Out-Of-Control Wildfire Spreads On Hawaii's Maui Island

37,608 Views | 368 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by et98
Hoyt Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not a popular opinion but, watch over the next few months/years who owns those properties. Those doing charity on the TV are the ones that lit the match.
GinMan
AG
#DisasterCapitalism

https://x.com/codylillich/status/1689736611037331456?s=46&t=uy7uZp0lkoxIvHM8oNDyAw

https://x.com/ulumaika808/status/1690547747454091264?s=46&t=uy7uZp0lkoxIvHM8oNDyAw

https://x.com/storyknifemedia/status/1690747268956360705?s=46&t=uy7uZp0lkoxIvHM8oNDyAw

https://x.com/warrior50261765/status/1690785674528714752?s=46&t=uy7uZp0lkoxIvHM8oNDyAw
GinMan
AG
aggierogue
AG
Hoyt Ag said:

Not a popular opinion but, watch over the next few months/years who owns those properties. Those doing charity on the TV are the ones that lit the match.
I've seen reports that Bezos "charity" comes with strings attached. Basically, you take his money, he owns your land.

Really pisses me off honestly.

Unlike reports here, I dug in and spoke to many of the residents in Maui while there. I wanted to get to know as much of the culture as possible. The people I spoke to were friendly and happy to share their history. I think about some of their faces when I think about these fires and hope they are okay.
Dimebag Darrell
aggierogue said:

YouBet said:

Nothing would surprise me. Absolutely nothing.
Agree. It's like a Hawaiian version of Yellowstone.

Or "Black Wall Street"

Hoyt Ag
AG
You think Oprah wants to be there handing out pillows to those that lost it all? They all come with strings. This society is lost.
agrams
AG
I bet 50% of the rebuild will be high rise/condo/resort style buildings.
aggiehawg
AG
agrams said:

Yeah, what I think happens too.
Showertime at the Bidens
GinMan said:

#DisasterCapitalism

https://x.com/codylillich/status/1689736611037331456?s=46&t=uy7uZp0lkoxIvHM8oNDyAw

https://x.com/ulumaika808/status/1690547747454091264?s=46&t=uy7uZp0lkoxIvHM8oNDyAw

https://x.com/storyknifemedia/status/1690747268956360705?s=46&t=uy7uZp0lkoxIvHM8oNDyAw

https://x.com/warrior50261765/status/1690785674528714752?s=46&t=uy7uZp0lkoxIvHM8oNDyAw

Stat Monitor Repairman
Hoyt Ag said:

aggiehawg
AG
Aw crap. here we go.
one safe place
agrams said:

I agree and would bet way more than 50% will be as you indicate. Maximum return on that sort of property means going up and up and up, many stories high.

I saw a clip of some guy that lives there saying he and others were encouraging people to rebuild and not give up and move away. That is to try to keep the property in its current use, rather than having it go to high dollar investors/hotels/resort folks. I don't know the area nor the people, but wonder if having insurance is the norm and, if so, is it replacement cost? Unless they have replacement cost, I would guess more than a few could not replace what they had and be in the mindset to sell.

Does the government step in and bail people out? You can bet the Fertitta types are already trying to figure out how to get chunks of that dirt.
Stat Monitor Repairman
The federal government will come in and implement green building regulations that will make it cost prohibitive for the locals to rebuild.

That and they'll use DEI to make sure they don't get financed.
agrams
AG
yeah, I could see rebuild requirements for fire prevention push the cost to rebuild well above any coverage or FEMA aid locals had, basically forcing them to sell since they can't afford to rebuild on that local.
one safe place
I think both of you are thinking correctly. I am guessing some democrats are about to be raking in some huge amounts of contributions in exchange for getting this done.
YouBet
AG
agrams said:

Absolutely what will happen. The big vulture money is salivating at this opportunity.
LCE
AG
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Me as well, really cool little town and sad to see. These fires happen there for a variety of reasons and always have unfortunately. Summer time things dry up and you have so much vegetation so it can get bad quickly.
When we there in 2009, visited a fire station. The Hubs being a retired firgihter likes to drop in and meet other firefighters when we are on trips. First off, it was a small substation that didn't really have a lot of equipment, just two trucks in the bay, maybe six guys on duty. All were pretty young and spent a lot of time working out and working on their tans. Then did have a nice workout room.

The Hubs was cross trained during his career, high rise fires, water and dive rescue and aircraft fire rescue etc. Those guys didn't believe him as none of them were. After about 30 minutes of talking shop about how many fires and the type of fires they had made, we left.

Basically, those guys were all a-holes. As we were driving away I asked The Hubs if he would go into a fire with any of them and he said no he wouldn't. That he had probies who were better trained than they were.

The guys didn't wanted to hear from some old man lecturing them on fire fighting for 30 minutes.
TRM
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman
Quote:

"This Maui situation is an Anthropocene phenomenon," he said, referring to the epoch defined by humanity's influence over the planet.

The tropical paradise, situated 2,000 miles west of the US mainland, has only really begun to experience the consequences of that influence in recent decades.
They are desperate to link this wind driven wildfire to 'humanity's influence over the planet.'

Over the past 30-years there has been this bizarre tack to act like somehow humans aren't also a part of the ecosystem. As if humans are somehow a nuisance to the planet and we are subservient to some greater force.

The dog whistle of global warming is overwhelming and it keeps getting worse,

Theres an endgame to all of this and we ain't gonna like it.
ShinerAggie
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

They are desperate to link this wind driven wildfire to 'humanity's influence over the planet.'

Oh, they've already started. The droids are out in full force:

Mazie Hirono: We Need to 'Acknowledge Climate Change Is Upon Us'

Quote:

Hirono said, "I think that we need to very much acknowledge climate change is upon us. There are whole states, by the way, you can't use the words climate change because they have a head-in-the-sand attitude. But the Inflation Reduction Act provided some $300 billion to combat climate change and to move us away from continuing to rely on fossil fuels. Yes, there is more that needs to be done."

She added, "There will be lessons learned from this ongoing tragedy for the other counties as well as the county of Maui. Clearly, wildfires is an occurrence in Hawaii. people don't realize that acres are burned in Hawaii as in so many other states. In terms of the percentage of acreage burned, Hawaii is on a par with other states. There is not enough recognition that we are going to need to combat these kinds of wildfires."
________________________________________________________ "Citizens are deceived en masse but enlightened one at a time."
Kenneth_2003
AG
Those are just attention grabbing excuses for the failure of local leadership.
ShinerAggie
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

Those are just attention grabbing excuses for the failure of local leadership.
That is absolutely correct. The issue IS manmade, but it has nothing to do with CO2. Diversion of tax dollars to social pet projects, never-ending wars, restriction in the permitting process for infrastructure improvements, and so on. But look...a squirrel! NO WAY this could be a failure in leadership despite these same idiots being reelected for decades.
________________________________________________________ "Citizens are deceived en masse but enlightened one at a time."
BQ_90
AG
Quote:

Another important factor in the state's growing vulnerability of late has been its abundance of unmanaged dry vegetation providing the ideal fuel, much of which is accounted for by invasive species like Guinea grass that are non-native to Hawaii but have colonised areas of former farmland and forest.

Quote:

"Agriculture declines also mean less help for firefighters less maintenance of roads, irrigation and water storage and even fewer people with knowledge of the land."

These are all man made problems that require man made solutions. Note the fewer people with knowledge of the land quote
YouBet
AG
Quote:

"This Maui situation is an Anthropocene phenomenon," he said, referring to the epoch defined by humanity's influence over the planet.

It certainly is. If humans hadn't built power lines carrying the power source that the left has declared the solution to all of our problems next to outdated wooden buildings, then this wouldn't have happened.

This was a human manufactured event that has nothing to do with fossil fuels and everything to do with humans living in a dangerous locale with poor access and then not planning for any acts of God which have always happened and will always happen regardless of mankind.
Stat Monitor Repairman
So the incoming ballistic missile warning system in Hawaii is tip-top.

Wildfire and other weather warning systems, not so much.
agz win
AG
Early lawsuit against the electric company not shutting off the power with the high winds.

Hawaiian couple sues power companies over Lahaina destruction amid historic Maui wildfires | Fox News

HECO Kept The Power Flowing In Lahaina Even As Poles Toppled - Honolulu Civil Beat

Hawaiian Electric Co., whose transmission lines run all across Maui, did not shut down the power in Lahaina ahead of this week's deadly and devastating fires, a technique has been used in California and other places prone to wildfires.

Nor did the utility have a formal plan to shut down large parts of the grid, according to company officials.

The company said it did take other, more limited steps to deal with the fierce winds and red flag warning of extreme fire weather.

Nonetheless, some 29 fully energized poles fell across roads in West Maui that day. While it's still not clear what caused the fires that began Tuesday, hitting Lahaina hardest, authorities have said those poles stifled access to the fire zone and prevented many from evacuating.

I also didn't realize a passing hurricane to the south was the cause of drawing in the high winds.
agrams
AG
yeah, a high pressure system north of the island and the hurricane creating and even more than normal lower pressure system south of the island made it a wind tunnel.
agracer
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

I'm not going to disagree. Part of the problem is information coming out from the timeshare association has been incredibly bad. We haven't cancelled our reservation and we've heard absolutely nothing. Part of the issue is communication has been abysmal which gives people the false assumption things aren't that bad because Kaanapali didn't burn.

The Hawaiian/Maui Emergency Ops Centers efforts have left a lot to be desired. Essentially they should have a group working with the airlines to cancel inbound flights for tourists. Make it mandatory. But not all of the island is impacted so it's a real big complicated mess.

If you do a search on visiting, all the articles are 3 days old. For a state prone to Hurricanes this is pretty poor planning. Esp when probably over 50% of the population is tourists.

https://mauinow.com/2023/08/12/power-restored-to-more-areas-of-west-maui-hotels-plan-to-house-residents-displaced-by-fire/

Power slowly being restored.

In 1992 Iniki hit Kauai in 1992. Since then there have been 3 tropical depressions and 2 tropical storms hit one of the islands. That last one, in 2018, Olivia was a Cat4 storm before weakening to a tropical storm and the first first tropical cyclone to make landfall on Maui and Lanai in recorded history.

It's not at all like Florida or any of the Gulf Coast states.

Several pass bye every year, but it's not what anyone would call "prone to Hurricanes".
Phat32
AG
https://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/2023_hawaii/index.html#13.77/20.88259/-156.66333/0/60

Insane imagery. Got closer to Kaanapali than I thought. Also odd what it burned and did not burn.

Looks like the waterfront took it the hardest as the fire was being pushed that direction full speed and ran out of fuel at the ocean.
Steampunk-Kangaroo
TheEternalPessimist said:

Alabama/Florida Emerald Coast is better than Hawaii.

I have been to Hawaiian Islands. Not worth the cost. Leftist policies. Definitely racist attitude towards mainland whites.
That's a shame, Hawaii is a beautiful place and I always wanted to visit.
--- Go and try, you'll never break me! ---
agracer
AG
one safe place said:

agrams said:

I agree and would bet way more than 50% will be as you indicate. Maximum return on that sort of property means going up and up and up, many stories high.

I saw a clip of some guy that lives there saying he and others were encouraging people to rebuild and not give up and move away. That is to try to keep the property in its current use, rather than having it go to high dollar investors/hotels/resort folks. I don't know the area nor the people, but wonder if having insurance is the norm and, if so, is it replacement cost? Unless they have replacement cost, I would guess more than a few could not replace what they had and be in the mindset to sell.

Does the government step in and bail people out? You can bet the Fertitta types are already trying to figure out how to get chunks of that dirt.
If they have a mortgage they have insurance.

But the problem is that insurance doesn't over wild fires (from what i can find) unless you have, and paid for, separate wild fire coverage on your property.

I'll be a lot of folks might give up and sell and move somewhere else on the island that they can take the money they got from selling to buy and build someplace else.
FireAg
AG
Phat32 said:

https://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/2023_hawaii/index.html#13.77/20.88259/-156.66333/0/60

Insane imagery. Got closer to Kaanapali than I thought. Also odd what it burned and did not burn.

Looks like the waterfront took it the hardest as the fire was being pushed that direction full speed and ran out of fuel at the ocean.

Appears, Old Lahaina Luau, Cannery Mall, and the Safeway were all spared…
agracer
AG
Steampunk-Kangaroo said:

TheEternalPessimist said:

Alabama/Florida Emerald Coast is better than Hawaii.

I have been to Hawaiian Islands. Not worth the cost. Leftist policies. Definitely racist attitude towards mainland whites.
That's a shame, Hawaii is a beautiful place and I always wanted to visit.
Visit. I've been twice and never encountered locals that were racist or aggressive with myself or my wife. Of course we did not stop at the shanty town area's where locals were living on the beech but you probably shouldn't either.
Secolobo
AG
UH wildfire expert: Invasive grasses growing in the abandoned plantations fueled wildfires on Maui and Hawaii Island

Much of the former cropland has reverted to dry grass and shrubs that flush green after the rain and periodically burn off in wildfires as they dry in the hot Lahaina sun."

A Maui Rancher Prepares To Lose 3,400 Acres To Conservation
Squadron7
AG
Quote:

Word is Old Lahaina Luau complex was lost, and last I heard, they were trying to defend Cannery Mall and Safeway...

"Officer! Officer! They're looting the Food King!"

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.