*** GLADIATOR 2 ***

20,317 Views | 206 Replies | Last: 21 days ago by pb488
not hedge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sucks, would've like Christianity to stay out since Christianity wasn't in rome during that time
CondensedFogAggie
Decades later Im still pissed the kid ratted out Maximus
CondensedFogAggie
The Porkchop Express said:

Gladiator has always been the shining example of a spectacular film that they didn't feel the need to do a sequel to. Perfect films don't need a part 2.

Hopefully it goes the way of Top Gun Maverick
Scriffer
AG
Just skip to the last two pages
The Porkchop Express
TXAGFAN said:

Gladiator has always been the shining example of a spectacular film that they didn't feel the need to do a sequel to. Perfect films don't need a part 2.
I would typically agree, but the time they waited and angle of son could be interesting. I hope it does well, they don't make movies like Gladiator (large historical action movies) as much or as well I feel like nowadays.

That kid isn't Maximus's son. His son got trucked by a horse back on the farm. Lucius is a kid who had a 5 minute conversation with Maximus one time and watched him kill a bunch if people including his own uncle. I'll shut up now. Hope you guys enjoy the film.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
TCTTS
AG
Lucius clearly revered Maximus, but was also the nephew of/"groomed" by the villain of the movie, an evil emperor. Someone once caught between those two worlds, twenty years later, could make for a really interesting lead. Throw Denzel and Barry Keoghan into the mix, and this at least has a chance to be something great. If anything, it's not worthy of outright dismissal.

That, and it's no more of a nostalgic, unnecessary cash grab than The Force Awakens. Return of the Jedi ended that story just as emphatically as the end of the first Gladiator put a bow on that story. You could also argue that ancient Rome offers equally fertile ground for more stories set in that world as a galaxy far, far away, so I don't really see the issue in this instance.
Robert L. Peters
They should have just done a prequel on Marcus Aurelius.
What you say, Paper Champion? I'm gonna beat you like a dog, a dog, you hear me!
CondensedFogAggie
TXAGFAN said:

I would typically agree, but the time they waited and angle of son could be interesting. I hope it does well, they don't make movies like Gladiator (large historical action movies) as much or as well I feel like nowadays.

Kingdom of Heaven to me is the last historical action film that actually seemed to be of a spectacular scale.

It was touching, grotesque, raw and tragic all at the same time. Would definitely welcome a sequel, or a prequel about the earlier crusades.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
CondensedFogAggie said:

Huh?
Not a Bot
AG
Significantly underrated film, in my opinion.
Prosperdick
AG
BenFiasco14
AG
I would love to see this script done through an animated movie or mini series tho. That could be bad ass.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
TCTTS said:

TCTTS said:

When I get home I'll post it and you guys can find out for yourselves.

I didn't even have to post my copy. Just discovered that it's pretty easy to find online now...

https://davidgerard.co.uk/gladiator-2-nick-cave.pdf

Gladiator II: The Bad Seed
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
not hedge said:

Sucks, would've like Christianity to stay out since Christianity wasn't in rome during that time

By the time of Marcus Aurelius?
not hedge
It wasn't til around 300 AD that it became prevalent
p_bubel
jokershady said:

Pretty sure he'll still be deadā€¦unless this movie also decides to venture into the multiverseā€¦
Don't give them ideas...
The Kraken
AG
plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
The Edict of Milan was 313, but that was not the beginning.

Mayor West
AG
This is stupid and completely unnecessary. No way an I going to watch thisā€¦,

AliasMan02
AG
That's a serious meme violation for incorrect quotation.
Belton Ag
AG
not hedge said:

It wasn't til around 300 AD that it became prevalent

I don't know what you consider prevalent but Christianity had spread to Rome itself long before 300.

Christians were proselytizing in Rome within decades of the traditional death of Christ, and Tacitus himself was writing about them in his lifetime.

I mean, if you consider "prevalent" to be adopting it as the state religion, then yes, but that's a pretty high bar.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Gladiator: Drug Spies
AggieArchitect04
AG
No idea who the lead actor is.
Garrelli 5000
AG
I understand the sentiment that making a sequel could do more harm to the original than good.

To me as long as they make a good movie that can realistically portray the time period and visually bring it to life - I don' t care if they call it something random or "Gladiator Dos -It's the Tits". I'll go on day 1 to see it.
Take the trash out staff.
YouBet
AG
Gladiator 2: Senate Boogaloo
PatAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

CondensedFogAggie said:

Huh?
Do you not remember the movie?
Big Al 1992
AG
I could see Denzel as the Oliver Reed type character - in it for himself but then warms to Lucious, starts to respect him and then helps him with whatever they are up against.
The Real Napster
Gladiator 2: female cast(Melissa m., kristen wiig, etc.)
Wildmen06
AG
PatAg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

CondensedFogAggie said:

Huh?

I wouldn't say ratted out. He didn't really do it on purpose.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
PatAg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

CondensedFogAggie said:

Huh?

I don't remember a scene where he ratted him out. He didn't even know who he really was.

He was a fan of him as a fighter, aka The Spaniard, and gets Commodus to notice him.

Did I miss something? Admittedly I haven't seen it in a few years.
Scriffer
AG
There's a scene where Lucius is playing in the palace and Commodus asks if he's playing Centurion or something like that. Lucius responds with, "I am Maximus! Defender of Rome!"

So no ratting out, but that's what pushes Commodus over the edge. Can't think of anything else
PatAg
AG
Scriffer said:

There's a scene where Lucius is playing in the palace and Commodus asks if he's playing Centurion or something like that. Lucius responds with, "I am Maximus! Defender of Rome!"

So no ratting out, but that's what pushes Commodus over the edge. Can't think of anything else
and then Commodus asks him where he heard that and they show Lucius whisper in his ear.
The next scene is the busy little bees scene. (awesome scene btw)
ratting out is probably a little harsh on the kid but I knew what they meant once he said it.

Man, Joaquin Phoenix just nailed that role
CondensedFogAggie
PatAg said:

Scriffer said:

and then Commodus asks him where he heard that and they show Lucius whisper in his ear.
The next scene is the busy little bees scene. (awesome scene btw)
ratting out is probably a little harsh on the kid but I knew what they meant once he said it.

Man, Joaquin Phoenix just nailed that role

Yeah ratted out is too strong kid had no idea
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Hadn't he already revealed himself to Commodus at that point?
CondensedFogAggie
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Hadn't he already revealed himself to Commodus at that point?

Yeah but he didn't know of the plan to reunite Maximus with his army that was nearby and march on Rome. Which the kid probably led him to investigate and find out

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.