Out-Of-Control Wildfire Spreads On Hawaii's Maui Island

37,606 Views | 368 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by et98
Hubert J. Farnsworth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
nortex97 said:

Typical. McCarthy is trash.

Unbelievable. What a bunch of worthless, treasonous, pieces of ****.
aggiehawg
AG

Idiot governor.
agent-maroon
AG
Quote:

The "typical" way of doing business is the entire problem, really.
Agree. Didn't mean to imply otherwise if that's what you took from my post.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
YouBet
AG
nortex97 said:

Typical. McCarthy is trash.

Criminal. This should not be how things are done. Legislation meeds to be 1:1.
Fat Black Swan
AG

Quote:

Let's put that last fact into the public consciousness.

Early in the morning on the day of the fire, a wind advisory was put out by one of the federal agencies involved in that. These are very important in Hawaii because they have great influence on the use of water crafts.

Normal trade winds in Hawaii can blow anywhere from 10-25 mph. Everyone knows if hurricane winds are coming because hurricane weather arrives ahead of it.

What was usual about the day of the fire was the winds were forecast to reach near hurricane levels on a day where the skies were clear -- no weather. They were caused by the unusual confluence of a passing hurricane to the south, and high pressure system going to other direction to the north.

There is a school complex -- elementary, intermediate, and high school -- "uphill" from the town of Lahaina.
With the forecast for strengthening winds throughout the day, a decision was made to dismiss the kids early and send them home. From the schools to the town it is 1.5 miles -- all downhill -- and I'm highly confident that a large number of kids walk home from school every day. The risk to the kids would be flying debris when dismissing them at the normal 2:00 pm time if the winds were blowing 70 mph as forecast.

My understanding is that the decision to dismiss them early came around 10:30 am, but I'm not 100% certain on that time.

There are reports coming from locals that some kids are learning that all their school friends died. I believe there were something in the range of 1700 residences burned, and I'm sure a lot of kids who were sent home early did just that -- they went home.

I'm also quite certain that the State knows with some level of certainty how many kids from the schools are unaccounted for, and likely perished in the fire.

Joe Biden wants to get in and out of Maui for his photo-op before that number becomes public and he's asked to comment on it.

I think it is obscene to see idiots speculating online that the act of sending kids home early has some kind of inter-relationship with conspiracy theories about the cause of the fire. Anyone I see in comments to this Post making that kind of claim is an instant block.
agracer
AG
aggiehawg said:

GinMan said:

https://x.com/thegeorgehq/status/1691915801761042773?s=46&t=uy7uZp0lkoxIvHM8oNDyAw
So who ordered the blockade? And why?
There would be cell phone video of this if it was true.
Fat Black Swan
AG
Phat32
AG
I cannot imagine the kids.
annie88
AG
Currently a happy listless vessel and deplorable. #FDEMS TRUMP 2024.
Fight Fight Fight.
annie88
AG
This is grade A bull*****

Just pure lies, except the response part needing to be tweaked.

Not because of weather.
Not because of 'climate change'

None of this is new to Hawaii. This was a worse fire and that's sad, but this 'extreme weather' bull**** excuse is just that.

Just gross.

Fight Fight Fight.
annie88
AG
Quote:

The "leaders" in Congress decided to combined disaster relief for Maui with an extra $24 billion in funding for Ukraine.

That means members of Congress who oppose more funding for Ukraine (there are many) would have to vote NO on disaster relief for Maui if they want to also block Ukraine war funding. This puts them in a lousy no win voting situation.

Biden (Dem) and McCarthy (GOP) refuse to separate the two funding issues because they know war funding for Ukraine is losing support. The only war to continue to fund the meat grinder is to link it to Maui disaster relief funding.
Gross.
Corrupt.
Evil.
Disgusting.
Fight Fight Fight.
Jbob04
AG
Sad thing is, Hawaii will continue to vote Democrat
annie88
AG
Fight Fight Fight.
annie88
AG
Jbob04 said:

Sad thing is, Hawaii will continue to vote Democrat
Yep, so will California.
Fight Fight Fight.
aggiehawg
AG
agracer said:

aggiehawg said:

GinMan said:

So who ordered the blockade? And why?
There would be cell phone video of this if it was true.
Look harder.

Quote:

She said she and her boyfriend then traveled to the city area of the island to get food, water, fuel and power to charge their phones. As they were returning to their resort, they found thousands of cars were at a standstill on Highway 30. She said she quickly discovered the road was blocked by police.

"We (then) sat in the car on the side of the road with a few thousand people for about three days," Humanick said. Officials "did everything they could to keep us, kind of like, held hostage in a way."

Humanick said police told the line of people the street was unpassable and they were not going to let tourists through to "galavant" while the island was on fire.
Quote:

She said that babies, people with disabilities, those who needed medication, got no help and were suffering in the line while they waited for the road to open. Humanick said she was grateful the community leaned on one another and helped each other as best as they could while they waited in the line.

"The Humane Society was one of the first responders," she said. "They came to every car. Every car [driven by the Humane Society] had four volunteers and a veterinarian. They had dog food, cat food and carriers. They were ready to transport the animals."
LINK
TexasAggiesWin
S
Everything about this just stinks. The media isn't asking question, the leaders of Hawaii are blaming everything and everyone but themselves, and the leaders of our country are worried about funding to Ukraine. This is absolutely pathetic
HarryJ33tamu
TexasAggiesWin said:

Everything about this just stinks. The media isn't asking question, the leaders of Hawaii are blaming everything and everyone but themselves, and we the leaders of our country are worried about funding to Ukraine. This is absolutely pathetic

This is what happens when leftists run things.
EclipseAg
AG
Editor of Maui Times speaks out about official stonewalling.

TRADUCTOR
Like Alex Jones is running point on what is actually going on...lol
YouBet
AG
Is anyone legitimate even reporting estimated missing and/or dead numbers? The last numbers I saw were over a week ago and it was at ~100 dead and ~1000 missing.

Are there any updates to this? If not, how in the world is that possible considering numbers like this are plastered all over the media when something similar anywhere else happens?
Phat32
AG
Because it doesn't help the Democrats.
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
YouBet said:

Is anyone legitimate even reporting estimated missing and/or dead numbers? The last numbers I saw were over a week ago and it was at ~100 dead and ~1000 missing.

Are there any updates to this? If not, how in the world is that possible considering numbers like this are plastered all over the media when something similar anywhere else happens?

For some reason I was completely dialed in when the condo collapse happened in Seaside, Florida last year. We got a daily press conference and updates when someone was found and identified. People had gridded out the condo and knew where people approximately lived.

Amazing how we have radio silence and nothing from Maui.
agent-maroon
AG
Emotional Support Cobra said:

YouBet said:

For some reason I was completely dialed in when the condo collapse happened in Seaside, Florida last year. We got a daily press conference and updates when someone was found and identified. People had gridded out the condo and knew where people approximately lived.

I brought it up at the dinner table a couple of nights ago. I was the only one that knew that 100+ had died and hundreds were still missing. My wife watches the news daily, or at least has it on for the weather forecast.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
MouthBQ98
AG
Dry conditions increase the odds of fire from electric transmission lines as grounding in dry soil is much less effective and therefore voltages build up higher between the remaining effective grounds, sometimes causing them to overheat due to the additional current and catch fire or have a very high voltage and arc.

In dry conditions, right of way and easement clearance is critical as is increased inspection and correction of discovered problems.

Mary Bailey
Phat32 said:

I cannot imagine the kids.
Just the thought is horrifying. I can't imagine the reality.
YouBet
AG
Emotional Support Cobra said:

YouBet said:

It just feels like it's already being memory holed.
Squadron7
AG
Hawaii is just New Orleans with a drink umbrella stuck in it.

Dems gonna Dem.
Stat Monitor Repairman

From reddit and unverified so don't come at me.
AgGrad99
AG

Quote:

Criminal. This should not be how things are done. Legislation meeds to be 1:1.
This is the biggest change needed in our country.

Imagine the pork that would simply cease to exist, if our legislators had to vote on every measure individually on it's own merit.

We would be so much healthier as a country.
AgGrad99
AG
If that memo is true....I'm going to need someone to explain it to me. How is it respectful to the deceased, to not post a picture of a burned down tree/building?

When/Where have we ever stopped coverage of a natural disaster?
BQ_90
AG
did FEMA do the same thing after Hurricane IAN in Florida?
Who?mikejones!
Mary Bailey
Full AP Story

As flames tore through a West Maui neighborhood, car after car of fleeing residents headed for the only paved road out of town in a desperate race for safety.

And car after car was turned back toward the rapidly spreading wildfire by a barricade blocking access to Highway 30.

FTAG 2000
AG
AgGrad99 said:

If that memo is true....I'm going to need someone to explain it to me. How is it respectful to the deceased, to not post a picture of a burned down tree/building?

When's the last time a bunch of favored party politicians were responsible for killing a thousand Americans, reportedly 80% of which are children?

techno-ag
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

AgGrad99 said:

When's the last time a bunch of favored party politicians were responsible for killing a thousand Americans, reportedly 80% of which are children?

Katrina had a lot of failure at the local level. The media blamed W but the feds are supposed to help the states not take over under martial law or something. In fact the locals in NOLA shunned offers of assistance until it was too late. Remember those school buses underwater for evacuations.
I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris

Vote for Trump.
He took a bullet for America.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.