Out-Of-Control Wildfire Spreads On Hawaii's Maui Island

37,590 Views | 368 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by et98
Ghost Mech
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The epicenter of the destruction is in the Hawaiian town of Lahaina on the island of Maui. CBS News said, "People were jumping into the water to escape flames and smoke from a wind-fueled wildfire."

Strong wind and dry conditions have been fueling the fire. As of early Wednesday local time, fires were active in Lahaina, Kula, North Kohala, and South Kohala.

https://www.zerohedge.com/weather/apocalyptic-scene-out-control-wildfire-spreads-hawaiis-maui-island

Rapier108
Not the first time Hawaii has had to deal with wildfires including losing buildings.

And the entire island is not on fire.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
Dimebag Darrell
Horrible.
aggiedata
AG
I spent a lot of time on this street in the past. Crazy

aggie93
AG
aggiedata said:

Me as well, really cool little town and sad to see. These fires happen there for a variety of reasons and always have unfortunately. Summer time things dry up and you have so much vegetation so it can get bad quickly.
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
Breggy Popup
AG
Rapier108 said:

Not the first time Hawaii has had to deal with wildfires including losing buildings.

And the entire island is not on fire.

So basically Shayla Maddox is a nitwit.
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
got mauied in lahaina, beautiful area.

sad to see
techno-ag
AG
Basically [Basically you making fun of this situation is why you are on a break. -Staff]
It Aint Easy Being Brown
Man this sucks

Lahaina was our Hawaii spot

It'll take years to build back
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Me as well, really cool little town and sad to see. These fires happen there for a variety of reasons and always have unfortunately. Summer time things dry up and you have so much vegetation so it can get bad quickly.
When we there in 2009, visited a fire station. The Hubs being a retired firgihter likes to drop in and meet other firefighters when we are on trips. First off, it was a small substation that didn't really have a lot of equipment, just two trucks in the bay, maybe six guys on duty. All were pretty young and spent a lot of time working out and working on their tans. Then did have a nice workout room.

The Hubs was cross trained during his career, high rise fires, water and dive rescue and aircraft fire rescue etc. Those guys didn't believe him as none of them were. After about 30 minutes of talking shop about how many fires and the type of fires they had made, we left.

Basically, those guys were all a-holes. As we were driving away I asked The Hubs if he would go into a fire with any of them and he said no he wouldn't. That he had probies who were better trained than they were.
techno-ag
AG
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

When we there in 2009, visited a fire station. The Hubs being a retired firgihter likes to drop in and meet other firefighters when we are on trips. First off, it was a small substation that didn't really have a lot of equipment, just two trucks in the bay, maybe six guys on duty. All were pretty young and spent a lot of time working out and working on their tans. Then did have a nice workout room.

The Hubs was cross trained during his career, high rise fires, water and dive rescue and aircraft fire rescue etc. Those guys didn't believe him as none of them were. After about 30 minutes of talking shop about how many fires and the type of fires they had made, we left.

Basically, those guys were all a-holes. As we were driving away I asked The Hubs if he would go into a fire with any of them and he said no he wouldn't. That he had probies who were better trained than they were.
Honestly, most Hawaiians are like that, especially toward outsiders, white outsiders in particular. They like your tourist dollars, but that's where it stops.
I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris

Vote for Trump.
He took a bullet for America.

American Hardwood
AG
The amount of carbon these wildfires must put up in the atmosphere must be enormous. Makes me laugh when the greenies think stopping me from using my BBQ pit is going to save the planet.
aggiedata
AG
agracer
AG
aggiedata said:

Wow, was just there last December. Loved the town and we for sure were going to go back.
Ellis Wyatt
Quote:

Honestly, most Hawaiians are like that, especially toward outsiders, white outsiders in particular. They like your tourist dollars, but that's where it stops.
Yep. Maybe the most condescending and racist place I have been in the world, and I have visited many places.
BG Knocc Out
aggiedata said:

Holy crap!
Scruffy
AG
It's a shame they have no access to water to put on the fires.
BG Knocc Out
techno-ag said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

They are racist AF and hate the "haoli" whites who are pretty much the reason they are not living in straw huts with no electricity or modern comforts. Not all of them, but it's very prevalent there.
JFABNRGR
AG
Scruffy said:

It's a shame they have no access to water to put on the fires.
That would require millions of dollars in environmental impact studies.
Ags77
AG
Heartbreaking. Such a beautiful area.
Kashchei
AG
BG Knocc Out said:

techno-ag said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

They are racist AF and hate the "haoli" whites who are pretty much the reason they are not living in straw huts with no electricity or modern comforts. Not all of them, but it's very prevalent there.

I think a large part of this dislike is caused by Kalifornians. It's about a 4 or 5 hour flight from SF so they visit HI a lot. Talking with a few locals they said they loved Texans (friendly) but said most Kalifornians are *******s.
TheBonifaceOption
Quote:

"People were jumping into the water to escape flames and smoke from a wind-fueled wildfire."

Damn, even the green energies are working against them.
DrEvazanPhD
Kashchei said:

BG Knocc Out said:

techno-ag said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

I think a large part of this dislike is caused by Kalifornians. It's about a 4 or 5 hour flight from SF so they visit HI a lot. Talking with a few locals they said they loved Texans (friendly) but said most Kalifornians are *******s.
I'd agree with that. Went to Maui for my honeymoon. The locals were plenty friendly, didn't catch any of that underlying hostility. Now...after visiting Pearl Harbor...the locals sucked
AggieRain
AG
Been to Lahaina several times and really love the area of west Maui. Shame to see this. Also, I don't know where you run too. There is really only one seaboard road that runs through the area, and it is congested in normal times...
TheEternalPessimist
Alabama/Florida Emerald Coast is better than Hawaii.

I have been to Hawaiian Islands. Not worth the cost. Leftist policies. Definitely racist attitude towards mainland whites.
Sea Speed
AG
I hope that massive banyan tree in downtown Lahaina didn't get burned up.
FireAg
AG
We were shopping on Front Street less than 3 weeks ago...

I have a ton of family memories over the years from Lahaina...

Word is Old Lahaina Luau complex was lost, and last I heard, they were trying to defend Cannery Mall and Safeway...
FireAg
AG
Sea Speed said:

I hope that massive banyan tree in downtown Lahaina didn't get burned up.
Have seen images of fires within the the tree park, and parts of the tree burning...have not seen any confirmation of its ultimate fate...

But the multi-story shopping/restaurant alcove right across the street from it is gone...
BG Knocc Out
Kashchei said:

BG Knocc Out said:

techno-ag said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

That makes sense.

On our honeymoon in Oahu in 2013, we went to an awesome beach on the west side that we later found out we were not supposed to go to (Makaha). I was out in the water swimming/treading in 8-10ft of water and watching this local kid shred some nice waves, when I noticed some rough tatted up banger lookin dudes treading water and slowly closing in on me from several directions. It was not a friendly vibe that I felt and I was starting to prepare for a fight.

My wife (Korean but is darker and could pass as pacific islander) comes swimming up out of nowhere with a boogie board and then the surfer kid comes back and starts talking friendly with me and my wife, as we had been shooting the breeze and asking him about surfing before when he was waiting for waves, and to this day I am still convinced that may have saved me from a violent altercation, or at least being told to GTFO of their town.

I later found out that the younger locals routinely vandalize and slash tires of rental cars over there to keep outsiders away and sometimes resort to violence. I don't condone those actions, but I can actually kind of understand that mentality. Almost all of the beaches out there are teaming with tourists, and I understand the locals wanting a few nice beaches to themselves and away from the hustle and bustle.
aggiedata
AG
Disturbing video of people fleeing in their car. Prayers to the lady they didn't stop to help. Ug.
IndividualFreedom
Before and after the fires, Greg should have been purchasing Hawaiian cruises out of Galveston sending 5000+ at a time to Hawaii on a permanent vacation.

What would a explosion of Honduran/Polynesian Fusion restaurants look like?
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Eyewitnesses described an apocalyptic scene Tuesday in Lahaina town, where residents were forced to jump into the harbor waters to avoid fast-moving flames from a massive brush fire that's destroyed much of the historic area and continues to burn.

Residents say an overwhelmed fire force fighting flames all day amid powerful winds could do little as flames ripped through the historic community, destroying dozens of homes and businesses in what onlookers believe is the worst natural disaster in Hawaii's history since Hurricane Iniki.
No surprise there, as I said. They just were not adequately trained nor equipped.

Quote:

Acting Gov. Sylvia Luke confirmed that the Hawaii National Guard had been activated to help respond to the sprawling fire crisis, which also includes other raging wildfires. The flames have forced thousands to their homes, and many aren't sure what they'll find when they return.

Due to the severe situation, Luke has extended the emergency proclamation to all counties. Non-essential air travel is being discouraged to Maui and all state agencies are being ordered to assist with the evacuation.

State and county leaders will provide an update on the wildfires and impacts of Hurricane Dora across the state at 10 a.m. Wednesday. Hawaii News Now will take the press conference live on air and online.

Gov. Josh Green is returning to the islands Wednesday night to address the crisis. He was initially scheduled to return to Hawaii from personal travel on Aug. 15.

Honolulu Emergency Medical Services Director Jim Ireland confirmed that patients on Maui are being airlifted to Oahu.
LINK
FancyKetchup14
AG
IndividualFreedom said:

Before and after the fires, Greg should have been purchasing Hawaiian cruises out of Galveston sending 5000+ at a time to Hawaii on a permanent vacation.

What would a explosion of Honduran/Polynesian Fusion restaurants look like?
You must have your oceans confused
Loaded
AG

Aggie related... Drew Davis is a recent A&M grad and former meteorologist at KBTX.
Sid Farkas
AG
None of this would be happening if you bigots had allowed the US to go full communist, and had written a $32tn check to John Kerry, Bernie Sanders and AOC to fix it for us.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.