***Ted Lasso*** (Season 4)

35,295 Views | 367 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by Zombie Jon Snow
Rudyjax
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
agdoc2001 said:

You post on Reddit. Might want to keep those stones in your pocket, chief.

It'll be ok. He's allowed not to like a show you enjoy.


So what. i also only post on a couple of subs. and i know it's an echo chamber. I know the difference.

And it's ok he doesn't like the show. There are plenty of shows i don't like and don't watch. but i don't go to those threads and say it.
Zombie Jon Snow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If the Jane and Beard episode does not use the song Jane by Jefferson Starship I will riot.

Great period song from late 70s right in their cultural reference wheelhouse.
Zombie Jon Snow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Funny little interview thing about the casting of coach Alice Chilton (Tanya Reynolds). They have a great little rapport in this interview.

But apparently she played the audition scene like deadpan instead of comedic like everyone else and they loved it.



brillag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How some of you can watch a fun, lighthearted show like this and be so miserable is beyond me.

That is all.
oldarmyag95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
huge TL season 1-3 fan, this season is just dumb and boring
Rudyjax
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
oldarmyag95 said:

huge TL season 1-3 fan, this season is just dumb and boring


Sorry you think that.
et98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I thought this episode was so much more on par with what we're used to.

Finally getting to know the players a little.

The Trent Crimm podcast was awesome, and I wouldn't hate it at all if he narrated the whole season with various characters from previous seasons on each episode. There were several players that could stop in for a podcast visit along with Nate as well.

I was very skeptical earlier of Roy Kent's role in the show, and I still am. But that storyline about dating all those women in one night, the talking to Keylee with Higgins right there and not letting him leave, and having Higgins trapped in the group chat were all freaking hilarious. And of course, we all know he's going to start dating the doctor.

Keylee is still just as ridiculous and annoying as ever, and Beard going essentially catatonic was absurd, although I can recognize the comparison to people shutting down when their ex is mentioned. I get it...just a little over the top.

Tracey Ullman is awesome and her additional to any show will always make it better.

I've had a soft spot in my heart for Ullman for the last 30 years. Not everyone agrees, but she somewhat famously suffered the worst screw job of just about anyone in the history of television, and her drunken rants on Ted Lasso are spelling it out perfectly in a beautiful allegory. If you don't know what I'm talking about, "The Simpsons" was actually a spinoff of her sketch comedy show. There would be no Simpsons without her, and she got a whopping $58,000 for the time they were on her show, and then nothing for the spinoff. That's unheard of in the industry, or at least it should be.
Eso si, Que es
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Great Richard Pryor/Gene Wilder reference in this episode. And the Ferris Bueller song sitting in prison was perfect.

FightinTexasAg15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Pretty good episode this week. I enjoyed seeing Ted bond with the team and was interesting to see how he handled coach Alice. Rebecca's drunk halftime speech was great.

The Beard/Jane stuff should just get left behind. Totally un-necessary at this point. Lowest part of the episode.

Roy & Keeley - pick a lane. The will they/wont they, constant changes is getting annoying. It's not a good or well written storyline.
Max Power
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Agree on all points, I like that Alice is serving as a Nate replacement but not a 1 for 1. I'm guessing we learn some more about her pretty soon to help paint the picture on her because she's still a little bit of an enigma so they can move her story forward. They need to move on from both the Beard/Jane and Roy/Keeley stories IMO, they're stagnant and not really worth the screen time. Beard is such a fun character, it feels like he takes a step backward just having Jane even as a presence this season. If Beard had been in England for a while without Ted it feels like he would have moved on and run in a pretty odd circle of characters, not just been stagnant. If this is all they can do to keep Roy as a part of the season then they aren't trying very hard.

Honestly it would have been more fun if they would have figured out a way to make the Ted/Beard/Roy triangle stretch the entire season. That would have been more entertaining than having Beard and Roy both involved in some pretty weak love stories.

My low key MVP so far is Tracey Ullman as Zelda Southport, I've really enjoyed her character as an agent of chaos and foil to Rebecca.
Marauder Blue 6
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Keeley is becoming my least favorite character. When she's around Rebecca, she's needy and childish. When she's around Roy, she's needy and indecisive. At least Higgins' reactions are funny. I'd rather see more of him.
Houston Lee
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think the whole Jane One Woman Show arc and Beard where only pawns to set up the Ted and Stage Manager upcoming love affair.
Rascal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Houston Lee said:

I think the whole Jane One Woman Show arc and Beard where only pawns to set up the Ted and Stage Manager upcoming love affair.

Hopefully that's all it was.
Quad Dog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Rebecca recreating real British soccer moment.

Mr.Bond
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.
Bull Meachem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Nm
Bull Meachem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Marauder Blue 6 said:

Keeley is becoming my least favorite character. When she's around Rebecca, she's needy and childish. When she's around Roy, she's needy and indecisive. At least Higgins' reactions are funny. I'd rather see more of him.


The writing for Keely is a mess. It's almost like they replaced her with a different actress.
sam callahan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I loved Keeley and Rebecca in past seasons.

It's kind of ironic that in this season about female empowerment, all the female characters are portrayed as unhinged or basket cases.

Even strong and stalwart Mae veers into emotionally unbalanced.

It's always good to show character flaws, but it has morphed into their full identities. The best we get is a confident Phoebe glimpse here and there.

Of the characters with the most screen time, Alice seems the most practical one and she is the one they desperately want to make as out of control.

The Tracy Ulman character is on a pedestal like some guru for the others to aspire to and she just makes me cringe.

I'm invested in the series, so I'll keep watching, but if this were season one I would have tapped out by now.
CowtownAg06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Keely is rough. Her trying to cry in bed with Rebecca is some of the worst acting I've ever seen.
fig96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm looking forward to getting more of Alice's story.

It's pretty clear she feels like an outsider, then feels that even more when the team starts to really connect with Ted. She lashes out a bit with what she knows in coaching them hard, which only makes it worse. But that's probably the only way she knows to coach and be coached.
aggiegrad01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This is what I see when Ted tells Alice she is taking a game off:

aggiegrad01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Absolutely!
TP Ag '87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The show has become almost unwatchable. Can't say I laughed once in the last episode. It's just trying too hard, on all fronts. Keely, Roy, Rebecca, the dude Rebecca's with, the Jane show,...even poor Higgins, who deserves better.

When my wife, who has used TL as her go-to to fall asleep as well as chill watch to ease stress, says it's bad, that says something.
FightinTexasAg15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Apart from all the valid criticisms of acting and storylines, I thought the last episode felt like they were rushing the story.

The whole idea that a brand new women's team to the league with a coaching staff that had not coached together in the women's league was going up against the best or one of the best teams of the league and then is able to tie the game?

The idea that this team should be embarrased they were only down 2 goals to the best team in the league and that they were able to come back and tie the game seems unearned and unbelievable for where we are at in the story.

The mens team found themselves down many more goals than 2 against lesser opponents in their games before they started hitting their stride. And they were an established program.

I know part of it was to show the harsh side of coach Alice, but I just felt like we are rushing into making the team good and functional
et98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
And along with the "feeling rushed" theme, my wife and I both thought the Rebecca breakup thing went from 0 to 100 in no time flat. His "we should take a break" line seemed to come out of nowhere. It was weird and awkward.
Rascal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
et98 said:

And along with the "feeling rushed" theme, my wife and I both thought the Rebecca breakup thing went from 0 to 100 in no time flat. His "we should take a break" line seemed to come out of nowhere. It was weird and awkward.

100% my thoughts. Very weird. It seems the daughter may have intentionally twisted the story, but neither he or Rebecca even investigated further. They just said BYE BYE to each other in 2 mins.

The storyline of the team getting to know Ted was nice and the arc of how he is about to find romance, although weird, is a good plot line developing, so we'll see where that goes and if/how it intersects with Ted's ex wife and son living in England.

It's pretty standard fare for a Ted Lasso program. Keely has always been annoying AF, but she is one of the stars of the show so I get why they have to focus on her so much.

None of the women soccer players are compelling except for figuring out the history between the coach and the star player. But I suspect we'll learn more about a couple of them soon.
fig96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
et98 said:

And along with the "feeling rushed" theme, my wife and I both thought the Rebecca breakup thing went from 0 to 100 in no time flat. His "we should take a break" line seemed to come out of nowhere. It was weird and awkward.

I felt like that was kind of the point, he got suddenly very defensive for no real reason. Seems like there's something else happening with him or his situation that we haven't been filled in on yet.
Rudyjax
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
aggiegrad01 said:

This is what I see when Ted tells Alice she is taking a game off:




That's mean but apt.
PatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hard to hear reason over the trumpets of angels is a good line
Southlake
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This whole episode was awkward and disjointed… I was cringing when Keeley was in bed with Rebecca - OMG, please don't kiss her!!
OldArmy71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeah, we went through most of a season with Keeley and her female fling.
Squadron7
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

The storyline of the team getting to know Ted was nice....


Like almost everything this season this seems less like a line than a point.

The millisecond it was revealed he was moving I knew what was going to happen....eventually, I thought. Nope. It was immediate.

So rushed, all of it.
CheeseSndwch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Where's Henry? I thought we'd get more fish out of water moments with him and Ted this season, especially with him attending the same school as Phoebe.
Rudyjax
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Boots actor is absolutely gorgeous.
Rudyjax
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CheeseSndwch said:

Where's Henry? I thought we'd get more fish out of water moments with him and Ted this season, especially with him attending the same school as Phoebe.


Patience.
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.