*** GLADIATOR 2 ***

20,399 Views | 206 Replies | Last: 25 days ago by pb488
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That's damn good casting. I can definitely see it.
TCTTS
AG
Max Power
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

cbr
AG
Gladiator shocked me as a surprise good movie

I am suspicious that a sequel could go wrong.
The Dog Lord
AG
cbr said:

Part of me is worried as well, but I'm really excited about some of the cast
dude95
AG
TCTTS said:

Yeah, that's the one.
I skipped to the bottom of the script. There were helicopters and automatic weapons. I did not make that up.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
There are endless plot lines in Roman and Byzantine history than need little to no elaboration by Hollywood. I wish we could get more fictionalized yet largely historical epics based on the these subjects. Unlike the historical-ish crap that litters Netflix, Gladiator did an excellent job of alluding to sex/romance without it being in your face and taking over the plot.
hunter2012
AG
P.H. Dexippus said:

There are endless plot lines in Roman and Byzantine history than need little to no elaboration by Hollywood. I wish we could get more fictionalized yet largely historical epics based on the these subjects. Unlike the historical-ish crap that litters Netflix, Gladiator did an excellent job of alluding to sex/romance without it being in your face and taking over the plot.
The Nika riots would be a great spiritual successor to Gladiator if they were to keep the cinematography the same. Such a crazy story, imagine a country where your team loyalties were also tied to politics(like an Aggie political party representing in DC, or more realistically if Democrats and Republicans backed certain teams and it's all based on the red vs blue colors). These fan clubs' influence extended as far as to include the Emperor and Empress and the highest levels of government and the military.

There's a particularly epic scene where the riots threaten the palace and the mob attempts to overthrow the emperor, the Emperor Justinian and all of his advisors are all making plans to flee into exile and his Empress(a low borne former prostitute) challenged all of them essentially saying. "Purple is the color of royalty, and purple is my robe so therefore purple will also be my shroud." Essentially saying that she would rather die a royal than run into exile. setup that scene properly and you would have a feminist icon to satisfy any DEI standard, because the reality was that she shamed a room full of men and inspired them to stay and fight for the throne including the emperor. The Hagia Sophia was built in the ruined aftermath of the riots which is still the great iconic structure in Turkey still today.
TCTTS
AG
Aggie_Journalist
AG
More like emperor geta-real-name
Thanks and gig'em
BG Knocc Out
TCTTS said:

Not sure what his role is going to be, but Pascal could be very convincing as a Spaniard...or just general citizen or soldier of ancient Rome. He's definitely got the look. Paul Mescal kind of has a Roman/Greek statue look too.
jokershady
AG
thought some nostalgia would be nice....

TCTTS
AG
La Bamba
AG
As others have said, there's so much built-in drama to Roman history that there's no need to get over the top crazy with this. Please no trips to the otherworld or making it overly-religious. Hopefully it's within the context of the history with some dramatization to tell the story. But if Maximus starts looking for his wife in Hades, I ain't watching. And I like movies/shows about Rome, although I don't think there are many "great" ones out there outside of Gladiator and Rome the HBO series. I thought The Eagle, Pompeii, Barbarians and Spartacus were all rather "meh".
TCTTS
AG

MaroonStain
AG
Hate to be 'That Guy' butt this will be ass stank.
Hubert J. Farnsworth
I really hope this is a hit. Does anyone know a little bit about what the basic plot will be?
TCTTS
AG
MaroonStain said:

Scott may very well be hit or miss the past few years, but he doesn't direct "ass stank." At worst this will be just okay. With this cast, though? I highly doubt it's not at least entertaining.
TCTTS
AG
Hubert J. Farnsworth said:

I really hope this is a hit. Does anyone know a little bit about what the basic plot will be?

Only that it centers on a grown up Lucius (the son of Lucilla, played by Connie Nielsen in the original, and the nephew of Commodus, played by Joaquin Phoenix in the original), he's a gladiator of some sort, and Denzel is playing his mentor. Nothing else is known at this point. Hopefully we start to learn more/get the first trailer at some point this spring/early summer.
Hubert J. Farnsworth
TCTTS said:

Only that it centers on a grown up Lucius (the son of Lucilla, played by Connie Nielsen in the original, and the nephew of Commodus, played by Joaquin Phoenix in the original), he's a gladiator of some sort, and Denzel is playing his mentor. Nothing else is known at this point. Hopefully we start to learn more/get the first trailer at some point this spring/early summer.

I wonder how they will explain how someone of royalty became a gladiator.
The Porkchop Express

TCTTS said:

I wonder how they will explain how someone of basically royalty became a gladiator.

He got cancelled.
Hubert J. Farnsworth
The Porkchop Express said:

TCTTS said:

I wonder how they will explain how someone of basically royalty became a gladiator.

He got cancelled.

Lol.
TXAG 05
AG
Maybe there is a new emperor who made his family "illegal" or something like that, and Lucius has to fight his way back. But that would probably be too much like the first one.
The Porkchop Express
I actually got a sneak peak at the prologue of Gladiator 2: Dimon Hounsou
Seems familiar for some reason. ...

The RISE OF LUCIUS

The dead speak! The Roman Empire has heard a mysterious scroll read, a threat of REVENGE in the sinister voice of the EMPEROR COMMODUS.

SENATOR GRACCHUS dispatches Senatorial pages to gather intelligence, while LUCIUS, the last hope of tying this movie to the other movie, trains for battle against the diabolical TIGRIS OF GAUL JR.

Meanwhile, EMPEROR EDDIE MUNSON from Hawkins Indiana, rages, in search of this phantom Joker, determined to destroy any threat to his power ...

LeonardSkinner
TCTTS said:

MaroonStain said:

Scott may very well be hit or miss the past few years, but he doesn't direct "ass stank." At worst this will be just okay. With this cast, though? I highly doubt it's not at least entertaining.

Sooo… we know exactly what question to ask you when it premieres.
Faustus
cbr said:

It would be the rare sequel that did end up going wrong if so.

TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Are the pictures showing up for anyone?
TCTTS
AG
They're just pictures from the first movie. No official still from the sequel have been released yet.
BassCowboy33
TXAG 05 said:

Maybe there is a new emperor who made his family "illegal" or something like that, and Lucius has to fight his way back. But that would probably be too much like the first one.
If you follow the history of ancient Rome, it wasn't uncommon for people of high political station to be exiled, assassinated, executed, or bankrupted. It actually makes our divisions look pretty tame by comparison.
TCTTS
AG
Along with the first piece of official marketing we finally have an official title and it's the very appropriate, clean, and Roman numeraled...

Gladiator II

TCTTS
AG
The above image is from Las Vegas, were CinemaCon kicks off next week for theater owners and entertainment journalists, where the first trailer will almost assuredly debut for the crowd there during Universal's panel on Wednesday. If so, we'll definitely get a description, but no idea if the public will get to see the trailer then as well. My guess is that we'll for sure get it with The Fall Guy - another Universal movie - in just under a month. So maybe they just go ahead and release it online net week, but who knows. Either way, it's likely close...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It's bugging me that they didn't just go with GLADIIATOR

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.