Rolling blackouts in Texas

169,470 Views | 1588 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Whitetail
itsyourboypookie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
People in Dallas are melting down on social media saying their power company text them about rolling blackouts.

Surely this is because of ice taking down trees that are taking down power lines and not because Texas can't meet energy demands.

If we truly can't meet the energy demands because of a cold snap, they better not shutter another coal plant and quit wasting acreage on solar.
svaggie
AG
I have been in this industry for 40 years. Nuclear is the cheapest and most and most efficient but they will never build another one. It's sad. We are run by idiots
torrid
AG
Probably got caught with their pants down with reduced capacity due to plants being idled for maintenance. They obviously couldn't do that during the summer.
nortex97
AG
With the greeny crap now ascendant I am seriously looking at options this year for a backup generator for the house. A pain to maintain a full size one for years just in case but I think it is inevitable at this point that our power grid is going to become a lot less reliable moving forward.
Jbob04
AG
Ercot will not be able to keep up with demand during this winter storm. They are expecting more demand than back in the 2011 drought/heat wave. Also, back in 2011 we had way more power plants online than what we have currently.
Yesterday
AG
nortex97 said:

With the greeny crap now ascendant I am seriously looking at options this year for a backup generator for the house. A pain to maintain a full size one for years just in case but I think it is inevitable at this point that our power grid is going to become a lot less reliable moving forward.

Get one to power the fridge and a window unit. Don't need to power the whole house. But I agree. We can't rely on wind and solar yet.
doubledog
itsyourboypookie said:

People in Dallas are melting down on social media saying their power company text them about rolling blackouts.

Surely this is because of ice taking down trees that are taking down power lines and not because Texas can't meet energy demands.

If we truly can't meet the energy demands because of a cold snap, they better not shutter another coal plant and quit wasting acreage on solar.
Combination of all of the above. A blackout or power failure take your pick.
Bassmaster
AG
svaggie said:

I have been in this industry for 40 years. Nuclear is the cheapest and most and most efficient but they will never build another one. It's sad. We are run by idiots

Not only will they not build them, they are actively shutting down perfectly good plants before the end of their useful lives.
Picard
AG
But we should all stop using fossil fuels and each buy an electric car to plug into the grid.

Right.......
itsyourboypookie
Jbob04 said:

Ercot will not be able to keep up with demand during this winter storm. They are expecting more demand than back in the 2011 drought/heat wave. Also, back in 2011 we had way more power plants online than what we have currently.

That's the company they keep mentioning. I've never heard of it.

Navasota Valley is in the ****ter around here. But they are a coop that just supply the lines. Linesman have been working 24/7 but some people haven't had power for days.
Olag00
AG
ERCOT controls all Texas electrical Utilities. They are the one's that tell the different providers (Oncor/Centerpoint/AEP, etc) what to do.
ClassicAg18
AG
Love seeing these people melt down and say we need to move to green energy RIGHT NOW. If we moved to green energy right now, they'd lose their precious social media because they wouldn't be able to charge their precious phones unless the sun was out or the wind was blowing
Serotonin
AG
Feb 2011 was crazy and peak load was ~65 GW.

Tomorrow will probably be around 73-74 GW, and probably the coldest day in Texas since 1989.

It doesn't make sense to have generators in reserve that only run once every few years or decades.
Olag00
AG
as an FYI, here is the current conditions of the grid for ERCOT. When/if it gets to EEA-1, ERCOT sends out a notification to the public about trying to help with the loading. If it gets to the Load Shed area then ERCOT will start ordering rolling blackouts.
BanderaAg956
Liberal Dallas without power - awe shucks, now add Houston, Austin and San Antonio!

Glad I'm on a little coop in the hill country!
Liberals are Damn Liars! Terminate Section 230! It has been ONLY 72!hours since my last banning for defending my conservative values against liberal snowflake cupcakes and the LIBERAL Mod’s that protect them! Fairness is a myth! Stop trying to silence us! Decent LAW ABIDING HUMAN BEINGS MATTER and so do our voices. When you protect the wicked, the Anarchist, the deviant, you become One of them!

ALL LIVES MATTER - I support police and motorcycle riders. Patriot Gun Owners Unite!
Owlagdad
Karen is green until she is uncomfortable.
CyclingAg82
AG
Bassmaster said:

svaggie said:

Not only will they not build them, they are actively shutting down perfectly good plants before the end of their useful lives.
The jokes write themselves with the leftist looney tunes.
Sid Farkas
AG
Biden's America
oneeyedag

nortex97 said:

Here in Virginia us most of us live with generators. They're not a pain at all. One you can get a whole home propane generator and when the power goes out you don't even really know it. Or two, a gas generator that powers only selective appliances, which is what we have a Generac 8k.

A couple of years ago, we were without power for 5 days a generator pretty saved us.

All of our food we took out of the fridge and put in ice chests with the snow and used generator for plug-in heaters and moved bed to living room. We are also on a well, so the melted snow also served to help flush and fill tanks of the toilets. We cooked on my Coleman camp stove, it was really like glamping.
Ag$08
BanderaAg956 said:

Liberal Dallas without power - awe shucks, now add Houston, Austin and San Antonio!

Glad I'm on a little coep in the hill country!

It's basically a single grid all over Texas. You will be affected as well if things get bad.
ttu_85
Serotonin said:

Feb 2011 was crazy and peak load was ~65 GW.

Tomorrow will probably be around 73-74 GW, and probably the coldest day in Texas since 1989.

It doesn't make sense to have generators in reserve that only run once every few years or decades.
Yep. Texas pop 4mill > than 2011. Temps coldest since 1989. == **** show. Its just math. It happens
YouBet
AG
Unreliable infrastructure is a feature for any leftist bent ideology. They love it. Gives them something to martyr about.
ArmyAg97
AG
itsyourboypookie said:

I'm in Dallas and not worrying at all about rolling blackouts. Fake news?
AggDogg61
Those wind turbines must be freezing up.
V8Aggie
AG
I don't get it. I've lived in over 20 homes and they all had gas heaters. Am I missing something? I mean everyone's AC runs off electricity so even if half of us gave electric furnaces how are we going to put a dent in the grid?
Rhodesia
Olag00 said:

ERCOT controls all Texas electrical Utilities. They are the one's that tell the different providers (Oncor/Centerpoint/AEP, etc) what to do.
this is wrong the PUC tells the TDUs what to do
Cassius
If only we had wind and solar right now. We'd be golden. China Joe is on the job. AOC is heading up the committee.
XXXVII
Yep, ERCOT shows in their daily forecast that load will exceed generation around 6 pm or sooner today. The load demand looks to be increasing faster than predicted.

Olag00
AG
Rhodesia said:

Olag00 said:

This is wrong. PUC makes sure there is a competitive market and that everyone plays by the same rules in the retail market area.

If the PUC "controls" what the TDUs do, then why would they "echo" what ERCOT says. It should be "ERCOT issues rolling blackout per PUC".

Rhodesia
Olag00 said:

Rhodesia said:

Olag00 said:

This is wrong. PUC makes sure there is a competitive market and that everyone plays by the same rules in the retail market area.

If the PUC "controls" what the TDUs do, then why would they "echo" what ERCOT says. It should be "ERCOT issues rolling blackout per PUC".

Interesting so when TDU's make rate cases they go to ERCOT for approval? LOL

As I tell people who don't understand De-regulation in Texas..ERCOT is more of a traffic cop, handles orders, scheduling etc, etc..The authority is with the PUC ..

HTH
richardag
Thank you President Jimmy Carter.

For those not old enough to remember this idiot made sure to ban construction of new homes with natural gas. So now there are tens of thousands of all electric homes throughout Texas needlessly. It was later revealed the US had 27 trillion cubic feet if known reserves of natural gas.

Another liberal who was incredibly wrong.
Among the latter, under pretence of governing they have divided their nations into two classes, wolves and sheep.”
Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Edward Carrington, January 16, 1787
Get Off My Lawn
AggDogg61 said:

Those wind turbines must be freezing up.
At least their gear boxes are kept warm by big ol heaters!
Cassius
V8Aggie said:

I don't get it. I've lived in over 20 homes and they all had gas heaters. Am I missing something? I mean everyone's AC runs off electricity so even if half of us gave electric furnaces how are we going to put a dent in the grid?

Good point. Except for one house, it's always a gas furnace. I did have a heat pump in one house which was electric and a joke. Not getting this increase in demand.
Olag00
AG
You are confusing the applications. I agree they go to the PUC for rates. This thread is about grid performance. ERCOT controls that.
XXXVII
Cassius said:

V8Aggie said:

Good point. Except for one house, it's always a gas furnace. I did have a heat pump in one house which was electric and a joke. Not getting this increase in demand.

I'm not sure my gas furnace will run without electricity. It needs electricity to run the thermostat and relay boards.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.