Rolling blackouts in Texas

169,624 Views | 1588 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Whitetail
buzzardb267
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What freezes a wind turbine? I am on a Montana FB page and this guy posted this pic and said these were working in a -29 degree blizzard....

Edit to add, he said ice could shut them down if it threw the blades out of balance and the computer signaled it.
"ROGER - OUT"
Charpie
AG
The turbines in Willacy County Texas supply North Carolina. Duke Energy paid for them to go up
Aggie1944s Kid
AG
eric76 said:

AggieLostinDallas said:

Or a school.
Or a nuclear power plant.
Or Nancy Pelosi
Get ready bal. You're gonna in for a problem.
TravelAg2004
AG

This doesn't look good!

http://www.ercot.com/content/cdr/html/real_time_system_conditions.html
itsyourboypookie
We've now had 3 water breaks at apartment complexes because of no power.

We have the water off at all 3 complexes now.

90 families with no power or no water.

Great views of wind turbines though
clw04
AG
buzzardb267 said:

What freezes a wind turbine? I am on a Montana FB page and this guy posted this pic and said these were working in a -29 degree blizzard....

You can spend capital to make them work in those conditions. Why would you expend the capital to make it work in those conditions in Texas and make yourself less competitive.
JobSecurity
AG
Charpie said:

The turbines in Willacy County Texas supply North Carolina. Duke Energy paid for them to go up

That's not how this works
Zobel
AG
Turbines have to be winterized to work when it's cold. Nacelle heaters, oil heaters, heating the blades to prevent icing. Also, the wind has to be blowing. Right now it's not.
Fenrir
They'll just blackout some more people. At this point I don't think they really believe the system is coming back up soon. The plan, seems to me, is to keep major services like hospitals running until temps start going back up. They are trying to fight off total collapse.
buzzardb267
AG
clw04 said:

buzzardb267 said:

You can spend capital to make them work in those conditions. Why would you expend the capital to make it work in those conditions in Texas and make yourself less competitive.
Thanks. I didn't realize they were different designs. I do understand cost/benefit.
"ROGER - OUT"
sam callahan
I feel like we are one microwave dinner away from full blackout.
JFABNRGR
AG
TravelAg2004 said:

This doesn't look good!

How does that jive with this forcasted next day peak of 75000MW when were only at 45000 now?

http://www.ercot.com/content/cdr/html/loadForecastVsActualCurrentDay.html
http://www.ercot.com/content/cdr/html/real_time_system_conditions.html
aggiepanic95
AG
sam callahan said:

I feel like we are one microwave dinner away from full blackout.
reminds me, I have a salsbury steak hungry man in the freezer. sounds kind of good....
Guitarsoup
AG
buzzardb267 said:

Edit to add, he said ice could shut them down if it threw the blades out of balance and the computer signaled it.
Guessing they don't use the same turbines in Central Texas or Hawaii as they do in Montana or Norway.
Zobel
AG
That forecast is more like a wishcast. Once temps get above freezing maybe some of the power plants can get back on line. Till then we're like we are, and there's probably only downside. I don't know what will happen if another round of plant outages happen tonight.
buzzardb267
AG
Zobel said:

Turbines have to be winterized to work when it's cold. Nacelle heaters, oil heaters, heating the blades to prevent icing. Also, the wind has to be blowing. Right now it's not.
So I guess the next storm is going to actually help our situation by increasing wind speeds as it approaches from the west.
"ROGER - OUT"
thirdcoast
AG
https://instagr.am/p/CLVA1zbLqPm
JobSecurity
AG
This doesn't count reserves.

http://www.ercot.com/content/cdr/html/as_capacity_monitor.html
Third from bottom, physical responsive capability
The Collective
AG
thirdcoast said:

https://instagr.am/p/CLVA1zbLqPm

I thought they smelled bad on the outside
blessed
AG
AG81xx said:

Here's another potential problem. Getting everyone to turn down their thermostat to 68 degrees works great to save electricity when you are in the 30-40 degree outdoor temp range because most electric heating systems and house insulation allow a house to be heated beyond 68 degrees, so by setting your thermostat at 68 you actually shut off the electricity once it hits 68.
However I imagine that when we get to single digits outside, many houses (or most) will have to run full time just to try and get to 68. So for many homes it will not matter whether you are set at 68 or 70.

blessed
eric76
AG
blessed said:

AG81xx said:

Here's another potential problem. Getting everyone to turn down their thermostat to 68 degrees works great to save electricity when you are in the 30-40 degree outdoor temp range because most electric heating systems and house insulation allow a house to be heated beyond 68 degrees, so by setting your thermostat at 68 you actually shut off the electricity once it hits 68.
However I imagine that when we get to single digits outside, many houses (or most) will have to run full time just to try and get to 68. So for many homes it will not matter whether you are set at 68 or 70.

I talked to one guy today who is having no issues with heating his house and is not worried bout gas or electricity issues freezing him out. His house is heated almost entirely by a wood stove in the living room.

For those with heat pumps that exchange heat with the air, the heat pumps are running pretty much full time trying to extract a little bit of heat from the air. If they had geothermal heat pumps, they would be relatively well off.
Kenneth_2003
AG
buzzardb267 said:

clw04 said:

buzzardb267 said:

Thanks. I didn't realize they were different designs. I do understand cost/benefit.
I don't think it's different designs per se as much as packages that aren't installed. I guess semantics, but yeah same cost/benefit.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Father in law has a wood stove, it gets the house toasty in a hurry
45-70Ag
AG
Finally back on, at least for the moment. Just had 16 hrs of nothing.
45-70Ag
AG
And it's back off.
AgsMnn
AG
We are 1 hour on and 4-5 hours off now.

Fortunate for that. Others are not getting that much time on.

Premium
AG
AgsMnn said:

We are 1 hour on and 4-5 hours off now.

Fortunate for that. Others are not getting that much time on.

Location?

Hopefully they give us more than that if we've had zero doe 24 hours, but not hopeful
AgsMnn
AG
DeWitt Co.

GVEC provider.
The Fall Guy
AG
12 hours off in Kyle. 2 hrs in and off again at 1AM. Still off
The Collective
AG
Politically, an event like this could flip the state blue. It would not be better with the other guys, but it is an easy message & people will be pissed for a long time.
Hezgottatd
Power out for exactly 24hrs to the second at our place in east Burnet Co. And just as I saw transformers at our neighbors down the road explode, it's off again. PEC...
C@LAg
Just hit 0 degrees Fahrenheit at the house in McKinney and 5 degrees at the house in Georgetown.
ShawnTxAg
eric76
AG
C@LAg said:

Just hit 0 degrees Fahrenheit at the house in McKinney and 5 degrees at the house in Georgetown.
We seem to be back on the upswing around here. It got down to about -12 on Monday, but today it is supposed to limit out at -2.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.