, so you know you are getting the best possible information. - Michael Scott
ac04
$17 mil total over 4 years. so far in his career mahomes has earned approximately $13.7MM total across 3 seasons.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Lol I just watched that office episode the other day.
Trucker 96
I don't get the concept of looking back. If you wanted to make more money in the first 4 years, have a better college career and be a higher draft pick. The market determined he was a 4th round value and he got paid that value. This isn't make-good time. This is what is fair to pay for the work to be done in 2020 and forward.
Panama Red
AG
And he's seeking to get paid his value now. Why is hay wrong?
MooreTrucker
AG
Panama Red said:

And he's seeking to get paid his value now. Why is hay wrong?
Well, for one thing, it's kinda itchy. Unless you're a horse, then it's yummy.
Trucker 96
Seems that they offered what his value is now. But he and his agent are betting on a future market being better, which is his right to make that bet.
Panama Red
AG
They offered what they think his value is. He thinks his value is more.

Do you think Dak ends up getting more from Cowboys than they last offered? I think it's a safe bet he does.
Agristotle
AG
I think whether he gets more or not depends on the season. If NFL revenues drop precipitously and Dak misses four games with an injury and doesn't set the world on fire despite his surrounding cast, I could see him settling for "less". Remember, Jane Slater reported he tried to take this deal at the last minute but had brilliantly waited too late to get the paperwork in.
Macarthur
Agristotle said:

I think whether he gets more or not depends on the season. If NFL revenues drop precipitously and Dak misses four games with an injury and doesn't set the world on fire despite his surrounding cast, I could see him settling for "less". Remember, Jane Slater reported he tried to take this deal at the last minute but had brilliantly waited too late to get the paperwork in.
Revenue drops for one year aren't going to have any significant affects on the cap.
Agristotle
AG
Actually, I think they have already agreed to spread this revenue hit to the cap over the next three seasons, so it will drop some. I just wonder if interrupting the "certainty" that salaries are going to escalate forever might make Dak decide that $100 million plus guaranteed doesn't sound that bad. Sounds like he blinked at the last second already, just in typical Dak fashion, he was a little late pulling the trigger.

I hope he is MVP of the Super Bowl and cashes in, but I just don't see it.
expresswrittenconsent
Macarthur said:

Agristotle said:

Revenue drops for one year aren't going to have any significant affects on the cap.

Was this settled in the last few days?
The cap has gone up 10mil per yr for nearly a decade, so the budget isn't set for flat, its set expecting 10mil growth. There's a potential 30mil setback for next year. The players want to spread it through 2022-2024 and the owners want to pull from this yr (2020) cap to try and offset some of next yrs shortfall.
Danny Phantom
FB olawale has opted out for the season. Rookie UDFA Sewo Olonilua from TCU could potentially take over for him. He's transitioning from RB to FB but I think he's more than capable at 6'3 240 pounds.
Trucker 96
Unless I'm missing some facts., that's kind of an odd opt-out since a 31 year old FB that decides to skip a year may never play again. But maybe he already didn't like his chances of making the roster anyway and this is a way to at least lock in $150,000
Ag Natural
AG
Bingo Bango Bongo said:

Unless I'm missing some facts., that's kind of an odd opt-out since a 31 year old FB that decides to skip a year may never play again. But maybe he already didn't like his chances of making the roster anyway and this is a way to at least lock in $150,000
I've noticed a majority of the opt-outs have been borderline players. Honestly, if you are a guy who isn't 100% sure that you'd make the team.. then taking the $150k isn't a bad play.
ac04
edited because it seems i misunderstood the $150k completely. apparently its a salary advance:

Quote:

Should a roster bubble player opt out?

Depends on the situation. The $150,000 is not free money. It is simply a salary advance that is repayable so basically it is a loan. If you wind up cut next year you will have to pay the team back that $150,000. Considering the amount of players who could opt out this year, my gut feeling is that a bubble player who might get cut this year under normal circumstances will instead make the team this year due to the roster shortage. If that is their primary concern it most likely means he should not opt out.

https://overthecap.com/the-impact-of-the-covid-rules-on-the-salary-cap-and-nfl-contracts/
Trucker 96
While it's an advance that would be deducted from their 2021 pay, I would assume that the league won't try to collect the $150,000 from anyone that doesn't make any future rosters/money.
PooDoo
AG
https://insidethestar.com/dak-prescotts-agent-todd-france-leaves-caa-impact-on-cowboys/
jr15aggie
AG
PooDoo said:

https://insidethestar.com/dak-prescotts-agent-todd-france-leaves-caa-impact-on-cowboys/

That's a regular Jerry McGuire situation right there. Stick with the agent or the agency.
ac04
gigem1223
ac04 said:

Great signing. So much depth on the DL now
TheCougarHunter
AG
That's awesome
Ag Natural
AG
Giggity
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
finally something to talk about other than dak's contract.
TheCougarHunter
AG
Great signing. This D-Line is gonna be scary good.
dc509
AG
Awesome. He's a guy I hoped we would go after.
Southlake
Jerry's press conference?

He's going to give, "Grace" during a dynamic situation?

So, kneeling during the National Anthem is going to be ok now?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.