COVID exponential growth in full swing

115,513 Views | 1213 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by texagbeliever
littledoc91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
k2aggie07 said:

The "speed" at which you hit herd immunity matters. If you get there at a natural / unmitigated course, you achieve herd immunity at the peak number of infections. You get a lot of overshoot. If you slide into it, you don't.

Op ed by Carl Bergstrom about overshoot.

Trying to micromanage this thing is an exercise in arrogance & futility. It is a characteristic of progressivism or collectivism and proven wrong time & again.

The speed at which we reach HI does matter. While overall deaths would increase with overshoot, HI will be all the stronger & more complete. The faster we reasonably get there, the less economic & social disaster will result.

Cancelled
AG
I predict swift application of the banhammer for those bumping these types of threads.
Zobel
AG
So now its good for more people to get infected because you get stronger and more complete herd immunty? Is the goal herd immunity?

I thought it was to get through this with a minimum of lives lost and minimum economic cost.

I didn't advocate for micromanaging it, and I don't see any logical tie in to progressivism or collectivism.
littledoc91
AG
Yes. It is inevitable that, until HI is reached, more people will get sick. Some of those will die.

We will be fighting this crap & fighting one another for a very long time until a STRONG HI is reached & this bug is relegated to endemic status. Could've been mostly there by now.

Your comments absolutely scream micromanagement. It is a wrong-headed approach to almost any situation, especially one involving a natural occurrence.

RGLAG85
AG
k2aggie07 said:

So now its good for more people to get infected because you get stronger and more complete herd immunty? Is the goal herd immunity?

I thought it was to get through this with a minimum of lives lost and minimum economic cost.

I didn't advocate for micromanaging it, and I don't see any logical tie in to progressivism or collectivism.
Of course you don't. It's just one more spoke in the wheel of the ever changing reaction to try and control the masses in the name of "you're too stupid to think for yourself" faux science. You virus huggers just don't understand the carnage that's happening and will continue to happen once these very average virus dies. Even if a million died from the virus that will pale in comparison but you keep hollering all is well!
Thomas Jefferson: "When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery."
Zobel
AG
I understand that. I've actually said that several times on this thread. Glad we have that common ground.

We were talking about overshoot beyond herd immunity though. Herd immunity is an inevitable end point one way or another. It's not a goal. The goal is to get there with a minimum of economic disruption and loss of life.

What's the advantage to additional people getting infected beyond herd immunity?

Perhaps I don't know what you mean by micromanagement. This seems like the common approach on this board - politicize, force it to a false binary choice, and then deride the other side. I'm likely to your right economically and politically.

Maybe if you tell me what "my" approach is, we can find out of if it is actually wrong-headed.
Zobel
AG
See? Politicize, force to binary, deride the other.

Add angry faces and cute catch phrases like "faux science" and "virus huggers" for bonus stars.
dBoy99
AG
k2 is not a virus hugger. He's just a super hi-level intelligence guy who breaks down complex subjects like epidemiology, virology, statistics, genetics, and immunology (just to name a few) for us rubes on forum 16. He's a self-taught, super genius expert. He doesn't pick sides - he's above all that. He is an uninvolved 3rd party, just compiling knowledge and sharing it with us. He doesn't care if we all live or die or crash the economy - his purpose is to share information and try to enlighten us.

Think of him as an unbiased, without ulterior motives Dr. Tony Fauci.

I am part of the problem and you're the victim...
Zobel
AG
Exactly
tehmackdaddy
AG
k2aggie07 said:

Herd immunity is a means to reach the goals you mentioned.
Zobel
AG
It's the end. Infections or a vaccine (unlikely) are the means. But the final number of infections is a moving target. You get herd immunity plus some overshoot. We're talking double digit percent overshoot potential. That translates to millions of infections and ?? Lives (use whatever fatality rate you like).
littledoc91
AG
k2aggie07 said:

I understand that. I've actually said that several times on this thread. Glad we have that common ground.

We were talking about overshoot beyond herd immunity though. Herd immunity is an inevitable end point one way or another. It's not a goal. The goal is to get there with a minimum of economic disruption and loss of life.

What's the advantage to additional people getting infected beyond herd immunity?

Perhaps I don't know what you mean by micromanagement. This seems like the common approach on this board - politicize, force it to a false binary choice, and then deride the other side. I'm likely to your right economically and politically.

Maybe if you tell me what "my" approach is, we can find out of if it is actually wrong-headed.
HI is not an objective point to be reached then stop. It is a subjective point; a degree. The lower the "point" or degree is, the more impact the bug will continue to have.

"Perhaps I don't know what you mean by micromanagement."

Really? Your discussion involves riding the brakes to perfectly approach the HI "point" just right then stop to avoid overshoot. ooookay.

This is the problem with very intelligent people. You can take in enormous amounts of info, process and formulate but so often don't have a balanced understanding of the big picture. Just like Dr. Fauci (he is a hammer and the bug is a nail).

Don't mean it as a flame. Take a step back will help.
Rongagin71
AG
k2aggie07 said:

It's the end. Infections or a vaccine (unlikely) are the means. But the final number of infections is a moving target. You get herd immunity plus some overshoot. We're talking double digit percent overshoot potential. That translates to millions of infections and ?? Lives (use whatever fatality rate you like).
As a 71 yr old who might be at risk, I say go for it...at this stage, the economy is more important than theoretical overshoot. Most of the "extra deaths" will come off the Social Security rolls.
Zobel
AG
I'm not advocating for riding the brakes. I was talking about what overshoot was. It's not feasible to have no overshoot.

But any reduction in transmission rate reduces overshoot. There's cheap reduction (PSAs and hygiene campaigns) and expensive reduction (shutdowns). All have some impact. The argument shouldn't be binary - nothing vs everything. It's what makes sense to achieve herd immunity without unnecessary overshoot. It's a balance. this is against "open it all up" but it's just as much against "suppression forever".
BigRobSA
Open.
It.
Up.

That's what is needed. We can carry the threeve, divided by the fif, all day. Doesn't matter. Live life.
Zobel
AG
To be clear, I'm fine with open it up*

*with aggressive contact tracing and testing, encouraging work from home and voluntary social distancing policies.

The stay at home policies were both ineffective AND come with a moral and political hazard. The problem wasn't with the 15 days of suppression to start with, it was with the complete lack of exit strategy for that which led to all the confusion and "shutdown malaise."
agsalaska
AG
k2aggie07 said:

*with aggressive contact tracing and testing, encouraging work from home and voluntary social distancing policies.

The stay at home policies were both ineffective AND come with a moral and political hazard. The problem wasn't with the 15 days of suppression to start with, it was with the complete lack of exit strategy for that which led to all the confusion and "shutdown malaise."

I have nothing to add other than when I quote your post it gives a paragraph that wasnt there. That's really weird.

Never mind. I wasnt seeing your edit on the mobile app.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Elko is a loser and we will be buying him out for some obscene amount of money in two years. - Agsalaska

cone
AG
well that and the hospitalization rate was a fraction of what was estimated/predicted
BigRobSA
k2aggie07 said:

Meh.

Unnecessary

Open it up. Full stop.
cone
AG
why stop there?

why not forced variolation?

it's just the flu. if you die from it, it's cuz you were already too weak.
WestAustinAg
AG
k2aggie07 said:

I think the goal can be best summarized as "try to reach herd immunity as quickly and as safely (meaning reduced loss of life) as possible."

That means sheltering high risk groups and resuming life for others. That means we safeguard the hospital beds and PPE needed for hot spots. That means lots and lots of blind sampling of antibody growth.
nu awlins ag
AG
Quote:

The problem wasn't with the 15 days of suppression to start with,
Had the whole US done this starting on March 16th through the end of the month, maybe, just maybe things would have been a bit better. Too many states didn't act until a week or 2 later. It should have been "5 o'clock somewhere" for the past month.
WestAustinAg
AG
dBoy99 said:

k2 is not a virus hugger. He's just a super hi-level intelligence guy who breaks down complex subjects like epidemiology, virology, statistics, genetics, and immunology (just to name a few) for us rubes on forum 16. He's a self-taught, super genius expert. He doesn't pick sides - he's above all that. He is an uninvolved 3rd party, just compiling knowledge and sharing it with us. He doesn't care if we all live or die or crash the economy - his purpose is to share information and try to enlighten us.

That was just mean...
flown-the-coop
AG
Want to see Americans really revolt, go ahead and implement "aggressive contact tracing".

So Joe happens to pass close by someone (Fred) who subsequently tests positive. Maybe Joe had the app enabled on his phone or maybe did not know how to turn it off. Or hell, maybe Joe was at a park and met Fred who helped him load his kayak on his car.

Joe just returned back to work in a non-essential business where he received no paycheck and his unemployment has been delayed. He is looking for his first real paycheck in months and able to buy real groceries and make a past due rent payment.

Now the "contact tracer" is going to knock on his door and make him test but regardless of test make him stay home for two more weeks. He then gets let go of job and now is still having trouble getting unemployment.

Joe's wife is stressed out again, his kids are hungry and he starts thinking enough of this and works on sorting through his ammo.

Lockdowns and such were to keep the hospitals from being overwhelmed. Contact tracing, particularly aggressive and non-voluntary, is the stupidest, most un-American idea put forth since Bernie Sanders finally quit flapping his gums on TV a few weeks ago.
30wedge
dBoy99 said:

lol
agsalaska
AG
I do not like the idea of contact tracing either. I'm not comfortable with that at all. Yes I know the technology already exists and in some ways already practiced. But applying it here is a no go for me. Let the government do that and they will never stop. Things like that never go away.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Elko is a loser and we will be buying him out for some obscene amount of money in two years. - Agsalaska

Zobel
AG
Totally agreed - I am *way* more concerned about the civil liberties with contact tracing vs stay at home orders.

I absolutely do NOT think a surveillance program is the way to go. Unfortunately I don't even trust an opt-in surveillance program. I frankly don't trust any entity to do that. The cat's out of the bag though, cell phones give off so much personal identifying information and location data as it is that it's probably a moot point - but why put the cherry on top?

When I talked about tracing I meant more of what we were doing in March, just scaled up - where have you been, who did you talk to, then work the chain. Traditional detective type work, not big brother surveillance work.
BadMoonRisin
AG
k2aggie07 said:

Totally agreed - I am *way* more concerned about the civil liberties with contact tracing vs stay at home orders.

I absolutely do NOT think a surveillance program is the way to go. Unfortunately I don't even trust an opt-in surveillance program. I frankly don't trust any entity to do that. The cat's out of the bag though, cell phones give off so much personal identifying information and location data as it is that it's probably a moot point - but why put the cherry on top?

When I talked about tracing I meant more of what we were doing in March, just scaled up - where have you been, who did you talk to, then work the chain. Traditional detective type work, not big brother surveillance work.
Well with all due respect, why should anyone give a **** what you think or "trust"?

You're just some guy on the internet, just like everyone else.
Zobel
AG
I'm agreeing with another poster - what a dick, right?
mazag08
AG
k2aggie07 said:

I'm agreeing with another poster - what a dick, right?

It's an excel formula..

=if(username=k2aggie07,"assume jerk and reply with angry blast post","ignore")
RGLAG85
AG
dBoy99 said:

Here's the illogical problem with the whole"overshoot" narrative that is just one more thing these super genius experts seem to miss when they see these talking points and say, "hey, that makes sense" without any common sense examining. You won't over shoot 70% unless people actively seek vulnerable people to intentionally infect. Why you ask and they never do? We can rush to herd immunity but there are safety catches that start to automatically slow this thing down dramatically. Between 30-50%, the infection rate drops dramatically because host begin to lose receptors to spread to. You may overshoot 50% but at that point natural infection reduction starts to put a hard break on the spread. You want to say you can overshoot 50%, ok, but at that point the susceptible will be so spread out that it naturally begins to flame out. You'll then, short of actively seeking receptors, gradually get to the 70% that likely kills it. I can't keep you in shackles if I give you a logical prediction of how to reach herd immunity quickly because it would blow my desire of scaring the **** out of you. Now I'm not saying K2 has that narrative, he's just regurgitating. Hence the "stay calm, all is well" you didn't understand.
Thomas Jefferson: "When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery."
Zobel
AG
Forgive me, but the overshoot dynamic is exactly the result of what you're describing. The herd immunity number and the number of people left uninfected aren't the same. The difference is overshoot... all of the overshoot is the number of infections that happen after that inflection point. But that's all theory for an unmitigated outbreak, which we don't have, which isn't going to happen, so it doesn't matter.

The reason I brought up overshoot was because there's a thought that the area under the curve is the same regardless of how fast the outbreak happens. It's not. Herd immunity is fixed, but overshoot isn't.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
RGLAG85 said:

dBoy99 said:

Here's the illogical problem with the whole"overshoot" narrative that is just one more thing these super genius experts seem to miss when they see these talking points and say, "hey, that makes sense" without any common sense examining. You won't over shoot 70% unless people actively seek vulnerable people to intentionally infect. Why you ask and they never do? We can rush to herd immunity but there are safety catches that start to automatically slow this thing down dramatically. Between 30-50%, the infection rate drops dramatically because host begin to lose receptors to spread to. You may overshoot 50% but at that point natural infection reduction starts to put a hard break on the spread. You want to say you can overshoot 50%, ok, but at that point the susceptible will be so spread out that it naturally begins to flame out. You'll then, short of actively seeking receptors, gradually get to the 70% that likely kills it. I can't keep you in shackles if I give you a logical prediction of how to reach herd immunity quickly because it would blow my desire of scaring the **** out of you. Now I'm not saying K2 has that narrative, he's just regurgitating. Hence the "stay calm, all is well" you didn't understand.
You see, that's where aggressive contact tracing comes in and we insure that the previously infected find the remaining "clean" people and sit the spreaders in a chinese buffet restaurant upwind of the AC unit. Problem solved.
littledoc91
AG
HI is not fixed, as I've described above. Any point assigned is an arbitrary number. Subjective. There is no overshoot, in my opinion. It is a matter of degrees.

ETA: I don't care of some researchers HI point. Its still arbitrary and subjective.
Zobel
AG
yeah, I agree, especially when you're talking about a population the size of the US. I suppose we may wind up with a very uneven spread. And herd immunity is a moving target too, because I guess it depends in some way on the naive transmission rate but could also be changed by effective transmission rate.

I think theory wise it's not subjective though - it's just a number related to transmission rate.In a petri dish, that's the number. That doesn't mean that's what you're going to get in reality.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.