Rolling blackouts in Texas

169,325 Views | 1588 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Whitetail
eric76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Comanche_Ag said:

Been out over two hours...well house down to 29 degrees.
That's my problem out on the farm. If the power is down and the temperature is below freezing, we have two well houses to protect and two houses.

In the past, we had well head gas, but that got shut off (we're definitely not happy about that).

Currently, I don't have heat on the farm, but I have living quarters in town that I can use.
itsyourboypookie
TommyBrady said:

Got the alert at 1:07 but should be all up now. Frequency issue.

Btw they almost ****ed up again this morning on load. ERCOT is acting reckless

Power is all back up?
TRADUCTOR
The solution everybody buys an off grid system...quit making Aggie jokes, insulting.
IDaggie06
AG
eric76 said:

YouBet said:

So there is no way to recover? We are just screwed?
I've often thought that what we need to do is make our homes capable of handling losses of power.

There are a few things that can help:

Have an alternate source of heat for the winter time. This could be several choices. How about a heat pump with natural gas as a backup? Or firewood in wood burning stoves? (Chimneys seem to waste lots of energy.)

One possible choice for heat would be heating oil. Heating oil supposedly holds its energy a long time. I've read that it can last about 8 to 10 years. We probably wouldn't need to keep more than enough to last a week or two.

Remember that to burn heating oil, you spray it into the burner and that requires electricity. And then you need fans to blow it through the duct work unless you use radiators instead. You could do this with an emergency generator or maybe with a few solar panels -- enough to run the heating oil furnace in the daytime and to charge batteries to run overnight.

Or you could wrap up to stay warm. When I was a kid, I loved sleeping with the window open in the middle of the winter. My bedroom wasn't heated anyway. With four or five blankets, I stayed plenty warm enough. I sure hated to get out of bed in the morning, though. We had no plumbing upstairs so I didn't have to worry about freezing pipes.

Just make sure you have enough electricity to heat for your pipes and run it around the clock to keep the pipes from freezing. Or if your pipes run in the basement, just make sure that you can shut the water off in the basement and drain the pipes. In most places, the basement should remain above freezing without any problem.

You are not in a position to lecture anyone, lib.
eric76
AG
TRADUCTOR said:

The solution everybody buys an off grid system...quit making Aggie jokes, insulting.
The idea is to set up something that can get you through a temporary outage. Temporary being no more than a week or two.
gonemaroon
AG
It's not, it's a screen shot from my desktop.
TRADUCTOR
eric76 said:

TRADUCTOR said:

The idea is to set up something that can get you through a temporary outage. Temporary being no more than a week or two.

You and me: Right, agree, but nonsensical for the entire population.
DallasAg 94
eric76
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

eric76 said:

itsyourboypookie said:

eric76 said:

YouBet said:

I've often thought that what we need to do is make our homes capable of handling losses of power.

Have an alternate source of heat for the winter time. This could be several choices. How about a heat pump with natural gas as a backup? Or firewood in wood burning stoves? (Chimneys seem to waste lots of energy.)

One possible choice for heat would be heating oil. Heating oil supposedly holds its energy a long time. I've read that it can last about 8 to 10 years. We probably wouldn't need to keep more than enough to last a week or two.

Remember that to burn heating oil, you spray it into the burner and that requires electricity. And then you need fans to blow it through the duct work unless you use radiators instead. You could do this with an emergency generator or maybe with a few solar panels -- enough to run the heating oil furnace in the daytime and to charge batteries to run overnight.

Or you could wrap up to stay warm. When I was a kid, I loved sleeping with the window open in the middle of the winter. My bedroom wasn't heated anyway. With four or five blankets, I stayed plenty warm enough. I sure hated to get out of bed in the morning, though. We had no plumbing upstairs so I didn't have to worry about freezing pipes.

Just make sure you have enough electricity to heat for your pipes and run it around the clock to keep the pipes from freezing. Or if your pipes run in the basement, just make sure that you can shut the water off in the basement and drain the pipes. In most places, the basement should remain above freezing without any problem.

Lol wut.

The solution is nuclear and coal, cheap energy for all.

Not these rich people solutions.
Even with nuclear and coal, power lines can go down. We've had ice storms around here in the last two or three years that required the power company to replace miles of power lines. Even bringing in multiple crews from other places, many places were down for a week or so. Even houses 1 to 2 miles out of town were down for days.

If the power lines go down, nuclear and coal aren't going to help you much.

And depending on what you do, those don't have to be all that expensive.

Don't confuse generating power... with distributing power.

If power lines go down, you lose power to an area, but it can be re-routed quickly. You still have the power available.

That isn't the problem. If we had energy... we could distribute it.
Maybe in cities.
DallasAg 94
wbt5845
AG
I'm sure Rougned Odor is responsible somehow.
TRADUCTOR
Pray for generation to come back on line, as gonemaroon said; people are gonna die.
eric76
AG
TRADUCTOR said:

eric76 said:

TRADUCTOR said:

You and me: Right, agree, but nonsensical for the entire population.
That's a good point. Those in larger cities probably wouldn't see an outage lasting more than a few hours. Out in the country, it's completely different.

In the local town, the power comes from a substation about 5 or 6 miles away. If enough power lines are down, we can be down for many hours.

Another issue is when the wind blows the wires together and trips breakers. We had an outage for something like 18 hours in the past year or so just from that in one day.
eric76
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

eric76 said:

TRADUCTOR said:

So everyone should own a generator and store carbon based fuel, I'm the event Solar and Wind go out?
You're being silly.
DallasAg 94
TRADUCTOR
eric76 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

eric76 said:

TRADUCTOR said:

So everyone should own a generator and store carbon based fuel, I'm the event Solar and Wind go out?
You're being silly.

You have to sell your idea to people who think the are covered with alternate/back up system of 2 window units.
eric76
AG
TRADUCTOR said:

eric76 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

eric76 said:

TRADUCTOR said:

You're being silly.

You have to sell your idea to people who think the are covered with alternate/back up system of 2 window units.
Window units?
itsyourboypookie
gonemaroon said:

It's not, it's a screen shot from my desktop.

Made this post. Share it and some lib journalist will want to dig in to save the #greennewfail

https://www.facebook.com/1383630851/posts/10219461377150113/?d=n
eric76
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

eric76 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

eric76 said:

TRADUCTOR said:

You're being silly.

Being silly while having been in the dark for the past 1.5hrs since gonemaroon said we likely won't get power back.

You were the one to suggest everyone should have a backup plan.

I could tell you the temp in the house, but my thermostat that controls my gas furnaces is out. Last read 1.5hrs ago was 63F. Probably in the 50s, now.
I have a battery backup that is charged up but not being used at the moment. Maybe I ought to go plug that in for our secondary gas heater at the office.

On the other hand, we have a portable emergency generator that runs on gasoline that we can use instead, if necessary.
itsyourboypookie
eric76 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

eric76 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

eric76 said:

TRADUCTOR said:

You're being silly.

Being silly while having been in the dark for the past 1.5hrs since gonemaroon said we likely won't get power back.

You were the one to suggest everyone should have a backup plan.

I could tell you the temp in the house, but my thermostat that controls my gas furnaces is out. Last read 1.5hrs ago was 63F. Probably in the 50s, now.
I have a battery backup that is charged up but not being used at the moment. Maybe I ought to go plug that in for our secondary gas heater at the office.

On the other hand, we have a portable emergency generator that runs on gasoline that we can use instead, if necessary.

Hrydrocarbon solutions beat unicorn farts everyday
gonemaroon
AG
Looks like STP may have tripped 50% this gets worse and worse
annie88
AG
My power in Bryan in the country went out about 2:30 am, still out. Getting pretty chilly in the house but I've got the fireplace going again so out near that.
Currently a happy listless vessel and deplorable. #FDEMS TRUMP 2024.
Fight Fight Fight.
C@LAg
itsyourboypookie said:

Hrydrocarbon solutions beat unicorn farts everyday
not if you feed the unicorn chili WITH beans.
eric76
AG
annie88 said:

My power in Bryan in the country went out about 2:30 am, still out. Getting pretty chilly in the house but I've got the fireplace going again so out near that.
Some people around here have gotten wood burning stoves that fit in the fireplace to increase the efficiency over that of a simple fireplace.
Bird Poo
AG
eric76 said:

itsyourboypookie said:

eric76 said:

YouBet said:

Lol wut.

Even with nuclear and coal, power lines can go down. We've had ice storms around here in the last two or three years that required the power company to replace miles of power lines. Even bringing in multiple crews from other places, many places were down for a week or so. Even houses 1 to 2 miles out of town were down for days.

This is a power generation problem, not a power line problem. Green energy is not working right now. Just accept it and move on.
ttu_85
annie88 said:

My place between Georgtown and Liberty Hill had a 15,000 gallon rain collector, wood burning stove,and 5 acres of heavily wooded land. Because of an event in 1996, long duration power loss was a factor in the design of the place. Sold it in June to a Canadian dude that loved that wood burning stove. Warned him it would have that master suite hotter than hell within an hour even with no power, 20 degrees and a North wind at 30mph outside.
ttu_85
PearlJammin said:

eric76 said:

itsyourboypookie said:

eric76 said:

YouBet said:

Lol wut.

This is a power generation problem, not a power line problem. Green energy is not working right now. Just accept it and move on.
Green energy has its place. So does natural gas, so does oil. Everything is political mostly do to the libtards whining about everything.

May the best product/technology win in the arena of the market place.
C@LAg
ttu_85 said:

PearlJammin said:

eric76 said:

Green energy has its place. So does natural gas, so does oil. Everything is political mostly do to the libtards whining about everything.

hard to compete when govt hamstrings some in favor of their pet green bull****tery.

e.g.
Seattle mayor signs legislation to ban natural gas in some new buildings

The bill requires new commercial buildings and large multifamily buildings to use clean electricity for space and water heating to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
https://www.king5.com/article/tech/science/environment/seattle-new-building-energy-codes-ban-fossil-fuels/281-2a928b2d-6328-489d-9e12-a00a5013e4dc
ttu_85
C@LAg said:

ttu_85 said:

PearlJammin said:

eric76 said:

hard to compete when govt hamstrings some in favor of their pet green bull****tery.

e.g.
Seattle mayor signs legislation to ban natural gas in some new buildings

The bill requires new commercial buildings and large multifamily buildings to use clean electricity for space and water heating to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
https://www.king5.com/article/tech/science/environment/seattle-new-building-energy-codes-ban-fossil-fuels/281-2a928b2d-6328-489d-9e12-a00a5013e4dc
Seattle is not a free market and no arena in the battle of ideas. it is a west coast command economy and **** show. We agree.
eric76
AG
PearlJammin said:

Around here (Texas Panhandle), power issues are primarily that of power lines and secondarily of issues at substations.

One good ice storm can knock power out to many people for days.
C@LAg
you are just arguing to argue.

as others have said, that is not the issue with the current events in TX.
Bird Poo
AG
eric76 said:

PearlJammin said:

Around here (Texas Panhandle), power issues are primarily that of power lines and secondarily of issues at substations.

ARE YOU SERIOUSLY BLAMING THE CURRENT BLACKOUTS ON FKING TREES AND DOWNED POWER LINES?

There's a chance people are going to freeze to death for the simple reason that this state cannot meet energy demand due to the failure of renewables in an event like this. You have a serious lack of empathy and keep trying to steer the conversation away from that failure. Grow up and recognize this problem for what it is. You can remain obtuse, but this board recognizes what you are doing.

Your ideas of people going out and buying millions of generators to make up for that failure are completely stupid. Suggestions of a wood burning stove are not practical. Your climate controlled utopia works in a very small part of Texas. To even mention swamp coolers is downright laughable. But that's your way of looking down your nose on the rest of us, isn't it?
ttu_85
eric76 said:

PearlJammin said:

In Central Texas and east Texas probability of a given threat in a given year is lower than the PH but thanks to trees the high end severity is much greater as is the duration of the event. I live in the highly forested Southeast now knowing that it is likely my reserve generator WILL be deployed.

Have say the wildest storm I ever saw was in march 1984- Full blown severe Thunderstorm with a 45K top 60 mph winds and wet half dollar sized snow flakes balls. That storm messed up Lubbock for months. Caked heavy wet dense snow on everything wrecking trees and powerlines. Traffic signals were down for weeks.

Absolute freak of nature. NormanAg will appreciate the insane meteorology to create something like that that time of year
gonemaroon
AG
You folks that are arguing about renewables are totally off topic save it for another day.

ERCOT has had over 10,000 thermal outages in place all of February. From what I can tell it's mostly Vistra who has dominate market power. State could use those outages right now / ERCOT authorized the outages.

Fast forward that doesn't really matter so much / the grid itself was short capacity today they were going to have to do rotation outages of around 10,000MW in my opinion and that should have been ORDERLY. ERCOT failed us over night / they literally didn't load shed when they were supposed to and sat there like a bunch of dopes and allowed the grid to degrade and caused damage to the power system. Now we are short over 20,000MW with power plants that are down due to their negligence.

I promise you these m'fers will come out and blame freezing rain or something but that was all in the forecast so that's total bull***** People could freeze to death / this is the most embarrassing moment I've had in 20 years with this grid. Just so y'all know I have been an ERCOT asset manager, trader, etc. And I'm ****ing pissed at what they did last night - and no one will hold them accountable.
ttu_85
PearlJammin said:

eric76 said:

PearlJammin said:

ARE YOU SERIOUSLY BLAMING THE CURRENT BLACKOUTS ON FKING TREES AND DOWNED POWER LINES?

There's a chance people are going to freeze to death for the simple reason that this state cannot meet energy demand due to the failure of renewables in an event like this. You have a serious lack of empathy and keep trying to steer the conversation away from that failure. Grow up and recognize this problem for what it is. You can remain obtuse, but this board recognizes what you are doing.

Your ideas of people going out and buying millions of generators to make up for that failure are completely stupid. Suggestions of a wood burning stove are not practical. Your climate controlled utopia works in a very small part of Texas. To even mention swamp coolers is downright laughable. But that's your way of looking down your nose on the rest of us, isn't it?
Events like this are rare but do happen a few big ones and you can look these up:

1899- a polar airmass that made it to southern Mexico. This is your daddy event
1983- long duration event. Billions of dollars in damage. Wrecked houses via broken water lines all over the country. Highest pressure ever recorded in the US.
1989- A week long event- the current event is inaccurately compared to it. it was mostly dry.
2011- February- I just remember all the illegally discarded PVC everywhere. Sucked.

As Southern state populations explode events like this will become more damaging. Its expensive to engineer for them and they are rare.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.