Sanderson Stormlight

82,157 Views | 987 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by heddleston
DallasTeleAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Good for Brandon. I didn't even know that's what Audible paid their authors.
Saxsoon
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

Good for Brandon. I didn't even know that's what Audible paid their authors.

I had no idea either
Chipotlemonger
AG
Quote:

The other big mark this year (other than the aforementioned "I can't talk about this yet" things that are still happening in Hollywood)
hunter2012
AG
It sounds like that's just the Indy authors who don't have backing of a publisher. Or did I misread it? The shame here is it sounds like the secret projects are the "only" thing we're getting in the Cosmere this year. Sounds like Brandon wants to finish all of the "era 1s" before moving to the next phase. Also Note the name of Stormlight 5: Knights of Wind and Truth, will the Radiant Order be doing some soul searching regarding humanity being the voidbringers? It's also interesting that the stakes are higher now that spren can now be killed. and what the hell is Cultivation after anyway? Not sure if I needed to spoil the above since RoW has been out for 2 years.

Another note I found it fascinating that the majority of consumption is through audiobook, I think he said ~70%? Regardless with how fast life is most people probably listen to the books on commutes or runs or something.

Can we put a rule on how long spoilers are viable since at some point the reader is just living under a rock?
Chipotlemonger
AG
hunter2012 said:

Can we put a rule on how long spoilers are viable since at some point the reader is just living under a rock?
I am down for this. Not sure what length of time is appropriate though.
Quad Dog
AG
Love how transparent Sanderson is. And also how much he looks out for the interests of writers smaller than him.
Eliminatus
AG
Saxsoon said:

https://www.brandonsanderson.com/state-of-the-sanderson-2022/

Sanderson ripped Audible a new *******

Quote:

Here's where the gold star goes to Speechify. Let me tell you, they came to me and saidfull of enthusiasm for the projectthey'd give me 100%. I almost took it, but then I asked the owner (who is a great guy) if this was a deal he could give other authors, or if it was a deal only Brandon Sanderson could get. He considered that, then said he'd be willing to do industry standard70%for any author who lists their books directly on Speechify a la carte. So I told him I wanted that deal, if he agreed to let me make the terms of our deal public.

I've made enough on this Kickstarter. I don't need to squeeze people for every pennybut what I do want to do is find a way to provide options for authors. I think that by agreeing to these two deals, I'm doing that. We have the open offer from Speechify, and we have Spotify trying very hard to break Audible's near-monopoly.
What an absolute Chad. I wish we had more people like him in this world.
Saxsoon
AG
I feel like Mistborn is likely the first thing we are getting in Hollywood. Jenna Ortega or Dafne Keen would be my first hopes for Vin
DallasTeleAg
It may actually be a Stormlight show, based on the live events Sanderson has been doing. He seems very confident they will be on set for one either 2023 or 2024.
Orome
AG
I thought he mentioned in one of his podcasts he was trying to get Mistborn adapted?
DallasTeleAg
He has. He said he saw The Final Empire as a movie, and possibly the rest of the trilogy as a TV series. However, I know I posted one of his live signings here where he specifically said he wouldn't be surprised to be on set filming a Stormlight show by mid 2023.
Saxsoon
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

He has. He said he saw The Final Empire as a movie, and possibly the rest of the trilogy as a TV series. However, I know I posted one of his live signings here where he specifically said he wouldn't be surprised to be on set filming a Stormlight show by mid 2023.

How long ago was that.

Given Hollywood things can probably change quickly especially considering the erosion of the streaming market this year and the losses
DallasTeleAg
As i said in my post, I linked the video earlier in this thread. I posted it on August 6th.
Saxsoon
AG
Decided to pause on my stormlight reread and just read lost metal. Almost half way through

Lost Metal/Brandon just decided to say **** it and fully blow the doors off on the Cosmere. Shai, Ghostbloods, Autonomy, Odium, Shadesmar, Marewill, Hoid
Eliminatus
AG
Finally got around to reading Warbreaker. I don't know why it surprised me but it did. Really enjoyed it. So much I ended up starting and finishing in one sitting.

It's getting harder to find authors with Sandersons chops that can keep me satisfied to this level. Still haven't gotten to Elantris or Secret History yet. Next on the TBR.
Flatlander
Saxsoon said:

Lost Metal/Brandon just decided to say **** it and fully blow the doors off on the Cosmere.
He said as much during the Lost Metal release event in November. Previously he purposely kept the 'overlap' from being to such an extent that you'd have to read the entire Cosmere to know what was going on. The Lost Metal represents a change in that sentiment. He said that now "the gloves are off."
Saxsoon
AG
Flatlander said:

Saxsoon said:

Lost Metal/Brandon just decided to say **** it and fully blow the doors off on the Cosmere.
He said as much during the Lost Metal release event in November. Previously he purposely kept the 'overlap' from being to such an extent that you'd have to read the entire Cosmere to know what was going on. The Lost Metal represents a change in that sentiment. He said that now "the gloves are off."

I know someone that is gonna hate this because he loves stormlight but hates mistborn
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Eliminatus said:

Ya know, I think I am about to speak some heresy but I am not actually sure if I appreciate the full interconnected Cosmere universe. Do we know if he is going to have some final final series that ties absolutely everything together or something? If not, it all seems kind of pointless and extraneous and more to keep track of.

Also my leatherbound Wax and Wayne bundle shipped. I didn't think it was happening till late Q1. Quite the pleasant surprise though!

He has said that he is going to be finally working on the Hoid backstory series after finishing SA5. I would expect that to be a significant series, even if the conflicts that get set up sun that series are ultimately resolved in another series like Stormlight.

I can understand your sentiment, but I think that, similar to the Lost Metal, now we will finally get in-book explanations for powers vs just setting them up as Easter eggs that you have to go back and read another 600 page book to fully appreciate.

I think a bigger issue when trying to wrap up the story is how many different magic systems he has set up in Stormlight alone. We are at what, at least 5 now? Honor's and Cultivation's surgebinding, Odium's version, Sja Anat's version, fabrial science, and then what appears to be some kind of hemalurgy based on what they have shown for El? I just hope he doesn't GRRM himself where he spreads out so many different mechanics that it becomes too burdensome to read without a degree in magical physics.

If anyone can do it though, it's Sanderson.

Madmarttigan
AG
Does anyone else get lost in the sheer vastness of details that Sanderson writes. Honestly the cosmere stuff is all very overwhelming.

I am weird and try to reread Stormlight prior to a new book and completely lost momentum during Oathbringer and haven't even read Rhythm of War.

Stormlight is daunting enough but now you add the cosmere stuff and it's just neverending detail. It's amazing what he has done and how it is all connected but damn my memory is too terrible for all this stuff.
Roll the Bones
AG
I'm the same way. I don't even try to remember all the small details and tie different things together. I just go with the flow and enjoy the ride.

I have read all of Stormlight including the two novellas, and read the first 2 books twice each in rereads when the fourth book came out. Otherwise I will go find a wiki article with a summary of the first few books when the next one comes out.

I just started reading Mistborn era 1 for the first time. I'm on the middle book and enjoying it greatly although I like Stormlight better. I'm not sure if I will need to read all the Mistborn eras 1 and 2 novels before the kickstarter secret books that start to arrive next month? It sounds like there are going to be some sort of read along, book club kind of deals through his YT channel but I may not have read enough of his works to appreciate it. Would be fun to do though if the secret novels aren't going to ruin Mistborn or the other books I have not yet read.

Saxsoon
AG
I don't think the first one will and thankfully mistborn are quickish reads
Saxsoon
AG
Madmarttigan said:

Does anyone else get lost in the sheer vastness of details that Sanderson writes. Honestly the cosmere stuff is all very overwhelming.

I am weird and try to reread Stormlight prior to a new book and completely lost momentum during Oathbringer and haven't even read Rhythm of War.

Stormlight is daunting enough but now you add the cosmere stuff and it's just neverending detail. It's amazing what he has done and how it is all connected but damn my memory is too terrible for all this stuff.

Coppermind Wiki has been a godsend
Chipotlemonger
AG
I'll have to take a look at that. Reading Lost Metal now.
Pepper Brooks
AG
Roll the Bones said:

I'm the same way. I don't even try to remember all the small details and tie different things together. I just go with the flow and enjoy the ride.

I have read all of Stormlight including the two novellas, and read the first 2 books twice each in rereads when the fourth book came out. Otherwise I will go find a wiki article with a summary of the first few books when the next one comes out.

I just started reading Mistborn era 1 for the first time. I'm on the middle book and enjoying it greatly although I like Stormlight better. I'm not sure if I will need to read all the Mistborn eras 1 and 2 novels before the kickstarter secret books that start to arrive next month? It sounds like there are going to be some sort of read along, book club kind of deals through his YT channel but I may not have read enough of his works to appreciate it. Would be fun to do though if the secret novels aren't going to ruin Mistborn or the other books I have not yet read.

Curious to know how you feel about book 3 once you get to it.
AgLiving06
I rely on reddit to keep me caught up on all the nuances.

That and I tend to reread the books every couple years so between those 2, I catch new things.
Eliminatus
AG
My collection of signed copies grows a little larger with alloy of law and shadows of self arriving today.

Orome
AG
How'd you get those leather bound editions??
DallasTeleAg
You buy them from Brandon's online store, Dragonsteel. If you subscribe to his YouTube channel, he announces them.

The Stormlight books are done as GoFundMe initiatives.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Eliminatus said:

My collection of signed copies grows a little larger with alloy of law and shadows of self arriving today.

Your Mistborn book, is it just the first novel, or the entire series?
DallasTeleAg
That's the first novel. He has released Well of Ascension and Hero of Ages as well.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Thanks. It's very cool. Is the title Mistborn and The Final Empire interchangeable?
DallasTeleAg
It has become so since the release of the book. Most people just call the Final Empire "Mistborn", though technically it is the Mistborn Trilogy.
Eliminatus
AG
Definitely Not A Cop said:

Thanks. It's very cool. Is the title Mistborn and The Final Empire interchangeable?

It is. Threw me for a loop as well at first.

He announces new print runs on his social media accounts, which my sister pays attention to and then informs me about them. He has promised that as long as people keep buying he will keep making them so no real FOMO at this point. Still takes a while to get a print run in and they are still usually pretty limited.

I am just waiting to see how many signed copies I can get, hopefully all eventually. So I am being a bit picky and waiting for those signed batches to pop up. Which are even more rare as you can imagine. I am sure I will reach a point where I don't care anymore and just go for the full leatherbound collection signed or nah.
Orome
AG
Question for you guys. Currently reading Arcanum Unbounded. Is there a book that goes into the history of the cosmere (like the Silmarillion?). The intro into each system talks about things like the Battle of Shards and the Shattering and it hasn't really explained that. I'm just using context and content to figure out a broad stroke of the history.
Saxsoon
AG
Orome said:

Question for you guys. Currently reading Arcanum Unbounded. Is there a book that goes into the history of the cosmere (like the Silmarillion?). The intro into each system talks about things like the Battle of Shards and the Shattering and it hasn't really explained that. I'm just using context and content to figure out a broad stroke of the history.
So Brandon has several unpublished novels that he has currently shelved as he wrote them all before his first published book of Elantris. Hoid/Wit was the main character of Dragonsteel (hence the name of his company) and it shows the shattering of Adolnasium to my understanding. However the only existing copy to be read is at BYU in the library there because it was his graduate thesis. He is currently reworking the story and plans to release it at some point after Stormlight 5. Most of what we know is from really clever readers getting answers out of Brandon at conventions and stuff which are archived on the Coppermind or 17th Shard Wiki.

I probably don't have all that right but close enough.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.