*** GLADIATOR 2 ***

19,663 Views | 206 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by pb488
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ridley Scott returns to direct, for a November 22, 2024 release, and what a cast so far...

- 2023 Oscar nominee Paul Mescal as the lead; a grown up Lucius (the son of Lucilla, played by Connie Nielsen in the original, and the nephew of Commodus, played by Joaquin Phoenix in the original).

- 2023 Oscar nominee Barry Keoghan perfectly cast as the villain, Emperor Geta.

- And now, as of today, Denzel Washington has just been added in a "bad-ass role," which I'm assuming is likely a mentor of sorts?

Aggie_Journalist
AG
In!

Can't wait.
Thanks and gig'em
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Hans Zimmer or GTFO
Dr.Rumack
AliasMan02
AG
I feel like Ridley Scott hasn't had a real hit in a while.
MookieBlaylock
AG
2 Gladiators 1 Cup
CondensedFogAggie
AliasMan02
AG
No way they call this Gladiator 2, right? Or even Gladiator? Is there any chance that being a gladiator plays in?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Gladiators
TCTTS
AG
AliasMan02 said:

I feel like Ridley Scott hasn't had a real hit in a while.

Yeah, The Martian (2015) was probably his last true hit. But Alien: Covenant (2017) has aged surprisingly well, All the Money in the World (2017) was decent, I really liked The Last Duel (2021), and House of Gucci (2012) was dumb but kind of fun. He's since wrapped a Napoleon epic starring Joaquin Phoenix, set to release later this year, which is getting a lot of buzz.
jeffk
AG
AliasMan02 said:

No way they call this Gladiator 2, right? Or even Gladiator? Is there any chance that being a gladiator plays in?

2 Fast 2 Gladiators
TCTTS
AG
AliasMan02 said:

I'm guessing either Gladiator II (the Roman numerals would actually make total sense here) or Gladiator: [Subtitle]. Either way, yeah, by all accounts, Mescal's Lucius somehow gets swept up in the gladiatorial games. That, and they definitely wouldn't make a Gladiator sequel without gladiators playing a central role in some form or fashion.
jr15aggie
AG
Damn it... now I have to watch Gladiator again... which I recently bought a digital version in 4K and Dolby Vision....... damn it..... I mean.... well heck... that sounds like a crazy good Friday Night... thanks guys!
The Porkchop Express
Gladiator has always been the shining example of a spectacular film that they didn't feel the need to do a sequel to. Perfect films don't need a part 2.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
PatAg
AG
They could continue that era of history in a story, without shoehorning gladiators into it.
Sapper Redux
I'm actually fine with a sequel that doesn't forcibly extend Maximus' story.
jokershady
AG
Pretty sure he'll still be dead…unless this movie also decides to venture into the multiverse…
TCTTS
AG
For years, Scott & co tried to get a sequel off the ground that saw Maximus traverse the afterlife - specifically, Hades, in attempt to to get to his (obviously deceased as well) wife and and kid or something. Crowe was attached, and a script was even written, which I have a copy of, though I've never read it. Apparently it's somehow not terrible, though, but pretty weird. Too weird to ever actually get made, thankfully, as everyone finally came to their senses.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Gladiator 2: The Search for More Entertainment
AGinHI
AG
Some stories don't need to be revisited.

And I have no confidence that the magic can be recaptured, especially not by the same director.
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
AliasMan02 said:

Gladiator Returns

Gladiator 2: Dies Irae

Ok I know it's a bad joke if you have to explain the joke but I doubt people here like me took four years of Latin in high school. The fact alone makes everybody else cooler than me.

Dies Irae = Judgement Day in Latin.
jokershady
AG
TCTTS said:

For years, Scott & co tried to get a sequel off the ground that saw Maximus traverse the afterlife - specifically, Hades, in attempt to to get to his (obviously deceased as well) wife and and kid or something. Crowe was attached, and a script was even written, which I have a copy of, though I've never read it. Apparently it's somehow not terrible, though, but pretty weird. Too weird to ever actually get made, thankfully, as everyone finally came to their senses.
thank goodness cause that sounds awful
TCTTS
AG
Granted, Denzel has made some stinkers, but the script, at least, got him excited enough to sign on/re-team with Scott. Mescal is picky as hell too and has been resisting going the blockbuster route until now, which is another encouraging sign as to the quality. I agree that the first movie by no means warranted a sequel, but this is attracting top-notch talent, and it's obviously something Scott & co didn't rush either.
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
TCTTS said:

Did you not want to find out if what he did actually echoed into eternity?
TCTTS
AG
When I get home I'll post it and you guys can find out for yourselves.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Roman history is a wild mess of treason, war, violence, and greed. There is a LOT they could do with this sequel.

One possibility:
Portray Lucius as a Cincinnatus-type character. Someone who fulfilled Maximus' dream of handing power in Rome back to the senate and then retired to farm or serve in the legions with his fellow citizen-soldiers (he has to learn to fight somewhere). But demagogues are on the rise. Introduce some fun political machinations where a villain stokes a crisis so the senate appoints them dictator to stop it, then have them refuse to surrender power. You can lean into real Roman history and give the villain an army of professional soldiers loyal to them over Rome. Lucius could use the symbols of the dead Maximus - his armor - to inspire a rebellion of citizen soldiers and people of Rome against the bad guy. A climax of Lucius wearing the old gladiator armor as he storms the palace to kill the dictator would be epic.

Spend too much time in gladiator pits and folks will complain "this is too much like the first one." They should find ways to summon forth the old imagery we love and recognize without being a retread of that story.
Thanks and gig'em
TCTTS
AG
Maybe you should be writing the sequel. That's legit good stuff.
The Porkchop Express
Lucius should be the bad guy after spending a few days with Commodus. PRobably warped the hell out of him.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
TCTTS said:

Maybe you should be writing the sequel. That's legit good stuff.

Thank you. If you ever want to collaborate with another writer
Thanks and gig'em
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS said:

When I get home I'll post it and you guys can find out for yourselves.

I didn't even have to post my copy. Just discovered that it's pretty easy to find online now...

https://davidgerard.co.uk/gladiator-2-nick-cave.pdf
TCTTS
AG
So I just read the first 20 pages and so far it's honestly not a complete train wreck? It's definitely weird, though, and likely never could have been a real sequel, but the setting/visuals alone would have made for something really interesting and unique. And yeah, basically, in the immediate wake of the first movie, in his death, Maximus has for some reason been cast into some sort of underworld, trying to get to "Elysium," which is at least consistent with the themes of the first movie, with all the talk of the afterlife and Maximus dreaming of infamously brushing his hands through the wheat fields in Elysium, etc.
Gigem314
AG
Gladiator 2: Shadows & Dust
not hedge
I want a movie on Augustus or Trajan
TXAGFAN
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Gladiator has always been the shining example of a spectacular film that they didn't feel the need to do a sequel to. Perfect films don't need a part 2.
I would typically agree, but the time they waited and angle of son could be interesting. I hope it does well, they don't make movies like Gladiator (large historical action movies) as much or as well I feel like nowadays.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS said:

So I just read the first 20 pages and so far it's honestly not a complete train wreck? It's definitely weird, though, and likely never could have been a real sequel, but the setting/visuals alone would have made for something really interesting and unique. And yeah, basically, in the immediate wake of the first movie, in his death, Maximus has for some reason been cast into some sort of underworld, trying to get to "Elysium," which is at least consistent with the themes of the first movie, with all the talk of the afterlife and Maximus dreaming of infamously brushing his hands through the wheat fields in Elysium, etc.

Ha, I may have spoken too soon because things just got even weirder. I have no clue how, but this suddenly turned on a dime into a Romans vs Christians movie? Like a pro-Christian, anti-Romans movie? I think? The term "What in the hell?" has rarely felt more appropriate...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.