Sanderson Stormlight

95,429 Views | 1014 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Roll the Bones
Definitely Not A Cop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Who's getting a new book tomorrow? I'm waiting for the audiobook on Spotify on the 15th.
Quad Dog
AG
Definitely Not A Cop said:

Who's getting a new book tomorrow? I'm waiting for the audiobook on Spotify on the 15th.
Me! But I'm in the middle of reading another book right now, so it'll be a few days before I start it.
I purchased the ebook bundle.
Karrde
AG
Looking forward to it at midnightish (moutain time) tonight.
AgLiving06
I had to double check what I signed up for.

I should get the audiobook and then the hardcover comes later.
Saxsoon
AG
Love the cover artwork as well as the hoid stuff that was provided.
Eliminatus
AG
FINALLY knocked out Elantris. A book I have owned for at least three years now.

I know it is his fist published work and considered one of his weaker offerings, even in his own eyes, but still loved it. Lot more politicking that I was expecting, but I actually appreciated it and gave the story more weight in terms of fighting rather than just swinging swords.

Also, a vote to have staff to rename this thread to just Sanderson Cosmere Universe or something similar? This thread has definitely grown outside the bounds of just Stormlight at this point.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Nice!

Also, it is funny that the thread is tied to the question mark emoji.

Finished Lost Metal last night. Reading epilogues now (multiple!).
Roll the Bones
AG
I just finished the 2nd Mistborn era 1 novel - wow, what a fantastic last 100 pages!

About a quarter through the 3rd book. I think the system of magic in this series would look fantastic in a TV series. It is just perfect for an exciting visual presentation.
Saxsoon
AG
Tress of the Emerald Sea is a COSMERE HEAVY Book

Seen the following mentioned Hoid is the narrator, advanced Nalthian tech, Connection, Kandra, Roseite

(Just the first 100 or so pages)
Chipotlemonger
AG
I agree with that. The Mistborn stuff would translate well to screen I think.
Quad Dog
AG
Roll the Bones said:

I just finished the 2nd Mistborn era 1 novel - wow, what a fantastic last 100 pages!

About a quarter through the 3rd book. I think the system of magic in this series would look fantastic in a TV series. It is just perfect for an exciting visual presentation.

Steel pushing and pulling is hard visually since it manifests in blue lines emanating from the user. Emotional allomancy that pulls and pushes on emotion would be hard too. Most Allomancy is only visible to the user. You'd have to figure out some mechanic like the color blue that the audience can see, but not all of the characters.
I think Mistborn would translate to an amazing video game.
Silian Rail
I loved Mistborn but couldn't get into the steampunk series, maybe I'll try again. Need to also read rhythm of war, but need to re read all the other books in the series first as I've forgotten the Kaladin arc
Chipotlemonger
AG
Rather, I should have said, I think the latter Mistborn books would do great on screen. All of the Wax & Wayne stuff.
Lathspell
AG
I just went ahead and purchased the leather-bound editions of Alloy of Law, Shadows of Self, Well of Ascension, and Hero of Ages.

That joins my collection of Way of Kings, Elantris, Warbreaker, and Mistborn. I believe the only signed editions i have are Way of Kings and Mistborn. I'll get some of the others signed the next time Sanderson comes to town.
maverick2076
I just got shipment notification on my first swag box.
Eliminatus
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

I just went ahead and purchased the leather-bound editions of Alloy of Law, Shadows of Self, Well of Ascension, and Hero of Ages.

That joins my collection of Way of Kings, Elantris, Warbreaker, and Mistborn. I believe the only signed editions i have are Way of Kings and Mistborn. I'll get some of the others signed the next time Sanderson comes to town.

This is my plan too. I was holding out for signed from Dragonsteel but that may take literally years and so broke down and finished out Mistborn no signed for now. Glad I did. Hated having an incomplete series when it is literally meant for eye candy. Just need WoK now!.

Another Doug
AG
As a Doug, I like this line from the new book

Quote:

Once a society reaches peak Doug, it's time for it to go sit in the corner and think about what it has done.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Another Doug said:

Quote:

Once a society reaches peak Doug, it's time for it to go sit in the corner and think about what it has done.

I keep seeing Doug references on Reddit.

Speaking of, with the delays between the swag box buyers, the audiobook being released a few weeks later, and the hard copy hitting book shelves 4 months later, how would you guys like to handle discussion of the SP novels?

Btw, the book is available to listen to on Spotify now.
maverick2076
I think they need to be spoiler tagged.
cbr
AG
Quick summary please -

These are fantasy novels by an author named Sanderson that are in a series called storm light?

Which novels are good and where to start?
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Stormlight is one series of many that are set in the same universe called the Cosmere. All written by Brandon Sanderson.

Here is a recommended reading order I used. Seems like most people here started with the Mistborn series, which is more of a casual fantasy series than Stormlight, which is a massive high fantasy series.

This thread has basically become discussion for all of Sanderson's cosmere works.
cbr
AG
Thank you!
Saxsoon
AG
Another Doug said:

Quote:

The whimsicality of this book has been really great. At times it reads like Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
heddleston
AG
Marsh has apparently been there, because Tress mentions Death with nails in his eyes
Saxsoon
AG
heddleston said:

Marsh has apparently been there, because Tress mentions Death with nails in his eyes

So end of Lost Metal in the Arcanum, Kriss speculates that Death as a concept is spreading throughout the Cosmere as a thought which was surprising to her. Either through rumormongering or something more spiritual.
Roll the Bones
AG
Just wrapped up the Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson, 3rd book in the first Mistborn trilogy. Holy cow, what a perfect ending to that story!

One thing I was confused about - When Vin consumed the mists and I guess took up the shard of Preservation, how did it suddenly become night, even though Elend noted that the time was still the middle of the day, and the sun should have been out? Did she somehow rotate the planet to keep that area from being scorched by the sun? And what about the other side of the planet that would have now been being scorched? Was it not inhabited? Was there not another continent out there?
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Roll the Bones said:

Just wrapped up the Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson, 3rd book in the first Mistborn trilogy. Holy cow, what a perfect ending to that story!

One thing I was confused about - When Vin consumed the mists and I guess took up the shard of Preservation, how did it suddenly become night, even though Elend noted that the time was still the middle of the day, and the sun should have been out? Did she somehow rotate the planet to keep that area from being scorched by the sun? And what about the other side of the planet that would have now been being scorched? Was it not inhabited? Was there not another continent out there?

For the first part, I thought all of the skies were covered from the ash mounts? Unless I'm missing something. For the second, As Brandon likes to say, RAFO. (Read and find out).
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Just finished Tress of the Emerald Seas, thought it was incredible.

End book spoilers
Hoid as an Elantrian is a terrifying concept. That's basically every magic system we have seen so far that he now has access to, right?
Roll the Bones
AG
Mistborn Hero of Ages spoiler: I guess I was confusing the mists and ash in my mind, but it happened at the same time - Vin taking in the mists and the skies clearing/day turning to night.

I think I blew past it at the moment I was reading and it didn't occur to me to stop and think about it at the time. Guess I need to go back and reread that part.
maverick2076
I got my first swag box from the Year of Sanderson Kickstarter today. It is a Hoid themed box, with a tshirt, mouse pad, sticky notes, gold seals, and a Hoid character pin.
Lathspell
AG
Can we all agree to labeling a spoiler by book, before spoiler tagging? Only because this is a generic Cosmere thread and there are so many freaking books.

Now I'm afraid to mouse over anything because I don't know if it's a spoiler from one of his two newest books or from older ones. Honestly, I figure a Cosmere thread a decade after a book release shouldn't require spoiler tags for those older books.
Roll the Bones
AG
I agree - I updated my last post to clarify the spoiler is about Hero of Ages.

I appreciate it when y'all use the spoiler tags for older books since there are so many massive books to get through and some of us haven't been reading Sanderson for as long as others. I know someone in the thread just read Elantris for the first time and I just finished Mistborn era 1 books for the first time. I have not read anything outside of the Stormlight Archives and Mistborn era 1 but will be attacking the others as best I can.

I think someone mentioned starting a Cosmere thread that would be better for all of the books, Brandon's YT channel announcements, etc. and returning this one more to focusing on just the Stormlight Archive?
Roll the Bones
AG
By the way, I found this article about recommended reading order for all of the Cosmere books and it seems useful to me. Might be of use to some others as well.

I didn't follow their recommendations to start since I began with reading all of the Stormlight books before getting to anything else, but in hindsight it may have made it easier to follow some parts of SA.

https://thequilltolive.com/2023/01/13/cosmere-reading-order/
Lathspell
AG
My 4 books came in, today. My leatherbound Sanderson collection is complete as they currently exist!

I can't wait until the Words of Radiance leatherbound. May be my favorite book of all time, so I will probably do the highest tier and get a signed, numbered issue.

Eliminatus
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

My 4 books came in, today. My leatherbound Sanderson collection is complete as they currently exist!

I can't wait until the Words of Radiance leatherbound. May be my favorite book of all time, so I will probably do the highest tier and get a signed, numbered issue.

Gorgeous! I'm just waiting on WoK to come back in stock to finish out my collection

To anyone else who likes and appreciates special editions, these are legit. I have bought some in the past where you can still tell corners were cut and were less than stellar for what you pay.

Yes, these books are expensive and yes they are a luxury item. But they are also extremely well made and "worth it" to me. These are some of the highest quality books I have held that were not handcrafted 100%. Dragonsteel makes a legitimate fantastic product.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.