******* Dallas Cowboys 2020 offseason thread *********

191,111 Views | 2298 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by dc509
PooDoo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wasn't Dez begging for a roster spot a few weeks ago?

lunchbox
Trucker 96
Zeke NOT having caught covid by now would be a bigger surprise
rsf0626
At least it happened now instead of August \_()_/
Iowaggie
AG
lunchbox
Iowaggie said:

His agent made it public info...so I guess his beef needs to be with him.

ETA - the agent confirmed a report that had already been written, so yeah...someone leaked it prior
Ag Natural
AG
I'm pretty sure HIPAA protections are waived as part of the CBA. How else can they make it against a the rules to NOT disclose injuries?
ramblin_ag02
AG
Ag Natural said:

I'm pretty sure HIPAA protections are waived as part of the CBA. How else can they make it against a the rules to NOT disclose injuries?
Not so sure about that. I know teams are required to list injuries, but I don't read a lot about athletes catching syphilis or gonorrhea on twitter. IIRC, it's a 50K fine for each violation, so if Zeke is mad then he can make someone pay.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
jr15aggie
AG
For all the arguments to be made about how players can make more money (sponsorships) as a Dallas Cowboy, they also put up with a lot more stupid $H!# like this because they are a Dallas Cowboy.

aggiedata
AG
Southlake
Doesn't matter. There isn't going to be a season anyway...
Ag Natural
AG
wanna bet?
PooDoo
AG
jr15aggie said:

For all the arguments to be made about how players can make more money (sponsorships) as a Dallas Cowboy, they also put up with a lot more stupid $H!# like this because they are a Dallas Cowboy.

"Yeah, stuff like this only happens to the Cowboys." -Ron Mexico
Saint Pablo

Grapesoda2525
Saint Pablo said:

We know how this goes.

Whenever there is safety talent to be had and the cowboys call, the other team looks at our safety depth chart and boosts the price higher than it would be for most other teams.

Maybe they can actually get a deal done tho with Heath not on the roster anymore.
Trucker 96
So how much do the questions about whether they are able to have a 2020 season impact getting Dak done? It's an awkward situation. Going to be a big check to write upfront when playing a season is questionable
PooDoo
AG
How much fun would it be to see Elliott's contact tracking info.
PooDoo
AG
Happy Fathers Day Dak!
Matsui
AG
Can Dallas afford Adams?
Daveintx
If Dak signs and restructures, then yes for now... but long term, no way they can afford him.......
Southlake
Who/ what would you trade to get Adams? Arguably the best defender in the league.

Next years #1 and #2 ?

Zeke? (Pollard becomes the starter)

I'm not seeing anything happening, but we're all bored here.

jr15aggie
AG
Southlake said:

Who/ what would you trade to get Adams? Arguably the best defender in the league.

Next years #1 and #2 ?

Zeke? (Pollard becomes the starter)

I'm not seeing anything happening, but we're all bored here.

As you say, we're all bored, I'll play.

Draft picks and trading don't really help because the salary cap is still the main issue.

Let's say they wanted to trade D-Law for Adams. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that won't work. Even trading Lawrence would cause a HUGE amount of dead money to hit the cap immediately.

The only real scenario I can see would be to cut bait with multiple older vets at the end of their deals... somebody like Crawford is an easy candidate. This is purely for cap purposes because I doubt any of them can be used as part of a trade. Only thing the jets want are some top draft picks (plural!). So in this scenario we are gutting our depth, acquiring another defender making top of the league money, our cap is still maxed, and our ability to acquire young/cheap talent is pretty much hopeless with the Jets owning our draft capital for the next two year.

Yeah... no thanks!
Danny Phantom
I won't get my hopes up for Adams.

Yes we can afford to trade for him & extend him, but the more he talks about it the less likely it will occur. I don't see the Jets appeasing to his demands by trading him to us (his favorite team). The only way we can get him is if we offer significantly more than other teams and we know Stephen Jones probably won't do that.
jr15aggie
AG
daniel_nieto20 said:

Yes we can afford to trade for him & extend him...

How can we afford him? I'm not calling you out, I'm curious to know your thoughts because I had the opposite impression.
Trucker 96
Not sure they can afford him to begin with, and then when you consider we may see some COVID related cap shrinkage for a year or two, I think it makes it almost impossible. To afford Adams, they needed a lot more discipline in other parts of the team - like Jaylon, Cooper, the OL, etc. and that horse has left the barn.
ramblin_ag02
AG
I get the feeling if Adams wasn't already in the AFC East then he'd be a Patriot by now.

On a related note, the salary cap hit for trades in the NFL is by far the dumbest of any sport.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Danny Phantom
jr15aggie said:

daniel_nieto20 said:

How can we afford him? I'm not calling you out, I'm curious to know your thoughts because I had the opposite impression.
Right now, according to OTC, we have roughly 11 M in cap space (I think thats off by a little). Jamal Adams would cost 7 M for this season. So for now we are clear.
Crawford, Sean Lee & HaHa contracts coming off the books in 2021 will create roughly 17 M in cap. That should be enough for Jamal Adams contract since the highest paid S is paid $14.6M a year. Also we can do the signing bonus trick on longer contracts to create cap space like we used to do when we were in actual cap problems. Signing Dak would also give us some flexibility until the cap increases in the future. It can be done and wouldn't be too complicated since we won't have any huge FA in the coming years.

(https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/dallas-cowboys/)
Macarthur
daniel_nieto20 said:

jr15aggie said:

daniel_nieto20 said:

Right now, according to OTC, we have roughly 11 M in cap space (I think thats off by a little). Jamal Adams would cost 7 M for this season. So for now we are clear.
Crawford, Sean Lee & HaHa contracts coming off the books in 2021 will create roughly 17 M in cap. That should be enough for Jamal Adams contract since the highest paid S is paid $14.6M a year. Also we can do the signing bonus trick on longer contracts to create cap space like we used to do when we were in actual cap problems. Signing Dak would also give us some flexibility until the cap increases in the future. It can be done and wouldn't be too complicated since we won't have any huge FA in the coming years.

(https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/dallas-cowboys/)
Agree. I think they can afford him.

Keep in mind that the Zeke contract has a ton of flexibility after 2021, I think it is. They can get out of that with little penalty.
jr15aggie
AG
I think that a lot of that 11 mil you are talking about is already set aside for the rookie class. So we'd still have to cut down to afford him this year and who knows how we'd afford him with a new contract.
gigem1223
I read a report today (I believe it was Jane Slater) that said he'd entertain a discount for the Cowboys and he's weighed the endorsement deals he'd pick up wearing a star. Not sure what that's worth but as other have said, the more he talks about wanting to be a cowboy the higher the jets asking price goes up for the boys.
PooDoo
AG
Even though this guy is a deadskin's fan (rock me!) he makes some good points.
Macarthur
I think that's a very solid analysis. I think Dak is borderline tier 2 based on that guys list. I think the last game being the Philly game leaves a bad taste, but I think he's very very close to D. Watson.
PooDoo
AG
I'll just leave this here... Zeke is a streamer now.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/660755406?tt_medium=mobile_web_share&tt_content=vod
98Ag99Grad
AG
Hall of Fame game being cancelled: per report

98Ag99Grad
AG
Hall of Fame game being cancelled: per report

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.