Rolling blackouts in Texas

169,348 Views | 1588 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Whitetail
gonemaroon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks for taking the time to chat with me
BenFiasco14
AG
sanangelo said:

gonemaroon said:

Does anyone work for the press? This is beyond ridiculous this story needs to be told - people are likely to freeze to death over an error that didn't need to happen.
I work for the press. I have some state elected officials on text discussing, all Rs. They are calling this a disaster. GoneMaroon, call me (214) 893-6791.

I have plenty of toilet paper, disinfectant wipes, and paper towels.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Kenneth_2003
AG
C@LAg said:

thirdcoast said:

Hidalgo is frantically looking for a way to refrigerate vaccines after power outage at supply storage!
toss it in the sewer with all the other useless garbage.
ABC said they were all used. Got them over to a local hospital
Charpie
AG
I don't understand how this got fubared so badly by Ercot.

I mean, I do. But it's ****ed up that it happened.
Rapier108
black_ice said:

AggieLostinDallas said:

wessimo said:

Oof

How does a nuclear plant go offline?

You ever see the tv series Chernobyl?
Which has absolutely zero to do with any nuclear reactors in the US.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Thanks for the info on this thread. Many moons ago, I was an analyst/ scheduler on a California desk at a big shop in town. Good to hear from ERCOT people that know what they're doing on this thread.

I haven't lost power but my house is about 200 feet away from a free-standing emergency room whose owner is very connected politically.
black_ice
Rapier108 said:

black_ice said:

AggieLostinDallas said:

wessimo said:

Oof

How does a nuclear plant go offline?

You ever see the tv series Chernobyl?
Which has absolutely zero to do with any nuclear reactors in the US.

Lol no ***** It was a joke pal
Post removed:
by user
gonemaroon
AG
I have to get some shut eye but last it appears wind generation of all things is set to ramp for the next several hours so hope some good Texans get some rotating power back on until it goes away again. Wind is set to go from 800MW right now to almost 7000MW by tomorrow AM so some folks will be getting green energy power / no complaints from the right

Thermal generation is still at the lows, I don't see any good news there. GN
Rapier108
Sorry, my sense of humor got fired last night. 2 hours of sleep just doesn't cut it.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
black_ice
Rapier108 said:

Sorry, my sense of humor got fired last night. 2 hours of sleep just doesn't cut it.
Kenneth_2003
AG
gonemaroon said:

I have to get some shut eye but last it appears wind generation of all things is set to ramp for the next several hours so hope some good Texans get some rotating power back on until it goes away again. Wind is set to go from 800MW right now to almost 7000MW by tomorrow AM so some folks will be getting green energy power / no complaints from the right

Thanks for all of your insight! Rest up!
TRADUCTOR
gonemaroon said:

Thanks gonemaroon! Redass info
JFABNRGR
AG
According to the cdc, in addition to the possibility of slowing the spread of C19, the wearing of 2 or more masks might also help warm up the frigid air prior to breathing, during these rolling blackouts. Remember were all in this together.

Fascinating thread. Prayers to all those affected.
AggieBaseball06
AG
gonemaroon said:

Really appreciate what you've brought to the board the past 24 hours. It's been both useful and educational.
aggielostinETX
AG
Hopefully things deicing are getting better.
“A republic, if you can keep it”

AggieKatie2 said:
ETX is honestly starting to scare me a bit as someone who may be trigger happy.
stetson
AG
AggieBaseball06 said:

gonemaroon said:

Really appreciate what you've brought to the board the past 24 hours. It's been both useful and educational.

TexAgs: we know stuff!
thirdcoast
AG
Speaking of wind turbines...

BenFiasco14
AG
thirdcoast said:

Speaking of wind turbines...

Okay. **** California
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Yesterday
AG
This guy full of *****

cap-n-jack
Why are our ugly a$$ wind turbines supplying electricity to ugly a$$ California?
Fenrir
We request natural disasters assistance more than any other state because of our grid? Not following that claim or what it means for a grid to be "comprehensive."
bmks270
AG
Fenrir said:

We request natural disasters assistance more than any other state because of our grid? Not following that claim or what it means for a grid to be "comprehensive."

Yeah, not like hurricanes knock out power or hit Texas more than other states.
Phat32
AG
**** that guy
Fenrir
Probably one of the highest in terms of flood damage, tornadoes, fires...Texas is just kinda **** central for natural disasters.
YouBet
AG
Well, if there is one thing we've all learned from this it's to build or buy your next home within throwing distance of a hospital.
aggielostinETX
AG
Or a school.

AggieKatie2 said:
Justice Beaver
AG
YouBet said:

Well, if there is one thing we've all learned from this it's to build or buy your next home within throwing distance of a hospital.

Didn't seem to help me.
Ornithopter
AG
And area wise, it's pretty big.
XXXVII
YouBet said:

Or a nursing home.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
I live in South Austin, and I am grateful that I experienced only a brief power outage of 20 minutes this afternoon.
aggiebird02
North Austin here, 78753, going on 20 hours without power.
Goat Man
AG
XXXVII said:

YouBet said:

Or a nursing home.
Unless you are in NY.
aggielostinETX
AG
Predicted capacity not coming back

AggieKatie2 said:
eric76
AG
AggieLostinDallas said:

Or a school.
Or a nuclear power plant.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.