Out-Of-Control Wildfire Spreads On Hawaii's Maui Island

37,600 Views | 368 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by et98
W
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
another aspect of this...

what insurance carriers were the primary underwriters of property coverage on the island?

or who are the reinsurance carriers for those companies

the government may end up getting involved to pay claims
BQ_90
AG
Also it's not like continental US where aid groups can come in and immediately help with cleanup rebuilding housing

Just getting in building supplies in to rebuild will be major undertaking.

I can see the military getting involved in all this too
GAC06
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

We have friends headed to Kaanapali next Sat, we were supposed to be in the same timeshare the week after.

Nothing was damaged 4miles north of Lahaina but the emails from the association asked people to alter their plans and to not visit. So last Thursday we pivoted to Kauai, friends don't understand the issues of visiting. Having been involved in multiple disasters from CA wildfires to floods and Hurricanes I tried to explain the issues but they wilfully aren't listening. Recovery can take a long time and they've never had to deal with something like this.

Issues with power, cell/internet and water remain and may not be restored quickly, at least not within a week after the fire where they'll still pulling bodies out. It'll be curious if airline's will cancel people's flights at the request of local government.

For some resorts they kicked everyone out so the airport must have been a hot mess for days. Hard to find information of what's going on the ground now.

Yeah they're likely in for a bad time if they choose to go anyway.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Information is sketchy, but it appears local efforts to help are being shut down, roadblocks are all over town, and only the feds and their longtime ally -- that's FEMA and the Red Cross -- are "permitted" providers of aid, according to reports.
Quote:

The more important story is that locals are trying to help other locals and seem to be thwarted -- by the very government that failed to protect them from the fire in the first place.

Quote:

The main road to Lahaina, the Honoapiilani highway, was briefly re-opened to residents on Saturday, before quickly being closed again.

Hundreds of Lahaina residents have stayed in line on the highway anyway, hoping to be be allowed through.

Liz Germansky, who lost her home in the fire, is angry about the response. "The government's getting in the way of people helping," she says, sitting in that same traffic queue.

Another route, the Kahekili Highway, is open, but locals say it's far too dangerous to attempt that drive. The road - known simply here as "the backroad" to Lahaina - is barely wide enough for one car, has many hair-pin turns, and a steep drop-off.

"We can't drive this truck there. It's a cliff," said resident Ruth Lee who was stuck in traffic trying to bring supplies to her family that stayed behind.
Quote:

Felicia Johnson, who owns a printing business in the city of Kahului, Maui, is organising a massive grassroots response to the disaster.

Her family is from the Lahaina area. She has amassed hundreds of pounds of donated supplies to bring in, but has been unable to shuttle them through the government checkpoint.

She says that pleading with authorities to let her enter with her donated goods is the hardest part for her emotionally - not the devastation she has witnessed while dropping off supplies."That's the part that I'm so wrecked on, is I got to keep begging you to come in to feed people."

Many of the docks in the area are too badly damaged or destroyed to bring in supplies by boat, Ms Johnson said. Some people that have made the journey have swum the supplies to the shore.
Some of the young men helping her load supplies blame government mismanagement and bureaucracy.

"Too many chiefs, not enough warriors," said Bradah Young, 25.
"Everybody is in charge but nobody is moving," said another man.
Read the rest
BQ_90
AG
Sound like Puerto Rico after that big hurricane hit
XXXVII
Very sad, but they voted for this. They wanted more government, and they're getting more government.
DeSantis 2024

FJB, FJB, FJB, etc
agrams
AG
immediately made me think about kayne and his Bush comment.
BQ_90
AG
agrams said:

immediately made me think about kayne and his Bush comment.

You won't here any govt complaints on this, at least not from the MSM
Squadron7
AG
Quote:

I can see the military getting involved in all this too

Well, it is the rainbow state!

*Badump-bump*
Bird Poo
AG
agracer said:

YouBet said:

Wife shared with me that she's seeing calls from locals to the elites on Maui to help them rebuild and pay for it. Sounds like lots of historical anger is being expressed via this tragedy.

Our friends house is still ok and out of danger.
oh good grief, do these people not have any insurance? I mean that's what it's for!

Let's just say it's much different there. Island life is a little backwards.
YouBet
AG
No offense but your friends are not bright. Do they have no common sense? I've never been involved in a major disaster like this, but baseline intelligence and common sense should at least give you pause especially when the people you have rented from are telling you to alter your plans.
AlaskanAg99
AG
I'm not going to disagree. Part of the problem is information coming out from the timeshare association has been incredibly bad. We haven't cancelled our reservation and we've heard absolutely nothing. Part of the issue is communication has been abysmal which gives people the false assumption things aren't that bad because Kaanapali didn't burn.

The Hawaiian/Maui Emergency Ops Centers efforts have left a lot to be desired. Essentially they should have a group working with the airlines to cancel inbound flights for tourists. Make it mandatory. But not all of the island is impacted so it's a real big complicated mess.

If you do a search on visiting, all the articles are 3 days old. For a state prone to Hurricanes this is pretty poor planning. Esp when probably over 50% of the population is tourists.

https://mauinow.com/2023/08/12/power-restored-to-more-areas-of-west-maui-hotels-plan-to-house-residents-displaced-by-fire/

Power slowly being restored.
aTm '99
aggiedata
AG
I bet many of the restaurant are understaffed or closed in Kaanapali. If the hotels in Kaanapali are full of displaced residents, that wouldn't be a great vacation experience at all.

I know Merriman's is trying to feed people by delivering sandwiches to those in need.
AlaskanAg99
AG
We tried to get then to pivot like we did. Cost was too high for them.
aTm '99
heavily intoxtricated
Bird Poo said:

agracer said:

YouBet said:

Wife shared with me that she's seeing calls from locals to the elites on Maui to help them rebuild and pay for it. Sounds like lots of historical anger is being expressed via this tragedy.

Our friends house is still ok and out of danger.
oh good grief, do these people not have any insurance? I mean that's what it's for!

Let's just say it's much different there. Island life is a little backwards.

Backwards is putting it mildly. I've spent a lot of time in Hawaii surfing all over. The North Shore, Kauai, Maui, and elsewhere.

Parts of it are basically a third world country. They are so hopelessly (and willingly) enslaved to the Democrat plantation out there, it is beyond pathetic. They hate the white tourists and the rich people, yet they feel entitled to all of the dollars they inject into the Hawaiian economy. When you get out of the wealthy areas, most people don't want to work. They just want to smoke weed, surf, complain about the "haoles," and get government handouts while they contribute nothing to society
agrams
AG
yeah, one of the immediate comments I saw someone make was to stop referring to lahaiana as a tourist town..

when 90%+ of your revenue and tax dollars are from tourism, you are a tourist town. it's like Austin. complaining about all of the people coming into town for the festivals all the whole bragging about how great Austin is because of the events/festivals.

you could live off the grid pretty easily back up in the big island. very low average income and very high cost of living.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Well, friends did change their plans finally. Whew.
aTm '99
Stat Monitor Repairman
AlaskanAg99 said:

I'm not going to disagree. Part of the problem is information coming out from the timeshare association has been incredibly bad. We haven't cancelled our reservation and we've heard absolutely nothing. Part of the issue is communication has been abysmal which gives people the false assumption things aren't that bad because Kaanapali didn't burn.

The Hawaiian/Maui Emergency Ops Centers efforts have left a lot to be desired. Essentially they should have a group working with the airlines to cancel inbound flights for tourists. Make it mandatory. But not all of the island is impacted so it's a real big complicated mess.

If you do a search on visiting, all the articles are 3 days old. For a state prone to Hurricanes this is pretty poor planning. Esp when probably over 50% of the population is tourists.

https://mauinow.com/2023/08/12/power-restored-to-more-areas-of-west-maui-hotels-plan-to-house-residents-displaced-by-fire/

Power slowly being restored.
Bugs me that trillions have been spent on 'homeland security' over the past two decades and this is what we've got to show for it.
Old May Banker
AG
Those stories are, while typical, disgusting... and not because the government isn't doing enough to help - that part I care little about right now... but they do have a duty, IMHO, to get TF outta the way so the folks that can and will help actually can.

This is what out of control government bureaucracy looks like.
Squadron7
AG
The internet has jumped right over "obvious climate change" right into "obvious direct energy weapons".
agz win
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

Well, friends did change their plans finally. Whew.

Good they chose to avoid bad karma.
aggierogue
AG
FireAg said:

We were shopping on Front Street less than 3 weeks ago...

I have a ton of family memories over the years from Lahaina...

Word is Old Lahaina Luau complex was lost, and last I heard, they were trying to defend Cannery Mall and Safeway...
Was just there as well and we went to the Old Lahaina Luau. My wife and I have been multiple times and we took our kid this round.

It's an absolutely stunningly beautiful place and one of our favorite places to visit.
aggierogue
AG
YouBet said:

aggiehawg said:

YouBet said:

Awful. We have friends that live near there. They happen to be here right now so they avoided all of that. Their place is ok so far.
Good thoughts and prayers for them. Glad they are safe but shudder to think what they will come back to.

After Hawaii's draconian reaction to covid, the tourism business was finally coming back and now this?

OT but Mama's Fish House in Paia on Maui is the absolutely f***in' best seafood I have ever eaten, anywhere.

Go there, if you can get in. We went midafternoon and only had a small wait. Mahi-mahi stuffed with lobster, crab in a macadamia nut crust is to die for. For appetizers, the macadamia nut crab cakes are almost a religious experience, if you are a foodie.
Yes, this place is badass.
Be prepared to drop Benjamins. But yes, the food is fantastic. And beautiful view of the Pacific.
aggierogue
AG
agracer said:

Foreverconservative said:

Serious question, what started these fires?

Kilauea is no longer erupting. Lava supply to the Halemaumau lava lake is paused. Kilauea is quiet. WTF is going on here.

Media is calling Maui a tender box? I've spent a lot of time on Maui and in Hawaii in general. It rained there almost daily. Humidity is always high and like I said daily showers are common. This seems really suspicious. These climate nuts will do anything to stir their narrative
It rains in some parts, not all.

When we were in Lahaina last December my wife and I saw no rain in 6-days on that side of the island. We did get rained on when we went hiking on the north side of the Island and on the road to Hana (north east and east side).

Same when w went to Kauai in 2018, rained some parts, not others. I thought I read somewhere that Kauai has one of the wettest and driest places on earth.
We were just in Lahaina (2 weeks ago), and it rained (lightly) almost daily. Maui has second highest rainfall on the planet, behind Kauai.
aggierogue
AG
You can form your own opinions, but Lahaina is prime real estate, and the natives have held out to keep the elites from moving in.

JamesE4
AG
aggierogue said:

agracer said:

Foreverconservative said:

Serious question, what started these fires?

Kilauea is no longer erupting. Lava supply to the Halemaumau lava lake is paused. Kilauea is quiet. WTF is going on here.

Media is calling Maui a tender box? I've spent a lot of time on Maui and in Hawaii in general. It rained there almost daily. Humidity is always high and like I said daily showers are common. This seems really suspicious. These climate nuts will do anything to stir their narrative
It rains in some parts, not all.

When we were in Lahaina last December my wife and I saw no rain in 6-days on that side of the island. We did get rained on when we went hiking on the north side of the Island and on the road to Hana (north east and east side).

Same when w went to Kauai in 2018, rained some parts, not others. I thought I read somewhere that Kauai has one of the wettest and driest places on earth.
We were just in Lahaina (2 weeks ago), and it rained (lightly) almost daily. Maui has second highest rainfall on the planet, behind Kauai.
Yes there was very light rain early in the morning and one time about 10 pm, but it was all dried up by noon every day
bthotugigem05
AG
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Information is sketchy, but it appears local efforts to help are being shut down, roadblocks are all over town, and only the feds and their longtime ally -- that's FEMA and the Red Cross -- are "permitted" providers of aid, according to reports.
Quote:

The more important story is that locals are trying to help other locals and seem to be thwarted -- by the very government that failed to protect them from the fire in the first place.

Quote:

The main road to Lahaina, the Honoapiilani highway, was briefly re-opened to residents on Saturday, before quickly being closed again.

Hundreds of Lahaina residents have stayed in line on the highway anyway, hoping to be be allowed through.

Liz Germansky, who lost her home in the fire, is angry about the response. "The government's getting in the way of people helping," she says, sitting in that same traffic queue.

Another route, the Kahekili Highway, is open, but locals say it's far too dangerous to attempt that drive. The road - known simply here as "the backroad" to Lahaina - is barely wide enough for one car, has many hair-pin turns, and a steep drop-off.

"We can't drive this truck there. It's a cliff," said resident Ruth Lee who was stuck in traffic trying to bring supplies to her family that stayed behind.
Quote:

Felicia Johnson, who owns a printing business in the city of Kahului, Maui, is organising a massive grassroots response to the disaster.

Her family is from the Lahaina area. She has amassed hundreds of pounds of donated supplies to bring in, but has been unable to shuttle them through the government checkpoint.

She says that pleading with authorities to let her enter with her donated goods is the hardest part for her emotionally - not the devastation she has witnessed while dropping off supplies."That's the part that I'm so wrecked on, is I got to keep begging you to come in to feed people."

Many of the docks in the area are too badly damaged or destroyed to bring in supplies by boat, Ms Johnson said. Some people that have made the journey have swum the supplies to the shore.
Some of the young men helping her load supplies blame government mismanagement and bureaucracy.

"Too many chiefs, not enough warriors," said Bradah Young, 25.
"Everybody is in charge but nobody is moving," said another man.
Read the rest
Is it just me or is that the least libertarian-sounding tweet ever?
YouBet
AG
Nothing would surprise me. Absolutely nothing.
aggierogue
AG
YouBet said:

Nothing would surprise me. Absolutely nothing.
Agree. It's like a Hawaiian version of Yellowstone.
aggiehawg
AG
My sister-in-law was a school administrator in Hawaii for several years, starting 2007-2008 or thereabout. She went to every island and tried to train administrators at those schools to improve their student performance. She was short, blonde, blue-eyed. They hated her instantly. Schools are not well staffed in Hawaii.

Which is kind of odd if you ask me. Get a teacher gig in Hawaii? State employee? Bennies and the rest? Sounds like a great job!

Except if you are an educator and not a native. Then they just show you the hand, pick up their surfboard and head out of the admin building at three o'clock.
aggierogue
AG
aggiehawg said:

My sister-in-law was a school administrator in Hawaii for several years, starting 2007-2008 or thereabout. She went to every island and tried to train administrators at those schools to improve their student performance. She was short, blonde, blue-eyed. They hated her instantly. Schools are not well staffed in Hawaii.

Which is kind of odd if you ask me. Get a teacher gig in Hawaii? State employee? Bennies and the rest? Sounds like a great job!

Except if you are an edicator and not a native. Then they just show you the hand, pick up their surfboard and head out of the admin building at three o'clock.
You haven't spent much time in Hawaii. Food, gas, etc is much more expensive than Texas. Living on a teacher salary would not be easy. They pay significantly less than most schools in Texas, which is not enough.
agrams
AG
yup. just assume 2-3x the price for anything they have to ship or fly in.
Hoyt Ag
AG
Hawaii is last on the list of places to be in education. If you want a tropical paradise and be a teacher, look at SE Asia.
bthotugigem05
AG
Definitely a lot of cultural anger being unleashed here. Front Street in Lahaina was super touristy, the legacy seat of the Hawaiian crown, and culturally very revered. Other parts of Lahaina are completely dirt poor with people who have just given up. Lots of pent up anger at the USA, even though in the same sentence as the anger they expect the USA to fix it immediately.
pdc093
Wow.
What a visual...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.