Rolling blackouts in Texas

169,440 Views | 1588 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Whitetail
Shanked Punt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
gonemaroon said:

If anyone knows of any person in the press personally that is covering this - point them my way please. PM me

The entire system of checks and balances failed on this one, and everyone is suffering due to it.
The simplistic story is going to be those frozen wind turbines, and the state will do everything it can to make that so.
TAMU1990
AG
gonemaroon said:

I had a conversation with Bloomberg / I am going to make sure the questions about generation outages and the control room at ERCOT's handling of load shedding are asked - I promise you ERCOT and the PUCT are going to CYA for big generation outages and their own stupidity. Everyone I know in Texas is sitting in the cold thinking outages are rotating and they'll have power soon.

The price of LMP right now is about $1400 no where near the price cap telling me they could be turning load back online because they have the room and they are not doing it. It's pissing me off to no end.

Why are the same houses in a neighborhood going through rolling blackouts while others haven't lost electricity?
XXXVII
gonemaroon said:

A few of the rumors I have heard is that Kinder is having pipeline issues and since ERCOT has tripped all the solid fuel (coal and 50% of STP) ERCOT is freaking the **** out. They don't want to put load back on the system because they fear total black out. So we are relying on a fragile gas pipeline right now to get us through this.

ERCOT ran credit under this situation of price caps for 3 days straight and the risk to the market was in the 10's of billions and the powers that play in this space made calls all the way up to POTUS. Massive load shedding seems to be the bail out (opinion of everyone I know in the space) to the shorts in the market that were all going to go under - shorts include all the REP's. Most of the traders think the grid is trying to bail out Vistra and NRG through black outs. Even the likes of Morgan Stanley have billions in credit risk on these companies and wind farms, solar farms, etc. They provide LOC's for many as do all the other banks. Lots of players in the mix.

That's all I have for now.

ERCOT accidentally tripped all coal and half of the STP plant?

Was this caused by them not shedding load fast enough?
webgem08
AG
I think I understand the gist of what you're saying, but can you dumb down some of the acronyms and some of the details? You're saying that ERCOT is trying to appease Wall Street and part of the reason that we don't have enough generation is so energy companies don't lose money?

Also, any idea why the whole state isn't rolling through blackouts? I thought the state was all connected and everyone was going to be reduced to make up for the lost generation capacity.
tlepoC
AG
Thanks Biden!
45-70Ag
AG
Going on six hours of no power. Friends of ours three miles away haven't lost it at all

The way in which this has happened is bull **** and the clowns at ERCOT knew this was going to happen today but didn't say anything.
gonemaroon
AG
ERCOT's mismanagement of the situation did for sure - they caused this to be MUCH worse.
BenFiasco14
AG
#BidensBlackouts

Plus Covid deaths.

Blood on his hands!
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
sam callahan
Didn't say anything?

Really?

You sure yours is part of the rolling blackout?
Bird Poo
AG
The newer (richer) neighborhood across the street has been dealing with blackouts all day. Mine has been on the entire time.
BBRex
AG
I might know some interested parties.
2wealfth Man
AG
ERCOT currently showing something like 48MW available right now. Oh sheet!!!!
azul_rain
Oh joy I'm getting three minutes of power every 30 minutes instead of every hour. Thank you government for being so good to me, I'll never talk **** about you again /s
you may all go to hell and i will go to Texas
Rapier108
2wealfth Man said:

ERCOT currently showing something like 48MW available right now. Oh sheet!!!!
The ERCOT website shows 2701MW reserve available.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
richardag
webgem08 said:

I think I understand the gist of what you're saying, but can you dumb down some of the acronyms and some of the details? You're saying that ERCOT is trying to appease Wall Street and part of the reason that we don't have enough generation is so energy companies don't lose money?

Also, any idea why the whole state isn't rolling through blackouts? I thought the state was all connected and everyone was going to be reduced to make up for the lost generation capacity.
Me too. Not understanding the implications.
Among the latter, under pretence of governing they have divided their nations into two classes, wolves and sheep.”
Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Edward Carrington, January 16, 1787
DallasAg 94
titan
S
richardag said:

webgem08 said:

Me too. Not understanding the implications.
No. But it sounds like from the call if anyone knows a reporter, that it boils down to a tar-and-feather of a particular entity may be in order, rather than a mechanical fault or a lack.
FrioAg 00:
Leftist Democrats "have completely overplayed the Racism accusation. Honestly my first reaction when I hear it today is to assume bad intentions by the accuser, not the accused."
Post removed:
by user
Troy91
AG
hedge said:

Oh joy I'm getting three minutes of power every 30 minutes instead of every hour. Thank you government for being so good to me, I'll never talk **** about you again /s

That is better than 7 plus hours of no power at all. Others have been out longer than that.

Would like to have a few minutes of heat in the last 7 hours.
FattyDelights
What a **** show - now folks saying gas issues in league city?
titan
S

By gas prices are assuming it is meant natural gas, and not gasoline which has not been high.
FrioAg 00:
Leftist Democrats "have completely overplayed the Racism accusation. Honestly my first reaction when I hear it today is to assume bad intentions by the accuser, not the accused."
Cassius
My son has been out 12 hours.
jrdaustin
AG
mazag08 said:

Shanked Punt said:

Here is a good thread of what is going on. Wind may be an issue, but the delivery of natural gas is causing major problems.

Next time find an unbiased source and not a career academic who's entire life has been spent studying slanted science in an effort to force feed our country an agenda.

Quote:

Jesse leads the Princeton ZERO Lab - the Zero carbon Energy systems Research and Optimization Laboratory -- which conducts research to improve decision-making to accelerate rapid, affordable, and effective transitions to net-zero carbon energy systems. The ZERO Lab has three main areas of research

Then his comments make more sense and deserve some clarification.

First, he is correct that there are currently problems with power generation both on gas and wind. But to imply by saying that there are "some" problems with wind and that they are much less than gas is misleading at best.

First, not "some". Fully 50% of wind turbines in west Texas are currently offline due to icing, and the number is rising.

Second, the only reason it is "second" as an issue to the gas issues is that thankfully we have much less wind generated power than gas generated power. The problem would have been magnified exponentially if we were MORE dependent on wind generated power.
Squadron7
AG
Cassius said:

You should let him back in. It's still pretty cold.
gonemaroon
AG
LMP is the price of energy - sorry for the acronym. It just means the price is significantly lower than the price cap meaning they have room to add customers back online now.
TommyBrady
AG
I just wanna say thank God we aren't burning lignite Coal and keeping people warm and toasty and instead letting people and business' suffer so we can feel better. Please stop voting for morons who make decisions off feelings and not facts. Please wake the **** up and stop being a sheep
Cassius
Squadron7 said:

Cassius said:

You should let him back in. It's still pretty cold.
Post removed:
by user
Cassius
They've spent the money on fantasy alternative energy capacity instead of traditional energy and now people are paying the price.
gonemaroon
AG
emailed ya
Zobel
AG
There is more thermal (traditional) power offline right now due to all sorts of problems than the total wind power installed on the grid.
Post removed:
by user
Good Poster
AG
azul_rain
Regardless this is absolute bull****, nobody should be putting up with this crap
you may all go to hell and i will go to Texas
TRADUCTOR
Chinamen been on a coal plant building spree keeping their poors warm at a KWh cost of 5 cents.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.