*** GLADIATOR 2 ***

20,387 Views | 206 Replies | Last: 25 days ago by pb488
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hmm. Yeah that makes sense. But yeah, "ratting out" definitely too strong a term for it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
For some extra connective tissue, hopefully they bring back Connie Nielsen. Maybe even Djimon Honsou.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

For some extra connective tissue, hopefully they bring back Connie Nielsen. Maybe even Djimon Honsou.

I've seen unconfirmed reports that both are coming back.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Nice.
TCTTS
AG
BenFiasco14 said:

I would love to see this script done through an animated movie or mini series tho. That could be bad ass.

For sure. It could have been a really cool follow up as an animated piece or graphic novel or something. It's too weird to be a mainstream sequel, but it's also interesting enough that it could have worked really well as ancillary content.
DTP02
AG
Cromagnum
AG
No way it is even remotely as good as the original.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Probably. But, if it's half as good, that's already a win. Already better than most movies of a given year.

I was hesitant when I heard about it but have kind of come around on it. Denzel wouldn't sign on if the script wasn't solid.

Plus, if we get a follow-up to one of Hans Zimmer's best scores, that in and of itself is exciting enough.
TCTTS
AG
AggieArchitect04 said:

No idea who the lead actor is.

Paul Mescal's first big role was in 2020 as one of two leads in Hulu's critically acclaimed Normal People, which I thought was easy the best show that year, and one of the single best seasons of television I've ever seen...

Then, he earned an Oscar nomination this year for Best Actor in a Leading Role in an indie called Aftersun...

He's basically the new "it" guy in Hollywood, and someone who could have easily been in a Marvel movie by now, but has largely chosen to stick to the indie/drama scene until now.

If anything, in Normal People, I literally remember thinking he looked like a Roman statue - just something about his face looks classically Greek (even though he's Irish) - so it's appropriate for that reason alone that Ridley Scott cast him as the lead in this. Never mind the fact that he's an incredible actor.
Sea Speed
AG
jeffk said:

AliasMan02 said:

No way they call this Gladiator 2, right? Or even Gladiator? Is there any chance that being a gladiator plays in?

2 Fast 2 Gladiators

This joke never gets old.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Yea I got a big laugh earlier scrolling the thread and coming across that one.
CondensedFogAggie
TCTTS said:

He's basically the new "it" guy in Hollywood, and someone who could have easily been in a Marvel movie by now, but has largely chosen to stick to the indie/drama scene until now.

Wasn't Russell Crowe also relatively unknown before Gladiator came out? So this won't be the first time a Gladiator movie bets on a newcomer.
FL_Ag1998
AG
CondensedFogAggie said:

TCTTS said:

Wasn't Russell Crowe also relatively unknown before Gladiator came out? So this won't be the first time a Gladiator movie bets on a newcomer.

Crowe was in several high profile movies before Gladiator (L.A. Confidential, The Insider, Mystery, Alaska, The Quick and the Dead, Virtuosity). But I'd say Gladiator and A Beautiful Mind a year later sealed him as a major lead actor.
The Real Napster
GladiatorS
SoTxAg
AG
You left out Romper Stomper.
Sea Speed
AG
SoTxAg said:

You left out Romper Stomper.

Wooooow. Hadn't heard that name in a while.
CoppellAg93
AG
Gladiator 2 - Delucius Bugaloo
TXAGFAN
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

TXAGFAN said:

The Porkchop Express said:

Gladiator has always been the shining example of a spectacular film that they didn't feel the need to do a sequel to. Perfect films don't need a part 2.
I would typically agree, but the time they waited and angle of son could be interesting. I hope it does well, they don't make movies like Gladiator (large historical action movies) as much or as well I feel like nowadays.

That kid isn't Maximus's son. His son got trucked by a horse back on the farm. Lucius is a kid who had a 5 minute conversation with Maximus one time and watched him kill a bunch if people including his own uncle. I'll shut up now. Hope you guys enjoy the film.
Uh yeah…I know. I didn't say he was.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Cromagnum said:

I'm pretty much always in the "doesn't need a sequel or remake" camp, but as long as Ridley Scott is directing it's going to be worth watching. We're not exactly saturated with historical epics these days, yet he's done two of them amazingly well.
AGinHI
AG
Microwave Onions said:

Cromagnum said:

I'm pretty much always in the "doesn't need a sequel or remake" camp, but as long as Ridley Scott is directing it's going to be worth watching.
He did a bang up job revisiting Alien.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
He did actually. Prometheus is the *****
AGinHI
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
One should not look at Prometheus as an Alien movie, per se. Yes, it is a prequel with definite ties to Alien, but it tells a completely different kind of story and explores far different themes (creation, origin of the xenomorphs, who the engineers are). And it introduces one of the most evil characters ever to grace a cinema screen in the android David, although the depths of his evil would not be as crystal clear until Alien Covenant. AC is much more of an Alien movie. It has its moments - I contend the opening sequence of conversation between Weyland and David is among the best things Ridley Scott has ever filmed. As far as the overall experience of that movie, it certainly comes up short when compared to Alien or Aliens, but it blows away Alien 3 and that abortion of a movie, Alien Resurrection.

Back to the topic at hand, I too never thought Gladiator needed a sequel. But since it's happening, I will definitely see this one. And please give us another Hans Zimmer score that I can keep in my recurring playlist.
Noblemen06
AG
Prometheus and Alien Covenant were good
LMCane
other than Denzell -have not ever heard of those "stars" for this movie.

but at the time, everyone had heard of Russell Crowe
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
What about Joaquin Phoenix?
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Immediately recognized him as the guy who played Darlene's boyfriend on Roseanne. He's come a long way from goofy laugh-track sitcoms.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
You're thinking of Johnny Galecki.
Dimebag Darrell
Blade Runner was a truly groundbreaking film and I often forget that was Ridley Scott. Hoping the Gladiator sequel is amazing and know he CAN pull it off, but sometimes aging is hard to combat and some people just begin to lose what made them special at their craft as they do so.
Dimebag Darrell
LMCane said:

other than Denzell -have not ever heard of those "stars" for this movie.

but at the time, everyone had heard of Russell Crowe

The main protagonist and antagonist in this one are big up and coming actors with some bonafides who have nailed their roles in some popular movies and shows. They can act their asses off. I just hope they can convince us they're men and not gen z boys in this one. Take roids, do whatever you gotta do for this role

Most people over 40 prob can't match their names to their faces, but many from that group have seen them in a role or two.
Faustus
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

One should not look at Prometheus as an Alien movie, per se. Yes, it is a prequel with definite ties to Alien, but it tells a completely different kind of story and explores far different themes (creation, origin of the xenomorphs, who the engineers are). And it introduces one of the most evil characters ever to grace a cinema screen in the android David, although the depths of his evil would not be as crystal clear until Alien Covenant. AC is much more of an Alien movie. It has its moments - I contend the opening sequence of conversation between Weyland and David is among the best things Ridley Scott has ever filmed. As far as the overall experience of that movie, it certainly comes up short when compared to Alien or Aliens, but it blows away Alien 3 and that abortion of a movie, Alien Resurrection.

Back to the topic at hand, I too never thought Gladiator needed a sequel. But since it's happening, I will definitely see this one. And please give us another Hans Zimmer score that I can keep in my recurring playlist.
I always had a soft spot for Alien Resurrection.

It was written by Joss Whedon, and directed by Jean-Pierre Jeunet (Delicatessen, The City of Lost Children, and Amelie).

The director employed some of his usual actors, Dominque Pinon and Ron Perlman. They, and some of the other character actors like Michael Wincott, Brad Dourif, Dan Hedaya, and J.E. Freeman, all looked to be having a good time.

The ending wasn't great, but Whedon said they tossed that part of his script.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Faustus said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

I always had a soft spot for Alien Resurrection.

It was written by Joss Whedon, and directed by Jean-Pierre Jeunet (Delicatessen, The City of Lost Children, and Amelie).

The director employed some of his usual actors, Dominque Pinon and Ron Perlman. They, and some of the other character actors like Michael Wincott, Brad Dourif, Dan Hedaya, and J.E. Freeman, all looked to be having a good time.

The ending wasn't great, but Whedon said they tossed that part of his script.
My biggest gripes with Alien Resurrection was that it was too cartoony and too juvenile.

Examples - when one character is holding up objects for clone 8 Ripley to identify, he holds up a fork and she says f*ck. What are we, in 7th grade? Then we have the French officer in charge of the research station have an alien rip out the back of his head, and instead of just falling to the floor dead, the guy has time to reach around his head, come back with a piece of his brain, and then fall dead. Stupid. Going back to the original movie, the aliens should not be so visible for large amounts of their on screen time, but here we get them front-and-center swimming through the water, as just one example. This is not only an issue in this film, as it really started toward the end of Alien 3 and continued in Scott's Alien Covenant. It's possible that one simply cannot conceal the critter as Alien/Aliens did due to all the imagery of the thing, toys and models and stuff that are very well known now.

Having said all of that, Alien Resurrection had potential to be far better than it was, but I feel that Whedon was responsible for much of the tone of the movie. Whedon had similar issues in Avengers Age of Ultron (Iron Man saying that Black Widow and Hulk were playing hide the salami at one point, juvenile crap like that). I'm sure that he did have interference from the studio, as this has been a problem with all of these movies. Alien 3 has a notorious history of how that one eventually got to screen. With Alien, Scott envisioned a far different ending that would have prevented all these sequels (at least featuring Ripley) from happening, but TCF intervened for the better in that case.
cc10106
TCTTS said:

For years, Scott & co tried to get a sequel off the ground that saw Maximus traverse the afterlife - specifically, Hades, in attempt to to get to his (obviously deceased as well) wife and and kid or something. Crowe was attached, and a script was even written, which I have a copy of, though I've never read it. Apparently it's somehow not terrible, though, but pretty weird. Too weird to ever actually get made, thankfully, as everyone finally came to their senses.
Was that Nick Cave's script? I would have been down for that weirdness.
Carlo4
AG
Can Nicolas Cage play the over the top Emperor? I think he would be able to pull it off.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, that's the one.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.